http://www.jetnation.com/?p=1081

Week Two Report Card

Posted at 8:19 pm in Joe Grinwis, Jets Report Card by Max

jets-report-card.gif

Jets - 13, Ravens - 20

by Joe Grinwis

Quarterback - B+

Clemens - 19-37, 260 yards, TD, 2 INT

Clemens’ lone mistake, an INT in the first quarter, was caused because of a slip and fall by Laveranues Coles. The other INT? A ball Justin McDrops should’ve caught but instead had go right through his hands. Kellen led this team in the 2nd half so close to tying this game, but McDrops sealed his fate with two dropped balls that would’ve been touchdowns. What a first career NFL start, in Baltimore, for young Mr.Clemens.

Running Back - C

Jones - 24 carries, 67 yards

A fumble by Jones almost proved costly to the Jets but Nick Mangold recovered. Either way, Jones ran aggressively and made a few nice runs. However, he must improve in his run blocking because there were a few times where he did not help out Clemens in passing situations. Leon Washington appears to be the better pass blocking back.

Wide Receiver - B+

Cotchery - 7 receptions, 165 yards

Coles - 6 receptions, 57 yards

Jerricho Cotchery had a huge day helping Kellen Clemens in the 2nd half and Laveranues Coles made a few nice, big play receptions as well. Justin McDrops had two huge drops inside the final two minutes and sealed the Jets’ fate. The man should not see the football field next week at home against Miami.

Tight End - C

Baker - 1 reception, 3 yards

Only one grab from Baker, all be a touchdon reception, but for the rest of the game his play was up and down. For the majority of the game Baker was kept in to block and he did not have one of his strongest days in pass protection.

Offensive Line - D-

Clemens was sacked four times and was pressured throughout the game. The line and backs had no idea where the Ravens were coming from and D’Brickashaw Ferguson again had a shaky game. The run blocking wasn’t any better as Thomas Jones was held to just 67 yards on 24 carries.

Defensive Line - D+

The DLine played better than last week in helping to tie up more blockers for the linebackers to blitz in. However, it still wasn’t enough for the Jets to generate a sack, keeping their season number at 0. However, the line did help keep Willis McGahee under 100 yards, so that’s a good note.

Linebackers - B-

No sacks from this unit but much more pressure than last week and Jonathan Vilma actually made a couple of stops. Bryan Thomas was all over the field today and with that at least one former 1st round pick is succeeding in this defense.

Secondary - B-

Average day. Darrelle Revis and Kerry Rhodes played very well and David Barrett once again looked like a Division 1-AA Cornerback on an NFL field. You can’t fault the secondary for the lack of pressure on Kyle Boller like the Jets had, so this unit gets a better grade than they should.

Special Teams - A-

Mike Nugent was 2-3 on Field Goal Attempts with his one miss being from 52 yards out with plenty of distance. Again, great kickoffs from Nugent as well as an onside kick that should’ve been recovered by Brad Smith. Also, The Nuge helped stop a kickoff return for a score by Yamon Figurs. Ben Graham punted well minus one 33-yard punt and no touchdowns were let up on Special Teams this week.

Coaching - B+

Too much running in my opinion, but the play calling down the stretch in the 4th quarter was excellent. The Jets were pretty much forced to throw the ball in the 4th quarter after being down 20-3 with 10:05 to play, but Kellen Clemens stood up and almost brought the Jets all the way back. The coaching staff has to be comfortable if Chad Pennington is not able to play next week or at any point in the future.

Goat of the game: Justin McDrops (McCareins)

Star of the game: Jerricho Cotchery

Good write up but Kellen had 3 blatant mistakes as he missed JMAC early for a TD as well as Coles in the final minutes. He also on at least one sack had a wide open receiver in the flat but never looked off his initial target.

Overall a tale of 2 halfs and hopefully what we saw in the 4th qtr is a sign of things to come.

I'm excited.

I think it was Clarke that recovered the fumble....

Saying Rhodes played excellent is a little bit of a stretch...that blown coverage on heap was huge.

The seconday getting anything above a C is bad considering DAVID BARRET IS A PART OF THE SECONDARY...

I think the last quarter of the game made a lot of people forget about the first 3

Special Teams is definitely worse than a A-.

