Those of you who have paid attention to the O Line

GreenScreen313

how much has our line improved over the course of this season?

How much have they gel'd?

Who do we keep on the right side of the line, even as non-starters?

Is Jacob Bender the only young prospect we already have on the team for the line?

1-Not much.

2-Not at all.

3-preferably nobody.

4-Seeing as Bender is not really even a "prospect" I would say we have no prospects.

The has not really been able to be evaluated fairly because that Left Guard position is sooo bad. It's really a complete joke - see Clemen's injury in the Pats game. The only three who should stay are Mangold, D'brick and Moore. Moore might be a better all purpose, utility back-up. He's not terrible, and could remain as a starter, but he's not better than average. Left guard could be improved placing a pillow between Mangold and D'brick. Right tackle is not much better. Clement is an average BACKUP. He is just a big guy with a high center of gravity. He looks like he is playing on stilts. He gets tossed around. We need two new starters, and another player who can compete with and challenge Moore. Chris Baker is a great blocker and a very good / athletic pass catcher. No changes at Tight End for me.

The has not really been able to be evaluated fairly because that Left Guard position is sooo bad. It's really a complete joke - see Clemen's injury in the Pats game. The only three who should stay are Mangold, D'brick and Moore. Moore might be a better all purpose, utility back-up. He's not terrible, and could remain as a starter, but he's not better than average. Left guard could be improved placing a pillow between Mangold and D'brick. Right tackle is not much better. Clement is an average BACKUP. He is just a big guy with a high center of gravity. He looks like he is playing on stilts. He gets tossed around. We need two new starters, and another player who can compete with and challenge Moore. Chris Baker is a great blocker and a very good / athletic pass catcher. No changes at Tight End for me.

I pretty much agree with this analysis. IMO Chris Baker is FAR from a great blocker. I'd say he was adequate. I'm also not so hard on Clement. Clement is a below average starter and an excellent backup. I agree about Moore and Clarke. Can't replace Clarke with a pillow since Bender was considerably worse at the spot in preseason and unlike some of the guys here I'm not in love with Montgomery. There is no big drop-off when #66 goes in, but I've seen him give up sacks and get mauled as well.

Bender, Turner and Oldenburg will probably have a chance to fight for jobs next camp. They MUST bring in a starting caliber guard to replace Kendall because he has not been replaced yet. I would also bring in a tackle to compete with Clement. I was on record as saying this last year. Clement should stay and be allowed to fight for his job, but I'd prefer that a decent FA or 1st day pick should be brought in to compete. I don't see Bender as a legit candidate yet.

I spent 2 games watching the OL almost exclusively and I'll tell you this; Clarke is terrible-I like Mongomery way better-i saw him do some stuff that showed he could move the way a true OG should. Anthony Clement has me wondering why the fock did we re-do his contract. I've seen a guy who consistently doesn't even play to the whistle-if you need a guy to help you up after being sacked or dropped for a 4 yard loss on a running play expect to see Clement's big hand reaching down to you. Brandon Moore is hard to track-I'd say he's serviceable at best but LG and RT absolutely MUST be addressed

how much has our line improved over the course of this season?

How much have they gel'd?

Who do we keep on the right side of the line, even as non-starters?

Is Jacob Bender the only young prospect we already have on the team for the line?

1 - Not at all. If anything, it has gotten worse.

2 - Doesn't seem like they've gelled at all.

3 - Brandon Moore if the organization can find a Right Tackle whose worthy of starting in the NFL.

4 - Yes and sadly he's a 6th round pick from a DII school.

Our line sucks. Mangold is the only true player. Ferguson is a bust, but we are paying him too much to dump him. Here's an idea........let's use our top 4 pick on another crappy OL to go with Brick. Let McFadden go set records with another team.

D'Brick is not a bust. He is actually playing very well at the moment.

Nick Mangold - is doing good and should be a pro bowler if he keeps on track

D'Brickashaw Ferguson - hasn't played up to his 4th overall pick but he has played average, he needs to get stronger though.

