Continuing to start Pennington is negligence on Mangini's part

SouthernJet

Chad Pennington at his best is in the play-action passing game. Not the drop back and shoot 'em out game. If your running back (whom you gave a boatload of money and a 2nd round pick for) cannot get more than 3 yards a carry, it isn't going to work. Whether it's the run blocking or the running itself, you must do it well to win football games. Period.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chad Pennington at his best is in the play-action passing game. Not the drop back and shoot 'em out game. If your running back (whom you gave a boatload of money and a 2nd round pick for) cannot get more than 3 yards a carry, it isn't going to work. Whether it's the run blocking or the running itself, you must do it well to win football games. Period.

The problem is Chad can't throw so people stop the RB by loading 8 men in the box. It makes it difficult to run with that every down.

Also when opposing teams fans want us to keep Pennington over a QB who has started once in his career don't you see a problem in that?

Unfortunately, when you have a QB that is so easy to game plan against --in this case Pennington-- it makes it much more difficult to run the football. Without the threat of the air attack, the running game is going to be dead in the water before it even had a chance.

Of course after I book the Jets / Giants game for a ticket in the 300's with a parking pass for $180, the Jets come out and **** the bed on offense today and lose to the offensively challenged, first time ever starting rookie led Bills offense. I love it.

Can we now, PLEASE...

START CLEMENS!!!!!!!!!

Pennington just can't get the job done. I feel like we're wasting valuable time standing still by --or maybe even taking steps backward-- by starting him. He throws a nice completion percentage but the guy is just not a play maker.

Watching him play bores me to tears. I'd be so much excited for Jets games if I knew KC was going to get the nod. I want that excitement back.

Pennington is a great guy, but it's time to move on.

potw

potw

Seriously I was so looking forward to football today, then all of a sudden it was half time and I felt like I hadn't watched any football action yet. Pennington's offense eats away clock without producing points. Every first down is a struggle and worst of all, when it comes time for a clutch drive, we end up with interceptions.

So frustrated with Pennington right now.

I feel like Cotchery could be a probowler THIS YEAR if he had a different QB.

COME ON MANGINI. GROW SOME BALLS AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!

Seriously I was so looking forward to football today, then all of a sudden it was half time and I felt like I hadn't watched any football action yet. Pennington's offense eats away clock without producing points. Every first down is a struggle and worst of all, when it comes time for a clutch drive, we end up with interceptions.

So frustrated with Pennington right now.

I feel like Cotchery could be a probowler THIS YEAR if he had a different QB.

COME ON MANGINI. GROW SOME BALLS AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!

if mangini doesnt bench chad after that fiasco, then I am seriously concerned whether mangini has the chops to be a hc,,

chads arm just cant cut it in the big boy league

if mangini doesnt bench chad after that fiasco, then I am seriously concerned whether mangini has the chops to be a hc,,

chads arm just cant cut it in the big boy league

On its face this might seem absurd but the Jets should take advantage of Chicago's desperation and trade them Chad for some picks. Right now. If Chicago waits til the off season to address its QB situation then they will have wasted the season. And if the Jets dont get Clemens going then they, too will have wasted this season. And its clear now that the Jets need plenty of new blood if they are gonna be real contenders and have a top defense.

Thank you, sir. ;)

Just one thing to note, here - against Baltimore, one of the better defensive teams in the league, Clemens got beat up, hit, sacked, and harassed all day. At the end of the game when the Jets had a chance to tie it up, Clemens took the offense down the field and threw 2 - maybe three TD passes that were dropped. During the last half of the 4th quarter, T. Jones was actaully able to run a little bit. Why couldn't Chad Pennington, against the statistically worst defense in the league, do something similar? Just wondering...

Well, maybe Baltimore isn't as good as we think. They got themselves strafed by the immortal Derek Anderson yesterday, and almost got beat by the Cardinals the week before.

I'm not saying that Chad is great. But I am saying that we don't know if he can throw a deep ball because we never call it. And even if we did, do we have anyone who can get open deep? I seem to recall him throwing a 50 yard TD to Moss against the Chargers with a shoulder that was all torn up.

The problems on this team go MUCH deeper that Chad. There is a general lack of team speed (IMHO) and the DL is a joke. There is no one that scares anybody, and the gameplanning and playcalling is infantile.

Other than that, they're ready for the Super Bowl.

Well, maybe Baltimore isn't as good as we think. They got themselves strafed by the immortal Derek Anderson yesterday, and almost got beat by the Cardinals the week before.

I'm not saying that Chad is great. But I am saying that we don't know if he can throw a deep ball because we never call it. And even if we did, do we have anyone who can get open deep? I seem to recall him throwing a 50 yard TD to Moss against the Chargers with a shoulder that was all torn up.

The problems on this team go MUCH deeper that Chad. There is a general lack of team speed (IMHO) and the DL is a joke. There is no one that scares anybody, and the gameplanning and playcalling is infantile.

