1 member has voted

1. 1. Most Overrated Position?

• Strong Saftey
    • Running Back
    • Guard
    • Defensive Tackle
    • Wide Receiver
    • Outside Linebacker

Running back baby. No question in my mind.

If you build your offensive line properly you can throw a willie parker in there and make people debate on weather this burner (trung candidate II?) is one of the best in the NFL.

What a joke.

Second up? Has to be Strong Safety. It pays to have a dominating one, (hell, what position woulnd't ou want a dominant player?) but all you need is a super athlete that listens to what schemes he's running, and BOOM BABY! you have yourself a SS.

That's my two cents, i'll make a vote out of this.

Hey humans that have not signed up for a username and all that jazz. sign up, and vote. i see you looking at it, i see you walking to school, i see you in your homes. Vote humans. now go.

hehe

I say Wide Receiver, if a receiver can get a good QB and that QB has accuracy and time to throw, I believe anyone and everyone with speed can play the position.

hehe

I say Wide Receiver, if a receiver can get a good QB and that QB has accuracy and time to throw, I believe anyone and everyone with speed can play the position.

I don't know about that. If that was the case, someone would have established himself within the last 5 years in KC. I watched a bunch of Jax games this year & these guys - three giants with speed - just can't catch a friggin' football right in their hands. Seattle paid a bunch to bring over that clown from Minnesota. Same players all around & he lost his job to nobody. If it was just a matter of sticking anyone in there, then why couldn't ANYONE establish himself in Philly before T.O. got there? Why does SD keep trying to bring in others to play the position year after year?

WR's are not overrated at all. Just ask any Patsie fan. If anything, there are a number of very good ones that are underrated because of their mediocre to bad QB (like our own WR's for instance, Randy Moss in Oakland, Andre Johnson, Roy Williams, & even Galloway).

Any WR thrown in there simply cannot get separation and run perfect routes and juke a CB and go over the middle and whatever these guys do that makes them not scrubs.

RB is the most overrated position. There are a few guys that are just off the charts like Tomlinson & Johnson. But most of the top 10-15 guys are just products of being in good situations. Not to say they aren't talented, but I don't believe that the difference between say Curtis Martin from 2003 to 2004 was that he was a better player. The team around him was better, the schedule was more favorable, & it made him look better. He's not unique in this regard. Even before his injury, did Shaun Alexander suddenly become less talented than his MVP season a year before...or did he just lose Steve Hutchinson?

I don't know about that. If that was the case, someone would have established himself within the last 5 years in KC. I watched a bunch of Jax games this year & these guys - three giants with speed - just can't catch a friggin' football right in their hands. Seattle paid a bunch to bring over that clown from Minnesota. Same players all around & he lost his job to nobody. If it was just a matter of sticking anyone in there, then why couldn't ANYONE establish himself in Philly before T.O. got there? Why does SD keep trying to bring in others to play the position year after year?

WR's are not overrated at all. Just ask any Patsie fan. If anything, there are a number of very good ones that are underrated because of their mediocre to bad QB (like our own WR's for instance, Randy Moss in Oakland, Andre Johnson, Roy Williams, & even Galloway).

Any WR thrown in there simply cannot get separation and run perfect routes and juke a CB and go over the middle and whatever these guys do that makes them not scrubs.

RB is the most overrated position. There are a few guys that are just off the charts like Tomlinson & Johnson. But most of the top 10-15 guys are just products of being in good situations. Not to say they aren't talented, but I don't believe that the difference between say Curtis Martin from 2003 to 2004 was that he was a better player. The team around him was better, the schedule was more favorable, & it made him look better. He's not unique in this regard. Even before his injury, did Shaun Alexander suddenly become less talented than his MVP season a year before...or did he just lose Steve Hutchinson?

Maybe but, even though SD has no-name WRs, they are statistically the best offense or close to it pretty much year in and year out. Seattle also did well before they brought in branch, statistically actually they were near the top before last year's plunge. You just need competent WRs, it's one thing to have absolute garbage like Brady had last year, it's another to have competent ones, as Brady did en route to 3 SBs. Branch is a competent WR, not a great one, that Seattle severely overpaid for.