Adrien Clarke - is **** awful and needs to be replace

Anthony Clement - moves like he's 500lbs and blocks like he's 200, I have know idea why he is on the team or why he was signed for so long.

Brandon Moore - career backup

Wade Smith - career backup

Will Montgomery - haven't seen enough of him

Jacob Bender - haven't seen enough of him

Our line sucks. Mangold is the only true player. Ferguson is a bust, but we are paying him too much to dump him. Here's an idea........let's use our top 4 pick on another crappy OL to go with Brick. Let McFadden go set records with another team.

McFadden wouldn't set any records in back of this O Line right now. Unless you count most negative runs some sort of record.

Not saying the have to take an OLineman in round one. They do need two new starters there next year though.

My opinions on the O-line:

D'Brick- IMO he's starting to improve his game a lot. He looks a lot more comfortable in pass protection now than he did earlier in the year, and a lot of the sacks that he's given up recently were largely due to Kellen holding onto the ball too long. His run blocking is still below average but he's getting better at it. Life is made a heck of a lot more difficult for him because of that useless POS LG that's beside him.

Adrian Clarke- Has an amazing ability to make me physically sick. He is absolutely useless. If he's on this team entering next season I will shoot myself!!!!

Nick Mangold- Very good, consistent and rarely makes mistakes. Great player.

Brandon Moore - IMO he's actually quite talented and he really does show glimpses of great potential, he is just way too inconsistent for my liking. He's good enough to be a starter next year but in the long run I think we need a better solution.

Anthony Clement - Awful, needs replacing.

My opinions on the O-line:

D'Brick- IMO he's starting to improve his game a lot. He looks a lot more comfortable in pass protection now than he did earlier in the year, and a lot of the sacks that he's given up recently were largely due to Kellen holding onto the ball too long. His run blocking is still below average but he's getting better at it. Life is made a heck of a lot more difficult for him because of that useless POS LG that's beside him.

Adrian Clarke- Has an amazing ability to make me physically sick. He is absolutely useless. If he's on this team entering next season I will shoot myself!!!!

Nick Mangold- Very good, consistent and rarely makes mistakes. Great player.

Brandon Moore - IMO he's actually quite talented and he really does show glimpses of great potential, he is just way too inconsistent for my liking. He's good enough to be a starter next year but in the long run I think we need a better solution.

Anthony Clement - Awful, needs replacing.

Agree with all of it except Moore.

He is a back up at best. Just not big enough as a guard on the right side shich should be the power side

Our offensive line is hands down our teams biggest weakness. Granted we drafted D'Brick with the 4th pick and he has games where he looks like the future LT we drafted him so high to be and some games he'll look like a LT we could've drafted in the 3rd or 4th round. The bottomline with D'Brick is that he NEEDS to put on some more pounds.. that simple.

Nick Mangold is a stud. No more needs to be said. Thank you Mangold.

Brandon Moore is solid. RG is a position that I feel we need not place too much focus on if any in the off-season.

LG is a huuuuge problem. Now I can see how important the LG position actually is. No LG = No running game. I feel our number 1 priority this off-season is to acquire, not draft, a LG. We need someone who's going to come in and have an IMMEDIATE impact at the position. That means we need to sign a veteran (Faneca) who will instantly make our offensive line better from day one. Not to mention getting that LG will without a doubt make D'Brick look and play like he was picked 4th in the first round of the 2006 NFL Draft on a consistent basis.

The RT position I feel can be upgrade in the draft, but an upgrade is definitely needed over Clement whom I hate with a bloody passion.

That's my 2 cents.

Our offensive line is hands down our teams biggest weakness. Granted we drafted D'Brick with the 4th pick and he has games where he looks like the future LT we drafted him so high to be and some games he'll look like a LT we could've drafted in the 3rd or 4th round. The bottomline with D'Brick is that he NEEDS to put on some more pounds.. that simple.

Nick Mangold is a stud. No more needs to be said. Thank you Mangold.

Brandon Moore is solid. RG is a position that I feel we need not place too much focus on if any in the off-season.