Other than that, they're ready for the Super Bowl.

how can yo usay that,,have you seen his sideline out patterns???????????

they are not only slow, but have no spiral or zip,,its laughable,,i guarantee this,,if a qb cant throw a out pattern, he cant throw deep either

how can yo usay that,,have you seen his sideline out patterns???????????

they are not only slow, but have no spiral or zip,,its laughable,,i guarantee this,,if a qb cant throw a out pattern, he cant throw deep either

I disagree. The sideline out is way harder to throw than the deep ball. Deep lolipops are easy compared to the out. Never saw a problem with Chad's spiral, but that doesn't get it there any faster.

I disagree. The sideline out is way harder to throw than the deep ball. Deep lolipops are easy compared to the out. Never saw a problem with Chad's spiral, but that doesn't get it there any faster.

we obviously see differnt games on sunday..

if u think long passes are lollipops than we have different expectaions of a long pass..

maybe you have been watching chad too long to think long passes are lollipops,,

go watch a joe namath long pass on film and tell me if that looks like a lollipop

we obviously see differnt games on sunday..

if u think long passes are lollipops than we have different expectaions of a long pass..

maybe you have been watching chad too long to think long passes are lollipops,,

go watch a joe namath long pass on film and tell me if that looks like a lollipop

I have seen Joe Namath and I saw Chad throw 25-30 yard passes yesterday. They are deep passes. They are not on a rope, but they are much easier to complete than mid range outs. You can throw lollipops deep, but you can't throw them on outs. That's all I'm saying. Joe Namath has no bearing on this conversation since not only can't Chad's chicken arm compare, but neither can any other laser rocket armed qb around today.

Agreed, for sure.

I'm trying to decide if his throws had less velocity yesterday than when I saw him throwing in tc. It may be a slight difference, but his passes seemed to be hanging in the air yesterday, and he did seem to have a little more zip on the sideline outs in late July.

Take it fwiw.

I have seen Joe Namath and I saw Chad throw 25-30 yard passes yesterday. They are deep passes. They are not on a rope, but they are much easier to complete than mid range outs. You can throw lollipops deep, but you can't throw them on outs. That's all I'm saying. Joe Namath has no bearing on this conversation since not only can't Chad's chicken arm compare, but neither can any other laser rocket armed qb around today.

deep as in 50 to 60 yd passes,,thats arent laughable,,clemens has that kind of arm,,chad doesnt,, its what makes defense not bite on long passes and cheat the line of scrimmage,,

look, ,we are not in playoff hunt this year,,i dont see the argumenet over putting in the future qb now so 2008 isnt his baptism,,

he has had over ayear in the system,, was drafted high, he can handle the job now,,he may be awkward and suck for awhile, but i would rather have him suck in 2007 no playoff year, than to suck in 2008 and ruin that season as well

NOOOOOOOOO Our receivers made some greeeeeeat plays yesterday, all chads passed were floaters.

Actually his first pick had a lot of zip on it.

His deep passes to Cotchery were perfect, he hit him in stride both times. A lot of his passes were dump offs, that doesnt man they were floaters.

The pick at the end was the only play were It was a bad floater, thats it.

His deep passes to Cotchery were perfect, he hit him in stride both times. A lot of his passes were dump offs, that doesnt man they were floaters.

It had Chad zip, not zip. There two differnt kinds of zip

I was wondering how Joe Willy got in this thread. Joe Willy at 10 (I would bet) had a better arm than PennyBoy. Come on guys.

As for what is going on with Penny, Mangini and the Jets,

First I am Jets fan, if Penny can't cut it, get him on the bench so the kid KC can be our QB now. As for Mangini, he has to show some balls and make decisions he is getting paid to do. Sometimes those decisions go against the grain and are not popluar with us fans, but if he doesn't do a thing, then we would have never known if KC can cut it. Guys we are 1-3, do you honestly see this team winning 9 games and going 10-6??? You have got to be kidding me.

Second, this 3-4 defense is not cutting it...end of story. Either you make some trades and bring in some talented LB's, or you draft...but it's too late for that now. So what do you do? You stack the freakin line and you blitz over and over again. That's what you do.

lastly, This team needs to show some balls and play tough gritty football for 4 quarters, not 2 or 1, but 4. If we get beat after we tried ok, but not like yesterday. Those guys didn't show up (yet again).

I was wondering how Joe Willy got in this thread. Joe Willy at 10 (I would bet) had a better arm than PennyBoy. Come on guys.

As for what is going on with Penny, Mangini and the Jets,

First I am Jets fan, if Penny can't cut it, get him on the bench so the kid KC can be our QB now. As for Mangini, he has to show some balls and make decisions he is getting paid to do. Sometimes those decisions go against the grain and are not popluar with us fans, but if he doesn't do a thing, then we would have never known if KC can cut it. Guys we are 1-3, do you honestly see this team winning 9 games and going 10-6??? You have got to be kidding me.