Just add it up, one miss fg (I'm a Nugent Homer wearing my #1 Jersey today too)

Two deep returns (one needed Nugent to come to the rescue). You shouldn't be applauding the tackle, but coming down hard on why he needed to even do it.

Nothing special in our return game.

I believe it was Smith who let a punter just catch the ball and run right by him for a 15 yd. gain. It was as he thought that the guy was going to fair catch it.

Today was more of a B- to a B than an A-.

Defensive line couldn't have been that bad, they held McGahee to less yards than normal. C- ish at best mostly for the lack of pressure and no sacks.

Otherwise fair analysis.

Good write up but Kellen had 3 blatant mistakes as he missed JMAC early for a TD as well as Coles in the final minutes. He also on at least one sack had a wide open receiver in the flat but never looked off his initial target.

Overall a tale of 2 halfs and hopefully what we saw in the 4th qtr is a sign of things to come.

I'm excited.

McDrops stopped running on that play. It wasn't a great pass, but again it was another short arm/give up, which has been McDrop's trademark with the Jets.

Rhodes didn't do anything until the 3rd when they started bringing him up to the line consistently. I feel bad for Bryan Thomas, he's the only guy who can get a resemblance of a pass rush and everyone knows it. As long as he's blocked the offense gets 20 minutes to throw the ball.

ummm...pass.

Hm. I guess I forgot to say, no analysis from my "haters" on this board.

I will be willing to back-up any of my grades.

For the A- on Special Teams, the one long return was brought back for a penalty, since I believe you're talking about Reed's punt return.

I was see-sawing between a B+ and A-, and I went A-.

For the A- on Special Teams, the one long return was brought back for a penalty, since I believe you're talking about Reed's punt return.

Hey if you didn't have haters that would mean your weren't doing your job! :P

Hey if you didn't have haters that would mean your weren't doing your job! :P

Indeed. And if I end up doing what I want to do, I'm sure I'll always have emails in my box full of complains and complements like all the beat writers.:P

Hey, the FG miss was from 52, not from 32. I know, a miss is a miss, but that had plenty of distance and was not a chip shot. I don't think that should lower the grade too much, if at all, do you?

I don't penalize a kicker for a 52 yard miss.

He save a td on a tackle and his kickoffs have been great. Plus his onside kick was very good.

If he was coming out now he would be a 2nd round pick! :P

I don't penalize a kicker for a 52 yard miss.

He save a td on a tackle and his kickoffs have been great. Plus his onside kick was very good.

If he was coming out now he would be a 2nd round pick! :P

Exactly. This is why the grade was an A- and not a B+.

Clarke recovered TJ's fumble...not Mangold.

Special Teams - A-

Mike Nugent was 2-3 on Field Goal Attempts with his one miss being from 52 yards out with plenty of distance. Again, great kickoffs from Nugent as well as an onside kick that should’ve been recovered by Brad Smith. Also, The Nuge helped stop a kickoff return for a score by Yamon Figurs. Ben Graham punted well minus one 33-yard punt and no touchdowns were let up on Special Teams this week.

For starters, the ST were pretty mediocre against the Ravens. Not allowing a TD on ST is not something to brag about. They allowed a 60 yard KO return that ended up costing 3 points. The fact that your hero threw himself at the return man and a blocker does not minimize the poor coverage on that play.

The last time I looked, brad Smith was part of the ST, and he allowed an onside kick to bounce off his chest- a crucial play at the time.

Here is someone else's ST report card from another board:

SPECIAL TEAMS

Cant blame nuge for the 53 yard miss. Other then that he was solid. Our return defense got burned a few times, and our return offense was at a loss without Miller. Need to see improvement C+

Here is yet another from a different poster:

Special Teams: D+

Graham didn't have a great day kicking, the return unit was a complete non-factor, and there was a breakdown on one of the kickoffs. Nugent had a solid game though, going 2/3, with his only miss being from 53 and going 1/1 from XP. Graham hasn't lived up to his reputation in the last few games.

This is from a post of a guy who was in the stadium yesterday:

Our special teams stink. They’ve been absolutely putrid. People can say what they want about the offense or the defense, but thus far our special teams have been the worst unit on the team, which is not only disappointing, but completely surprising as well.

Do you see a trend here?

