darryl stingley dies

gg

i remember the hit ... horrible... reminds us how violent this sport can be... sad... rest in peace

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory?id=3010640

Ex-Patriot Receiver Darryl Stingley Dies

Former New England Patriot Receiver Darryl Stingley Dies at 55; Autopsy Is Planned

CHICAGO Apr 5, 2007 (AP)— Former New England Patriot receiver Darryl Stingley, who was paralyzed after a hard hit during an NFL exhibition game nearly 30 years ago, has died. He was 55.

Stingley was pronounced dead at Northwestern Memorial Hospital early Thursday after he was found unresponsive in his home, according to Tony Brucci an investigator with the Cook County medical examiner's office.

An autopsy was scheduled. The cause of death was not immediately available.

Stingley played football until August 12, 1978, when the 26-year-old receiver went up for a pass during an exhibition game and was hit from behind by Oakland Raiders' safety Jack Tatum. The hit broke Stingley's neck and left him a quadriplegic for life.

Stingley was born and raised in Chicago. He was a star running back at John Marshall High School. He attended Purdue on a football scholarship.

In 1973, he was a first-round draft pick of the Patriots, owned by Robert Kraft.

"On behalf of the Kraft family and the entire Patriots organization, we're deeply saddened by news of Darryl Stingley's death, and our thoughts and prayers are with the Stingley family at this time," said team spokesman Stacey James.

May he rest in peace. Such talent and potential lost. His spirit was never lost, however. A man of intergrity and honor to the end. He was an inspiration to many and his charitable endeavors helped many. God Bless.

On the brighter side: JACK TATUM IS STILL THE BIGGEST PIECE OF HUMAN FECAL MATTER ON THIS EARTH. And it looks like he is finally getting his just deserts (I'm well aware of how horrid that makes me sound):

Legendary Oakland Raiders safety, Jack Tatum, is currently recovering from a surgical procedure done earlier this month in which all five toes on his left foot were amputated due to his ongoing battle with diabetes.

I hate that man for what he did to Stingley. He never paid him a visit. He never apologized. He tried to scam Darryl once and tried to profit off the tragedy a few times.

May he rest in peace. Such talent and potential lost. His spirit was never lost, however. A man of intergrity and honor to the end. He was an inspiration to many and his charitable endeavors helped many. God Bless.

On the brighter side: JACK TATUM IS STILL THE BIGGEST PIECE OF HUMAN FECAL MATTER ON THIS EARTH. And it looks like he is finally getting his just deserts (I'm well aware of how horrid that makes me sound):

Legendary Oakland Raiders safety, Jack Tatum, is currently recovering from a surgical procedure done earlier this month in which all five toes on his left foot were amputated due to his ongoing battle with diabetes.

I hate that man for what he did to Stingley. He never paid him a visit. He never apologized. He tried to scam Darryl once and tried to profit off the tragedy a few times.

So sad. It's sad that my first thought on hearing of his death was 'That POS Tatum never apologized.'

RIP Darryl.

What happened to him was truly a tragedy. RIP.

_********************(((((((((((((((((----------

Former NFL player Stingley dies at 55

By SOPHIA TAREEN, Associated Press Writer

April 5, 2007

AP - Apr 5, 1:18 pm EDT

More Photos

CHICAGO (AP) -- Darryl Stingley, paralyzed after a vicious hit during an NFL exhibition game nearly 30 years ago, died Thursday. He was 55.

Stingley was pronounced dead at Northwestern Memorial Hospital after he was found unresponsive in his Chicago home, according to Tony Brucci, an investigator with the Cook County medical examiner's office.

The cause of death was not immediately available. An autopsy was scheduled.

Stingley, a star receiver with the New England Patriots, was left a quadriplegic after he collided with Oakland's Jack Tatum while trying to catch a pass in an exhibition game on Aug. 12, 1978.

It broke Stingley's neck, and he spent the rest of his life in a wheelchair. Stingley regained limited movement in his right arm and operated his electric wheelchair on his own.

