Theory on Curtis's Retirement

DMaynard

Now don't attack me, this is just something I heard a sports radio host say and I am curious what people think about it. I apologize if this has already been suggested/discussed.

The theory is that Curtis purposely stalled his retirement announcement for a year because it was known that Jerome Bettis was definitely retiring after the 2005 season and looked probable for Marshall Faulk to retire having taken the NFL Network job. The theory goes that Curtis wants to be a first ballot inductee into the HOF. If he became eligible at the same time as Faulk and Bettis, it would be kind of a long shot for three RBs all becoming eligible at the same time getting in the first year. I have to say it was kind of strange the way Curtis just kind of hung out last year as a PUP and by all indications, and the Jets actions, seemed to indicate he was done.

Now don't attack me, this is just something I heard a sports radio host say and I am curious what people think about it. I apologize if this has already been suggested/discussed.

The theory is that Curtis purposely stalled his retirement announcement for a year because it was known that Jerome Bettis was definitely retiring after the 2005 season and looked probable for Marshall Faulk to retire having taken the NFL Network job. The theory goes that Curtis wants to be a first ballot inductee into the HOF. If he became eligible at the same time as Faulk and Bettis, it would be kind of a long shot for three RBs all becoming eligible at the same time getting in the first year. I have to say it was kind of strange the way Curtis just kind of hung out last year as a PUP and by all indications, and the Jets actions, seemed to indicate he was done.

I never understood why some of these guys wait so long to announce their retirement usually long after everyone including they themselves know it's over

You talking about the same Curtis Martin that played for the Jets? The selfless classy player that doesn't care about recognition and never showboated or bragged? That Curtis Martin?

Yep, this sounds like something he'd do! /sarcasm

I think he's more concerned with being an owner of an NFL team now than a HoF first ballot.

Yes.

He is a nice guy, but he is also a competitor and strives to be the best... Im sure he gives a damn about his legacy for himself...

I disagree...He knows he played his heart out and left it all on the field every game regardless of the team around him. Yeah, an HOF would be cool, but I'm sure thats not the first thing on his mind.

I disagree...He knows he played his heart out and left it all on the field every game regardless of the team around him. Yeah, an HOF would be cool, but I'm sure thats not the first thing on his mind.

I dont know... for a guy coming from not much to so much in his life... and as competitive as he is... Im sure he wants to seal it off with a 1st ballot...

I don't care if there are 10 running backs coming out that year, Curtis is a first ballot without any doubt. He is the only other back besides Sanders to start his first 10 years with 1,000 yards and is 4th all-time in yards.

As far as him waiting to retire, I believe his version which says that he was holding out hope that he'd be able to play again.

I dont know... for a guy coming from not much to so much in his life... and as competitive as he is... Im sure he wants to seal it off with a 1st ballot...

I disagree. Curtis will be in the HOF. I don't think he cares if he misses a year.

I disagree. Curtis will be in the HOF. I don't think he cares if he misses a year.

He cares... it might not of affected when he retired... but he cares... he likes to win... why would he want to lose on his last "game"

Curtis Martin hasn't done a single thing in his career to suggest that he would align himself a particular way to give him the best chance of making the hall of fame. Martin was selfless his entire career and put the team before him in every game.

He probably stayed on the PUP list because he thought he had a legitimate shot at rehabbing his knee and putting out another season or two. The signing of Thomas Jones pretty much squashed that idea. Curtis Martin loved playing football, and it's never easy to walk away from something that you love and has been a large part of your life.

the guy has had an amazing career. He will be in the hall of fame no matter what.

Curtis Martin hasn't done a single thing in his career to suggest that he would align himself a particular way to give him the best chance of making the hall of fame. Martin was selfless his entire career and put the team before him in every game.

Lol. He aligned himself EXACTLY this way when he was running for mostly under 3 ypc in his final season as the Jets lost game after game after game. He was putting Curtis' stats first and the Jets second. Did the same thing in early '02 when he was clearly too injured to be effective. And the Jets lost game after game while he went nowhere.

All 3 are eligible for 2011 so this makes entirely no sense. All 3, Martin - Bettis - Faulk, are 1st year eligibles for 2011.

Correct.

It's 5 years from his last season where he actually played, not 5 years from his last season when he is technically on a roster.

No I can not see Martin going delaying his retirement to be a first ballot hall of famer. BTW while he does not ahve any rings, he is the 4th leading rusher of all time that is reason enough for him to get in on the first try regardless of who his competition is.

Correct.

It's 5 years from his last season where he actually played, not 5 years from his last season when he is technically on a roster.

As Johnny Carson would say, "I did not know that". Well, that kills that conspiracy theory. :)

Lol. He aligned himself EXACTLY this way when he was running for mostly under 3 ypc in his final season as the Jets lost game after game after game. He was putting Curtis' stats first and the Jets second. Did the same thing in early '02 when he was clearly too injured to be effective. And the Jets lost game after game while he went nowhere.

Your hatred for Herm really clouds your judgement. What player should decide when he comes out? That is the coaches job. Seriously man let it go. Curtis is a Hall Of Famer. If he played hurt and was less than 100% it isn't his job to organize the depth chart.

Your hatred for Herm really clouds your judgement. What player should decide when he comes out? That is the coaches job. Seriously man let it go. Curtis is a Hall Of Famer. If he played hurt and was less than 100% it isn't his job to organize the depth chart.

Exactly... I would much rather have a player with the heart and motivation of Curtis Martin (Even when hurt, will still give it his all to help his team... Even if it means hurting the team in the long run) Than a player like J.Abraham who gets a stomatch flu in a playoff game and sits out the remainder of the game.

Correct.

Are you sure about that, Sperm? I thought the player had to officially anounce his retirement.

Archived