Parcells and Keyshawn reunion?

faba

KEYSHAWN JOHNSON

Could Keyshawn, Parcells reunite?

The agent for Keyshawn Johnson, an ESPN analyst who played for Dolphins boss Bill Parcells, said his client could help Miami's young receivers.

Posted on Thu, Jan. 03, 2008

Digg del.icio.us AIM reprint print email

BY JEFF DARLINGTON

jdarlington@MiamiHerald.com

First, Bill Parcells decided to leave ESPN for the Miami Dolphins to resurrect his career in the NFL. Now, one of his favorite players might consider doing the same.

Former Pro Bowl wide receiver Keyshawn Johnson has not ruled out the possibility of making a comeback to play specifically in Miami for Parcells, a mentor and close friend.

In an e-mail to The Miami Herald, agent Jerome Stanley said Johnson remains in ''great shape'' while also remaining close to Parcells, who coached Johnson with the New York Jets and Dallas Cowboys.

''I speak to Keyshawn daily about all aspects of his career, he is very close to Coach Parcells and is in great shape IF he chose to play next year,'' Stanley wrote, responding to an e-mail from The Miami Herald about Johnson's potential interest in returning to play for Parcells. ``Miami could use a good tough veteran like Key to help the current crop of young receivers develop.''

Stanley, however, also noted that Johnson is happy in his job at ESPN. Johnson began as an analyst at the network after retiring from football in May 2007, three weeks after the Carolina Panthers released him.

''He loves his broadcast career with ESPN and hopes that this year was the beginning of a long relationship,'' Stanley added.

However, Johnson's relationship with Parcells runs deep.

If Parcells, who is the new vice president of football operations for the Dolphins, felt strongly about Johnson's potential impact, it might be enough to lure Johnson back.

Parcells has not commented publicly about anything since his introductory news conference last Thursday, and he was unavailable for comment regarding Johnson.

Parcells coached Johnson when Parcells coached the Jets from 1997 to 1999, a period that caused Parcells to later call the receiver one of the best players he had ever coached.

Despite their strong relationship, Parcells traded Johnson to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for two first-round draft picks -- a move that remains one of Parcell's most highly regarded decisions. The pair hooked up again in Dallas for the 2004 and 2005 seasons, where Johnson again was productive.

Johnson, however, is 35. In 2006 with Carolina, he caught 70 passes for 815 yards in a No. 2 role to Steve Smith. Still, even as a role player, Johnson could be a major addition to an inexperienced corps of receivers in Miami.

The Dolphins are in desperate need of playmakers and veteran leadership.

Whether Johnson still has the talent to play remains to be seen. However, even as he contemplated retirement in May, six head coaches (including Patriots coach Bill Belichick) contacted him about playing for them this season.

''I've done everything I wanted to do in my career,'' Johnson said upon announcing his retirement. ``I just couldn't find one thing that could drive me back to playing football. As I learned from Bill Parcells, the circus doesn't stay in town very long.''

That circus might be coming to Miami very soon.

You had to know this was coming..I think would be a smart move for a variety of reasons.

Yeah, its really not shocking to me at all. Miami has basically nobody at Receiver and Key would be a huge upgrade for them. He'd step in and be the #1 there.

It's not that easy.

You don't just shut down a career and then re-start it when you feel you want to. This is not like turning on a light switch.

Especially for someone like Keyshawn who was in a steady decline.

I believe that KJ is smarter than this and knows his limitations. It could be embarrassing. 36 year old receivers making comebacks generally are not happy ending stories.

he comes to camp as invited walk on and probably also mentors wit ha eye towards sticking maybe as assistant position coach wiith someday moving up to WR coach and beyong years in future,,he is one of those guys who cant walk away from game..

You're crazy. Keyshawn is great.

You would honestly take Irvin over Key?

i'd take MUTE BUTTON over either option

its one mindless loudmouth reciever for another

remember when Irvin was "helping his friend out" by hiding his crackpipe in his car?

It's not that easy.

You don't just shut down a career and then re-start it when you feel you want to. This is not like turning on a light switch.

I believe that KJ is smarter than this and knows his limitations. It could be embarrassing. 36 year old receivers making comebacks generally are not happy ending stories.

Why not? Vinny does it all the time. :biggrin:

I could see Keyshawn being a far better motivator in his old age than he ever motived himself as a football player. His fat mouth and his lazy work ethic is what prevented him from being prolific, and I will always stick by that. For some odd reason, he and Fat Bill hit it off from the very beginning, and Fat Bill tolerated more from him than he would have from anyone else. A mystery, really.

