Jets | Olsen visits team

Smizzy

I just don't want any part of Olsen.

I don't even care if he'd be the supposed BAP when we go on the clock, he's an overrated prospect. The only reason he'll sniff the 1st round is because of his forty time at the combine.

He underachieved at Miami as a receiver and he's a horrendous blocker. Why take him over guys like Blalock, Houston, Revis, Harrell, or Bowe?

If we want a TE, I say wait until #63 at the earliest and take a kid like Ben Patrick or Zach Miller.

I don't even care if he'd be the supposed BAP when we go on the clock, he's an overrated prospect. The only reason he'll sniff the 1st round is because of his forty time at the combine.

He underachieved at Miami as a receiver and he's a horrendous blocker. Why take him over guys like Blalock, Houston, Revis, Harrell, or Bowe?

If we want a TE, I say wait until #63 at the earliest and take a kid like Ben Patrick or Zach Miller.

Thats BS.

He would be a top 15 lock if he had a typical miami team around him, no question.

Blocking can be taught and improved. You dont draft TEs in the 1st rd so they can block.

Olsen's receiving skills are elite.

Well, I wont commit hari-kari if they draft him, but I'd rather draft an OL or CB.

When I was in Atl for the Peach Bowl fiasco last year, I was staying at the same hotel as the team. One day i get in the elevator with him and his gf (the main point here being that his gf was a 9.5-- dropdead gorgeous) and I didnt recognize him. I asked him if he was someone else (I forgot who) and he said no. So I asked who he was, and he said his name. The gf was pretty amused. He was not. LOL

Well, I wont commit hari-kari if they draft him, but I'd rather draft an OL or CB.

When I was in Atl for the Peach Bowl fiasco last year, I was staying at the same hotel as the team. One day i get in the elevator with him and his gf (the main point here being that his gf was a 9.5-- dropdead gorgeous) and I didnt recognize him. I asked him if he was someone else (I forgot who) and he said no. So I asked who he was, and he said his name. The gf was pretty amused. He was not. LOL

:rl:

amen brother.

there are better upgrades at positions other than TE. olsen isn't that much better than baker and doesn't make that much better. i would rather see upgrades elsewhere.

Thats BS.

He would be a top 15 lock if he had a typical miami team around him, no question.

Blocking can be taught and improved. You dont draft TEs in the 1st rd so they can block.

all those skills are nice, but he's a quitter. Watching those games, he never once stood out, yeah he's fast, good for him, tons of guys are fast. Yet some how guys like Jermaine Wiggins are still effective.

we have a TE that is more than servicable. With all the wholes on this team, why fix one that isn't nearly as necessary.

Baker > Olsen

Its not even an upgrade... a 1st round pick should be an instant upgrade...

You think?

I may have not seen a lot of Olsen, but I have seen plenty of Baker, and Baker isn't getting the job done. Was Baker first-round material when he came out?

I couldn't agree more.

I wouldn't make much of it.

I wouldn't draft him with the 25th pick though. There are more pressing needs on the OL, DT and CB that need to be addressed.

TE's who can catch the ball are a luxury in the NFL. You either luck into them, or you are already a championship caliber team that can grab a guy like that.

that had to suck JC-being a big Canes fan and all...hey these guys should be required to wear numbers on their clothes at all times-and the gf should have had a 9.5 rating too taped to her....something....somewhere

It was mildly embarrassing, SFJ, but I laughed at myself about it, and didnt take it too seriously.

It was surprising to me how difficult it was to recognize who the players were when they were walking around the hotel out of uniform. At least I had no difficulty recognizing the coaches. ;-)

Could the jets be planning on using twin TE sets? Maybe Baker and Olsen could benefit off each other?:confused:

During the Pennington era no TE has had more than Becht's 40 for 356 in '03 and no telling how many of those came from Testaverde. For whatever reason, Chad just doesn't seem to use the TE. Besides a 2 TE set would usually mean an extra blocker on the field, but those two actually would detract blocking ability from the standard set.

FWIW, Jolley's 324 yards in '05 was 2nd to Becht for a Jet TE over that period. Of course Penny didn't throw many of them.

Olsen might be a good pick, but like Ginn, I don't think he's a great fit for the current team. I don't think we have to select our offense based upon the strengths and weaknesses of our current team (particularly Penny) but I think there are guys that would be better value for the Jets at that spot and could provide much needed help ASAP.

Thats BS.

What?

I don't seem to remember Vernon Davis having a star infested team around him and his college production at Maryland blew Olsen out of the water.

Olsens best stats for a single season were in 2005 when he registered 31 catches, 451 yards, and 4 TD's.

That's not much better than Baker's production last season.

Up until the combine, most scouts and draftniks had Zach Miller ranked ahead of Olsen as the top TE in the draft.

