brad smith : " Jets' Smith showing offensive versatility " ~ ~ ~

kelly

Inside Dish: Jets' Smith showing offensive versatility

By Dennis Dillon - SportingNews

After coordinator Brian Schottenheimer and quarterback Chad Pennington, no one knows the Jets' offense better than versatile Brad Smith, who has stepped up in the team's offseason program. In addition to working on his strength and conditioning, Smith has been attending the quarterback, running back and wide receiver meetings as he tries to find his niche in Schottenheimer's flexible offense. .

After coordinator Brian Schottenheimer and quarterback Chad Pennington, no one knows the Jets' offense better than versatile Brad Smith, who has stepped up in the team's offseason program. In addition to working on his strength and conditioning, Smith has been attending the quarterback, running back and wide receiver meetings as he tries to find his niche in Schottenheimer's flexible offense. .

I hope it pays off for him. There is no reason he shouldn't be a high contributor this year, even if it is at all 3 positions.

Does this characterize a Mangini guy? I think so...

Now if we can get him to do more running and passing, I think this offense can only get better.

I remember being upset when the Jets drafted Smith over Reggie McNeil of Texas A&M, where I am an alum and I am a complete homer. Anyway, McNeil has since been one of the 72 Bengal players to be arrested in the past year and Smith has been an ultimate contributor to the team. They have similar frames and skills, but I think Brad has a lot more in the upstairs department. He really impressed me last year and I cannot wait to see what Brian has in store for him this year. I think this Jets offense will be much improved this year, and perhaps only missing an athletic TE and a couple of solid, young OL.

I am curious as to Why you say that ....?

He's already gotten interest from the Fins for a head coaching job, there will be more HCing opportunities next year, and Schotty will head the list.

too bad too, he's a great coordinator.

He's already gotten interest from the Fins for a head coaching job, there will be more HCing opportunities next year, and Schotty will head the list.

too bad too, he's a great coordinator.

Where the hell have I been??? This is the first I have heard of any of this!!! I too think he is a great OC, AFTER ONE F'N YEAR! The HC talk is a bit soon, no?

Where the hell have I been??? This is the first I have heard of any of this!!! I too think he is a great OC, AFTER ONE F'N YEAR! The HC talk is a bit soon, no?

a couple of teams asked permission to interview him or something like that.

I offered him more money to stay with us.

Also gave him lifetime supply of Band-aids

Schottenheimer was brought in by the Dolphins but backed out and stayed on with the Jets as their offensive coordinator.

With the interest being shown from him this offseason, he'll surely get a look at and possibly top the list of head coach candidates. It seems more and more likely, with teams going the younger head coach route.

Not to worry though. The Jets brought on Brian Daboll to become the QB Coach for a year. He seems like the most logical candidate to replace Schottenheimer when he walks on. Daboll was with the Patriots from 2000 to 2006 coaching on defense in the first year and then the final five years coaching receivers.

Schottenheimer was brought in by the Dolphins but backed out and stayed on with the Jets as their offensive coordinator.

With the interest being shown from him this offseason, he'll surely get a look at and possibly top the list of head coach candidates. It seems more and more likely, with teams going the younger head coach route.

Not to worry though. The Jets brought on Brian Daboll to become the QB Coach for a year. He seems like the most logical candidate to replace Schottenheimer when he walks on. Daboll was with the Patriots from 2000 to 2006 coaching on defense in the first year and then the final five years coaching receivers.

How old is Brian? Would he replace Lane K. as the youngest HC in history? This is still a shock!

How old is Brian? Would he replace Lane K. as the youngest HC in history? This is still a shock!

If we make the playoffs and do well again this year, he will stay and try to be a part of something great... rather than being a HC of a ****ty team... IMO

Not to be a homer, but I hope Smith gets in every preseason game and should get some shot for the future job along with clemens. The stats don't lie what he was able to do in college and if Mangini is true to his word, Smith should get equal opportunity.

Not to be a homer, but I hope Smith gets in every preseason game and should get some shot for the future job along with clemens. The stats don't lie what he was able to do in college and if Mangini is true to his word, Smith should get equal opportunity.

As a qb?!?! Mangini's word does not involve an open competition for every player at every position. Brad Smith is a wr now. He doesn't get "equal opportunity" at qb. By that logic if he deserves one then so do, Stacy Tutt, and the rest of Jetfuel's HS QB list-Rhodes, Frisman Jackson, Chansi Stuckey, etc. Try Vilma out at halfback? If Smith were such a hot qb prospect he wouldn't have lasted to the 4th round. As a qb he probably would have gone undrafted. He's an emergency/trick play option at qb and should get reps fitting that status.