Maybe but, even though SD has no-name WRs, they are statistically the best offense or close to it pretty much year in and year out. Seattle also did well before they brought in branch, statistically actually they were near the top before last year's plunge. You just need competent WRs, it's one thing to have absolute garbage like Brady had last year, it's another to have competent ones, as Brady did en route to 3 SBs. Branch is a competent WR, not a great one, that Seattle severely overpaid for.

That plunge coincided with one of the best guards going to another team.

Don't know about most overrated (maybe te), but the most underrated is o-line. Always has been and always will be.

SD's offense is a bad example b/c they have one of the best RB's ever to play the game, in his prime. If it was so easy to find one just like him, then sure - having a great WR isn't that important. But it should be noted that until Brees had a reliable receiving target (Gates), they didn't have one of the best offenses at all, even with the game's best RB on the team & a QB who clearly had talent.

Agree with raffyD. Even though it's not one position, OL is the most important.

Agree with raffyD. Even though it's not one position, OL is the most important.

The year we went 4-12 we lost Chad, Fiedler, Vinny, Brooks and even played Kliff Kingbury... We played 5 QB's that season.

At the same time we also had 4 out of 5 O-Lineman playing a different position than the year before where we made the playoffs. So yea, The O-Line is the most important on Offense.

When it comes to the 4-3 D, the D-Line is more important than any other positions, thats how I feel. And with the 3-4, the LB's are most important. Thats why Im so pumped up about another Athlete playing alongside Vilma next season in D.Harris.

The year we went 4-12 we lost Chad, Fiedler, Vinny, Brooks and even played Kliff Kingbury... We played 5 QB's that season.

At the same time we also had 4 out of 5 O-Lineman playing a different position than the year before where we made the playoffs. So yea, The O-Line is the most important on Offense.

When it comes to the 4-3 D, the D-Line is more important than any other positions, thats how I feel. And with the 3-4, the LB's are most important. Thats why Im so pumped up about another Athlete playing alongside Vilma next season in D.Harris.

I'd have to say you have this backwards. The reason the Pats are so effective with their 34 is because of seymore and company. They might have the best three downlinemen in the league, this frees up their aging nobodies. With a 43, you are able to see guys like vilma be effective.

Hell, you saw it last year, in our 34 Vilma was just ok. In years prior he was close to, or in the pro bowl. Vilma didn't change, the defenseive scheme did.

I'd have to say you have this backwards. The reason the Pats are so effective with their 34 is because of seymore and company. They might have the best three downlinemen in the league, this frees up their aging nobodies. With a 43, you are able to see guys like vilma be effective.

Hell, you saw it last year, in our 34 Vilma was just ok. In years prior he was close to, or in the pro bowl. Vilma didn't change, the defenseive scheme did.

Maybe I do have it a little backwards... But last season it's not Vilmas fault we had Kimo on the D-Line instead of J.Abraham.

With the 3-4 D... I know the having a true NT is so important but at the same time if you have 4 play-makers flying to the ball in terms of LB's... I really feel that the 3-4 Linebackers are so important. This year im gonna enjoy watching Bryan Thomas, Vilma, Harris and Hobson plugging the holes. And Barton is going to get alot of playing time if not still being the starter.

Maybe I do have it a little backwards... But last season it's not Vilmas fault we had Kimo on the D-Line instead of J.Abraham.

With the 3-4 D... I know the having a true NT is so important but at the same time if you have 4 play-makers flying to the ball in terms of LB's... I really feel that the 3-4 Linebackers are so important. This year im gonna enjoy watching Bryan Thomas, Vilma, Harris and Hobson plugging the holes. And Barton is going to get alot of playing time if not still being the starter.

If we keep Barton on it'll give us A LOT of flexibility on Defense. Especially with DE/OLB guys D. Bowen and B. Thomas on the roster.

The line is more important than the guys behind it. In both the 3-4 and 4-3. In the 3-4 people too often confuse low sack or tackle numbers for DLmen with poor production.

Kimo was awful, but I hardly think John Abraham helped Vilma keep RB's in check.

