Jordan Rips Jets a Little Bit: Raiders Camp Report

TomShane

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2005/05/02/SPGM2CILO71.DTL

Hey, somebody pinch this guy: Jordan can't believe he's starting

Nancy Gay, Chronicle Staff Writer

Monday, May 2, 2005

This new title -- "starting running back" -- is still growing on LaMont Jordan. So it's no wonder he stood in the huddle with the first-team offense the past three days at Raiders' minicamp and caught himself checking over his shoulder.

Looking for Curtis Martin to tap him on the arm and replace him? Not here. Not anymore. After four seasons with the New York Jets as the understudy to the NFL's top rusher in 2004, Jordan's finally is getting his opportunity to be the feature back.

"It's funny. I called a friend of mine back home and I said, 'Wow, I'm a starting running back in the NFL,' '' Jordan said Sunday as the Raiders concluded their lone mandatory minicamp for rookies and veterans. "It's a weird feeling.''

Not for the Raiders, who finally got their guy. Jordan, a powerful 5-foot- 10, 230-pound halfback with the track-star burst, was in their sights as far back as a year ago, when the Raiders tried to swing a trade with the Jets prior to the 2004 draft.

When Jordan became an unrestricted free agent this offseason, Al Davis' checkbook quickly appeared. In one remarkable 10-day period, the Raiders re- signed wide receiver Jerry Porter, franchise-tagged cornerback Charles Woodson, traded for wide receiver Randy Moss and signed Jordan to a five-year, $24.5 million contract.

And the career backup who led the NFL with a 5.2-yards-per-carry average (93 attempts, 479 yards) last season sees nothing but opportunity with his new employer.

"I think this'll be the first time in my running back career that I might not face eight in the box all the time,'' Martin said of the Raiders' imposing receiver and tight-end lineup.

His ability to run between the tackles and sweep outside will makes him tough to defend. Martin also knows the presence of the Raiders' big three receivers -- Moss, Porter and Ronald Curry -- will make his job that much easier.

"Any running back would want to play with a guy like Randy Moss. Because you already know that you can cancel two people out of the equation,'' Martin said. "You can take a cornerback and a safety out, and you don't have to worry about them.''

And vice versa.

"Probably about 65 percent of our offense is play-action pass,'' Porter said. "Now we have an actual run threat, it's going to make mine and Randy's job a lot easier.''

That's the plan. The NFL's most potent offenses in 2004 -- Kansas City, Indianapolis, Green Bay -- all had 1,000-plus-yard rushers to complement the pass.

The Raiders' running game, meanwhile, ranked dead last in the NFL last season, and leading rusher Amos Zereoue, finished with only 425 yards. As a team, the Raiders managed only 1,295 yards rushing on 327 carries.

Playing in Paul Hackett's West Coast offense with the Jets, Jordan proved he is adept at pass catching, too, and the Raiders used him on several play- action and swing routes throughout the minicamp.

"The West Coast (offense) is definitely different from this offense, but I'm a running back. I've done it all, as far as play-action pass, pro (style), running the ball,'' Jordan said.

With Justin Fargas available for a change of pace and Zack Crockett's proven short-yardage ability on third downs, the Raiders' backfield appears as balanced as the receiver corps.

For now, though, everything is still very new and somewhat confusing for Jordan. He's trying to learn names -- "Let me see, I know Randy, I know (Warren) Sapp, I know Kerry (Collins) and Jerry. It's gonna be tough,'' Jordan said -- and familiarize himself with new playbook terminology.

Raiders coach Norv Turner, a longtime offensive coordinator who coached ballcarriers such as Emmitt Smith, Stephen Davis, LaDainian Tomlinson and Ricky Williams, always has stressed the importance of having a big running back.

"He's an impressive guy,'' Turner said after getting a good look at Jordan. "He's an awfully well-rounded back. He's a physical guy with great quickness. He's a good receiver. He's going to give us good versatility.''

And despite his newcomer status, Jordan is prepared to tackle another role, as a team leader.

"I've heard some people say, 'You're the savior, or whatever, of the running game.' So there is a big responsibility,'' Jordan said. "There is a huge responsibility on my shoulders, because people, with the money that the Raiders pay me, and with them trying to get me last year, and now I'm finally here, there are a lot of expectations out there, and people are looking for me to do big things. But nobody can put more pressure on me than I put on myself. ''

I know he's just saying that Randy Moss and co. take the heat off the running game, but damn, Wayne, McCareins and Santana Moss ain't exactly chopped liver.

Anyone want to guess Lamont's numbers?