LG is a huuuuge problem. Now I can see how important the LG position actually is. No LG = No running game. I feel our number 1 priority this off-season is to acquire, not draft, a LG. We need someone who's going to come in and have an IMMEDIATE impact at the position. That means we need to sign a veteran (Faneca) who will instantly make our offensive line better from day one. Not to mention getting that LG will without a doubt make D'Brick look and play like he was picked 4th in the first round of the 2006 NFL Draft on a consistent basis.

The RT position I feel can be upgrade in the draft, but an upgrade is definitely needed over Clement whom I hate with a bloody passion.

That's my 2 cents.

The NFL is rampant in steroids. Can we PLEASE GET DBRICK ON A PROGRAM. His lanky ass needs to put on 15 pounds of muscle and keep it on. Period. End of story. He was a 4th overall pick and should act like one. Aside from a handful of homer Jets fans, he is a BUST so far. Look at Joe Thomas this year, hes played at a Pro Bowl level all year. Wheres that kind of play from DBrick???

One thing that's overlooked-Richie Anderson and dare I say, Curtis Martin were both great blockers. Wedon't really have a true fullback or blokcing bak on the roster, and on passing downs or is shotgun formations, nobody effectively picks up blitzers or free defenders wehn the play breaks down. Lorezno Neal of the Chargers, arguably the premier blocking Fb in all of the NFL, was briefly on the Jets and dealt away in 1998.

One thing that's overlooked-Richie Anderson and dare I say, Curtis Martin were both great blockers. Wedon't really have a true fullback or blokcing bak on the roster, and on passing downs or is shotgun formations, nobody effectively picks up blitzers or free defenders wehn the play breaks down. Lorezno Neal of the Chargers, arguably the premier blocking Fb in all of the NFL, was briefly on the Jets and dealt away in 1998.

I still haven't figured out the whole Darrien Barnes fiasco. What was that all about?

I'm very pleased at Mangold's progress; he's definitely living up to his potential. Brick on the other hand, is still not there yet. I can't call him a bust right as of now, but he needs to improve next year to keep himself from being another serious concern on the O-line.

The NFL is rampant in steroids. Can we PLEASE GET DBRICK ON A PROGRAM. His lanky ass needs to put on 15 pounds of muscle and keep it on. Period. End of story. He was a 4th overall pick and should act like one. Aside from a handful of homer Jets fans, he is a BUST so far. Look at Joe Thomas this year, hes played at a Pro Bowl level all year. Wheres that kind of play from DBrick???

He is not a bust, he is playing well. For every Joe Thomas there is a Robert Gallery.

DBrick is playing ok, he's not playing great. Was he worth the 4th pick in the draft? Not really, but he is what he is and if he gains some strength and improves next season, he should get better. I doubt he'll ever be a pro bowl OL unless he suddenly becomes great next year, but i'm fine with that.

Mangold could be a pro bowl OL, but who knows.

The problem I have is both players had a better year last year than they have this year. You can blame it on Kendall being traded, but that is all part of the package. If they bring in Jake Long and not much else, I don't think the OL improves all that much. Dbrick is a one sided OL and at this point, so is Jake Long.

My biggest problem is the OL sucked in 2005 and now going into 2008 it still sucks. Talk about not progressing.

DBrick is playing ok, he's not playing great. Was he worth the 4th pick in the draft? Not really, but he is what he is and if he gains some strength and improves next season, he should get better. I doubt he'll ever be a pro bowl OL unless he suddenly becomes great next year, but i'm fine with that.

Mangold could be a pro bowl OL, but who knows.

The problem I have is both players had a better year last year than they have this year. You can blame it on Kendall being traded, but that is all part of the package. If they bring in Jake Long and not much else, I don't think the OL improves all that much. Dbrick is a one sided OL and at this point, so is Jake Long.

My biggest problem is the OL sucked in 2005 and now going into 2008 it still sucks. Talk about not progressing.

Ami I the only one who is seeing a huge improvement with D'Brick?? Oh and BTW he is alot better than last season.

He hasn't given up many sacks this season which have been all on him, he has done very very well IMO considering the circumstances.

Archived