Top 5 ferocious hitters; by Eric Allen; ESPN.com

The List: Top 5 ferocious hitters

By Eric Allen

ESPN.com

Archive

Big-time hitters make their presence felt almost every time they take the field. They play with a controlled aggression and have little regard for their own welfare. Here are my top five ferocious hitters in the league.

Sean Taylor, FS, Washington Redskins: He's reckless and plays with no regard for his body. A great hitter has to have no fear of hurting himself and that's the way Taylor plays. He's a physically dominant football player and brings that Ronnie Lott type of aura.

Troy Polamalu, SS, Pittsburgh Steelers: He's an impact player and brings the heat while playing at all three levels of the field. He's like a tiger on the field, but will miss tackles because he goes all out with his body.

Brian Dawkins, FS, Philadelphia Eagles: He's another hitter who wreaks havoc on all three levels and absolutely destroys people.

Rodney Harrison, FS, New England Patriots: He's known around the league for being a devastating tackler. After he delivers a big hit there are normally some flags and fines.

Julius Peppers, DE, Carolina Panthers: He's a physical freak, and when he comes off the corner he hurts people. You can't say he's just a defensive end because unlike a lot of ends he delivers a blow that is remembered.

Sean Taylor is gonna get himself hurt one day soon. He is the most reckless football player I have seen since the rules were adjusted over the last several years.

He is a danger to himself and others :)

I'd take a guy like that in a heart beat (minus the legal problems). I think everyone saw the difference Bob Sanders made on the Colts, he practically carried that defense 4 games straight.

Anyone notice how four of the five are safeties. Hopefully Rhodes can get to a level of violence where recievers and runners are staying away from his part of the field.

Dawkins might very well be my favorite non-Jets player. The guy always comes to play with bad intentions and serious mayhem on his mind.

I would put Roy Williams on that list. He has made a career out of the only thing he does well (hitting).

Dont you find it funny how those NFL commercials he has where they have him pushing the kids on the swings and they say "Roy Williams covers as much ground as anybody in the NFL blahblahblah but he needs your help"

And then they have "Jonathan Vilma is famous for plugging holes blahblahblah".

Whats next? "Chad Pennington throws the ball harder than most QBs in the NFL but he cant do it all by himself yadayadayada" ??

Dont you find it funny how those NFL commercials he has where they have him pushing the kids on the swings and they say "Roy Williams covers as much ground as anybody in the NFL blahblahblah but he needs your help"

And then they have "Jonathan Vilma is famous for plugging holes blahblahblah".

Whats next? "Chad Pennington throws the ball harder than most QBs in the NFL but he cant do it all by himself yadayadayada" ??

LOL POTW nom.

Anyone notice how four of the five are safeties. Hopefully Rhodes can get to a level of violence where recievers and runners are staying away from his part of the field.

Dawkins might very well be my favorite non-Jets player. The guy always comes to play with bad intentions and serious mayhem on his mind.

brian dawkins laying out reggie bush. probably 1 of the greatest hits

I understand fans - including me - gets a kick out of a great hit. But sometimes it's better to wrap-up text-book style, than go for the big hit and miss the man. Besides, why put your body through that if you could just a s easily take him down with a regular tackle. You never see Vilma lay out a guy, but he's always up there with alot of tackles.

Archived