OT: Why am I still unemployed???!!!!!

vinnys025

Vinny hang in there- I know that is easy for me to say- you have to keep pushing hard though-the worst thing to do is to get frustrated and not give all out effort. We are your friends here so you can take comfort in that hopefully.

I searched Monster.com, Hotjobs.com, Career builder.com, applied for all of the jobs I could there, then even posted my resume for all others to see, and still nothing...

vinny, the Mega-Board jobs sites are probably not the best way to go. They all use scanning features and there is a very good chance your resume is not even making it to the employer.

Try aligning yourself with an Executive/Professional Search Firm who specializes in the area of security. These folks will work to get you placed and usually the prospective employer will pick up the fees.

Good luck.

My advice is that blanket mailing of resumes will not work. I've never used the websites but I'm guessing that's a longshot as well, probably thousands of people using them.

What kind of work are you looking for? Is your resume targeting those jobs?

As far as who you know, that is right to an extent, it will get you an interview, the job part is up to you. Make phone calls, follow up interviews and conversations with thank you letters, your consideration will stick in their head, and if you fail to get the first job, you may get a shot at the next one (this actually worked for me many years ago at a very prestigious firm).

Bottom line try not to get discouraged, and be aggressive.

where you the one who lost that nuke in the pacific...

just kidding..being unemployed sucks..you can send out 200 resumes in a day and have not one call back!

you just gotta keep at it..

no more nukes..

Vinny, the MINUTE I need somebody to guard planes or nukes, you're getting a call.

Hang in there, man.

Seriously, though, GOB would be a good source of info on the military-to-cop transition. He's been there and done that.

vinny I know you probably don't want to hear this but, sometimes you have to physically go where the jobs are... When i was in Maine shortly after college looking for work I couldn't find a damn thing that interested me/looked decent. When I moved to a big city there were so many opportunities, turning down work become common. I don't know exactly where you live but i have a mental image of tumblin tumbleweeds. :mrgreen:

Vinny...

Here are a few tips from me. I am an EXPERT in everything so read carefully.

1. If you see a job listing that you like email your resume obviously. But also FAX it and Mail it. NOBODY does this anymore.

2. When you get an interview...research the company. I can't tell you how many people I interviewed that didn't know what we did. If their email is humanresources@bitonti.org. Go to www.bitonti.org and learn something about them.

3. Follow up the interview with a thank you letter, IN WRITING. Believe me...nobody is doing this.

Oh and don't mention those nude pics you posted of yourself. That never goes over big!

Good luck.

Where are looking?

what city?

with your credentials you have the easy path to law enforcement.

NYC is looking for you. They hire thousands of cops @ a time.

Any big city does.

The airlines are looking for your type as well.

But as a few guys said frig the pc.

get off your butt make a personal appearance and besides your resume, show em how polished and polite you are.

(as are most military types are that I know)

Good Luck!

Where you live and the type of job can have a lot to do with your problem.

If you are looking for something in a related field, try looking for a federal job. There are tons of positions for federal officers, border patrol, US Marshall, Immigration, Customs, etc.

Since you have military experience, you would have a great shot of lining up a job since you have veteran's preference.

Go to USAJobs.gov or do a google search. The only problem is it takes time for these jobs to post and be filled. Be patient though. I waited a few months before landing a job with the US Attorney's office.

PatsFanTampax was also right. A headhunter or agency can help you land a job pretty quickly.....

Godd luck and keep your head up.

Well, I live in New Mexico in the middle of nowhere as of right now. I am willing to work in Texas, Arizona, Colorado, Nevada, Florida, or.....might I regret moving even back to Long Island if the money is right.

Experience is there, education is there, discipline is there.....I just can

Well, I live in New Mexico in the middle of nowhere as of right now. I am willing to work in Texas, Arizona, Colorado, Nevada, Florida, or.....might I regret moving even back to Long Island if the money is right.

Experience is there, education is there, discipline is there.....I just can

Well, I only have Secret clearance. YOu only get TS if you actually physically manipulate the Nucs. I'm sure I can get TS though, I have a clean record through and through....maybe a little bit of less than perfect credit though.

ANyway, I will check those places out, thanks alot guys for all your help.

Max, I will do all that when I get a call back.

Well, I only have Secret clearance. YOu only get TS if you actually physically manipulate the Nucs. I'm sure I can get TS though, I have a clean record through and through....maybe a little bit of less than perfect credit though.

ANyway, I will check those places out, thanks alot guys for all your help.

Max, I will do all that when I get a call back.

Last year I received about 700 resumes for 2 job openings. Not one was mailed to me. That would have STOOD out.

Archived