Keyshawn had a transparent fit of professional jealousy, and only played when he wanted to. That much ISN'T a mystery.

It's not that easy.

Tell that to the Fish! They keep trying with Ricky Williams! So this wouldn't suprise me at all.

KEYSHAWN JOHNSON

Could Keyshawn, Parcells reunite?

The agent for Keyshawn Johnson, an ESPN analyst who played for Dolphins boss Bill Parcells, said his client could help Miami's young receivers.

Posted on Thu, Jan. 03, 2008

Digg del.icio.us AIM reprint print email

BY JEFF DARLINGTON

jdarlington@MiamiHerald.com

First, Bill Parcells decided to leave ESPN for the Miami Dolphins to resurrect his career in the NFL. Now, one of his favorite players might consider doing the same.

Former Pro Bowl wide receiver Keyshawn Johnson has not ruled out the possibility of making a comeback to play specifically in Miami for Parcells, a mentor and close friend.

In an e-mail to The Miami Herald, agent Jerome Stanley said Johnson remains in ''great shape'' while also remaining close to Parcells, who coached Johnson with the New York Jets and Dallas Cowboys.

''I speak to Keyshawn daily about all aspects of his career, he is very close to Coach Parcells and is in great shape IF he chose to play next year,'' Stanley wrote, responding to an e-mail from The Miami Herald about Johnson's potential interest in returning to play for Parcells. ``Miami could use a good tough veteran like Key to help the current crop of young receivers develop.''

Stanley, however, also noted that Johnson is happy in his job at ESPN. Johnson began as an analyst at the network after retiring from football in May 2007, three weeks after the Carolina Panthers released him.

''He loves his broadcast career with ESPN and hopes that this year was the beginning of a long relationship,'' Stanley added.

However, Johnson's relationship with Parcells runs deep.

If Parcells, who is the new vice president of football operations for the Dolphins, felt strongly about Johnson's potential impact, it might be enough to lure Johnson back.

Parcells has not commented publicly about anything since his introductory news conference last Thursday, and he was unavailable for comment regarding Johnson.

Parcells coached Johnson when Parcells coached the Jets from 1997 to 1999, a period that caused Parcells to later call the receiver one of the best players he had ever coached.

Despite their strong relationship, Parcells traded Johnson to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for two first-round draft picks -- a move that remains one of Parcell's most highly regarded decisions. The pair hooked up again in Dallas for the 2004 and 2005 seasons, where Johnson again was productive.

Johnson, however, is 35. In 2006 with Carolina, he caught 70 passes for 815 yards in a No. 2 role to Steve Smith. Still, even as a role player, Johnson could be a major addition to an inexperienced corps of receivers in Miami.

The Dolphins are in desperate need of playmakers and veteran leadership.

Whether Johnson still has the talent to play remains to be seen. However, even as he contemplated retirement in May, six head coaches (including Patriots coach Bill Belichick) contacted him about playing for them this season.

''I've done everything I wanted to do in my career,'' Johnson said upon announcing his retirement. ``I just couldn't find one thing that could drive me back to playing football. As I learned from Bill Parcells, the circus doesn't stay in town very long.''

That circus might be coming to Miami very soon.

Great shape? the guy looks like he's 300 lbs on ESPN.

He had a contract offer with the Panthers. Tiki Barber talked him into retirement!

If I recall it was his being waived by the panthers that sent him into retirement. That being said I do like his work on ESPN actually enjoyed his work for the NFL Draft

If I recall it was his being waived by the panthers that sent him into retirement. That being said I do like his work on ESPN actually enjoyed his work for the NFL Draft

Your right, I'm sorry it was the Titans with the offer. You know puke powder blue on both teams confuse me.

It's not that easy.

well, in case you didnt notice, but look how awesome Vinny had played the last 3 years! and we all know that Vinny went together like lamb and tuna fish. (or maybe spaghetti and meatball, if you're more comfortable with that analogy). point is, old guys can succeed, so Keyshawn could definitely do it. i hope he doesnt though, as it would suck if he put on the Dolphins uniform!!!

well, in case you didnt notice, but look how awesome Vinny had played the last 3 years! and we all know that Vinny went together like lamb and tuna fish. (or maybe spaghetti and meatball, if you're more comfortable with that analogy). point is, old guys can succeed, so Keyshawn could definitely do it. i hope he doesnt though, as it would suck if he put on the Dolphins uniform!!!

And in case you watched KJ BEFORE he retired, he was the slowest WR in the league.

Now, a defense could count on a LB covering him.

Comparing the positions of QB to WR and the athleticism required is not a good argument.

Vinny played awesome the last 3 years? Please.

Archived