Olsen was a big underachiever at Miami and is only considered a Top 20-25 pick because of his forty time. That's a fact.

The reason why I am so open to taking Olsen, is for him to be a big time target for our next QB - not Pennington.

Chad Pennington doesnt utilize the TE, his arm isnt strong enough to fit the ball in there and when TEs get open downfield, its a small window that closes quickly, for the most part. And Pennington doesnt have the arm to utilize a talented tight end to his fullest potential.

Baker cant sniff Olsen's jock, btw.

What?

I don't seem to remember Vernon Davis having a star infested team around him and his college production at Maryland blew Olsen out of the water.

Olsens best stats for a single season were in 2005 when he registered 31 catches, 451 yards, and 4 TD's.

That's not much better than Baker's production last season.

Up until the combine, most scouts and draftniks had Zach Miller ranked ahead of Olsen as the top TE in the draft.

Olsen was a big underachiever at Miami and is only considered a Top 20-25 pick because of his forty time. That's a fact.

Got a link or something to this fact? :character42:

Its complete BS. You need to do some research on Olsen. He's as talented as guys like Winslow and Shockey, many had him pegged to be the best Miami TE in years, even better than Winslow/Shockey/Franks etc etc until the program (Miami) went into the toilet.

Nobody had Zach Miller ahead of Olsen, I think you're just making sh#t up now because thats just horse crap. "Scouts and draftniks"?? Where?? Any links to that?

Olsen is an elite talent level Tight End. He didnt produce in a floudering cesspool known as Miami U the past 2 years, but he did lead the team in receptions. The team was a disgrace, I doubt you followed the U program as much as I have. They'd had problems on offense so badly it was a joke and Coker was in over his head.

Got a link or something to this fact? :character42:

Its complete BS. You need to do some research on Olsen. He's as talented as guys like Winslow and Shockey, many had him pegged to be the best Miami TE in years, even better than Winslow/Shockey/Franks etc etc until the program (Miami) went into the toilet.

Nobody had Zach Miller ahead of Olsen, I think you're just making sh#t up now because thats just horse crap. "Scouts and draftniks"?? Where?? Any links to that?

Olsen is an elite talent level Tight End. He didnt produce in a floudering cesspool known as Miami U the past 2 years, but he did lead the team in receptions. The team was a disgrace, I doubt you followed the U program as much as I have. They'd had problems on offense so badly it was a joke and Coker was in over his head.

When the hell did you hear ANYONE mention Olsen as a Top 20-25 pick before running a 4.51 forty? Please, tell me.

Zach Miller was widely considered the better player before the combine because he is more well rounded and had better college production. I still consider him the better prospect.

Olsen is a great athlete and that's about it. His blocking is borderline putrid and he seems to have an awfully big ego for a kid that had so much expected of him and did so little.

And if the Miami offense was so terrible, why the hell wasn't he looked at more often since he's such an "elite" TE? As the #1 go-to guy and Miami's most explosive offensive weapon, why the hell didn't he register more than 30 catches last season?

Im not buying it.

The guy has speed, I'll give him that. But he will NEVER be on the same level as Gates or Gonzalez.

When the hell did you hear ANYONE mention Olsen as a Top 20-25 pick before running a 4.51 forty? Please, tell me.

Zach Miller was widely considered the better player before the combine because he is more well rounded and had better college production. I still consider him the better prospect.

Olsen is a great athlete and that's about it. His blocking is borderline putrid and he seems to have an awfully big ego for a kid that had so much expected of him and did so little.

And if the Miami offense was so terrible, why the hell wasn't he looked at more often since he's such an "elite" TE? As the #1 go-to guy and Miami's most explosive offensive weapon, why the hell didn't he register more than 30 catches last season?

Im not buying it.

The guy has speed, I'll give him that. But he will NEVER be on the same level as Gates or Gonzalez.

Olsen was a borderline 1st rd pick before the combines, his talent alone got him there. Him running well and catching well in the gauntlet just cemented the fact.

If he had the team Winslow or Shockey had, Olsen would be looked at in the same light. A top 15 pick elite tight end.

He lead the team in receptions. He was their #1 guy.

Miller is your run of the mill tight end prospect. Nothing special to his game at all.

Thats BS.

Tell that to Doug Jolley.

Tell that to Doug Jolley.

Tell that to Tony Gonzalez, Antonio Gates, Kellen Winslow jr, Jeremy Shockey etc etc etc. All of them were labeled poor blockers out of college but each improved at it with NFL coaching and arent liabilitys anymore.

Even Chris Baker was regarded as a piss poor blocker coming out of college, and he's really improved himself in this area.

Its all about effort and how hard one works. If Mangini checks into Olsen, and he passes the Mangini character test, then I would feel very comfortable about him improving as a blocker. Blocking can improve through hard work.

Archived