Schlegel stays on the move....Jets Team Site

SoFlaJets

Published: 03-15-07

By Eric Allen

Anthony Schlegel, who once set two world dead-lift records in the 19 and under 220-240 pound weight division with lifts of 662 pounds and 672 pounds, says his infant son Hunter is well on his way to becoming a heavyweight.

Published: 03-15-07

By Eric Allen

Anthony Schlegel, who once set two world dead-lift records in the 19 and under 220-240 pound weight division with lifts of 662 pounds and 672 pounds, says his infant son Hunter is well on his way to becoming a heavyweight.

Do I rise to bait such as this?

Do I stop myself from attacking the idiocy which passes for humor and intellegent insight?

(obviously not)

One point and then one question.

The myth of Schlegels slowness has been greatly exagerated. If you watched him on ST in any of the four games he played you'll see that he was not any slower than any of the other big men in coverage. I guarantee you he's as fast as Barton, Kassell, Hobson, and Chatham. He does have an odd looking stride which makes him look slower than he is.

So, here's my question.

What would Schlegel have to do on the field this coming season to change your minds about his ability and his value?

Please refrain from smart assed comments like -- step on the field -- I'd like some serious answers.

Many of you seem to feel that since he didnt start he must have sucked, so what I want to know is what would it take to change your minds?

If he plays and has as good a season as Barton had this year will you admit that you were wrong?

(OK, that was really three questions)

Did they cut this guy yet? He was such a waste of a 3rd round pick. He moves like a tortoise with a bad case of hemorrhoids. Let him go hunt for his food instead of using his Jets paycheck to buy it.

Please tell me your being sarcastic.

Do I stop myself from attacking the idiocy which passes for humor and intellegent insight?

(obviously not)

The myth of Schlegels slowness has been greatly exagerated. If you watched him on ST in any of the four games he played you'll see that he was not any slower than any of the other big men in coverage. I guarantee you he's as fast as Barton, Kassell, Hobson, and Chatham. He does have an odd looking stride which makes him look slower than he is.

So, here's my question.

What would Schlegel have to do on the field this coming season to change your minds about his ability and his value?

Please refrain from smart assed comments like -- step on the field -- I'd like some serious answers.

Many of you seem to feel that since he didnt start he must have sucked, so what I want to know is what would it take to change your minds?

If he plays and has as good a season as Barton had this year will you admit that you were wrong?

First of all there is a big difference between the speed one has on Special Teams and their playing speed when in a formation. A lot of people can move fast in a straight line. Second of all he certainly did not look like no speed demon to me on ST.

He is a slow LB and no he is not near Hobson or Barton's playing speed or reaction time. That is just silly to say. He was slow at Ohio State. This is not something new. He is also slow to react and he can't turn for nothing. If you're running straight at him he's gonna give you a hell of a hit but if you make the slightest spin he's finished. He can tackle with the best of them if you fall in his lap. Did you watch the guy play at all or do you just like to call people idiots?

He will not ever be on Barton's level and Barton is not much more than an above average LB. If he has a season like Barton's I will remove my right testicle.

Please tell me your being sarcastic.

Why, do you see pro bowl in his future? Because I see Arena League or maybe NFL Europe. If not there is always that boar-hunting show on OLN (or Versus) with Ted Nugent.

(obviously not)

The myth of Schlegels slowness has been greatly exagerated. If you watched him on ST in any of the four games he played you'll see that he was not any slower than any of the other big men in coverage. I guarantee you he's as fast as Barton, Kassell, Hobson, and Chatham. He does have an odd looking stride which makes him look slower than he

So, here's my question.

C'mon man, don't go confusing a good hate fest with facts

What's wrong with you?

I also want to say that I loved their draft last year with the exception of the Schlegel pick. I'm not trying to kill them for one mistake. The only pick that didn't really contribute at all was Titus Adams and he was a 7th round pick. You had Pociask who got hurt too so there's not much to say on that.

I am not yet in his camp, but give the guy a shot first, then blast him if he can't play. He really had no shot at playing time last year, save for a few cameo ST appearances.

