Randy Moss to Pats?

faba

Moss could grow on Pats -- Gabriel backs deal for former Raider teammate

By John Tomase

Boston Herald Sports Writer

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - Updated: 06:52 AM EST

FOXBORO - One impact NFL player desperately wants to be traded before today’s 4 p.m. deadline. A Sports Illustrated report over the weekend said the Patriots could be interested.

That player is Randy Moss. And the man who knows him better than anyone in the Patriots locker room says he’d make a seamless transition here.

“He’d be a perfect fit in this offense,” said former Raiders teammate Doug Gabriel. “He loves to work. If Randy were here, every other receiver would want to pick up their games 110 percent. It wouldn’t just be a small push. It would be a big push.” httpMoss wants out of Oakland, where the winless Raiders are the laughingstocks of the NFL. He has requested a trade and by all accounts would be open to playing in New England, where he could satisfy his desire to win a championship.

Whether the Patriots and Raiders could even agree on an asking price is the great unknown, but the Patriots own two first-round picks in next year’s draft. Speaking of the trade deadline in general, Patriots coach Bill Belichick wouldn’t rule out anything yesterday.

“I wouldn’t say we’re actively trying to do anything, but if the opportunity was there, we would definitely look into it,” Belichick said. “Every day, all 365 of them, if we have an opportunity to improve this team, we’ll take it.”

Though the odds of Moss being moved are remote, they’re not nonexistent, even in a league in which blockbuster in-season deals rarely occur.

Because of a change in the collective bargaining agreement noted by SI over the weekend, the Raiders are in a much better position to handle the cap hit if they trade Moss, who has $4.85 million remaining on this season’s contract and $21 million over the next two years.

Instead of absorbing Moss’ prorated yearly cap numbers at once, the Raiders could push them off to next season, making a trade more palatable.

The 29-year-old Moss already has topped 10,000 yards and 100 touchdowns since being selected in the first round of the 1998 draft by the Vikings. The Patriots passed on him that year in favor of Robert Edwards after owner Robert Kraft and player personnel man Bobby Grier deemed his character issues too troubling.

Moss has been accused of quitting on the Raiders this season.

“I don’t know him, but if he came here and was a good citizen, worked hard and played the way he has in the past, he’d be a good fit,” said Patriots safety Rodney Harrison. “But if he came in here and was a distraction and a disruption, he wouldn’t be a good fit.”

Gabriel said the Pats would have nothing to worry about, because he believes Moss is the most misunderstood player in the league. The two talk frequently and spoke Saturday, though they didn’t talk trade.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hope this doesn't happen. NE isn't exactly horrible right now & Brady-Moss could be a lethal combo.

Or he could end up being a thorn in the Patriots ass. Moss is still the kind of player that takes plays off, wants the ball 99% of the time; a lighter version of T Owens.

Right now, Brady gets the ball to just about every receiver and back in a game. I think if Moss was thrown into the mix, some of the Pats team chemistry would be sacrificed and perhaps other players would begin to show dissent.

So, I think it would be a bad idea for the Patriots to go after him.

just imagine....MOSS-COLES-COTCH....that would be nice...

It would be nice. It would also be a waste of cap room and the first-rounder required to get him in the first place. WR is one of the few areas we don't need upgrading at all.

I'd rather have a legit 2-gap NT who doesn't get blown off the line.

just imagine....MOSS-COLES-COTCH....that would be nice...

I ALWAYS wanted Moss and Chad together again-won't ever happen unless the Jets do a little defensive trading-to block what NE wants to do-you know just for spite-I'd love that

It would be nice. It would also be a waste of cap room and the first-rounder required to get him in the first place. WR is one of the few areas we don't need upgrading at all.

oh i agree 100%...but it still would be nice..;)

Moss is the type of player that would be the anti-Belicheck player. He is a "me-first" type. Someone mentioned a T.O. lite - that's a fair description. An excellent skills talent, with a 10 cent brain.

They said the same thing about Dillon to.

Gabriel was singing the praises of Moss this past week when asked. Said he is the hardest working player he knows.

Hard work aside, I think his past taking plays off would be a deal killer. Short of getting a 50 cents on the dollar trade, I doubt this deal is more then the speculation it is.

They said the same thing about Dillon to.

Gabriel was singing the praises of Moss this past week when asked. Said he is the hardest working player he knows.

Hard work aside, I think his past taking plays off would be a deal killer. Short of getting a 50 cents on the dollar trade, I doubt this deal is more then the speculation it is.

Wishful thinking. I just can't see it happening. I would suspect the Raiders would want a first and NO WAY the Pats deal one of their firsts for Moss.

However, I would do it! Moss - he of checkered past - is no T.O. - the Grand Puke of the Gridiron. I'd give it a shot. Dillon worked out prettty well!

Good thing I don't run the team.;)

That sure would be nice.

The only missing piece in that combination is a real NFL QB who can deliver them the football.;)

Holy sh!t

You gotta be kidding me!? What is wrong with you?

Is there any point of your daily life that you are not thinking about Chad Pennington? or a conversational topic that you can't somehow squeeze his name in?

TX you are pathetic.

Holy sh!t

You gotta be kidding me!? What is wrong with you?

Is there any point of your daily life that you are not thinking about Chad Pennington? or a conversational topic that you can't somehow squeeze his name in?

TX you are pathetic.

Exactly where did I mention PennyBoy?

Exactly where did I mention PennyBoy?

Someone posted that they thought it would be awesome to have Moss/Coles/Cotchery. Your reply:

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post

That sure would be nice.

The only missing piece in that combination is a real NFL QB who can deliver them the football.

Now, what the F is that supposed to mean, are you not implying that the Jets don't have a real NFL QB? Who is the Jets QB?

You're such a dick.

You mean the QB who set NCAA records with Moss at Marshall isn't a real QB?:eek:

Stuff like that means nothing. There's a receiver at the University of New Hampshire who just broke Jerry Rice's 1-AA NCAA record. I'll bet my entire savings that this guy will never come close to Jerry Rice's professional career - let alone actually make an NFL roster.

That sure would be nice.

The only missing piece in that combination is a real NFL QB who can deliver them the football.;)

Moss is probably the only player in the league that actually would benefit from penny's floaters. If Moss can make Culpepper look good, then Pennington definitely would like like a Pro-Bowl QB too. Penny's weakness is that he can't carry a team against top defenses, but with Moss there, he doesn't have to. If the Jets insist on keeping Chad, they need to grab a pro-bowl caliber true go-to WR. Coles and Cotchery are not it. Moss is.

Stuff like that means nothing. There's a receiver at the University of New Hampshire who just broke Jerry Rice's 1-AA NCAA record. I'll bet my entire savings that this guy will never come close to Jerry Rice's professional career - let alone actually make an NFL roster.

That would be how much? :)

I agree. NT has to be one of our priorities in the off-season. However, the Jets could make far worse moves than getting an all-pro wr for Pennington to throw to.

Imagine a reunited Chad Pennington and Randy Moss? The thought puts butterflies in my stomach.

As for Moss in NE I could see it happening. Corey Dillon wasn't supposed to be a Belichek-type player but he's fit in well there.

I agree. NT has to be one of our priorities in the off-season. However, the Jets could make far worse moves than getting an all-pro wr for Pennington to throw to.

Imagine a reunited Chad Pennington and Randy Moss? The thought puts butterflies in my stomach.

As for Moss in NE I could see it happening. Corey Dillon wasn't supposed to be a Belichek-type player but he's fit in well there.

It has to be THE priority in the offseason. Even more than a pass-rushing OLB.

Archived