Revis

timbok

Ok,since the draft I have learned a little on him from this site,fellow sites etc.

He is a good pass protector...but why did we really need another CB? Last year are pass defense wasn't bad,it was the run defense,it just makes no sense to me.

Miller (lol) Rhodes,Barrett.

we needed a LB that could help against the run..are pass game is now better but are run game is now an open invitation to run on it

Miller is a backup CB at best now, same with Barrett. Rhodes is a safety. And say you feel that Miller is a year or two away from becoming a starter in the nfl, he could always replace dyson and you have two younger guys in miller and revis. But I don't think that Miller has what it takes to be a starter.

Miller (lol) Rhodes,Barrett.

we needed a LB that could help against the run..are pass game is now better but are run game is now an open invitation to run on it

That's why we drafted Harris. He was touted as a good run stopping linebacker, so we really handled both of our needs with first round talent (many mock drafts had Harris going mid to late first round)

The Jets' pass defense only looked good on paper because:

1 - the competition wasn't too stiff (Ten, Mia x2, NE in the mud, Cle, Hou, GB, Min, Oak). When we faced a team who could pass & the weather wasn't a preventative factor (Indy, NE in the playoffs, Buf x2, Jax, & even Detroit), the opposition was able to move the ball in the air pretty efficiently.

2 - our run defense was lousy. If a team can get first downs without the risk of interceptions, they do it.

There were a couple of areas where we badly needed an upgrade. CB was one of them. Dyson is a good CB, and we've got him for like 4 more seasons which I'm happy with. To add someone that could make Dyson the 2nd-best CB on the team can make this a VERY tough team to pass on. Even more so if one of the guys opposite Thomas develops more of a sack-threat than Hobson did. Even if not, having 2 good CB's will create more coverage sacks.

I'm still concerned about 3/5 of our OL, but adding a character guy with shut-down skills (in a relatively weak draft where we started out with a very low pick) is nothing to get upset with.

The Jets' pass defense only looked good on paper because:

1 - the competition wasn't too stiff (Ten, Mia x2, NE in the mud, Cle, Hou, GB, Min, Oak). When we faced a team who could pass & the weather wasn't a preventative factor (Indy, NE in the playoffs, Buf x2, Jax, & even Detroit), the opposition was able to move the ball in the air pretty efficiently.

2 - our run defense was lousy. If a team can get first downs without the risk of interceptions, they do it.

There were a couple of areas where we badly needed an upgrade. CB was one of them. Dyson is a good CB, and we've got him for like 4 more seasons which I'm happy with. To add someone that could make Dyson the 2nd-best CB on the team can make this a VERY tough team to pass on. Even more so if one of the guys opposite Thomas develops more of a sack-threat than Hobson did. Even if not, having 2 good CB's will create more coverage sacks.

I'm still concerned about 3/5 of our OL, but adding a character guy with shut-down skills (in a relatively weak draft where we started out with a very low pick) is nothing to get upset with.

I'd give you a p.o.t.w for this but you win it too much.

name two starting caliber corner backs on the Jets roster besides Revis?

Andre Dyson and David Barrett.

The Jets did need a CB but Chris Houston, who is as good or better than Revis, was available at 25. No need to trade up to get Revis. Our run defense is still going to blow goats.

Didn't we just have this discussion a month ago. LOL, I think we needed a starting calibur cb, I just don't know if it was worth trading up to get him. I hope it pans out, but we do need some starting help on the O line and and another body that can play ie not a back up at NT.

Andre Dyson and David Barrett.

The Jets did need a CB but Chris Houston, who is as good or better than Revis, was available at 25. No need to trade up to get Revis. Our run defense is still going to blow goats.

Isn't Revis much better against the run than Houston? I don't think Houston was ranked that highly at all until he ran the great 40 at the combine. Since most of these guys don't like workout warriors I don't see why they'd love Houston. If Revis is truly a top corner I think he'll help the run and pass D. Dyson can really cover, so with 2 good man-to-man cover corners they will be able to load up more men in the box and run different schemes rather than helping Poteet, Coleman or whoever is playing the other spot.

against brady we did against him..against manning we had a good pass D,i think we could have drafted a better LB.

Which one would you have liked us to draft?

Manning was 21/30 (70%) with a TD & no picks. Put the stats aside: when the game dictated he needed to, he marched Indy right down the field against us with little difficulty. Also, he passed them down to the 1 and the 2 on two of their TD drives. Simply because they ran it in from so close doesn't mean that we "held" Manning to a bad day.

