Dice-K?

JonEJet

With a record of 13-10, the guy really hasn't been all that spectacular.

I'm sure you Bahston fans would have like for more after investing, what $100 million in the guy.

That World Baseball series really hyped him up.....now that the league is starting to see him again, the record really isn;t there

I would have to say his butt buddie-friend has been much more the valuable pitcher, Okajima.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure you Bahston fans would have like for more after investing, what $100 million in the guy.

That World Baseball series really hyped him up.....now that the league is starting to see him again, the record really isn;t there

I would have to say his butt buddie-friend has been much more the valuable pitcher, Okajima.

Ignorance is bliss, eh JonE? In his last 11 starts the Red Sox have scored 29 runs. I suppose you could compare that to Andy Pettitte's woeful run support too, but that would just make to much sense. It isn't like he is going out there and getting battered. He gave up two hits last night.

Also, if you want to split hairs this is his first year in the United States and Major League Baseball, and not for nothing pitching in the harder, better league. Josh Beckett wasn't all he was advertised to be last season either. This season after adjustment and time working with Varitek in the offseason? He is a top 3 Cy Young Candidate. Now I am not saying that will happen with Dice-K, but with his age and stuff he is going to be a staff ace, along with Beckett, for quite some time.

Look at it this way. Base solely on ERA and quality starts he'd be just slightly behind Andy Pettitte as staff ace of the Yankees. Not bad for a rookie.

Ignorance is bliss, eh JonE? In his last 11 starts the Red Sox have scored 29 runs. I suppose you could compare that to Andy Pettitte's woeful run support too, but that would just make to much sense. It isn't like he is going out there and getting battered. He gave up two hits last night.

Also, if you want to split hairs this is his first year in the United States and Major League Baseball, and not for nothing pitching in the harder, better league. Josh Beckett wasn't all he was advertised to be last season either. This season after adjustment and time working with Varitek in the offseason? He is a top 3 Cy Young Candidate. Now I am not saying that will happen with Dice-K, but with his age and stuff he is going to be a staff ace, along with Beckett, for quite some time.

Look at it this way. Base solely on ERA and quality starts he'd be just slightly behind Andy Pettitte as staff ace of the Yankees. Not bad for a rookie.

While I agree with the gist of your comments, I do not think he would be in the Cy Young running. You stated that he is a top 3. I have to go through the entire rosters of all the teams, but there are a few guys ahead of him, and even at least 1 closer (Putz, from Seattle) who is more deserving.

In addition, like Hedeki Matsui, he is not a rookie, regardless what the rules are. A decade in the top level of Japanese Baseball is a lot different than a kid from the bush leagues, with bus trips all over the country.

While I agree with the gist of your comments, I do not think he would be in the Cy Young running. You stated that he is a top 3. I have to go through the entire rosters of all the teams, but there are a few guys ahead of him, and even at least 1 closer (Putz, from Seattle) who is more deserving.

In addition, like Hedeki Matsui, he is not a rookie, regardless what the rules are. A decade in the top level of Japanese Baseball is a lot different than a kid from the bush leagues, with bus trips all over the country.

I'd probably go Cy Young right now:

1. Putz (If M's make playoffs)

2. Bedard

3. Beckett

4. Santana

And I bet I'm forgetting someone.

And I know he is not technically a rookie, but just like a rookie there is a definite period of transition.

I'm very happy with Dice-K. He has the occasional crappy inning where he seems to lose control but other than that he has been great.

Pettitte's ERA is 3.69. Dice-K's is 3.76. Dice-K has more wins & K's than Pettitte and has given up 30 less hits in the same amount of innings pitched.

You would be singing his praises if he was wearing pinstripes.

I'm very happy with Dice-K. He has the occasional crappy inning where he seems to lose control but other than that he has been great.

Pettitte's ERA is 3.69. Dice-K's is 3.76. Dice-K has more wins & K's than Pettitte and has given up 30 less hits in the same amount of innings pitched.

You would be singing his praises if he was wearing pinstripes.

Not really...I don't particularly care for Wang either. Let me say this, Asian pitchers aren't known to have long careers...a few years and then they burn out.

Hideo Nomo probably had the most success and I believe he's out of the league now.

Not really...I don't particularly care for Wang either. Let me say this, Asian pitchers aren't known to have long careers...a few years and then they burn out.

Hideo Nomo probably had the most success and I believe he's out of the league now.

I guess we will see what happens going forward with Dice-K.

Looks like he will start Tuesday against Pettitte.

This forum is going to be in a frenzy next week with the Sox/Yanks series.

Considering pitching in a totally different environment the Red Sox have to be happy with the quality starts he has given them.

Don't rain on JonE's parade! He called out Dice-K after he gave up 2 runs on 2 hits last night.

Don't rain on JonE's parade! He called out Dice-K after he gave up 2 runs on 2 hits last night.

