Brad Smith

AFJF

I think this is the week we see him throw the ball out of an end around/reverse type of play. We've seen him take the ball a few times and I'm sure it's been done throughout the season to set up a trick play in a big game. Two reverses early on last week with one to Smith. Is this the week he uncorks a bomb downfield?

Leon Johnson in Detroit anyone?

dam,took the words right out of my mouth,Max.What a blast from the past! lol

I also remember we got a TD out of one in a big game vs. the Ravens at the end of the year in the Al Groh era.We lost that one though if my memory serves me.

I would hope we would use B.Smith in a trick play that didn't involve him taking the snap from center and running.

It's time to let B.Smith let it fly baby, let it fly!

No kidding.

A real TRICK play would be letting Smith throw it.

And it's not really the same as Leon Johnson - Smith was actually a QB.

IMO the difference between the Leon play and what Mangini would do (and obviously I'm just guessing on this) is that I wouldn't expect the play in a critical situation that could have a more direct impact on the outcome. I'd expect it early on for a shot at a quick score and if the worst happens (INT run back for a TD) there's time to overcome it. I don't expect to see it late in the 4th qtr of a close game. Also as mentioned, the guy we'd be using now would be able to throw it better than Leon Johnson or Lamont Jordan ever could.

I dont think somesort of play involving Brad Smith throwing the ball (the guy was a pretty damn good qb) is an act of desperation, more like needless cretivity. but I agree, I dont see it happening this week given the circumstance. However, I would like to see 5 or 6 touches from Big Brad by days end, too much speed not to utilize

I am all for getting Smith more involved in the offense. That guy can FLY. I love watching him on special teams. Seems that nobody can keep up with him.

Yes he was a QB in college. But if he hasn't thrown a pass all year, now is not the time to start. Dance with the girl that you brought to the dance. If Smith throws a costly interception everyone will say it was a stupid play, no way they should have taken that chance, etc.

He played QB in college but he wasn't terribly accurate. No need to start testing it now.

He played QB in college and there is a reason we drafted Clemens and not SMith to be our future QB.... Lets not have him start throwing now...

I heard somewhere the reason he didnt make it as an NFL QB was actually lack of arm strength.

I am all for getting Smith more involved in the offense. That guy can FLY. I love watching him on special teams. Seems that nobody can keep up with him.

Yes he was a QB in college. But if he hasn't thrown a pass all year, now is not the time to start. Dance with the girl that you brought to the dance. If Smith throws a costly interception everyone will say it was a stupid play, no way they should have taken that chance, etc.

He played QB in college but he wasn't terribly accurate. No need to start testing it now.

Actually he was fairly accurate. 237-399 His senior year. Just under 60% Not to bad.

I actually just read an old mock draft article from before the '05 season rating the '06 draft class that had him rated real high as a qb prospect.

Link?

Maybe we can just cut Ramsey and Keep Pennington Clemens and Smith as our QB's

If the Jets plan to do that it wouldn't be surprising. Why? New England has usually carried 2 Quaterbacks in Brady & Cassell. Why they have Vinny? Who knows but in recent seasons they've carried 2 and I could see the Jets doing that only if Mangini truely believed Chad would not go down. You could have Chad & Kellen as the only two QB's here but in that sense you'd take away B.Smith's development as a WR and I wouldn't want that.

Just go with 3 QB's (for many reasons, some listed above) and stick with B.Smith at WR. Let him play QB on trick plays or like this season, in Game 4 of the Preseason.

Link?

Maybe we can just cut Ramsey and Keep Pennington Clemens and Smith as our QB's

I was just dicking around looking for info on Alfonso Hodge. Trying to find out if his "4.36 40 time" was real (like the combine) or one of those downhill, track, wind at the back pro-day times. It was probably some Mizzou college mock draft. I'm with 124, Brad Smith doesn't need to waste time taking reps at qb when he hasn't mastered WR yet. Wouldn't be bad seeing him take reps as a holder though. I love Graham, and I know he's a better athlete than other punters, but Smith would have to throw a little more fear into the opposition. Not to mention the opportunity to switch in and out of kick formations.

Archived