1750 yards

4.5 YPC

12 TD's

And he makes the pro Bowl.

It is not hard to see there will be more potential opportunities in Oakland's offense than the conservative type that Hackett used.

Randy Moss vs. Santana Moss- no brainer.

Lamont Jordan good for 1300 yards or so - Crockett the short yardage guy so maybe 7 TD's

With that talent on the outside at WR and no 8 man fronts.

If Jordan plays 16 games. He's going to have atleast 1,400 to 1,700 yards. He has to.

I love Lamont as a player. Like his style. I think he's going to be a superstar in Oakland.

Martin played against 8 man fronts and had 1,700 yards at 31 years old. Plus he had 4.7 yards a carry. Not bad............................

Dear Lamont,

If you had actually scored some touchdowns after Martin got the Jets into the red zone, you might have gotten a chance to start.

Well, Hermie is in charge, so maybe not.

Love,

BTJF

Prediction:

Less than 1,000 yards.

3.5 ypc

6 TD

Pro Bowl? :lol::lol::lol:

Martin played against 8 man fronts and had 1,700 yards at 31 years old. Plus he had 4.7 yards a carry. Not bad............................

Ahem...Martin had 4.6!! Perhaps you were thinking

of Cory Dillon who had 4.7?? Dillon also has a

Career avg of 4.4 to Martin's 4.1..Always happy

to help my Buddy YJF get his stats correct!! :mrgreen:

I hope Jordan breaks his Femur in training camp.

You know Guns thoughts like that can cause bad

Karma that can come back on you!! Martins bones

are alot older and have much more milage! You

may be right about the wrong back! For me I never

wish bad luck on any player!! [-X

You know Guns thoughts like that can cause bad

Karma that can come back on you!! Martins bones

are alot older and have much more milage! You

may be right about the wrong back! For me I never

wish bad luck on any player!! [-X

We're Jets fans. Can Karma possibly kick us in the ass any more then it has for 36 years?

We're Jets fans. Can Karma possibly kick us in the a$$ any more then it has for 36 years?

Only 1 losing Season(2003) since 97!! I go back

to the beginning and we never had a stretch that

good!! :wink: We now have the O covered with Dinger,

the D covered with Henderson and the Post Game BBQ

covered with Hermie!! 2 out of 3 with a Clue and

a Bowl we could do!! :mrgreen:

Only 1 losing Season(2003) since 97!! I go back

to the beginning and we never had a stretch that

good!! :wink: We now have the O covered with Dinger,

the D covered with Henderson and the Post Game BBQ

covered with Hermie!! 2 out of 3 with a Clue and

a Bowl we could do!! :mrgreen:

Savage I hear ya bro. I remember the 80s and early 90s as well and yes, since 1997 we've lived the 'life of riley' compared to the 2 decades before it. But like you stated, with Hendu and Dinger there are NO MORE excuses. NO MORE reasons. It's Super Bowl or bust for this team in the next few seasons and nothing short of it will be declared successful. We've survived our 'close but no cigar' as fans, 1998 afc title game, 1999 vinny injury, 02 playoff run with oakland collapse and Brien's FG chances. It's time for this team to make it happen.

The funny part is there are fans, young ones in their teens around here and the country, who don't remember what being a Jets fan in the 80s and 90s was like. The Jets hit their recent stride when they were just getting into football and to them they don't know the meaning of true Jets misery. That's why I have to laugh when some if the teenage fans around here and other places blindly follow the Jets and blame us older guys when we get upset. To think some people here have only seen 1 losing season in 8 years is mind boggling.

The funny part is there are fans, young ones in their teens around here and the country, who don't remember what being a Jets fan in the 80s and 90s was like. The Jets hit their recent stride when they were just getting into football and to them they don't know the meaning of true Jets misery. That's why I have to laugh when some if the teenage fans around here and other places blindly follow the Jets and blame us older guys when we get upset. To think some people here have only seen 1 losing season in 8 years is mind boggling.

Guns this is how Bad it was since 1960 when I

was a Lad of 16!! From 1960 to 1996 we had 6

winning seasons! Yeah we had a couple of seasons

at 500% But 6!! Take away the 8-8 in 99 we had 6

winning's seasons since 97! Your right other then

a few my age no one has a clue of the long suffering

Jet Fan!! :wink: :roll:

PS..Ok in Baseball a Redsox fan was hard to beat!! :mrgreen:

Ahem...Martin had 4.6!! Perhaps you were thinking

of Cory Dillon who had 4.7?? Dillon also has a

Career avg of 4.4 to Martin's 4.1..Always happy

to help my Buddy YJF get his stats correct!! :mrgreen:

Doesn't matter... 4.6 or 4.7...My point was made. :wink:

F HIM!