Second, this 3-4 defense is not cutting it...end of story. Either you make some trades and bring in some talented LB's, or you draft...but it's too late for that now. So what do you do? You stack the freakin line and you blitz over and over again. That's what you do.

lastly, This team needs to show some balls and play tough gritty football for 4 quarters, not 2 or 1, but 4. If we get beat after we tried ok, but not like yesterday. Those guys didn't show up (yet again).

game, set, match...

potw nominee

Even Pennignton's supposed strength doesn't help him any more. Douchebag/Idiot Adam Schein was saying on SNY that the Jets didn't play action, and they should because it's Pennington's strength.What he neglected to say is it doesn't fool anyone since defenses don't fear any long pass. He's gonna fake a handoff and make a dumpoff for 3-6 yards that amounted to a running play anyway.Defenses got him figured out, no guesswork, no worries.

THOSE DEEP PASSES WEREN'T LONGER THAN 15 YARDS! Thats not a deep pass, thats a pitiful excuse of one.

deep as in 50 to 60 yd passes,,thats arent laughable,,clemens has that kind of arm,,chad doesnt,, its what makes defense not bite on long passes and cheat the line of scrimmage,,

look, ,we are not in playoff hunt this year,,i dont see the argumenet over putting in the future qb now so 2008 isnt his baptism,,

he has had over ayear in the system,, was drafted high, he can handle the job now,,he may be awkward and suck for awhile, but i would rather have him suck in 2007 no playoff year, than to suck in 2008 and ruin that season as well

How many balls travel 50 yards in the air in the NFL? Not many I'd bet and probably a minimal percentage are completed. I don't dispute that Pennington has a weak arm. I don't dispute that he has a great deal of difficulty throwing deep. I simply state that a 50 yard bomb like the one he threw to Moss against the Chargers is much easier to throw than a twenty yard out pattern. Period.

I don't have a problem with them starting Clemens. If the coaches think it's time I won't sit here and bitch about it. I only dispute that it's "negligence" to continue to start Chad when we have no idea what we have in Clemens. It would be nice to find out, but there is a legit reason why people that know better might feel he isn't ready. He looked pathetic against the Ravens for three quarters. Not Chad against the Bills pathetic, Brooks Bollinger at his worst pathetic. He hung in there and can hold his head high, but just because he made some nice throws against what amounted to a prevent doesn't mean that he's ready to start. Additionally, with the way the Giants pass rush smacked McNabb there is good reason to wait until we move on from that game. If you think the season is in the ****ter, you don't have to rush Clemens in there. He won't be cherry any more in '08 whether he starts 12 games or 8.

In regard to those who keep harping about the 4-3 being the answer - forget it! You need to change your argument to GET RID OF MANGINI....because mangini will not rid us of the 4-3. But if you watched the game, you saw how the 3-4 can flex into a 4-3, bringing an extra man to the line of scrimmage....which worked in helping stop buffalo's run. The problem was that the Bills have 'The Real Deal' in this Edwards guy.

In regard to those who keep harping about the 4-3 being the answer - forget it! You need to change your argument to GET RID OF MANGINI....because mangini will not rid us of the 4-3. But if you watched the game, you saw how the 3-4 can flex into a 4-3, bringing an extra man to the line of scrimmage....which worked in helping stop buffalo's run. The problem was that the Bills have 'The Real Deal' in this Edwards guy.

were not bashing the scheme, the 3-4 is a great scheme, but we dont have the personel for the scheme right now, so why not play some more 4-3 for now, doesnt mean you have to call yourself a 4-3 team. The 3-4 will do us wonders in a few years once we have the appropriate personel.

Clemens is a star in the waiting, but just how long will we have to wait.

Penningtons funeral may be Sunday after what the Giants did to McNabb last night.

Good point

Let KC start the week after Gint game

Maybe Gints DL will break him in half

That's a big problem right now. Chad is a small problem. I don't really think it matters right now who the QB is. The trenches suck.

Small problem are you serious no velocity at all on apass even ehen trying to throw it away wake up. I want penningtons footballs tested for helium

were not bashing the scheme, the 3-4 is a great scheme, but we dont have the personel for the scheme right now, so why not play some more 4-3 for now, doesnt mean you have to call yourself a 4-3 team. The 3-4 will do us wonders in a few years once we have the appropriate personel.

Alot of snaps the Jets have Brian Thomas lines up on the line of scrimmage. That is basically a 4-3 allignment, depending on what he does after the snap. D-Rob plenty of times hits a single gap, which is basically a 4-3 DT. So its really a hybrid defense. Too bad Thomas cant get a sniff of a QB and D-Rob so far this year hasnt made many plays. And Vilma seems to have forgotten how to tackle - he either goes too low or too high but never right for the belt.

Harris, in his limited play, has seemingly made more impact plays than any of the starters. Its frustrating considering how well they finished last season.

Archived