The Jets defense has multiple issues, etc.

JetCane

"Success now, or bust" seems to be the name of the game for many of you guys. Nine times out of ten, that kind of gamble will result in a bust.

If the coaches/management is serious about changing to the 3-4 then they should stick to it. Changing a defensive system isn't like changing your underware. It take some work. If anything, I was hoping they would be more ruthless in making the change.

"Get rid of players who don't fit, and commit, dammit!" is my new rallying call.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It didn't really happen on blitzes, it was more missed tackles. On the 43 yarder Bryan Thomas and I believe Victor Hobson were the 2 who missed Brown way back towards the line of scrimmage.

Thanks for letting me know. I doubt ESPN will start running those clips now. It's Wednesday already. My pass rush, I didn't mean blitz so much as mindlessly running up field ala Gastineau or Freeny, but same difference.

I agree with all this. I don't see an advantage to switching back to base 4-3 this season, but I don't give Mangini/Sutton a pass for anything. Maybe a longer leash than some, but not a pass.

Interesting. Like I said, I didn't get to see anything but highlights from the Miami game, but getting beat on screens is generally caused by overexuberant pass rush, and fired up over pursuit. Considering how many complaints have been for lack of fire and not pinning their ears back and going after the ball, this seems inconsistent. As 'cane suggested in another thread, some of this may have come from the rookie Harris missing an assignment, but a team on it's heels waiting to react doesn't usually get suckered by screens.

I know you said you didnt see the game, but the fact is that at least two of the screens came against the nickel, and there were just two LBs in. It wasnt an all out rush as much as there was poor prep for recognizing the screens. NOW they said they will have to do a better job preparing for it this week. These are CS issues as much as anything else.

As far as your other post regarding points/yardage, this is what Rock said in his column:

In 2005, Mangini's only year as a defensive coordinator, the Patriots' defense went back to giving up big yardage, allowing 330.2 per game, 26th most. That year, they also allowed 21.1 points per game, 17th most.

It's ludicrous to totally discount the relationship between yardage allowed and points scored. Are there anomalies? Sure. Are there teams that can bend but not break? Absolutely. Can some teams gear up when it counts the most, compensate for big plays with their own big plays, count on their offense to cover up defensive deficiencies? Yes.

Are the Jets one of those teams? No.

The Jets' defense is ranked 28th in yardage after three weeks ... and 27th in scoring. They've allowed a 47.3-percent third-down conversion rate, which ranks 25th. Teams have had 10 possessions inside the 20 against the Jets and scored seven touchdowns, with three field goals.

However you break it down, the Jets have a bottom-third defense. And bottom-third defenses don't win playoff games. They certainly don't win championships.

It's ludicrous to totally discount the relationship between yardage allowed and points scored. Are there anomalies? Sure. Are there teams that can bend but not break? Absolutely. Can some teams gear up when it counts the most, compensate for big plays with their own big plays, count on their offense to cover up defensive deficiencies? Yes.

...but they were last year?

It's the same defense with a first and second rounder added and an upgrade at DE.

...but they were last year?

It's the same defense with a first and second rounder added and an upgrade at DE.

The defense played much better after the bye week last year, up until the playoff game.

So, if there have been upgrades with Kenyon and Revis and Harris, and now they are in year two of the transition, why is the unit ranked 27th?

Why are they sucking?

I think a large part of it has to fall on the shoulders of the CS/DC which is not creating the best matchups and defensive playcalling for the players they are putting on the field.

The defense played much better after the bye week last year, up until the playoff game.

So, if there have been upgrades with Kenyon and Revis and Harris, and now they are in year two of the transition, why is the unit ranked 27th?

Why are they sucking?

I think a large part of it has to fall on the shoulders of the CS/DC which is not creating the best matchups and defensive playcalling for the players they are putting on the field.

Agreed. That and running into two of the top four or five teams in the AFC and probably the league in the first three weeks.

You know that those yardage numbers can get skewed with a run-defense that keeps giving up first downs. 2005 our defense was not anything close to 12th-best in the NFL (actually 11th-fewest). They gave up the 11th-fewest yards b/c teams didn't pass against a team that (a) couldn't stop the run, (B) has no running game to even sustain moderate drives when they do not score, and © simply don't put any points on the board. They ranked that high b/c the 3rd-fewest pass attempts were made against the Jets. Who were #'s 1 and 2? The 3-13 Saints (#1) and the 4-12 Packers (#2).