I hope he breaks both his ankles in preseason

In another board he was quoted as saying how

"he's not one to complain about lack of carries as long as the team is winning and that the only time he complained was in new york and thats because we were losing"

Playoffs 3 outa 4 years is losing??!!

TAKE A HIKE JERKOFF. Enjoy your 7-9 seasons for the next 5 years ya fat bald bastard!

F HIM!

"he's not one to complain about lack of carries as long as the team is winning and that the only time he complained was in new york and thats because we were losing"

TAKE A HIKE JERKOFF. Enjoy your 7-9 seasons for the next 5 years ya fat bald bastard!

Please, don't hold back on our account. Tell us how you really feel. :lol:

F HIM!

Lamont is right, you know.

I don't think that's a shot at the entire Jets organization, I think it is more of a shot at Herm/Hackett for sticking with Martin in every single game against a good defense where he ran for 30 yards on 20 carries. Then they'd put Lamont in the game, he'd break a 7-yard run, and then his day would be over.

I agree with what he's says there. The fact that Edwards and Hackett were blindly supportive of Martin no matter what has probably cost us more games than clock management these past few years.

F HIM!

EB..Take a deep Breath and look at things from

Jordans perspective!! In 2003 after being a good

Soldier for the 3rd year he figured the seasons

lost I'll finally get to start a Game or 2..But

no..In the last 5 games in a losing season he got

1 carry to Martins 125 carries..Want to know why

he came to camp this past season pissed of?? If

that was you you would be ranting after the 46 yd

TD run he had as a rookie with 1 carry in the game

and never saw another... [-X

Lamont didn't start because he had a hall of famer in front of him on the depth chart.

Period, end of story...sentence is over.

I think Lamont went to the perfect situation and is going to do a great job in Oakland. I wish the best even he says stupid things.

I have nothing but admiration for Jordan's physical talents and I think that he deserved a starting job somewhere in The NFL. I'm happy for him. He's too talented to be a backup.

"YoungJetsFan"]Lamont didn't start because he had a hall of famer in front of him on the depth chart.

Agreed YJF.. A HOF'er who along with his OC wanted

to Pad Martins stats instead of showcasing Jordan

for a Trade to get back a pick instead of losing

him for nothing!! I think Team! You think apologies

for Players and Coaches!!

I cannot wait to see Barton lay the smackdown on this 2 bit bastard!!!

EB...You don't know RB's..Barton wouldn't be

tackling a go down easy Martin..He be hitting

a freight train with something to prove! :wink:

Hey did you know I have a Jet Jersey older then

your Daddy??? :mrgreen:

EB...You don't know RB's..Barton wouldn't be

tackling a go down easy Martin..He be hitting

a freight train with something to prove! :wink:

Hey did you know I have a Jet Jersey older then

your Daddy??? :mrgreen:

LOL, Barton would knock him out!!! TKO

and no way, my dad is like 56

I know it's not a fair question, but who would you rather have right now going into the season: Martin or Jordan?

Jordan got lied to every year he was here. That tired line of "we got to get Lamont more carries" and "we're going to run some two-back sets" got old quick for Lamont. And as for the "Lamont sat behind a Hall of Fame" argument, answer this: If Belichick was in the same spot, if Parcells was in the same spot, is Lamont getting at least HALF the carries even though Martin is there? I'd say so, because those two put winning first, a player's feelings second.. Herm stuck Martin out there with two busted ankles for four games and stapled Lamont to the bench. Curtis is going to the HOF, but he hasn't been a Hall of Fame back for three years.

Curtis is going to the HOF, but he hasn't been a Hall of Fame back for three years.

:shock::shock:

Oh, but Thomas....Curtis led the league in rushing last season!

As stupid as this may sound, Curtis leading the league in rushing last year held the offense back.

If Curtis and Lamont were sharing the carries, we'd have been playing in Foxboro for the right to go to Jacksonville.

:shock::shock:

Oh, but Thomas....Curtis led the league in rushing last season!

As stupid as this may sound, Curtis leading the league in rushing last year held the offense back.

If Curtis and Lamont were sharing the carries, we'd have been playing in Foxboro for the right to go to Jacksonville.

There are stat yds and important Game winning yds!

With the Game on the line..you don't want a stat

back carring the ball! Show me the Big Games that

Martin has won in the Super Bowl or playoffs?? Some

people can't see that! I'm glad you do! :wink:

Archived