Brady - you're looking at gross stats. Try to remember the game instead of looking up #'s afterwards. They converted a lot of 3rd downs passing the ball. On top of which, his receivers where who? You really think we'd be just as successful with last year's CB's adding Stallworth & Moss? Right.

There was no single quick-fix where a rookie would take this team from mediocre talent to superbowl contender. CB in particular usually takes more time to develop. You don't wait until you're just a CB short to then draft one. And after seeing the contract size for a good-but-not-great Nate Clements ($80M) a month before the draft, it seems like a sound investment.

Alan Houston would have been a better choice than chris houston.

Alan Houston? On defense? We'd be giving up 140 a game!

revis-run who cares

if the run gets through the line what 6 yards are given up before revis can tackle him...

Yes, 6 yards is much worse than 20. Corners can't help against the run, might as well have guys that can't tackle. Doesn't the whole cover/Tampa-2 Herm concept use corners than can support against the run? I guess all the teams running that D have it wrong.

we needed an good LB,a CB helps..but we had a few good CB'S allready...

i wish we needed offense thats easier to discuss LOL

Yeah, we're set with young, top-notch talent at QB, LG, RG, RT, and TE (lol). I haven't really examined Barnes, so he may be just what we need or a bust.

We needed a lot. The draft has in it what the draft has in it. You can't invent a stud 3-4 nose tackle & say we should have drafted one when one didn't exist. Two areas we clearly needed help were at ILB & CB.

Vilma's going to be up for an extension after this season & if he has a repeat of 2006, his contract demands will be disproportionate to his value on the field in the 3-4. What if he wants a $60M contract extension or he walks at the end of the season? We may move him. Then what do we have? Backup talent & a 31 year-old Barton? I'd feel better about moving him if a non-rookie was our best ILB.

The FO seems to be all about keeping our options open. Having no other real talent at ILB forces our hand into giving Vilma an extension he may not live up to in the 3-4. Waiting until the 2007 season is over is the way Herm & Bradway would have handled it. If Schlegel shows he can do something other than bare-handed boar hunting, Vilma can be turned into another first round pick. If he suddenly turns it up in '07, then we extend him & have got quite a pair of young ILB'ers

Sperm here are some questions, with the Jets signing 800 OLB/DE's why do you think we didn't address ILB in FA and have really only added Harris to that spot? Was it because there really were no true 3-4 ILB on the market? Do you think some of those FA's will get a shot at ILB, maybe even try Hobson inside, at times? Or are they satisfied with Vilma and barring a bad season in '07 will give him his extension?

we needed an good LB,a CB helps..but we had a few good CB'S allready...

i wish we needed offense thats easier to discuss LOL

David Harris might prove to be one of the bes picks in the draft. He more than fills our future LB needs whether he replaces Vilma on the inside or Hobson (who is in the last year of his contract and the team hasnt even talked about extending) on the outside.

CB was the biggest need. I think OL was a bigger need than LB, but the Jets saw that the last, high quality, 3-4 fit LB was still available and moved to get him. And, they still picked up an OLineman that could be a real sleeper.

Sperm here are some questions, with the Jets signing 800 OLB/DE's why do you think we didn't address ILB in FA and have really only added Harris to that spot? Was it because there really were no true 3-4 ILB on the market? Do you think some of those FA's will get a shot at ILB, maybe even try Hobson inside, at times? Or are they satisfied with Vilma and barring a bad season in '07 will give him his extension?

Hobson is not moving inside. I really think that there is a good chance, as I suggested above and before, that Harris may well be Hobson's replacement. This is the last year on Hobson's contract (pretty sure) and the Jets have made no move to extend him. They draft a guy who is faster, taller, and could be as heavy as Hobson. There is no physical reason that Harris cant play that OLB spot that Hobson plays. Having said that, I do think Harris is more likely to be an inside guy, but I cant discount the idea that he might end up playing outside.

Isn't Revis much better against the run than Houston? I don't think Houston was ranked that highly at all until he ran the great 40 at the combine. Since most of these guys don't like workout warriors I don't see why they'd love Houston. If Revis is truly a top corner I think he'll help the run and pass D. Dyson can really cover, so with 2 good man-to-man cover corners they will be able to load up more men in the box and run different schemes rather than helping Poteet, Coleman or whoever is playing the other spot.

