AFC East ,Biggest needs

gustoonarmy

Apparently Pete Prisco thinks that our starting QB is the biggest issue that we have , who starts?

I just wonder if he actually saw any of our games if he thinks thats our biggest need. Nice work Pete.

AFC questions: Analyzing each team's biggest need

3708.jpgFeb. 8, 2007

By Pete Prisco

CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer

Tell Pete your opinion!

dot.gif

When the clock ticked down to zeroes on the 2006 season last Sunday night -- the Pro Bowl doesn't count -- it meant it was time to start looking ahead to the 2007 season. Hey, there is no offseason in the NFL anymore.

img9984527.jpg Tom Brady could use some help at the wide receiver spot. (Getty Images) Each of the league's 32 teams, including the Super Bowl-champion Colts, have questions that need to be answered before the ball kicks off for real next September if they want to have any chance for a successful season.

Some teams can answer their major question and still not have a successful season, while others can answer theirs and it will put them over the top. But they all have them, some more than others.

In looking at the main issue facing each team, I thought we'd break them down into two columns by conference. The first one today is the AFC. The NFC questions column will follow early next week.

AFC East

New England Patriots

What do they do to upgrade the receiver spot?

They have two first-round picks in a deep receiver draft. That could lead to one of those picks being used on a receiver. And don't forget, they drafted Chad Jackson last year. He didn't play much in 2006 as a rookie, but he has skills. Jabar Gaffney and Reche Caldwell played well at times, but neither has star potential.

New York Jets

Who starts at quarterback on opening day?

Chad Pennington had a so-so season for the Jets in 2006 and Eric Mangini has said the competition will be open come training camp. That means second-year player Kellen Clemens, a player the Jets love, could be in line to push Pennington out.

img9984412.jpg

Buffalo Bills

What do they do to improve the run defense that was shredded all season?

They have to get bigger in the middle of their line and they probably need to find a new middle linebacker. London Fletcher makes a lot of tackles, but he isn't a real thumper in the middle. He's a free agent, so a decision is needed there. Teams ran at will against the Bills defense; they gave up 140.9 yards per game.

Miami Dolphins

What's the status of quarterback Daunte Culpepper?

New coach Cam Cameron has to find out where Culpepper and his damaged knee are in terms of progress. Then he has to decide how he can build his offense around him -- or if he can. Culpepper looked lost when he played last season. The knee injury was still a factor, but they don't have a lot of options other than him.

Hey Prisco...Youth in the linebacker corps is the greatest need.

For as bad a game as Caldwell had, the defense, in particular the linebackers virtually disappeared in the AFC Championship game.

I personally think Mike Nugent should switch over to QB....anybody with me on this?

I think he should too but the next best option is Kellen Clemens.

You know the great gods? Mike Nugent is one step above them. I go with no backfield, just Nuge quarterbacking and we spread that mother****in offense out!

Hey Prisco...Youth in the linebacker corps is the greatest need.

For as bad a game as Caldwell had, the defense, in particular the linebackers virtually disappeared in the AFC Championship game.

Poor guy..I can still sense bitter disappointment in you.:lol:

I want Clemens to start next year..I'll come right out and say it..the only way the Jets win a Super Bowl with Pennington, is with a dominating defense...and the Jets are far from being a dominating defense.

Pennington is one more bad injury away from retirement. Kellen Clemens blows and so does Patrick Ramsey. How is QB not a need?

Jets Needs:

QB

DT

OL

OLB

Pats Needs:

WR

Bills:

Offensive Line

Defensive Line

WR

CB - Clements probably will leave

Dolphins:

QB to fill in and compete with Culpeper (Damon Huard or Jake Plummer)

Secondary

Offensive Line

Pennington is one more bad injury away from retirement. Kellen Clemens blows and so does Patrick Ramsey. How is QB not a need?

Well, the Jets did draft him in the 2nd rd, did they not?

BTW, tell me how many games Clemens has started in his career? I'd like to see you answer this question.

Well, the Jets did draft him in the 2nd rd, did they not?

BTW, tell me how many games Clemens has started in his career? I'd like to see you answer this question.

Omar Jacobs has yet to start a game in his career. Whose to say he isn't better than Tom Brady and Peyton Manning?

The guy couldn't beat out Patrick Ramsey for the back-up job and now he's the salvation of this franchise.

Omar Jacobs has yet to start a game in his career. Whose to say he isn't better than Tom Brady and Peyton Manning?

The guy couldn't beat out Patrick Ramsey for the back-up job and now he's the salvation of this franchise.

Omar Jacobs was the last pick in the 5th rd, you butthole. He didnt even make the steelers team last year, practice squad player. Nice comparison!