I like Brad Smith. He has all the potential in the world at wr, but he had 9 catches last year for well under 100 yards. Tim Dwight was hurt half the year and had double the numbers and everybody is ready to cut him.

Brad Smith can help this team most by making large strides in the WR department. All that other "slash" stuff is fun and everything but if he becomes a credible deep threat then that would turn all the rest into icing on the cake.

Jeez, calm down, I was just saying if Mangini's whole "Open Tryout" thing isn't just a manufactured farce and the fact that Smith is the 3rd string QB (Can we truly consider Tui?) and put up great numbers, I would still like to see him actually throw the ball sometimes this year rather than run every time. Did I ever say that he is better than Clemens? No. What I meant was that Mangini should not be a hypocrite and Smith still needs to practice throwing the ball for whenever the hell Schott will change it up and have him throw on a trick play rather than run.

i useally agree with u..this time no.

schotty Will be a jets coach next year,unless he gets offerd an coaching job.

That's exactly his point. He thinks Schott will get offered a head job.

Jeez, calm down, I was just saying if Mangini's whole "Open Tryout" thing isn't just a manufactured farce and the fact that Smith is the 3rd string QB (Can we truly consider Tui?) and put up great numbers, I would still like to see him actually throw the ball sometimes this year rather than run every time. Did I ever say that he is better than Clemens? No. What I meant was that Mangini should not be a hypocrite and Smith still needs to practice throwing the ball for whenever the hell Schott will change it up and have him throw on a trick play rather than run.

I'm calm. I don't think Smith is a #3 qb and therefore I don't think he should get reps as a qb. Whether you think he can beat our Clemens is irrelevant. Giving him a series or two in the preseason isn't a bad idea (like last year) but IMO he shouldn't be competing as a qb because 1. he's not that good of a qb prospect (worse than Tui) 2. it will only slow his wr development. I wouldn't mind him throwing as part of the trick play package, but he should only have a limited package of plays. I suspect he had the option to throw a few times last year and chose the run first option to protect the ball.

Mangini would not be a hypocrite for failing to give a wr reps at qb any more than for failing to give a fb reps at qb.

...I don't think Smith is a #3 qb and therefore I don't think he should get reps as a qb. Whether you think he can beat our Clemens is irrelevant. Giving him a series or two in the preseason isn't a bad idea (like last year) but IMO he shouldn't be competing as a qb because 1. he's not that good of a qb prospect (worse than Tui) 2. it will only slow his wr development. I wouldn't mind him throwing as part of the trick play package, but he should only have a limited package of plays. I suspect he had the option to throw a few times last year and chose the run first option to protect the ball.

Mangini would not be a hypocrite for failing to give a wr reps at qb any more than for failing to give a fb reps at qb.

Wow! Smith spent the '06 Season listed as #4 QB on their depth chart, and for a few weeks, he was listed as #3 QB, so I guess maybe he should have a shot, and you should do some homework.

You said, "...he's not that good of a qb prospect (worse than Tui).." which tells me you have never seen him play at the position, and certainly not seen any of his Missouri games, where he was spectacular, not just good.

Schotty owes it to Mangini to stick around until Clemens takes over.

Clemens was Schotty/Mangini's guy in the draft, so he really should be his 1st offensive coordinator too. If he bolts before Clemens gets his chance to start I will be really pissed off. Thats just totally unfair to Clemens to have to learn a new offensive system before he gets his 1st start, after learning a different system his 1st 2 years in the league (06' and now 07').

If Schotty bolts after the 2007 season, Clemens will have to learn a new offensive system in 1 offseason as he likely becomes the starter in 2008. Not exactly a recipe for success, I'm just sayin.

I never saw a #4 qb on our depth chart. If they listed him there it's only as an ego boost for the kid. I saw plenty of his Missouri highlights and I actually watched a few games. A few good college games and youtube clips don't make him a pro prospect at qb. He was a 4th round pick. That's as a wr. As a qb he probably would have gone undrafted and likely wouldn't have made it out of a camp. If you think he was a great qb prospect maybe you should do your homework. Tui was a 2nd round pick and has started in the NFL. I haven't followed his career much, but he's a ****ty qb and he's still a better prospect than Smith.

Archived