The Jets won't finish the season above .500

Iceman88

I know I'm going to get a lot of **** for this but I really don't think that the Jets can repeat last seasons playoff appearance or even finish the season with a winning record.

On offense we have loads of problems starting with the offensive line. Losing Kendall was a big blow no matter what some of you say and the LG position unless upgraded through waivers or a trade, will become a revolving door for defenses on passing plays. The line is still going to have trouble opening holes as well and our running game will not be great even with Jones at RB.

At QB we have Pennington who while some here will defend to the death is not a good starting QB. He doesn't have the arm strength to make the throws neccesary to be a great QB and will leave defenses to dare him to beat him with his arm alone which he can't. The running game will have more problems since nobody respects Penningtons ability to throw a ball more then 20 yards. Pennington also constantly gets our recievers killed on lame duck throws. I'm not saying Kellen will change all this but we need a new QB.

On defense the front 7 isn't going to get the job done. Our rush defense will be one of the worst in the league again and teams will run all over us. While I think our secondary is actually a pretty good unit since we can't get a pass rush going teams will still be able to throw even though they probably won't have to.

Lastly to top if all off we have a much harder schedule this year and teams won't be thrown of from decisions by our coaching staff as much as last season.

I know this look is pretty pessimistic but I honestly don't see how so many people are thinking playoffs on these boards when our team has so many glaring problems. I don't think we will be above .500 this year but I think it will be good year of development and growth cause I think in a few more years this team can be one of the best.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your saying this based on what? The pre-season?

With a revolving door at the LG spot (which will need to be, and likely will be addressed...)

The starting RB (TJ) is out

Miller one of the best return men in the game, is out.... field position will improve

They have been trying different guys on the Punt return team, Smith sucked and got the JETS pinned at the 1 yard line, that wont happen in the regular season...

They havent opened the playbook up yet, on offense or defense... look at the end of last season, compared to this pre-season...

Its too early to tell... your jumping the gun a bit... re-think this after week 4

Your saying this based on what? The pre-season?

With a revolving door at the LG spot (which will need to be, and likely will be addressed...)

The starting RB (TJ) is out

Miller one of the best return men in the game, is out.... field position will improve

They have been trying different guys on the Punt return team, Smith sucked and got the JETS pinned at the 1 yard line, that wont happen in the regular season...

They havent opened the playbook up yet, on offense or defense... look at the end of last season, compared to this pre-season...

Its too early to tell... your jumping the gun a bit... re-think this after week 4

I hope your right, because I kind of have the same feeling as ice does.

I hope your right, because I kind of have the same feeling as ice does.

Who knows how they will finish... but pre-season is a poor indicator... they are trying new things and the team is nowhere near full strength...

Manny Collins was playing RCB against the Giants starters...

Who knows how they will finish... but pre-season is a poor indicator... they are trying new things and the team is nowhere near full strength...

Manny Collins was playing RCB against the Giants starters...

I might just give you rep for your eternal optimism!

I might just give you rep for your eternal optimism!

Say it with me... MANNY COLLINS

LOL - The JETS D did pretty well until MANNY COLLINS got beat for a TD... :lol:

I love my team Gainzo! You know this... but MANNY FREAKIN COLLINS...!!! LOL

The Panthers, a sexy pick for the Super Bowl last year, went 4-0 in the preseason. They failed to make the playoffs. Please let them be a cautionary tale, do yourself a favor and wait until Week 1 before hitting the panic switch. You'll end up healthier in the end.

It's not a prediction if you make it in week 4.

You can look at the roster, the schedule and the play of last year to make an educated guess. A lot of us, looking at everything together, and the re-emergence of teams such as the Bengals and Broncos and even the Patriots, don't think the Jets are going to be a playoff team. In the end it is just a guess, this is true, but if we weren't allowed to project future results then nobody would ever draft a player out of college or place a gambling bet.

It's not a prediction if you make it in week 4.

You can look at the roster, the schedule and the play of last year to make an educated guess. A lot of us, looking at everything together, and the re-emergence of teams such as the Bengals and Broncos and even the Patriots, don't think the Jets are going to be a playoff team. In the end it is just a guess, this is true, but if we weren't allowed to project future results then nobody would ever draft a player out of college or place a gambling bet.