BTW, dont compare Tom Brady and Peyton Manning to Chad Pennington. You're saying that beating out Pennington would be just as lilely as beating out Peyton and Brady? lmfao

And FYI, Chad was 3rd string to Ray Lucas his 1st year in the NFL, I guess Pennington must be worse than Ray Lucas because he didnt beat him out for the #2 his rookie year.

Owned. Now f#ck off.

The most important position in football = Quaterback.

Our quaterback has reached the plateau as to how far he can take us. Sure, we may be able to win a division, a home playoff game...maybe even a road playoff upset. But Chad will not be able to get us to and win a Super Bowl. Its as simple as that, and I love Chad.

So this guy is correct in putting the QB position at the top of the list.

If Tangini really believes in Clemens, get his as$ in there Week 1 of 2007. With Kellen at the helm we may have to take a small step back in '07 in order to take a big step forward in '08.

Omar Jacobs was the last pick in the 5th rd, you butthole. He didnt even make the steelers team last year, practice squad player. Nice comparison!

BTW, dont compare Tom Brady and Peyton Manning to Chad Pennington. You're saying that beating out Pennington would be just as lilely as beating out Peyton and Brady? lmfao

And FYI, Chad was 3rd string to Ray Lucas his 1st year in the NFL, I guess Pennington must be worse than Ray Lucas because he didnt beat him out for the #2 his rookie year.

Owned. Now f#ck off.

Wow, you're such a computer tough guy telling me to f*ck off. We passed up Matt Leinart and Jay Cutler for a 280 lb OT and a 5'11 QB. What a brilliant move. Glad to see someone with such a lack of football knowledge as you would vouch for it.

Oh and the only reason Ray Lucas was the back-up in 2000 was because the previous season he had the best year of his career filling in for an injured Vinny Testaverde. What did scrub Pat Ramsey do the year before coming here? Nothing.

The most important position in football = Quaterback.

Our quaterback has reached the plateau as to how far he can take us. Sure, we may be able to win a division, a home playoff game...maybe even a road playoff upset. But Chad will not be able to get us to and win a Super Bowl. Its as simple as that, and I love Chad.

So this guy is correct in putting the QB position at the top of the list.

If Tangini really believes in Clemens, get his as$ in there Week 1 of 2007. With Kellen at the helm we may have to take a small step back in '07 in order to take a big step forward in '08.

Bingo. It may sound crude and simple but QB is still the most important position in football. That is the leader of your team.

By the way, Kellen Clemens still sucks.

Wow, you're such a computer tough guy telling me to f*ck off. We passed up Matt Leinart and Jay Cutler for a 280 lb OT and a 5'11 QB. What a brilliant move. Glad to see someone with such a lack of football knowledge as you would vouch for it.

NO, I'll let Mangini and Tannenbaum and many nfl scouts vouch for it. But you think you know more than them, so obviously you are right.

Bingo. It may sound crude and simple but QB is still the most important position in football. That is the leader of your team.

By the way, Kellen Clemens still sucks.

How can we assume Clemens suks if we dont give him a chance?

...Clemens cant suk cuz if he does, this franchise is in touble.

How can we assume Clemens suks if we dont give him a chance?

...Clemens cant suk cuz if he does, this franchise is in touble.

Clemens sucking is irrelevant to the future of this franchise. Clemens is a 2nd round pick. The future of your franchise is in trouble when you waste a high pick and top $$ on a qb. Like Eli. We can soldier on with Chad or pickup a FA, like Brees, McNair, etc. No big deal. We have no way of knowing if Clemens sucks at this point, but that's not exactly a glowing recommendation.

New York Jets

Who starts at quarterback on opening day?

Chad Pennington had a so-so season for the Jets in 2006 and Eric Mangini has said the competition will be open come training camp. That means second-year player Kellen Clemens, a player the Jets love, could be in line to push Pennington out.

I take a couple of things out of this. First of all, Prisco isnt blowing smoke up CP's ass by kvelling about how great he was coming off surgery. "So-so" factors in the ints he threw, and other shortcomings. So, he isnt wearing his CP glasses.

Second, and if this is accurate, it is BIG, imho. "Clemens, a player the Jets love" may speak volumes. A lot of us have wanted to know how he was doing in practice. I even asked Gross about it in a chat, but he wasnt able to watch practice. So, if this guy is accurate that a year later, the Jets still "love" KC, then I think he must be doing well learning the system, and they believe he could make a challenge for the starting spot next year.

That is kind of optimistic for those of us who would love to see Clemens play next season. It's certainly a lot better than reading something like "the Jets have some doubts..." or something like that. So I take this little blurb as a good sign.

That is kind of optimistic for those of us who would love to see Clemens play next season. It's certainly a lot better than reading something like "the Jets have some doubts..." or something like that. So I take this little blurb as a good sign.

I too would love to see what we have in Clemens but not at the expense of a 5 win season-if Chad gets hurt at some point (which is a very real possibilty in this day and age) then yes I would...but from what I've seen so far I just don't know...

Archived