I have no argument for our defense sucking right now, but suggesting that the defense was better in 2005 simply b/c of the 4-3 is inaccurate.

Your article was excellent, though. Sutton (and Mangini) get too much of a free ride for stubbornly sticking with a system that is missing arguably the 2 most important components. Revis is going to be great, but he covers one receiver; sadly, a solid NT with Hank Poteat starting in Revis' place would have made this a better defense. My big complaint is not the acquisition of a true NT (with some actual ability), but rather the total lack of pursuit of any player - even an over-the-hill one like Ted Washington or Sam Adams - fitting this physical mold.

You know that those yardage numbers can get skewed with a run-defense that keeps giving up first downs. 2005 our defense was not anything close to 12th-best in the NFL (actually 11th-fewest). They gave up the 11th-fewest yards b/c teams didn't pass against a team that (a) couldn't stop the run, (B) has no running game to even sustain moderate drives when they do not score, and © simply don't put any points on the board. They ranked that high b/c the 3rd-fewest pass attempts were made against the Jets. Who were #'s 1 and 2? The 3-13 Saints (#1) and the 4-12 Packers (#2).

I have no argument for our defense sucking right now, but suggesting that the defense was better in 2005 simply b/c of the 4-3 is inaccurate.

Point taken.

Your article was excellent, though. Sutton (and Mangini) get too much of a free ride for stubbornly sticking with a system that is missing arguably the 2 most important components.

Thanks.

I know you said you didnt see the game, but the fact is that at least two of the screens came against the nickel, and there were just two LBs in. It wasnt an all out rush as much as there was poor prep for recognizing the screens. NOW they said they will have to do a better job preparing for it this week. These are CS issues as much as anything else.

As far as your other post regarding points/yardage, this is what Rock said in his column:

In 2005, Mangini's only year as a defensive coordinator, the Patriots' defense went back to giving up big yardage, allowing 330.2 per game, 26th most. That year, they also allowed 21.1 points per game, 17th most.

The Jets' defense is ranked 28th in yardage after three weeks ... and 27th in scoring. They've allowed a 47.3-percent third-down conversion rate, which ranks 25th. Teams have had 10 possessions inside the 20 against the Jets and scored seven touchdowns, with three field goals.

However you break it down, the Jets have a bottom-third defense. And bottom-third defenses don't win playoff games. They certainly don't win championships.

The problem with a bend but dont break defensive philosophy (which I think is a part of the CS's problem) is that you need an offensive that can consistently score TDs instead of FGs (you put up 7 and they put up 3 you win). Our offense while dangerous isnt that consistent in terms of scoring touchdowns. This makes our D philosophy more dangerous than it was for the Pats, but might account for the disparity between the yds yielded vs. the points allowed.

We have the guys on the line to run an effective 4-3 including the linebackers for the outside containment. As far as I am concerned, we don't have the players to do a 3-4 (especially at the linebacker positions). Man-GENUIS-NOT, needs to swallow some pride and go to the 4-3. I think we will all give him a "that-a-boy" if he does that.

We have the guys on the line to run an effective 4-3 including the linebackers for the outside containment. As far as I am concerned, we don't have the players to do a 3-4 (especially at the linebacker positions). Man-GENUIS-NOT, needs to swallow some pride and go to the 4-3. I think we will all give him a "that-a-boy" if he does that.

Then what do you do with Harris? Put him at SSLB?

I still dont see this team with a pass rush in the 4-3. Ellis and Thomas arent good enough DEs to warrant a switch to the 4-3. And if you arent getting any rush from your 4-3 DEs, its a terrible defense.

At this point, I think its too late to switch back to the 4-3. We signed Kenyon Coleman and drafted David Harris for a reason - we are a 3-4 defense.

Here's something i came across along the way.

Ian Gold is playing OLB for Denver and is smaller than Vilma.

Ian Gold 6' 0" 223 3G 15T 3A 18T

Although at this point, i think they see Harris and Vilma as the ILBs in the immediate future, and may not be toying with the idea of switching Vilma to OLB.

regarding nose tackles

everyone loves to talk about how Mangini has 'neglected' the position by not being able to land a ted washington type of NT

meanwhile there are exactly 5 or 6 such players in the league at any given time. right now i count V Wilfork, J Williams, C Hampton, P Williams, H Ngata, T Washington... and who else? you could include Sam Adams but he sucks now.

where is Mangini gonna find a huge dominant NT? there is no one available!

people don't want to think about the reality they just want to gripe about the problems.

regarding nose tackles

everyone loves to talk about how Mangini has 'neglected' the position by not being able to land a ted washington type of NT

meanwhile there are exactly 5 or 6 such players in the league at any given time. right now i count V Wilfork, J Williams, C Hampton, P Williams, H Ngata, T Washington... and who else? you could include Sam Adams but he sucks now.

people don't want to think about the reality they just want to gripe about the problems.