In my book, the jury is still out on him. He may have been drafted too early, but that does not mean he will not be a contributor down the road.

I really have to wonder sometimes. People here will watch someone play average football to downright horrible football every week and defend him, praise him, use ridiculopus numbers to support him, even claim he's a top 5 player. Then those same people will turn around and proclaim someone who really never stepped on the field much at all a bust. Makes alot of sense. :yawn:

This time last year people were issuing stone cold guarantees that Chad Pennington would never play another meaningful down in the NFL. Ever. These people were doing this with without any medical background to begin with and certainly without any direct knowledge of Pennington's specific injuries.

If Schlegel ends up being even one scintilla better than the worst linebacker ever to dress in the NFL, a lot of the folks around here are going to look awfully stupid.

The grade on Schlegel is clearly an "incomplete" as it stands right now. "Incomplete" because nobody has seen enough to be able to form a proper opinion unless that poster is a member of the Jets coaching staff. Nobody is in a position to infer anything or draw any conclusions from the small amount of time he saw in his rookie cvampaign.

Mangold (and the Jets) lucked into significant playing time because of injuries ahead of him. Brick was the number four overall pick and had a vacuum ahead of him on the depth chart. You would expect him to play. Clemens saw next to no playing time. We were not involved in enough blowouts.

First of all there is a big difference between the speed one has on Special Teams and their playing speed when in a formation. A lot of people can move fast in a straight line. Second of all he certainly did not look like no speed demon to me on ST.

He is a slow LB and no he is not near Hobson or Barton's playing speed or reaction time. That is just silly to say. He was slow at Ohio State. This is not something new. He is also slow to react and he can't turn for nothing. If you're running straight at him he's gonna give you a hell of a hit but if you make the slightest spin he's finished. He can tackle with the best of them if you fall in his lap. Did you watch the guy play at all or do you just like to call people idiots?

He will not ever be on Barton's level and Barton is not much more than an above average LB. If he has a season like Barton's I will remove my right testicle.

Ok. I'm putting you down for partial castration.

I have to say that I think your logic is seriously flawed in terms of ST speed.

First, I didnt say he was as fast as the safeties, WRs, RBs, and CBs on ST. I said he was as fast as the LBs. Of course those other position players look fast by comparison. But your wrong about him in comparison to the other LBs.

Second, straight ahead speed is what most people criticize him for not having. Pretty much everyone says that his game speed is faster than his race speed. This is because he reads and reacts more quickly than most. You can look that up on any draft or scouting report. His side line to side line speed is frequently question, but not his ability to make plays. The guy had something like 300 tackles in college. He was 1st team all Mountain West and recorded 114 Tackles in his sophomore year. He also had 19 tackles in two game that season once against Notre Dame and once against Va Tech. I dont think they ran the ball right at him everytime. He had 10 tackles in the Michigan game in 05 and was the defensive player of the game. Most of his tackles do of course come against the run game -- he's an MLB/ILB. The only player I ever saw get away from him was Vince Young in 05 -- and if missing him makes you a scrub there sure are alot of them out there.

Third, I watched every game Schlegel played at tOSU. I saw six -- including the 06 Fiesta Bowl, the 04 Alamo Bowl, and the 04 Michigan game -- in person and the rest I saw and recorded using college game plan. How about you?

Was anyone else like me in thinking instead of hunting and lifting, let's do some rope jumping or pilates or something to improve your quickness?

I guess you missed the part in the story where he said he also kept to his workout schedule and continued to work out at the same gym he'd been going to since the 7th Grade?

Ok. I'm putting you down for partial castration.

I have to say that I think your logic is seriously flawed in terms of ST speed.

First, I didnt say he was as fast as the safeties, WRs, RBs, and CBs on ST. I said he was as fast as the LBs. Of course those other position players look fast by comparison. But your wrong about him in comparison to the other LBs.

