Why don't I hate Herm?

lancemehl

I need to be set straight,guys.

Obviously I'm missing something,I've always considered myself a true green-blooded jet fan,even though I'm in South Florida,I try to stay current with them and I love talking Jet football with other die-hards like The Jet Nation.

But for some reason,I don't dislike Herm.I actually thought he was one of the few successful coaches we've had here.

He made the playoffs 3 times in 5 years and 1 of those he played with his 3rd string QB,noone could do that.He's 2-2 in the playoffs.

They were always near the top in fewest penalties.

I mean,he made a bunch of gameday mistakes,managing the clock.His conditioning program was suspect,but the mental discipline was there as evidenced by the penalties.

and the players DID like him.

With that being said,I'll just say 2 things:

1.I like Mangini a million times better.

2.I'm open for arguments to change my mind,It could very well be that I'm missing something.

PS.

I think the Cheifs vs. the spread is a LOCK.

Think of it this way, Herm got a talented roster handed it to him and the outcome was last years disaster....

He has a piss poor training program, starts people becuase of who they are, doesnt punish players EVER, claim to fame was being a master motivator but as you can see even Mangini is already better....

The guy is a fraud and took a VERY GOOD Jets team to the playoffs almost on pure luck, backing in each time, never dominating, and he tore this team apart last year.

and he tore this team apart last year.

Elaborate,please,ecurb.I really want to change my mind on this,but I'm not there yet.His record,along with 2 playoff wins makes him successful despite the "flaws" you pointed out,but if you can tell me how he tore the team apart,you got me....

Elaborate,please,ecurb.I really want to change my mind on this,but I'm not there yet.His record,along with 2 playoff wins makes him successful despite the "flaws" you pointed out,but if you can tell me how he tore the team apart,you got me....

Here ya go!!!Sperm nailed it!!

Let me give this a crack.

2000 NYJ (Al Groh): 9-7

Obviously I'm missing something,I've always considered myself a true green-blooded jet fan,even though I'm in South Florida,I try to stay current with them and I love talking Jet football with other die-hards like The Jet Nation.

But for some reason,I don't dislike Herm.I actually thought he was one of the few successful coaches we've had here.

He made the playoffs 3 times in 5 years and 1 of those he played with his 3rd string QB,noone could do that.He's 2-2 in the playoffs.

I mean,he made a bunch of gameday mistakes,managing the clock.His conditioning program was suspect,but the mental discipline was there as evidenced by the penalties.

2.I'm open for arguments to change my mind,It could very well be that I'm missing something.

PS.

I look at this issue as Die Hard fan vs. casual fan. If you are a casual fan, you see the numbers, and just cant see why so many people despise him. The die hard watched every game of the Herm Edwards era and saw play after play how he screwed up... not just the obvious game clock issues... If you go back and watch the games from the Herm Edwards era you will see why.

For me its tough to quantify and say, "here. this is why he sucked." Its more of a feeling about him I had watching his teams playing week after week. I never felt that he knew what he was doing or how to prepare his teams. I believe we could have been a much better team, we had the talent, he just never found the way to use it to propel us to greatness.

If you want to look at the numbers, then yes, Herm did a good job. For fans, thats what we care about is the final result. But breaking it down play by play, analyzing what they did, you will see Herm is mediocre as a coach, with lots of luck on his side. And Im not talking about the "injury" years... even when we made the playoffs I never really liked Herm... I really wanted him gone after the Pittsburgh debacle, that was his tenure in a nutshell... I disliked him before that game, and hated him afterwards.

With Mangini, I feel like we have a guy who knows what he wants his team to do and how to gameplan against the other team. I NEVER felt Herm prepared for any opponent.

Just my thoughts...

Here ya go!!!Sperm nailed it!!

Wow,that was great!I'm sure the Rich Kotite,Joe Walton and Bruce Coslett stories are much worse,the Al Groh's is too short and Pete Carroll had covered his tracks with all the success he's had at USC since,

BUT,

great post,Sperm.

You got me!!!!lol

Wow,that was great!I'm sure the Rich Kotite,Joe Walton and Bruce Coslett stories are much worse,the Al Groh's is too short and Pete Carroll had covered his tracks with all the success he's had at USC since,

BUT,

great post,Sperm.