Mangini, doesn't want a 330 pound lard ass plugging the middle. He's said over and over that he likes the more athletic type like DRob.

Mangini, doesn't want a 330 pound lard ass plugging the middle. He's said over and over that he likes the more athletic type like DRob.

every coach wants a man-giant playing NT, whether they say so or onot

my point is they work with what they have and there simply aren't any options out there.

regarding nose tackles

If you're referring to Sperm Edwards' post, I think he was more disappointed in the lack of EFFORT towards going after these players. Sam Adams was released and available during the offseason, yet there was no move to acquire him.

You just got the sense that the Jets were going to stick with Robertson no matter what. Maybe they figured they had invested too much in him (like Vilma) and felt that they should honor the sunken cost? We certainly had the money to go after a NT HAD WE WANTED to.

If you're referring to Sperm Edwards' post, I think he was more disappointed in the lack of EFFORT towards going after these players. Sam Adams was released and available during the offseason, yet there was no move to acquire him.

You just got the sense that the Jets were going to stick with Robertson no matter what. Maybe they figured they had invested too much in him (like Vilma) and felt that they should honor the sunken cost? We certainly had the money to go after a NT HAD WE WANTED to.

Not going after a replacement for DRob doesn't bother me too much, it's not going after a solid backup/rotation guy that kills me. It seems wrong to simply count on Pouha without even bringing in any competition. Last year we could at least pretend they were counting on Monsanto Pope to provide that competition/rotation.

regarding nose tackles

but we got our butcher with a bowling bowl

i think Urkel would have more tackles to date

This is precisely my point. Mangini seemed all big on open competition at multiple positions (LT, C, QB, CB, S, HB off the top of my head). But the cornerstone position of a 3-4 defense included no competition from anyone who either had played the position in the NFL or - at the VERY least - fit the physical mold.

Another one they made no offer at was Kemoeatu. Also Grady Jackson

I'm not saying they should have signed any specific one of them. My issue was with bringing in exactly zero of them for a look-see or some actual competition for DRob.

bit, Mangini had his chance to select Haloti Ngata. He chose not to. He had his chance.

I'm not fully sold on Ngata being able to do all the things people here expect an NT to provide. He might, but he might wilt if asked to do everything posters at JN expect. Keeping your midget ILB's jersey clean against a center and two guards can be a real bitch. He would have been awesome to have, but there are other considerations:

DRob was here and cap wise we couldn't cut him last year. That means he's on the team and picking Ngata in the first would mean a ton of money at one position. Last year's cap was much more restrictive and we were right up against it. I don't think Mangini's D would look to play them in tandem.

Remember that we we were (and still are) thin at OLine. We had Adrian Jones and Clement at OT. I don't know about you, but I'd much rather go into the season with DRob, Brick and Clement/Jones then Ngata, Clement and Jones with DRob coming off the bench.

As others have stated, trade partners might not have been that easy to find. D'Brick was premium prospect. Ngata was in the next tier. Ngata might have been a better fit, but he'd have been a reach at #4 and I'm not sure we would have gotten much value to trade down. If we couldn't find a trading partner to give at least a high second for a 9-12 pick it wouldn't be worth making the deal. I know some people see Brick as a future bust/mediocre pro (you know who you are Peter North!) and Ngata as a dominating DT, but Brick seemed fine to me last year. Maybe he'll be the next Irv Eatman instead of the next Anthony Munoz, but I think he's a long way from a bust. I haven't watched enough Raven or college games to have any idea how dominant Ngata would be without the rest of those savages around him.

I'm fully convinced that if the Jets dropped down to 10 they'd have taken Cutler, not Ngata. Then they wouldn't have traded up for Clemens and would have still needed line help.

Hey Jetcane do you write for the Star Ledger?

Originally Posted by StarLedger

UNDER THE MICROSCOPE

Defensive coordinator Bob Sutton is on the hot seat. His, er Eric Mangini's, defense has been an embarrassment, ranking 28th in the NFL and allowing 386 yards per game. Sutton could pay with his job. The Jets have yet to surprise an opponent with a clever scheme and have been repeatedly caught off guard (i.e. screen passes by the Dolphins).

http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/inde...l=1&thispage=2

Hey Jetcane do you write for the Star Ledger?