I'm not positive,,,but didn;t he lose to the Rays last week after giving up 6 runs

Hey, a loss is a loss

He's mediocre at best this year,,, and as hitters continue to see him, he;ll get knocked around some more

I'm not positive,,,but didn;t he lose to the Rays last week after giving up 6 runs

Hey, a loss is a loss

He's mediocre at best this year,,, and as hitters continue to see him, he;ll get knocked around some more

The Rays did get to him for 6 runs last week. No argument from me about that fact.

Here's something for you. Pettitte stats against Dice-K's.

Pettitte: 173 IP, 185 Hits, 71 ER, 114 K, 55 BB, 3.69 ERA - 11-7 record.

Dice-K: 170 IP, 153 Hits, 71 ER, 172 K, 63 BB, 3.76 ERA - 13-10 record.

The Rays did get to him for 6 runs last week. No argument from me about that fact.

Here's something for you. Pettitte stats against Dice-K's.

Pettitte: 173 IP, 185 Hits, 71 ER, 114 K, 55 BB, 3.69 ERA - 11-7 record.

Dice-K: 170 IP, 153 Hits, 71 ER, 172 K, 63 BB, 3.76 ERA - 13-10 record.

All that means is that Petitte is mediocre as well.

I'm pretty happy with Dice-K this year. I didn't expect him to come into the MLB and light 'em up. He's been decent and when he takes the mound you pretty much know that you have a legit shot at winning the game.

But isn't it comedy gold when JonE starts a thread about Dice-K and the $100 million the Sox paid for him.

Not to mention that Dice-K has pitched just as well as a seasoned veteran in Pettite.

But isn't it comedy gold when JonE starts a thread about Dice-K and the $100 million the Sox paid for him.

Not to mention that Dice-K has pitched just as well as a seasoned veteran in Pettite.

You're a vile, disgusting Sawx puke. And some other names.

Hey, a loss is a loss

Only his record big boy.

His ERA was over 5 earlier this year in the high 4s as late as Early June.

He was 7-3 on June 1st with a 4.83 ERA.

He is 6-7 since and his ERA is now down to 3.76.

Do the math.

Dice has shown his worth. He does not appear overwhelmed by the media or pitching in Boston which is always a concern for any player much less one from the other side of the world.

WHy must all of you vile, trashy Sawx degenerates feel the need to compare Dice-K with Sir Andy Pettitte

Mister Sayonara could not hold Mr. Pettitte's jock

Typical Pukes though.....feel the need to compare themselves to the superior Yankee player

WHy must all of you vile, trashy Sawx degenerates feel the need to compare Dice-K with Sir Andy Pettitte

Mister Sayonara could not hold Mr. Pettitte's jock

Typical Pukes though.....feel the need to compare themselves to the superior Yankee player

:yawn:

:rl:

Ah - remember the good 'ole days when you could call people "pukes" and such and no one would be offended? I liked those days. I hope they are back. Threads like this make me miss JBF.

ah......misty water color memories.......of the way we were.....LOL!

The real Dice will be seen in 2009 after a couple of seasons of MLB hitters and strike-zone. But not a bad pitcher for $9M per year.

$9 mil a year as far as he's concerned...just because that's what he's getting paid doesn't mean it's what the Sox paid to get him. He costing almost $100 million and for that he SHOULD be posting a sub 4.00 ERA. Don't get me wrong, Ive said from day one that I thought he'd be a stud in the majors and for the most part he has been. To pretend he's only costing the sox $9 mil per season is just silly.

$9 mil a year as far as he's concerned...just because that's what he's getting paid doesn't mean it's what the Sox paid to get him. He costing almost $100 million and for that he SHOULD be posting a sub 4.00 ERA. Don't get me wrong, Ive said from day one that I thought he'd be a stud in the majors and for the most part he has been. To pretend he's only costing the sox $9 mil per season is just silly.

To pretend the Sox are not getting in-roads in Asia is silly also.

Despite that article yesterday in the USA Today, Yankees brand of baseball is first and foremost worldwide.

The Sox buying Dice-K shows the JBL and it's players that the Sox also will spend money to get stars.

Another benefit, signing one of the most popular stars in their history, when they show his games, it is Boston being repeated over and over and over again.

Couple those two things, the Yanks will still be number one, but now there is another option.

Plus, their is Sox merchandise sales that will have a positive effect.

IMHO the total price is similar to the Celtics trading 7 players for Garnett. No one wanted to go there as a FA. So they had to get one hooked to help grease the wheel.

The 17 million (per season) he is costing them is worth it.

Another quality outing by your $100 million dollar man, Dice-L MatsoSUCKA

PITCHING STATS

Pitcher Matsuzaka 6.11106532

6.1 innings

110 pitches

6 Hits

5 Earned Runs

3 Walks

2 K's

Yeah...lets compare him to King Andy Pettitte:yawn:

"King" Pettitte ($16 million a year):

7 innings