Second, straight ahead speed is what most people criticize him for not having. Pretty much everyone says that his game speed is faster than his race speed. This is because he reads and reacts more quickly than most. You can look that up on any draft or scouting report. His side line to side line speed is frequently question, but not his ability to make plays. The guy had something like 300 tackles in college. He was 1st team all Mountain West and recorded 114 Tackles in his sophomore year. He also had 19 tackles in two game that season once against Notre Dame and once against Va Tech. I dont think they ran the ball right at him everytime. He had 10 tackles in the Michigan game in 05 and was the defensive player of the game. Most of his tackles do of course come against the run game -- he's an MLB/ILB. The only player I ever saw get away from him was Vince Young in 05 -- and if missing him makes you a scrub there sure are alot of them out there.

Third, I watched every game Schlegel played at tOSU. I saw six -- including the 06 Fiesta Bowl, the 04 Alamo Bowl, and the 04 Michigan game -- and the rest I saw and recorded using college game plan. How about you?

Sounds like you know him as well as anyone on this site. Do you really think he can be a solid starter in the next couple of years? He certainly is as fast as Vrabel or Bruschi so i don't think that's the issue. All we hear is that he has stiff hips and I don't really know what that means. I think the jury is still out and I am hoping for better things from him this year. I would love to see someone back there that can really put a big hit on someone like he can.

Sounds like you know him as well as anyone on this site. Do you really think he can be a solid starter in the next couple of years? He certainly is as fast as Vrabel or Bruschi so i don't think that's the issue. All we hear is that he has stiff hips and I don't really know what that means. I think the jury is still out and I am hoping for better things from him this year. I would love to see someone back there that can really put a big hit on someone like he can.

(I think) that the stiff hips thing is an indication that he has difficulty turning and changing direction like in pass coverage. There is no doubt that the strength of his game is playing down hill near the line of scrimmage with the play in front of him. However, the 3-4 is a system that hides this weakness well. Ask yourself how many times did you see Barton do something -- good or bad -- in coverage this year?

People remember that Schlegel had two bad plays in the preseason in coverage -- once he fell and the reciever caught a TD pass (WASH) and then later in the same game he had a PI call on a play to an RB near the sideline. The TD pass was hardly an indictment of his speed -- he tripped. The PI penalty was a bad rookie penalty, but its not like the guy burned him. You can only get a PI call if you arrive before or at the same time as the ball. He actually had a his hands on an INT, but the ball was knocked away by another Jets going for the ball. A few passes were completed to backs underneath but he closed quickly and there were no YACs.

I wont tell you that he is going to be a great cover LB. But, he can be adequate given the limited coverage responsibility he will have.

As far as stopping the run inside, I think the guy can be truly great. Most of his stops in college were 3 or less from the LOS and nobody ran inside on tOSU in 05. He is physical in a way that I dont think any other Jets LB is, tough, and mean inside.

I guess you missed the part in the story where he said he also kept to his workout schedule and continued to work out at the same gym he'd been going to since the 7th Grade?

No I saw it, but it sounded like his workouts consisted of strength training when he rely needs agility training. He needs Mickey to take him to a vacant lot and chase a chicken around.

This time last year people were issuing stone cold guarantees that Chad Pennington would never play another meaningful down in the NFL. Ever. These people were doing this with without any medical background to begin with and certainly without any direct knowledge of Pennington's specific injuries.

If Schlegel ends up being even one scintilla better than the worst linebacker ever to dress in the NFL, a lot of the folks around here are going to look awfully stupid.

The grade on Schlegel is clearly an "incomplete" as it stands right now. "Incomplete" because nobody has seen enough to be able to form a proper opinion unless that poster is a member of the Jets coaching staff. Nobody is in a position to infer anything or draw any conclusions from the small amount of time he saw in his rookie cvampaign.

Mangold (and the Jets) lucked into significant playing time because of injuries ahead of him. Brick was the number four overall pick and had a vacuum ahead of him on the depth chart. You would expect him to play. Clemens saw next to no playing time. We were not involved in enough blowouts.

Schlegel making me look stupid would be good for the Jets so I am for it. I just don't see that happening.