Originally Posted by StarLedger

UNDER THE MICROSCOPE

Defensive coordinator Bob Sutton is on the hot seat. His, er Eric Mangini's, defense has been an embarrassment, ranking 28th in the NFL and allowing 386 yards per game. Sutton could pay with his job. The Jets have yet to surprise an opponent with a clever scheme and have been repeatedly caught off guard (i.e. screen passes by the Dolphins).

http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/inde...l=1&thispage=2

No I dont, LOL, but maybe the Star Ledger reads JN.

:)

I'm not fully sold on Ngata being able to do all the things people here expect an NT to provide. He might, but he might wilt if asked to do everything posters at JN expect. Keeping your midget ILB's jersey clean against a center and two guards can be a real bitch. He would have been awesome to have, but there are other considerations:

DRob was here and cap wise we couldn't cut him last year. That means he's on the team and picking Ngata in the first would mean a ton of money at one position. Last year's cap was much more restrictive and we were right up against it. I don't think Mangini's D would look to play them in tandem.

Remember that we we were (and still are) thin at OLine. We had Adrian Jones and Clement at OT. I don't know about you, but I'd much rather go into the season with DRob, Brick and Clement/Jones then Ngata, Clement and Jones with DRob coming off the bench.

As others have stated, trade partners might not have been that easy to find. D'Brick was premium prospect. Ngata was in the next tier. Ngata might have been a better fit, but he'd have been a reach at #4 and I'm not sure we would have gotten much value to trade down. If we couldn't find a trading partner to give at least a high second for a 9-12 pick it wouldn't be worth making the deal. I know some people see Brick as a future bust/mediocre pro (you know who you are Peter North!) and Ngata as a dominating DT, but Brick seemed fine to me last year. Maybe he'll be the next Irv Eatman instead of the next Anthony Munoz, but I think he's a long way from a bust. I haven't watched enough Raven or college games to have any idea how dominant Ngata would be without the rest of those savages around him.

I'm fully convinced that if the Jets dropped down to 10 they'd have taken Cutler, not Ngata. Then they wouldn't have traded up for Clemens and would have still needed line help.

At the start of the draft Ngata was not a reach at #4, though it's easy to think so since he dropped to like #12. The very latest he was expected to go was to Buffalo who I think picked like 8th. But then no one expected two of the "big 3" QB's to get past both the Jets and the Raiders.

The Jets defense has multiple issues, like lettin' Ronnie Brown get over 200 yards and 3 TD's on Sunday.

what did you think of the game? I thought the fins D would slow down, but this is ridiculous, they don't seem to play with enough fire anymore. IDK, looks like it may be a rough year for the three non-cheating teams in the East.

At the start of the draft Ngata was not a reach at #4, though it's easy to think so since he dropped to like #12. The very latest he was expected to go was to Buffalo who I think picked like 8th. But then no one expected two of the "big 3" QB's to get past both the Jets and the Raiders.

Eh. Reach seems a little harsh. I don't mean Ted Ginn going 9th, I mean an 8-15 prospect going 4. I don't think anybody thought Ngata was one of the top 5 prospects, but then plenty of people had Leinart being gone in that group. IMO, it would have been a shame to take him 4 and not get something back. We have to remember that coming off of 2005 the Jets O was way behind the Jets D. We had no idea at qb, we were counting on a an old gimp RB for 1,500 yards and our line was in a shambles. Sperm is 100% right that the OT class was deep and NT class near nonexistent, but we really needed O. IMO, even if they were reaching they would have gone for Cutler who I think they liked more than Leinart and Young, if the papers were any indication.

Eh. Reach seems a little harsh. I don't mean Ted Ginn going 9th, I mean an 8-15 prospect going 4. I don't think anybody thought Ngata was one of the top 5 prospects, but then plenty of people had Leinart being gone in that group. IMO, it would have been a shame to take him 4 and not get something back. We have to remember that coming off of 2005 the Jets O was way behind the Jets D. We had no idea at qb, we were counting on a an old gimp RB for 1,500 yards and our line was in a shambles. Sperm is 100% right that the OT class was deep and NT class near nonexistent, but we really needed O. IMO, even if they were reaching they would have gone for Cutler who I think they liked more than Leinart and Young, if the papers were any indication.