You got me!!!! lol

Tough to mention him in a post without insulting yourself or sounding funny... right?

I look at this issue as Die Hard fan vs. casual fan. ...

Please don't go there,I've lived every heartbreak since Joe Walton was spitting tobacco all over the sidelines.Granted,there are posters on here that have an incredible amount of knowledge and insight on the topic of Jets football,that's why I like coming to talk and learn,but I don't think "casual fan" applies to any of us. lol

what turned me was last year LM-finding out the day before the KC opener he's out to dinner with Carl Petersen already plotting his departure.Then we proceed to get blown out-looking totally unprepared-I mean even perennial pro bowler Mawae couldn't shotgun it-that shocked me.

Then the game that Chad got hurt-with still a shot at winning and with a perfectly healthy Brooks Bollinger on the bench he puts Chad back in with a torn rotator cuff-Chad's pass in the EZ to Chrebet is slow and lofty-a stronger armed QB completes that pass and we win.

Then the Ravens game that Bollinger started they totally handcuff the guy,playing not to lose-we do anyway.

Then the coup de gras for me was when the season was already lost he announces that the Jets were gonna play to try and get Curtis his thousand yards-might as well fax the playbook over to the remaining opponents-I'd never heard of such folly from a HC in the NFL

I don't hate Herm cause he's a crappy coach. The team did okay for years despite his inept game management. He must have done something right. I hate Herm for swearing up and down he never spoke to the Chiefs and that he was going to be the coach of the Jets in '06, then asking for an extension to continue the rebuilding process with the Jets. What he was rebuilding from I don't know, since the team was handed to him in fine shape. The POS outright lied up and down the whole year, had obviously been speaking with KC and had his office cleared out before the players did. It would be okay with me for coaches to lie for personal gain, but I won't accept that from Herm - a man who found it unacceptable to fib about next week's game plan.

Watching the game today, seeing the Chiefs having no timeouts with 5 minutes left in the game, getting no first downs for 3 qtrs with the same offense that was so explosive under Vermeil, seeing Herm on the sidelines looking clueless, all these things make me so happy Herm is no longer a Jet.

When the hell did Sperm originally post that? That is BY FAR the best post I've ever read on any message board in my message board career, which unfortunately for me I'm a big enough loser to admit that I'm an 8 year vet.

2 days ago... click the little orange thing next to his name in the quote

Please don't go there,I've lived every heartbreak since Joe Walton was spitting tobacco all over the sidelines.Granted,there are posters on here that have an incredible amount of knowledge and insight on the topic of Jets football,that's why I like coming to talk and learn,but I don't think "casual fan" applies to any of us. lol

I dont mean casual as tuning in here and there and barely following the game. I mean diehard as people who analyze every play we run, everything the team does. Too many fans just sit back and watch the game and listen to the announcers tell them whats happening. I cant sit there and just "watch" a game. I am too wrapped up in the little things that happen during a game, and what I call casual are the people who dont notice the little things.

Its not meant as a disrespect, just how someone views a game. In my mind, if you paid attention to the little things that happened during a game, you would have seen why Herm is despised... If you just watched the game, you would miss it. Sorry if my explanation sucks...

PS.

ouch hope you didnt bet the house.

I don't hate Herm cause he's a crappy coach. The team did okay for years despite his inept game management. He must have done something right. I hate Herm for swearing up and down he never spoke to the Chiefs and that he was going to be the coach of the Jets in '06, then asking for an extension to continue the rebuilding process with the Jets. What he was rebuilding from I don't know, since the team was handed to him in fine shape. The POS outright lied up and down the whole year, had obviously been speaking with KC and had his office cleared out before the players did. It would be okay with me for coaches to lie for personal gain, but I won't accept that from Herm - a man who found it unacceptable to fib about next week's game plan.

this is the one thing I actually love Herm for. If he didn't orchestrate his way out of town it would have been much harder fro Woody to fire him. Thankfully he went to that dinner and is now Peterson's problem. Its fun to watch him coach another team.

Archived