I think CB is pretty overrated in this new NFL once you get past the top tier guys. Look what NE does with interchangeable CB's and what production the Jets got off the scrap heap with Poteat...

Maybe. I think it's mainly our division, and what a quality pass rush does to the play-requirements of DB's. I think quality cover-corners can make up for a poor-pass rush and vice versa. You need one or the other to excell.

Since a well-integrated defense covers its own back I'd have to say the most overrated positions exist on offense... Note the poll only has 14% geared to the D.

Did I just contradict myself? (???)

What I mean to say is, the glorified Offensive positions are over-glorified.

Actually, the game on a whole is a team-sport. One team's platinum is another team's fools gold (i.e., Edge James) The key is scheming, coaching and surrounding players. On a whole I think the one position that is most interchangeable (in an already great scheme) is RB.

Wide Receiver.

If you have a good enough scheme and a Quarterback who can get the ball to them when it needs to be there, you can win with almost anybody at Wide Receiver. Look at 3 of the 4 finalists in the NFL last season. Who the hell were some of these guys that were starting for these teams?

Marques Colston?

Bernard Berrian?

Jabar Gaffney?

Reche Caldwell?

Are you kidding me? It goes to show, good schemes + a good Quarterback and a good running game will show you that you don't need 3 Jerry Rice's to win rings.

It has to be wide receiver solely due to their involvement in a game. The most productive wr's only are directly involved with at most 10 touches on a busy day...with most getting under 5. There is no other position where there is a drastic difference between involvement and total plays.

I would have included TE's with this train of thought, but they do alot with blocking schemes on other plays, moreso than a wr, so they are exempt from getting grouped in with the WR's when it comes to relative inactivity in the game.

Definitly safety. In my opinion good safeties are a dime a dozen. Every team has good safeties, only a few have great... but really how often do you see a BAD safety?

True. Reggie Tongues don't come along that often. But when they do, only a defensive back expert like Herm Edwards would covet them.

RB should not even be an option.

I know. How it is an option I'll never know. I can't think of a recent Super Bowl participant who didn't have an at least above average Running Back. The most recent you can think of is '03 with Tampa Bay and Michael Pittman.

'04 - Dillon & Westbrook

'05 - Bettis / Parker & Alexander

'06 - Addai / Rhodes & Jones / Benson

I know. How it is an option I'll never know. I can't think of a recent Super Bowl participant who didn't have an at least above average Running Back. The most recent you can think of is '03 with Tampa Bay and Michael Pittman.

'04 - Dillon & Westbrook

'05 - Bettis / Parker & Alexander

'06 - Addai / Rhodes & Jones / Benson

Actually you just made the opposite argument.

Bettis was like 40 years old & while still ok, he was clearly past his prime.

Willie Parker was a fast nobody running behind a stud OL.

Rhodes was the man for Indy in the SB and he's at best an average talent

Thomas Jones is a 4.0 ypc HB (the average for an NFL RB)

Tampa Bay was '02 with Pittman

'03 was NE with the super-studly Antowain Smith & Kevin Faulk.

RB is the most overrated position. A great OL makes average guys look above average.

Tell me what the biggest difference was between Derrick Blaylock on the Chiefs & Derrick Blaylock on the Jets. Did he suddenly run out of talent...or did he just suddenly run out of pro-bowl/hall of fame OLmen?

Did Edgerrin James suddenly become untalented upon leaving Indy?

Were Mike Anderson or Olandis Gary great RB's, or did they just benefit from playing on a team with a great OL?

Why, however talented he still is, hasn't Clinton Portis sniffed at the success he had in Denver? Went from averaging 5.5ypc for 2 years straight to not coming within a yard of that since then. Is he less talented now than he was then?

Corey Dillon lost his friggin' job to another player in 2003. In 2004 on a better team he has his best season statistically.

Priest Holmes was an undrafted player, started 1 season, played backup to a rookie, then got outright released b/c no one would give up a 7th-rounder for him. He goes to KC and suddenly he's re-writing record books.

There are a handful of very special RB's. There are also some very bad ones. But most of them are just products of the situations they are in & that's what makes them look better or worse than others.

Archived