You guys are killing each other...and for what?

NIGHT STALKER

You know, I go back to an old rivals board years ago and I use to get into it with other posters just like you guys are.

I like to think I've learned a lot from those old days...our opinions don't mean squat. While healthy debates are encouraged, the name calling to each other is just plain BS...just because you disagree with another posters opinion doesn't mean the other guy is a jerk.

This team has a lot of problems...a lot! And it's not easy trying to localize what they are because if it were that easy, we wouldn't be having these debates that go back to 1970. Yes, that's right, that was 37 years ago and we still haven't found the formula to having a winning team...hell, we haven't even had a franchise QB since Joe made his pack with the devil...so, you guys keep on killing each other and one day you'll wake up (like me) and realize that hey, I'm an old guy now and the Jets just used up all of my youth...and for what?:bag:

Max, all I can say is, thank god you don't have a political forum...

You know, I go back to an old rivals board years ago and I use to get into it with other posters just like you guys are.

I like to think I've learned a lot from those old days...our opinions don't mean squat. While healthy debates are encouraged, the name calling to each other is just plain BS...just because you disagree with another posters opinion doesn't mean the other guy is a jerk.

This team has a lot of problems...a lot! And it's not easy trying to localize what they are because if it were that easy, we wouldn't be having these debates that go back to 1970. Yes, that's right, that was 37 years ago and we still haven't found the formula to having a winning team...hell, we haven't even had a franchise QB since Joe made his pack with the devil...so, you guys keep on killing each other and one day you'll wake up (like me) and realize that hey, I'm an old guy now and the Jets just used up all of my youth...and for what?:bag:

POTW NOM

POTW NOM

Great post NS and absolutely the deal!

the fans DO have a say in the matter. Back during the Rivals/Greenhouse days when Vinny was stinking it up there was a point where the fans had just about had enough and there were calls being made to the FO that fans would start wearing paper bags on their heads if Chad Pennington wasn't given a chance and Vinny benched.

I think that had something to do with the change (the injury helped but they heard it) how will Woody Johnson feel if all week on every sports show Jets fans are shown wearing bags on THEIR heads? Those are powerful images that don't go away-I STILL remember Saints fans from the 70's doing it-it's a blight on the organization and maybe should be considered if things don't change.

The biggest problem is that there are too many know-it-alls that are not very tolerant of other opinions. Apparently there are a lot of people here that missed their calling whether it be in the front office or on the sidelines. NS has it right, you usually see these types of heated arguments and name calling only when you discuss politics and religion.

the fans DO have a say in the matter. Back during the Rivals/Greenhouse days when Vinny was stinking it up there was a point where the fans had just about had enough and there were calls being made to the FO that fans would start wearing paper bags on their heads if Chad Pennington wasn't given a chance and Vinny benched.

I think that had something to do with the change (the injury helped but they heard it) how will Woody Johnson feel if all week on every sports show Jets fans are shown wearing bags on THEIR heads? Those are powerful images that don't go away-I STILL remember Saints fans from the 70's doing it-it's a blight on the organization and maybe should be considered if things don't change.

I agree with your posts completely. I also agree that the name calling is something that should not be occuring just because we are all fans of the same team with different opinions. If we all felt the same way, forums would be absolutely pointless.

Fans are the ones that buy the tickets, the memorabilia and the concessions.

We do have a say. Why should we continue to be cheerful when year after year we are presented with an inferior product? I know that nothing is ever a sure thing in sports (Except for the Pats this year), but I am also of the firm belief that being a fan does not simply mean sticking blindly by management when rebuilding occurs every other year.

I think that no matter how different our opinions and how positive or negative our opinions are, the most important thing is the we agree to disagree with respect for each other. After all, we all want the same thing...WINNING.

I agree with your posts completely. I also agree that the name calling is something that should not be occuring just because we are all fans of the same team with different opinions. If we all felt the same way, forums would be absolutely pointless.

Fans are the ones that buy the tickets, the memorabilia and the concessions.

We do have a say. Why should we continue to be cheerful when year after year we are presented with an inferior product? I know that nothing is ever a sure thing in sports (Except for the Pats this year), but I am also of the firm belief that being a fan does not simply mean sticking blindly by management when rebuilding occurs every other year.

I think that no matter how different our opinions and how positive or negative our opinions are, the most important thing is the we agree to disagree with respect for each other. After all, we all want the same thing...WINNING.

I kiss your ring Don Corleone

All good points

Too many internet tough guys on here spouting off

....oooh the irony!!

NS, be like me and just ignore it. It will never go away. Also laugh as Jet Moses starts putting people in their place for it.

It's always the worst right after a loss and then it calms down. In a few days everyone will realize the old Parcells adage of being what your record says, and they'll realize that we are a terrible team. I think we can beat Miami but man if we lose to them people are going to really lose it. We are going to get crushed by the Pats. If BB is really the jerk that people say he is, that game will end around 63-0.

Come on Jimmy, you don't really believe that do you? Ask a Saints fan of today if it meant a difference wearing a bag on their head? They got some publicity out of it and the last time I looked, they haven't even appeared in a SB, never mind winning one.