Yes. And Houston has zero ball skills.

There's a reason everyone passed on cornerback Chris Houston. He's not that good, and its not a Marcus McNeil situation because everyone was scared off by McNeils back. There's nothing wrong with Houstons health, he's just not very good.

Cornerback was our #1 need that was available to be filled in the offseason. NT were just not out there, unfortunately.

Yeah I agree Dom, I hate when we draft workout warriors. I like to see us pick players that are leaders, step up against great teams, and have athlete skills that translate to the pro level.

There's a reason everyone passed on cornerback Chris Houston. He's not that good, and its not a Marcus McNeil situation because everyone was scared off by McNeils back. There's nothing wrong with Houstons health, he's just not very good.

Cornerback was our #1 need that was available to be filled in the offseason. NT were just not out there, unfortunately.

I would say cb or o line. I know we went heavy on o line last draft, but it's still going to be a work in progress this year. I'm happy with the Revis pick, I just worry because cb is one of the hardest transitions from college to pro.

I would say cb or o line. I know we went heavy on o line last draft, but it's still going to be a work in progress this year. I'm happy with the Revis pick, I just worry because cb is one of the hardest transitions from college to pro.

Especially with Randy Moss and Tom Brady in the division... lol

so you see no talent whatsoever in revis or harris. tell me, who would you have drafted o masterful one?

I'm not sure if you're talking to me or not, but I didn't say that. It was just word association. Or image association. Somethin'.

Beavis_and_Butthead_by_Beavis_and_Butthead.jpg

WHile i like Houston as a player, I tend to agree with this, if memory serves Chris Houston has 0 career int in college. great man to man corner but lousy hands. Mangini wants a defense to create turnovers, that's understandable.

I think they believe they brought in enough bodies that OLB opposite Thomas will be ok among Hobson, Bowens, Haynes, and Wadsworth. If not, we'll address it next year since only Bowens was signed to a real contract (3 yrs) & the other three are UFA's after this year. Haynes & Wadsworth, to the best of my knowledge, have never played without a hand in the dirt. The move is liberating for some (B.Thomas & stars like Merriman, A.Thomas, S.Philips, etc.) & brings them better success they'd have had as pure 4-3 DE's. Time (and camp) will tell in due time.

The only available ILB'ers who have played in the 3-4 were hardly the type you build a young team around (London Fletcher, who just turned 32 & Donnie Edwards, who turns 34 in November) & would have commanded significant contracts. Taking a flyer on Harris for a 2nd & a 3rd and cheap $ for the next 4 years - particularly with both of last year's starters still around - is the better long-term plan.

Who moves to ILB? I think no one. They'll go with Vilma & Barton in '07 unless Harris shows he's ready right out of the gate, in which case they may trade Barton for a mid-round pick in '08. He makes too much to be a backup ($4.3M cap #), but in this market he's not expensive for a starter ($3M salary) for another team. I doubt they move Hobson inside. Plus they still have Schlegel who, despite being unimpressive as a rookie, you have to keep in mind was just that; a rookie.

True 3-4 DE's (not DE/OLB 'tweeners) in camp opposite Ellis are Kenyon Coleman (the likely starter barring the discovery that he's awful) & Eric Hicks, plus Kimo & Hamilton. It's possible they're looking at Haynes here also, but at 283 lbs (about the same as Ellis who's already not huge for a 3-4 DE) he may be more effective dropping 10 lbs & moving to OLB instead of adding 5-15 lbs and staying at DE. No one really knows what they have planned for him.

Compare that depth to our CB depth opposite Dyson, which is otherwise the same as last year other than the great Abdul Hodge:

Barrett, who I'm sure they'd like to unload given his $3.6M/yr salary ($4.4M cap #)

Miller, who has shown between little & nothing as a CB

Poteat & Coleman, who are fine for backups; not starters with Revis' talent

The only other area where we have such lousy depth (or starters) is on the offensive line. I think it came down to trading up for Revis when the opportunity presented itself or a top talent at guard (Blalock, etc); though nobody knows for sure. If there was a true RT available with first-round talent, I think they'd have stayed pat & gone that way considering they did take a look at Colombo & let Clement test the FA waters. The only player who might have come close to that was Levi Brown, but Arizona took him way earlier than he was expected to go.

Archived