By the way I saw the guy play for Ohio State for a few years so I do have the right to an opinion and he's not worthy of a 3rd round pick. If the Jets didn't pick him he would have probably been around in the 6th round.

I pray that he makes me look bad and helps my team! If he does I will be happy as will a lot of other fans. I'll be rooting for him IF he makes the team this year.

Schlegel making me look stupid would be good for the Jets so I am for it. I just don't see that happening.

By the way I saw the guy play for Ohio State for a few years so I do have the right to an opinion and he's not worthy of a 3rd round pick. If the Jets didn't pick him he would have probably been around in the 6th round.

I pray that he makes me look bad and helps my team! If he does I will be happy as will a lot of other fans. I'll be rooting for him IF he makes the team this year.

Jetfuel:

I never said or implied that you hadnt seen AS play and therefore werent entitiled to an opinion. You are the one who accused me of never having seen the guy play in college in order to discredit my stated opinions.

We are certainly on the same page in terms of hoping he helps the Jets next season and in the future. As most people here define a draft reach I suppose he was. To me what a player does during their career is a good deal more important than whether or not a team picked them a round or two too early.

Jetfuel:

I never said or implied that you hadnt seen AS play and therefore werent entitiled to an opinion. You are the one who accused me of never having seen the guy play in college in order to discredit my stated opinions.

We are certainly on the same page in terms of hoping he helps the Jets next season and in the future. As most people here define a draft reach I suppose he was. To me what a player does during their career is a good deal more important than whether or not a team picked them a round or two too early.

Can you remind me what Schlegel has done since drafted by the Jets besides maybe hunt a wild boar or two? Sorry, had to throw that in there. I guess we can figure out what he is worth when he actually does something. If he stays with the team through training camp and makes the team this year I'm pretty sure he'll get some more playing time. In fairness players can get better with time and knowledge of the pro game. I'm rooting for him and I'll be the first to go out and get a Schlegel jersey if he ever becomes a beast at LB.

I formally apologize to Mr. Schlegel. May he do very well for the green & white.

As far as when someone is picked in the draft I will say that it becomes quite often irrelevant after a couple of years of a player's career. But if the Jets pick Chris Leak in the 1st round I will lose my sh&% Then again, if they draft him at all I'll be pretty pissed. The reason I said Schlegel was a bad pick in round 3 is because he doesn't seem top have the physical tools and natural instincts to be worthy of a pick that high ... not because Mel Kiper and his helmet-head say its a stretch. Once again, I do hope I'm wrong. I may complain about certain things and question certain players' abilities, but when gameday approaches I am on the side of all on Gang Green. LET'S GO SCHLEGEL <clap clap ... clap clap clap>!

One other thing is that no matter what Schlegel does in the future would not change the fact that they had a great draft last year. Not many teams can draft 10 players and have at least 6 of them (D'Brick, Mangold, E. Smith, Leon, B. Smith, D. Coleman) start or make a decent impact in their first year and in Clemens case hopefully a QB of the future.

Why, do you see pro bowl in his future? Because I see Arena League or maybe NFL Europe. If not there is always that boar-hunting show on OLN (or Versus) with Ted Nugent.

I love how your ripping into a 3rd round pick for not playing much in his first year in the league. There are no sure things in the draft we all know this, and we also know that the speed in the NFL is something a lot of players don't adjust to right away.

I'm not going to agree or disagree with anything you said all I'm gonna say is you can't pass judgement on a guy who if you knew anything about knew he was drafted as a project. This is no Brian Urlacher and yes he is on the slow side, but has there not been succesful linebackers with less speed than Vilma?

I love how your ripping into a 3rd round pick for not playing much in his first year in the league. There are no sure things in the draft we all know this, and we also know that the speed in the NFL is something a lot of players don't adjust to right away.

I'm not going to agree or disagree with anything you said all I'm gonna say is you can't pass judgement on a guy who if you knew anything about knew he was drafted as a project. This is no Brian Urlacher and yes he is on the slow side, but has there not been succesful linebackers with less speed than Vilma?