Vinny was benched for the same reason why Chad was benched this time...they both sucked before they were replaced...nothing to do with the fans. Damn, if we fans made a difference in changing QB's or some other game changing ideas, that ain't saying too much for the staff.

Come on Jimmy, you don't really believe that do you? Ask a Saints fan of today if it meant a difference wearing a bag on their head? They got some publicity out of it and the last time I looked, they haven't even appeared in a SB, never mind winning one.

Vinny was benched for the same reason why Chad was benched this time...they both sucked before they were replaced...nothing to do with the fans. Damn, if we fans made a difference in changing QB's or some other game changing ideas, that ain't saying too much for the staff.

If Woody listened to the fans, he would fire Mangini, sell the team, sign every free agent ever, and kill himself.

Why is that funny? What did I do wrong?

Nothing, you didn't take it the way I intended you to. I meant laugh at the people getting put in their place. What you're doing is a good thing! A lot of us really don't like getting involved in that type of thing so we just let it go and the cycle keeps going.

not any time soon I'm afraid DC-Mangini is going to have to pull a Herm and start throwing coaches under the bus-Sutton and Wise should be the first casualties

I'm not sure why you put it like that. Herm threw coaches under the bus because he never took any responsibility for anything that went wrong. He assembled a staff and then didn't like what he got. We all agree that Sutton and Wise are under-performing. I wouldn't see getting rid of Wise as throwing him under the bus. Maybe Sutton who I believe is basically a figurehead or puppet for Mangini, but there could be legit reasons to get rid of him. For instance if Mangini wants more or more varied blitzes. Throwing him under the bus involve more than simply switching coaches. It's more giving a press conference where you explain that all the problems will be solved by this coaching change. That was Herm's style.

Excellent post. I have been following them since they were Titans, and in all those years, including 1969, I really only felt they were going to the Super Bowl twice. I did not think the Namath Jets were getting there. I did think the Walt Michaels' team was going, but we had a stiff at QB. Then the year we lost to Denver. I thought we were going. Vinnie forgot who he was and played way over his head. He was a mistake QB his whole career but somehow that year he had some kind of metamorphosis. But everybody fumbled and we lost. I really believe that the main reason the Jets have never gotten there is that in the last 37 years they have not had a great QB once. NOT ONCE! That is amazing.

Excellent post. I have been following them since they were Titans, and in all those years, including 1969, I really only felt they were going to the Super Bowl twice. I did not think the Namath Jets were getting there. I did think the Walt Michaels' team was going, but we had a stiff at QB. Then the year we lost to Denver. I thought we were going. Vinnie forgot who he was and played way over his head. He was a mistake QB his whole career but somehow that year he had some kind of metamorphosis. But everybody fumbled and we lost. I really believe that the main reason the Jets have never gotten there is that in the last 37 years they have not had a great QB once. NOT ONCE! That is amazing.

A great QB is one as well as the fact how many HOF players have they had over the years? It's like this team never drafts, trades for, or has a desire or clue how to bring in great talent. They have a few good players now and again, but overall, we have no John Elway stories. No Joe Montana or Tom Brady stories. No Peyton Manning stories. We have the one Super Bowl story, which is great, but I'd imagine half the people on this board weren't alive to be a part of that story, including myself.

At least we got to see Curtis Martin in a Jets uniform, but as much as I loved him, he was never a RB who could just dominate a game by himself.

It's almost like they try ot overthink everything and wind up with some good players, but never HOF or even that many pro bowl players.

Very few HOF players. Very few pro bowl players on a consistent basis. I guess it's one of the biggest reasons why they are never really legit contenders.

Our fanbase doesn't want to try for great players anyway. We are seemingly content shooting for and getting average players and then overhyping them like homers. We have the fear of failure, but if you never approach that hot girl at the bar you will never take her home! Who cares if a few of them blow you off? Getting 1 out of 4 dimes is better than getting 3 out of 4 5s!

Our fanbase doesn't want to try for great players anyway. We are seemingly content shooting for and getting average players and then overhyping them like homers. We have the fear of failure, but if you never approach that hot girl at the bar you will never take her home! Who cares if a few of them blow you off? Getting 1 out of 4 dimes is better than getting 3 out of 4 5s!

Maybe that is the case... Maybe most Jets fans are content with that 5... She's attractive enough. She does a few good things. But she's not a good cook. She's not a girl who will turn heads.. She has an avg job. She has an avg family. She's, well just avg. Nothing wrong with average, but once in a while, you want that girl who could be Pamela Anderson or Carmen Electra in their primes or maybe even Paris Hilton if you like that kind of girl, or a woman like Hillary Clinton who might not be the looker but she's a power woman who goes for what she wants and has that "I will be President" drive. Or maybe an italian girl who is one of the best cooks and maybe one of those stay at home mom's that people brag about for life..

No the Jets don't go for the hottest. They don't go for the smartest. They don't go for the best stay at home mother or cook. They go for the one who won't make any splash. They go for average or the safe bet.

And I guess the Jets fans are like the guys who marry the first girl that lets them sleep with her. It's probably not the HOF type.

Archived