ADVERTISEMENT

There has long been debate in Boston and Oakland over the circumstances of the hit.

Both Gene Upshaw, who played in the game for the Raiders, and Steve Grogan, who threw the pass for New England, said it was a collision, not a hit from behind. There was no penalty on the play and Grogan's objection was that the hit came in a game that didn't count.

"That hit probably was not necessary in a game with no meaning," Grogan added.

Stingley's son Derek, on his way to Chicago, said he didn't want to talk about his father until he had time to be with the rest of his family.

Tatum's hit on Stingley ignited debates about the violence of the game and made Tatum, who had a reputation as one of the game's fiercest defenders, a subject of controversy.

The two players never reconciled. In 1996, they were supposed to meet for a TV appearance, but Stingley called it off after being told it was to publicize Tatum's book: "Final Confessions of NFL Assassin Jack Tatum."

Darryl Stingley was born and raised in Chicago. A star running back at John Marshall High School, he attended Purdue on a football scholarship. In 1973, he was a first-round draft pick of the Patriots, owned by Robert Kraft.

"On behalf of the Kraft family and the entire Patriots organization, we're deeply saddened by news of Darryl Stingley's death, and our thoughts and prayers are with the Stingley family at this time," team spokesman Stacey James said.

Stingley served as executive director of player personnel for the Patriots and often visited paralyzed patients. He wrote a book about his experiences entitled "Happy to Be Alive," published in 1983, and 10 years later started a nonprofit foundation in Chicago designed to help inner-city youth.

In a 1988 Associated Press interview, he talked about the day that changed his life.

"I have relived that moment over and over again," Stingley said. "I was 26 years old at the time and I remember thinking, 'What's going to happen to me? If I live, what am I going to be like?' And then there were all those whys, whys, whys?

"It was only after I stopped asking why, that I was able to regroup and go on my with my life," he said.

Stingley is survived by his wife Martine and three sons, Hank, John and Derek.

A huge loss for the Patriot Family as well as the NFL. I saw Darryl a couple of times at the old Foxboro Stadium when the Pats honoured past players.

He always received the biggest cheer.

RIP Darryl & my condolences to the Stingley family.

I moved from Australia to Boston in 1986. The Pats were "pretty good" back then. (Good enough to get crushed in the Super Bowl!)

Either way I heard about what happened and then I saw what happened.

Tatum is an arsehole and I don't care that he lost a leg or two. That guy is a ****ing ****.

**** you Tatum. **** you.

I moved from Australia to Boston in 1986. The Pats were "pretty good" back then. (Good enough to get crushed in the Super Bowl!)

Either way I heard about what happened and then I saw what happened.

Tatum is an arsehole and I don't care that he lost a leg or two. That guy is a ****ing ****.

**** you Tatum. **** you.

I understand, really I do.

But do you root for Rodney Harrison?

It was a frickin' exhibition game, Barton. And the point would have been moot if Tatum had visited Stingley and shown any kind of compassion. Any. Don't compare Harrison to one of the worst human beings on Earth, K?

Nice article by Bob Ryan (Boston Globe) - a great writer:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2007/04/06/hit_never_led_stingley_to_hate/

It was a frickin' exhibition game, Barton. And the point would have been moot if Tatum had visited Stingley and shown any kind of compassion. Any. Don't compare Harrison to one of the worst human beings on Earth, K?

Nice article by Bob Ryan (Boston Globe) - a great writer:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2007/04/06/hit_never_led_stingley_to_hate/

Some of the sh#t Rodney has done on the field just as easily could have had the same effects on opposing players that Stingley felt, unfortunately.

Obviously, Tatum is a POS for not visiting Stingley or showing compassion. I think Rodney would if he did something like that, unlike Tatum, but both are dirty players who try to injure others on the field. The difference is once they are off the field, I think Harrison is probably an OK guy where Tatum probably is not.

Archived