Yes but I look at the JETS as an improved team from last year...

They have improved at....

QB - Chad is fully healthy and Clemens is coming along

RB - Jones is here, and Leon is more experienced and better, Ware seems good too

FB - Askew is gone, nuff said

WR - Coles is always good, Cotch is breaking out, Jmac has the fire in his eye, stuckey and smith are ballers

TE - Ryan can catch now...

C - Mangold will improve with experience

DE - added a ton of depth... if anything it will keep fresh legs on the field and be better than last year...

DT - Pouha is back and Mosely looks good in pre-season... some good depth there

LB - Thomas is breaking out, Vilma will have a chance to improve, Harris looks great

Safety - Rhodes is emerging as a star, Coleman is look solid, if healthy Smith is a good option too

CB - Revis looks great, Miller has another year with mangini teaching him, Dyson is solid, Barrett has been good in pre-season

ST - Stuckey is a good return man for punts, Miller is a great KR... NUGE is great, Grahm is great... Westhof has a hell of a unit...

Coaching... Year #2... now they can get even deeper into the playbook becuase the basics are installed...

RB - Jones is here, and Leon is more experienced and better, Ware seems good too

WR - Coles is always good, Cotch is breaking out, Jmac has the fire in his eye, stuckey and smith are ballers

DE - added a ton of depth... if anything it will keep fresh legs on the field and be better than last year...

LB - Thomas is breaking out, Vilma will have a chance to improve, Harris looks great

Safety - Rhodes is emerging as a star, Coleman is look solid, if healthy Smith is a good option too

CB - Revis looks great, Miller has another year with mangini teaching him, Dyson is solid, Barrett has been good in pre-season

ST - Stuckey is a good return man for punts, Miller is a great KR... NUGE is great, Grahm is great... Westhof has a hell of a unit...

Coaching... Year #2... now they can get even deeper into the playbook becuase the basics are installed...

Looks good on paper, but everyone else in the AFC had been getting stronger too. And all it takes is one glaring weakness (like the guard position) or one major injury to destroy our chances. Luckily, we DO have a strong coaching staff, and that can make a huge difference. But we are indeed going to have our work cut out for us once again this season.

Why didn't you mention the other 4 positions on the O-Line?

Why didn't you mention the other 4 positions on the O-Line?

They stayed the same, or got worse (LG).

Overall I think the team is better, and I also think they will find a comparable OG to take Kendall's spot... Chad put up over 300 yards against the Pats in week 3 with norm Katnick starting at LG... in 06

Id like to be optimistic like you guys but I just dont see it...

You win the game in the trenches, and basically both sides of our line are substantially below average. I really dont care if its Pennington or Clemens or Peyton Manning...if we get pressured like we did last night QB play will be ineffective. Also TJ might as well be Kevin Barlow if he gets hit in the backfield. On the defense, our cbs are injured and unless our D goes back to a blitzing mentality (which I think they will), it wont matter b/c our front line cant get any pressure at all. The biggest issue of the season was IMO the NT spot, and it went totally overlooked by the FO... D-Rob is doing way better than I thought, but that position in the 3-4 is by far the most impotant position on the field, and we don't have a good, or even average 3-4 NT.

I was optimistic about the team last year b/c of low expectaitons and a soft schedule...now we have high expectations and a tough schedule and I just dont see this being any better than a .500 team. I really think the FO plan is to prepare for a superbowl run in 2-3 years, explaining Kendall's loss and not reaching for a NT, etc. If it is then ok I can understand b/c no matter what the Jets did this off season we still prob. would not be a superbowl contender w/ the Pats in our division.

They stayed the same, or got worse (LG).

Overall I think the team is better, and I also think they will find a comparable OG to take Kendall's spot... Chad put up over 300 yards against the Pats in week 3 with norm Katnick starting at LG... in 06

So a new OG will rock up this week and be dominant on opening day? The Pats D-Line has been excellent thus far in the the preaseaon (minus Seymour).