I do remember him being one of those elite prospects; as much as Young was. Many expected Young to go to Oakland at #7 or Arizona at #10. Being a big-time college player doesn't mean he was expected to go top-3. Most expected Leinart and Bush and Mario to all go before Young, plus most mocks I saw had him also rated below Hawk, Huff, and maybe Vernon Davis & Ngata. A couple of late (non-bs) mocks/"experts" said they wouldn't be surprised if Young fell to like 20+ just like Brady Quinn did 5 months ago.

Ngata was expected to go at #8 to Buffalo at the very latest in pretty much every mock draft I saw (for whatever online mock drafts are worth). Some had him going higher. I'd say he was considered an elite prospect even in the 2006 draft.

And re Cutler, if I remember right they supposedly the Jets spent more time with Cutler than Leinart & Young combined & also more time than they spent with Clemens.

I do remember him being one of those elite prospects; as much as Young was. Many expected Young to go to Oakland at #7 or Arizona at #10. Being a big-time college player doesn't mean he was expected to go top-3. Most expected Leinart and Bush and Mario to all go before Young, plus most mocks I saw had him also rated below Hawk, Huff, and maybe Vernon Davis & Ngata. A couple of late (non-bs) mocks/"experts" said they wouldn't be surprised if Young fell to like 20+ just like Brady Quinn did 5 months ago.

Ngata was expected to go at #8 to Buffalo at the very latest in pretty much every mock draft I saw (for whatever online mock drafts are worth). Some had him going higher. I'd say he was considered an elite prospect even in the 2006 draft.

And re Cutler, if I remember right they supposedly the Jets spent more time with Cutler than Leinart & Young combined & also more time than they spent with Clemens.

Agreed. I would have expected Young to be the "elite" prospect to drop. In my mind, there was a line of demarcation between Brick as a prospect and Ngata and Vernon Davis. Doesn't mean too much, I'm not an actual scout and reading the idiots in the paper and online is no surefire way to judge. Elite prospect is a relative term. They were all expected to go top half, but Brick was a lock top five, Ngata was not. Was that only because people knew the Jets need for an OT? Not sure. The papers were so sure the Jets were going to pick Brick I thought it might be a smokescreen to move down and/or take a qb.

From what I read, the Jets were frantically trying to move back up to get Cutler. I never heard a peep about them wanting Clemens until after the draft. OTOH, you can't always beleive what you read and from what I hear a huge percentage of teams don't pick the guys they have extra interview time with.

Thank you Jetcane for making official what was painfully obvious. I wish you went back further. We've always HAD a good defense, until the last two years. Maybe we have to start pointing the finger at Sutton!

I mean, our defense is the 500lb Gorilla in the room that nobody wants to talk about. We want to talk Chad Pennington. The offense is fine.

This defense is horribly terrible. Marshawn Lynch 100 yards guaranteed.

Thank you Jetcane for making official what was painfully obvious. I wish you went back further. We've always HAD a good defense, until the last two years. Maybe we have to start pointing the finger at Sutton!

I mean, our defense is the 500lb Gorilla in the room that nobody wants to talk about. We want to talk Chad Pennington. The offense is fine.

Sixth in points allowed for 2006. Is that good enough for you?

I dont know if the stats back up that the Jets always had a great D, even going back to 2000.

But one of the major points I was trying to make is that there has not been any innovation or creativity with the personnel, schemes and playcalling on the defensive side of the ball.

On offense, there has been some variation. They keep the TE in to help block.

They design a gameplan around the talent they have. They try to get some of the better players inviolved in the gameplan. I dont see too much of that on D.

For the D to be this unimpressive, I wouldnt mind seeing some tweaking going on. Where was there any attempt to put pressure on Brady or Boller? Ronnie Brown had 8 recpt going into the jet game, but it seems the CS didnt prepare for him catching the ball out of the backfield.

With no pass rush up the middle, why dont they activate a guy with a motor like Devito and see if he can get to the QB? The DL has been pretty sad, but I dont see them trying anything to shake it up.

There has been some variation with the LBs, and i have seen Harris and Vilma paired together some. How can the OLBs (BT, Hobson, Bowens) be so ineffective thru three games? Do all of them suck? If so, put Trusnik in there.

If the DC is such a non-entity (and let's face it, most referred to him as Mangini's puppet last season) then he isnt a valuable commodity, so either he needs to start making adjustments and pushing some buttons, or else push his eject button.

Archived