Revis Deal Looks Imminent (Merged 3X)

TaborJet

Revis Deal Looks Imminent

The Darrelle Revis talks continue to heat up. It's starting to look like something might get done today, perhaps tomorrow. Stay tuned.

Posted by Rich Cimini on August 14, 2007 4:05 PM

I see rich has gone to the smizzy school of indepth reporting

JETS, REVIS PLAYING NICE

After weeks of impasse over the length of the rookie contract offered to cornerback Darrelle Revis, it looks like the Jets and the player are making progress.

At a minimum, they are talking -- and jointly talking about the fact that they are talking. About talking.

"We are working hard to reach an agreement and we will continue working as long as it takes to get the deal done," said Jets G.M. Mike Tannenbaum and the agents for Revis, Neil Schwartz and Jonathan Feinsod, in an unusual joint statement. "We are planning on meeting through the night and our intent is to meet until an agreement has been reached."

We recently pointed out that, despite the team's insistence on a six-year deal, the Jets have a history of using five-year deals for first-round players not selected in the top ten. Revis was the No. 14 overall selection in the draft, and by rule the Jets may insist on a six-year deal. But all other players drafted in the vicinity have signed five-year contracts, or six-year deals that easily void to five-year packages.

Our guess? It will be a six-year deal with reasonably reachable escalators that will make the compensation in years five and six so high that the team's only option will be to sign Revis to a long-term deal, or release him. This will allow the team to avoid creating the perception that it blinked, and it will allow the agents to beat back any attacks on their 2008 recruiting efforts arising from the decision to commit Revis for six seasons.

When Tanny can run his own site then I would believe him. I am saying it won't be done until Thursday. You really need to believe me.

Red tape, lawyers, administrative hold ups. It is Thursday before you know it.

:)

When Tanny can run his own site then I would believe him. I am saying it won't be done until Thursday. You really need to believe me.

We'll see about that.

I'll most likely wear my Revis jersey to camp tomorrow just in case he does sign and is out on the field.

Max, you da man. but i know who not to go to when i absolutely need it done by tomorrow... :P

Archived