Does Schlegel Stay or Go?

Green DNA

Schlegel actually had a pretty decent game last night for maybe the first time ever. He is definitely on the bubble, but I think he makes the team. I would get rid of Chatham and Kassell as they have peaked career wise at a pretty low level. Spencer has looked good so far, but whiffed on a couple of tackles last night. I would vote to keep Schlegel.

He's got vested interest by virtue of the pick spent to grab him. I'd much rather keep a young longer term development guy who could add to the future than a Kassell or another peaked out vet. I guess a lot of it depends on where the CS has determined his head is at - and those are things we aren't privy to.

He's got vested interest by virtue of the pick spent to grab him. I'd much rather keep a young longer term development guy who could add to the future than a Kassell or another peaked out vet. I guess a lot of it depends on where the CS has determined his head is at - and those are things we aren't privy to.

I suppose I would'nt mind him taking Kassell's spot.

I think he is the same age as Kassel. neither of them have been overly impressive though.

I hate when NE dumps a scrub player... And the Jets go running after him... I hate having NE's left overs on our roster while they are out getting big time names like Moss and A.Thomas. Both may be overrated but at the same time they are much better than Kassell and the Chatmans of the NFL.

I am a big Schlegel fan and after reading Mangini's post game comments about Schlegel's performance in which all he said was "yeah, he got a lot of reps" I think Schlegel will be cut.

He will be a wasted pick by the Jets, not because he cant play, but because they drafted him and then never gave him a chance to play.

I still find it hard to believe that the Jets feel that Kassell is a better option. But, aparantly they do.

I am a big Schlegel fan and after reading Mangini's post game comments about Schlegel's performance in which all he said was "yeah, he got a lot of reps" I think Schlegel will be cut.

He will be a wasted pick by the Jets, not because he cant play, but because they drafted him and then never gave him a chance to play.

I still find it hard to believe that the Jets feel that Kassell is a better option. But, aparantly they do.

Neither should be on the team, but the boar hunter should be cut first. I've been watching these preseason games pretty closely and you can see which guys belong and which guys don't. It's not that hard. Schlegel is simply not an NFL player and it's painfully obvious.

Never been a Schlegel fan, even when he was at OSU. Heck, there were better Buckeyes left on the board when he was drafted. I hope they cut him just to show that they don't play favorites, even with their own mistakes.

Is that Walter Solchak in your avatar pic?

"Smokey my friend you're entering a world of pain"

Why do you think they didnt give Schlegel a chance to play? And why are they giving Harris so much chance to play? I think its because Schlegel didnt prove his muster in practice while Harris seems to have played his way into the rotation. IMO.

If Schlegel could make an impact on special teams he would have a better chance of sticking around. I haven't seen it though.

Schlegel and Kassel have both been playing on the wedge on KO returns, which has been a successful unit.

If either of them stick, it will be because of Westhoff's vote.

Schlegel and Kassel have both been playing on the wedge on KO returns, which has been a successful unit.

If either of them stick, it will be because of Westhoff's vote.

If it comes to that, I would think that they would keep Schlegel. Kassel is just a warm body who has already hit his plateau at mediocrity, and hopefully Schlegel is just a late bloomer. He was around the ball last night (yes, against scrubs) and was at least noticeable for once.

If it comes to that, I would think that they would keep Schlegel. Kassel is just a warm body who has already hit his plateau at mediocrity, and hopefully Schlegel is just a late bloomer. He was around the ball last night (yes, against scrubs) and was at least noticeable for once.

Another advantage Schlegal has that gibbon will like (I see him lurking as i type this, LOL) is that Schlegal was entrusted with calling defensive signals for the third unit in tc. But last night I thought I saw Kassel calling the D signals, so that may end up being a wash.

Another advantage Schlegal has that gibbon will like (I see him lurking as i type this, LOL) is that Schlegal was entrusted with calling defensive signals for the third unit in tc. But last night I thought I saw Kassel calling the D signals, so that may end up being a wash.

