Derek Jeter

LionelRichie

$21M

20 Hits, 17 1B's, 3 2B's, 0 HR, 6 Errors

where has the power gone?

He had an MVP type year last year and you're gonna bash him based on 2 weeks? Jesus Christ. Tough crowd.

Well, they can't bash Arod anymore. There will always be someone to attack.

Could you imagine if every Yankee was healthy and playing to their utmost potential? People would say, "You see that ballboy? he was a little slow going after that foul ball."

He had an MVP type year last year and you're gonna bash him based on 2 weeks? Jesus Christ. Tough crowd.

for $21,000,000 is it too much to ask for jeter to mix in a 2b or HR?

come'on madmike, you are the statkeeper - is it ever a good thing when batting avg = slg %?

Well, they can't bash Arod anymore. There will always be someone to attack.

Could you imagine if every Yankee was healthy and playing to their utmost potential? People would say, "You see that ballboy? he was a little slow going after that foul ball."

Nah they ball boys are exempt because they are minors. They would turn to the fans instead. Look at those guys eating cheese steaks. It is 10am for crying out loud.

Oh man. Some people.

$21M

where has the power gone?

I am a mets fan but lets be real, DJ is worth that money simply because of the leadership in the clubhouse...he is the yanks. Also look at his offensive contribution..he has scored a lot of runs...and he has a high batting average...

he is not a power guy..

Also...its two weeks into the season..lets not start throwing daggers. That is like crowning A-rod the single season HR king...its only two weeks...lets see where they are in October...then we can look back and admire what they did or didnt do.

LL

I am a mets fan but lets be real, DJ is worth that money simply because of the leadership in the clubhouse...he is the yanks. Also look at his offensive contribution..he has scored a lot of runs...and he has a high batting average...

he is not a power guy..

Also...its two weeks into the season..lets not start throwing daggers. That is like crowning A-rod the single season HR king...its only two weeks...lets see where they are in October...then we can look back and admire what they did or didnt do.

LL

A voice of reason. Well said. Jeter's value to the Yankees is not all based on stats.

Another example. John Sterling is really not a good announcer. He is to much into theatrics and stuff. But the Yankees are all about Showbiz, and Sterling fits right in.

he is not a power guy..

LL

As a Met fan you get a pass then because any real Yankee fan knows that in the CLUBHOUSE is where he is the weakest and needs to step up...he is an incredible FIELD Leader though.

As a Met fan you get a pass then because any real Yankee fan knows that in the CLUBHOUSE is where he is the weakest and needs to step up...he is an incredible FIELD Leader though.

Field leadership? Field leadership?

What kind of 1940 baseball thinking idea is that? Preposterous.

There is no stat that can measure field leadership, so it can not exist. Where do you people come up with these intangible type arguments and debates?

If it can't be quantified with a number, it can't be important.

There is no stat that can measure field leadership, so it can not exist. Where do you people come up with these intangible type arguments and debates?

You could of had a V-8 before you posted this

$21M

You forgot "% chance against Papelbon's heat": 0.

Captain Overrated looked as overmatched as he can possibly be. To be fair, who wouldn't look like that against the CYBORG known as Jonathan Papelbon?

I used to think that Ray Bentley's Alice Cooper facepaint looked intimidating until I saw Papelbon! There is no more terrorizing sight in all of sports. Papelbon would stuff ray Bentley into a locker and take his lunch money.

You forgot "% chance against Papelbon's heat": 0.

Captain Overrated looked as overmatched as he can possibly be. To be fair, who wouldn't look like that against the CYBORG known as Jonathan Papelbon?

I used to think that Ray Bentley's Alice Cooper facepaint looked intimidating until I saw Papelbon! There is no more terrorizing sight in all of sports. Papelbon would stuff ray Bentley into a locker and take his lunch money.

He also looked very over-matched against "the Gun from the Rising Sun" when he jacked that pitch over the Monster.

The idea that Jeter is a great player because of his "leadership" or "intangibles" is selling him and his career short.

All part of what makes him a great pleyer. I never argued that.

intangibles and leadership are great qualities to have and i agree that jeter has them. the problem is that he is paid superstar $ and performs like a role-player with his "intangibles".

for $21M i would like to see more than a slap hitter with marginal defensive skills.

i am a yankee fan but it pains me to see the yankees pay an avg player superstar $. jeter could probably get 1/2 that amt on the open market.

Archived