Call a spade a spade. He sucks. If he had ANY talent whatsoever, he would have at least been a special teams player.

Terrible move my Tangini drafting a 3rd rounder that doesnt sniff any playing time. We needed talent there, we didnt get any. Awful move. AWFUL.

Call a spade a spade. He sucks. If he had ANY talent whatsoever, he would have at least been a special teams player.

Terrible move my Tangini drafting a 3rd rounder that doesnt sniff any playing time. We needed talent there, we didnt get any. Awful move. AWFUL.

Add another name to the list of people on this sight that a) expects too much from a third round pick B) doesnt understand how the game day roster works on a team that runs the 3-4 in terms of LBs and c) didnt bother to read the thread before adding his two uninformed cents.

Nice work ace:confused:

Add another name to the list of people on this sight that a) expects too much from a third round pick B) doesnt understand how the game day roster works on a team that runs the 3-4 in terms of LBs and c) didnt bother to read the thread before adding his two uninformed cents.

Nice work ace:confused:

A) The 2006 draft was the most stocked and talented draft in years. By reaching for a scrub like Schlegel in the 3rd round we passed up about 30-40 better players at positions (OL, RB, DT, CB) that we needed more urgent help at.

B) Here is how the roster works: slow, unathletic LB's who can't cover anyone and lack closing speed like Anthony Schlegel don't last on NFL rosters for very long. 3-4 or 4-3 defense.

C) Schlegel blows.

A) The 2006 draft was the most stocked and talented draft in years. By reaching for a scrub like Schlegel in the 3rd round we passed up about 30-40 better players at positions (OL, RB, DT, CB) that we needed more urgent help at.

B) Here is how the roster works: slow, unathletic LB's who can't cover anyone and lack closing speed like Anthony Schlegel don't last on NFL rosters for very long. 3-4 or 4-3 defense.

C) Schlegel blows.

A) The Jets drafted two O linemen in the first round. Trey Teagues injury came after the draft. So, after picking to O linemen that high the FO probably figured they were ok on the Oline. (BTW Max Jean Giles played exactly 0 games for the Eagles that kid the saints picked in the third did have a great season).

At RB the Jets picked Leon Washington in the 4th. I would argue that he had as good a rookie campaign as any RB chosen after him -- though Jerious Norwood did have a great start to his rookie season before his injury.

At DT I suppose you are refering to Gabe Watson who went on to play in about 12 games for the Cardinals and record 16 tackles and one sack for one of the worst Defenses in the pros. He did play and produce more than Schlegel though. But would he have played for the Jets. Hmmm. Well the Cardinals dont run the 3-4 so they had one more Dline spot to fill than the Jets. Going into the draft the Jets had DRob, Ellis, Kimo, some back ups an 2nd year 2nd round pick Pouha. I dont think they anticipated the Pouha injury or Kimo sucking.

At CB I dont really know who you had in mind. The 5 CBs taken first following the Schlegel pick played a total of 6 games. The next one taken after that played 8 games. There was one guy in the 6th and one guy in the 7th I believe who played every game and even had decent seasons, but I doubt they would have played ahead of Dyson or Barret/ Miller/ Poteat for the Jets and I doubt they were on yours or anyone elses draft radar.

If you meant safety then Ko Simpson did have a great year. But the Jets needs at safety werent for someone in 06. They had Coleman and Rhodes. They drafted a safety right after Schlegel. While he may not have been as productibe as Simpson he certainly contributed some valuable minutes and plays (two picks at least one big deflection).

B) Your are right. LBs who fit the description you provided dont stay on NFL rosters long. So by your definition I guess he doesnt fit that description or he wouldnt still be on an NFL roster. When he isnt, then your point will be valid. But as long as he is then your description proves my point not yours.

C) Schlegel blows away ducks, deer, boar, and next season lead blockers and running backs.

It's too bad for Schlegel that unlike ducks and deer, NFL lead blockers and RB's like to fight back.

Since you conceded that my refutations of your first two points were correct. I'll happily concede that NFL running backs do fight back.

Cheers.

Archived