I saw Schlegel calling some signals last night also, but I'm not sure what to take from that.

he could have Gerald Sowell syndrome-a guy who finally gets a chance and when he does screws the pooch thus inserting him in the proverbial (and perpetual) doghouse...the good news for AS is that his mistakes last year were made by being TOO agressive-coaches don't hate that too much

I saw Schlegel calling some signals last night also, but I'm not sure what to take from that.

Probably things we cant see, that the coaches will know and see on gametapes. If they think a guy is doing a good job moving the pieces around before the snap, it cant hurt his chances.

The LB spot is going to be a tough decision. So will TE, where either Pociask or Kowalewski might be chopped, though both might be PS eligible.

Probably things we cant see, that the coaches will know and see on gametapes. If they think a guy is doing a good job moving the pieces around before the snap, it cant hurt his chances.

The LB spot is going to be a tough decision. So will TE, where either Pociask or Kowalewski might be chopped, though both might be PS eligible.

Pociask hasn't really shown too much since he arrived-last year was wash and although he did catch a few passes this summer I can't see him son the opening day squad. Kowalewski can catch the ball I like that about him-I'm curious to see what your 53 man roster thread says JC-I'm going there next...

Pociask hasn't really shown too much since he arrived-last year was wash and although he did catch a few passes this summer I can't see him son the opening day squad. Kowalewski can catch the ball I like that about him-I'm curious to see what your 53 man roster thread says JC-I'm going there next...

I think all things being equal the Jets would prefer a blocker to a pass catcher as the third TE. They have more pass cathcers on the roster than they do solid blockers. IMO.

Why do you think they didnt give Schlegel a chance to play? And why are they giving Harris so much chance to play? I think its because Schlegel didnt prove his muster in practice while Harris seems to have played his way into the rotation. IMO.

Strictly my opinion.

I think Schlegel would have been given a chance to play this season if Harris hadnt been drafted. When Harris fell to where they move up and get him the Jets grabbed him. This doomed Schlegel, without any competition. Harris was anointed as a #2 and there was precious little competition for the spot -- this happened with Kassell as well.

The Jets drafted a guy they had rated as a 1st rounder and because of that gave him as many opportunities as possible to play with the 1s and be the first ILB off the bench. That happens with high draft picks. They are expected to come in and play right away. The only thing that irks me about it is the continued pretense that there is open competition for all the spots. This is bald faced lie -- and not just in this situation.

Contract wise I'll be interested to see what the Jets do next season (and during this season) when Barton and Kassell's contracts come to an end after this season, if Schlegel gets cut, which I think he will.

he could have Gerald Sowell syndrome-a guy who finally gets a chance and when he does screws the pooch thus inserting him in the proverbial (and perpetual) doghouse...the good news for AS is that his mistakes last year were made by being TOO agressive-coaches don't hate that too much

What do you mean by that sfj? Sowell was great when he got his shot. I'd love to have him or Richie Anderson back on the team, or did i misunderstand?

Strictly my opinion.

I think Schlegel would have been given a chance to play this season if Harris hadnt been drafted. When Harris fell to where they move up and get him the Jets grabbed him. This doomed Schlegel, without any competition. Harris was anointed as a #2 and there was precious little competition for the spot -- this happened with Kassell as well.

The Jets drafted a guy they had rated as a 1st rounder and because of that gave him as many opportunities as possible to play with the 1s and be the first ILB off the bench. That happens with high draft picks. They are expected to come in and play right away. The only thing that irks me about it is the continued pretense that there is open competition for all the spots. This is bald faced lie -- and not just in this situation.

Contract wise I'll be interested to see what the Jets do next season (and during this season) when Barton and Kassell's contracts come to an end after this season, if Schlegel gets cut, which I think he will.

I'm in total agreement with you on the competition aspect. It may not be a

bold face lie but I think everyone knows that when training camp opens

that there is already a first string team on both o and d.

You can't tell me for instance that for example Mangini threw all the centers

names into a hat the first day and the name he picked out started on the first

team. You know its Mangold and everyone else fights for the backup.

The only thing that changes if there are players they are not sure about so

there may be some competition and there are always injuries that cause

changes.

As an example would Danny Ware make the roster if Cedric didn't quit and

Jones didn't get injured?

Archived