The only way Chad puts up 300 yards is if Leon and the WR's put up silly yards after the catch or its a blowout and Chad racks up 160 yards in the 4th quarter.

So a new OG will rock up this week and be dominant on opening day? The Pats D-Line has been excellent thus far in the the preaseaon (minus Seymour).

The only way Chad puts up 300 yards is if Leon and the WR's put up silly yards after the catch or its a blowout and Chad racks up 160 yards in the 4th quarter.

Did I say that?

Im sure they will be able to do better than Norm Katnick....

Yeah you did :P

I just dont think highly of Kendall I guess, my bad... but seriously the JETS Oline will be better off in the 1st meeting with the PATS this year than it was last year...

Last year

Dbrick (rookie)

Norm Katnick

Mangold (rookie)

moore

Clement

This year

Dbrick

Clarke/Bender/FA-Trade(hopefully)

Mangold

Moore

Clement

I just dont think highly of Kendall I guess, my bad... but seriously the JETS Oline will be better off in the 1st meeting with the PATS this year than it was last year...

Last year

Dbrick (rookie)

Norm Katnick

Mangold (rookie)

moore

Clement

This year

Dbrick

Mangold

Moore

Clement

Did you type that without laughing?

Teague was going to start the season at C before he broke his foot last season...

hell, even playing teague at center and having slid mangold to guard would work for me at this point. This OG thing is getting ridiculous.

I am a little nervous the jets won't play with the spark they played with last year, but all this naysaying is just ridiculous.

'jets can't make the playoffs because the broncs, and bengals are better, and we are worse, we need to bench CP, jones is hurt"

its just lame, this board is impossible to read today, its driving me nuts with all the negativity.

wait....do yards returned after an INT count?

hell, even playing teague at center and having slid mangold to guard would work for me at this point. This OG thing is getting ridiculous.

I am a little nervous the jets won't play with the spark they played with last year, but all this naysaying is just ridiculous.

'jets can't make the playoffs because the broncs, and bengals are better, and we are worse, we need to bench CP, jones is hurt"

its just lame, this board is impossible to read today, its driving me nuts with all the negativity.

I know how you feel man... I try and think positive, thats the fun part about being a fan... BELIEVING IS EVERYTHING... And thats why if we have a let down season, I wont be like Barton and company, I wont say... "I TOLD YOU SO" I will be pretty fuucking down as a football fan because I know we have something special in the Jets team.

I lookat it like this... We made the playoffs last season with a rookie HC in E.Mangini who really had no idea in the type of players he had on this Jets team, also a rookie OC in Martys boy.

Chad helped lead this team to the playoffs after missing time for just about 2 years.

We made the playoffs with a 1-2-3 punch with Barlow, Blaylock and Houston... This year we have Thomas Jones and Leon Washington...

This year we know we have pocket A's in Coles and Cotchery with some play-makers such as Stukey and B.Smith who should make some plays this season for Chad and the Jets Offense.

Last year Brick and Mangold were thrown into the fire by Mangini as rookies... This season they will be 1 year better.

K.Rhodes is 4real

We just drafted the best CB in the draft in D.Revis, J.Miller is still one of the youngest players on this Jets team and still has alot of potential

We have a kicker in Nugent who is money

I can go on and on... Im gonna root for my team all year long untill we are eliminated from playoff contention.

While .500 is a little low, looking at our offense last night, I think I am going to take one win away from my 10-6 prediction.

No panic, but certainly not cheering.

BZ

Just a second, JN's number one homer is backtracking after a preseason game? :confused:

While .500 is a little low, looking at our offense last night, I think I am going to take one win away from my 10-6 prediction.

No panic, but certainly not cheering.

BZ

I hear you. I havent posted my prediction yet, but I too have reduced it by one win, since the FO traded the incumbent LG without having a suitable replacement. Could change again, let's see what they come up with.

I think I've been saying 7-9 for about 8 months, almost nobody wanted to listen, but now they see what I saw coming.

Yeah, but we just said that because we "hate the Jets", not because we are wise prognosticators that don't wear green goggles.

Archived