----------

Jet KO return average- 18 yds per.

One PR for 6 yards.

Raven KO returns: 2 for 89 yds.

The Jets STs werent close to an A- unless you are giving brownie points for your Nuge man love. A little more objectivity in the future would be appreciated.

:confused0085:

There's no need to pick at the other grades, but suffice to say that 3 passes werent held on to by WRs on the final drive, so I wouldnt get too carried away with them either, gradewise.

---------------------------

:word:

Ben Graham had only one bad punt so I don't see where that poster comes up with that garbage. Also, Justin Miller was out for the majority of the game so what were you expecting on Kick Returns? As for PR's, Corey Ivy is just insane getting down there. He and David Tyree are the best at forcing return men to fair catch the ball and are also the best at downing the ball inside the 10.

GRADING THE JETS

TOM ROCK

SPECIAL TEAMS

C- The good news is that no one set an NFL record for the longest kickoff return this week. Still, the coverage on the kickoffs is leaving something to be desired, even with coordinator Mike Westhoff on the sideline this time. Yamon Figurs had a 61-yarder foiled only by Mike Nugent's daredevil leap into a block near midfield. Nugent's consecutive FG streak ended at 19 with a 52-yard miss. And an onside kick failed when Brad Smith was unable to come up with the ball along the right sideline.

------------

So far no one else I have read is even close to the grade you gave STs.

And did you forget Wallace Wright almost interfering with the punt return and then forgetting to tackle the PR?

The blocker who pushed Ed Reed into Graham wasnt looking too good either.

C-

GRADING THE JETS

TOM ROCK

SPECIAL TEAMS

C- The good news is that no one set an NFL record for the longest kickoff return this week. Still, the coverage on the kickoffs is leaving something to be desired, even with coordinator Mike Westhoff on the sideline this time. Yamon Figurs had a 61-yarder foiled only by Mike Nugent's daredevil leap into a block near midfield. Nugent's consecutive FG streak ended at 19 with a 52-yard miss. And an onside kick failed when Brad Smith was unable to come up with the ball along the right sideline.

------------

So far no one else I have read is even close to the grade you gave STs.

And did you forget Wallace Wright almost interfering with the punt return and then forgetting to tackle the PR?

The blocker who pushed Ed Reed into Graham wasnt looking too good either.

C-

Wallace Wright was in the right place at the right time but missed the tackle by not having his head in the game.

I still stand with my grade of a B+ / A-. I cannot drop a unit to a C- or D for one 61 yard return and a 52 yard missed Field Goal. I just can't. Maybe I shold've went with the B+ over the A-, but I can't count the 52 yard miss against Nugent. Most kickers do not make that kick and at least he had plenty of distance on it.

Wallace Wright was in the right place at the right time but missed the tackle by not having his head in the game.

I still stand with my grade of a B+ / A-. I cannot drop a unit to a C- or D for one 61 yard return and a 52 yard missed Field Goal. I just can't. Maybe I shold've went with the B+ over the A-, but I can't count the 52 yard miss against Nugent. Most kickers do not make that kick and at least he had plenty of distance on it.

I dont care if you change it or not (like you wanted to change your ridiculous OL grade last week, but Max wouldnt let you, LOL).

It's bad grading to think the STs were worthy of a B+ or A- yesterday, imo.

I dont care if you change it or not (like you wanted to change your ridiculous OL grade last week, but Max wouldnt let you, LOL).

It's bad grading to think the STs were worthy of a B+ or A- yesterday, imo.

The OL grade of a C was ridiculous? I did want to change it, but not by far.

This is a grade I do not want to change and stand by. I had B+ or A- in mind and I went with A- and I stand with going with one of the two, and I just so happened to pick A-.

Once again, a 61 yard KO return and 52 yard missed field goal to not deserve a C- which is what the previous writer made his grade on. I noted Brad Smith's missed catch, but you also have to give credit on that play for Nuge making a solid kick, so there is good and bad on that play. More good IMO because it was a tough grab to make for anyone.

Rock mentioned that your hero missed a FG, but that didnt seem to account for his grade. What about all the other ST gaffes that were pointed out by various writers I posted?

Since you have an unquenchable crush on Nuge, maybe you should grade him separately from the rest of the STs in the future.

Archived