Parcells/Sparano v. Tangini, who would you rather have?

docdhc

Now that Parcells is back and he's hired an up and coming coach which team would you rather have for the Jets? If Parcells decided to come back last year we may have had Sparano instead of Mangini. Obviously neither has proven anything yet, especially Sparano, but if I was a Dolphin fan I would be pretty happy now. That being said, I still like the upside and longevity possibility of Tangini. I think they are building a solid foundation and that this year was a bit of an aberration, and not a true indicator of Mangini's coaching ability.

Now that Parcells is back and he's hired an up and coming coach which team would you rather have for the Jets? If Parcells decided to come back last year we may have had Sparano instead of Mangini. Obviously neither has proven anything yet, especially Sparano, but if I was a Dolphin fan I would be pretty happy now. That being said, I still like the upside and longevity possibility of Tangini. I think they are building a solid foundation and that this year was a bit of an aberration, and not a true indicator of Mangini's coaching ability.

A lot of Clemens fans might not want Sparano...here's a quote from the Miami Hearld today. "You don't want to have questions about young players in year two because you didn't do enough with 'em in year one." I think it's safe to say Beck won't be their starter next year.

Acrtually, Mangini proved he can get to the playoffs and has a very solid draft record. He's proven quite a bit in only 2 years. Parcells is a cancer in the draft and on the cap. I'm happy with Tangini.

Acrtually, Mangini proved he can get to the playoffs and has a very solid draft record. He's proven quite a bit in only 2 years. Parcells is a cancer in the draft and on the cap. I'm happy with Tangini.

I'm happy with Tangini too. I don't quite get what you mean by saying Parcells is a cancer in the draft. I take that comment as being negative, but I thought Bill Parcells was a good judge of talent. Please "splain".

I'm happy with Tangini too. I don't quite get what you mean by saying Parcells is a cancer in the draft. I take that comment as being negative, but I thought Bill Parcells was a good judge of talent. Please "splain".

I prefer the young guys and the long term approach. Parcells will come and go. Hopefully, the Jets FO is in this for the long haul and once it gets going the Jets will compete and be strong every year.

Look at some of the drafts Parcells had with the Jets. Absolute Disasters.

--Dorian Boose

--Passed on Orlando Pace

--James Farrior played out of position and took four or five years to develop

--Whatever season it was that Jason Ferguson was drafted the Jets had a riddiculous number of picks and Ferguson was the ONLY one who was any good. You wouldn't even remember the names of most of the guys they took that year. Remember the HUGE contracts to Mo Lewis and C-Mart that crippled that cap situation?

Parcells drafts with scrubs/busts in bold

97 and 98 combined for 23 total picks and THREE solid players

Total-- 45 picks, 12 NFL caliber players....I'm thinkin' 3 Pro-Bowlers?

2000 - New York Jets

Rd Sel # Player Position School

1 12 Shaun Ellis DE Tennessee

1 13 John Abraham LB South Carolina

1 18 Chad Pennington QB Marshall

1 27 Anthony Becht TE West Virginia

3 78 Laveranues Coles WR Florida State

5 143 Windrell Hayes WR USC

6 179 Tony Scott CB North Carolina State

7 218 Richard Seals -- Utah

1999 - New York Jets

2 57 Randy Thomas G Mississippi State

3 90 David Loverne G San Jose State

4 123 Jason Wiltz DT Nebraska

5 162 Jermaine Jones DB Northwestern State-Louisiana

6 183 Marc Megna LB Richmond

6 197 J.P. Machado G Illinois

7 223 Ryan Young T Kansas State

7 235 J.J. Syvrud LB Jamestown

1998 - New York Jets

2 56 Dorian Boose DE Washington State

3 67 Scott Frost DB Nebraska

3 87 Kevin Williams FS Oklahoma State

4 111 Jason Fabini T Cincinnati

5 134 Casey Dailey LB Northwestern

5 141 Doug Karczewski G Virginia

5 146 Blake Spence TE Oregon

5 149 Eric Bateman -- Brigham Young

6 163 Eric Ogbogu DE Maryland

6 174 Chris Brazzell WR Angelo State

6 183 Dustin Johnson RB Brigham Young

7 195 Lawrence Hart TE Southern University

1997 - New York Jets

1 8 James Farrior OLB Virginia

2 31 Rick Terry DT North Carolina

3 88 Dedric Ward WR Northern Iowa

4 102 Terry Day DE Mississippi State

4 104 Leon Johnson RB North Carolina

5 131 Lamont Burns G East Carolina

5 145 Ray Austin DB Tennessee

6 164 Tim Scharf -- Northwestern

6 191 Chuck Clements QB Houston

7 202 Steve Rosga DB Colorado

7 229 Jason Ferguson DT Georgia

1996 - New York Jets

1 1 Keyshawn Johnson WR USC

2 31 Alex Van Dyke WR Nevada-Reno

3 62 Ray Mickens CB Texas A&M

5 133 Marcus Coleman CB Texas Tech

6 168 Hugh Hunter -- Hampton

7 210 Chris Hayes DB Washington State

In two drafts we've seen Tangini make 14 picks and produced at least FIVE very good players (Revis, Harris, D' Brick, Mangold, Washington) with Revis, Mangold, and Harris showing Pro-Bowl potential. Going in to this off-season they'll be in the range of $30 mil under the cap.

As a coach I take Parcells over Mangini based on what one has proven and the other hasn't. Running an organization? Tangini.

Parcells drafts with scrubs/busts in bold

97 and 98 combined for 23 total picks and THREE solid players

Total-- 45 picks, 12 NFL caliber players....I'm thinkin' 3 Pro-Bowlers?

2000 - New York Jets

1 12 Shaun Ellis DE Tennessee

1 13 John Abraham LB South Carolina

1 18 Chad Pennington QB Marshall

1 27 Anthony Becht TE West Virginia

3 78 Laveranues Coles WR Florida State

5 143 Windrell Hayes WR USC

6 179 Tony Scott CB North Carolina State

7 218 Richard Seals -- Utah

1999 - New York Jets

2 57 Randy Thomas G Mississippi State

3 90 David Loverne G San Jose State

4 123 Jason Wiltz DT Nebraska

5 162 Jermaine Jones DB Northwestern State-Louisiana

6 183 Marc Megna LB Richmond

6 197 J.P. Machado G Illinois

7 223 Ryan Young T Kansas State

7 235 J.J. Syvrud LB Jamestown

1998 - New York Jets

2 56 Dorian Boose DE Washington State

3 67 Scott Frost DB Nebraska

3 87 Kevin Williams FS Oklahoma State

4 111 Jason Fabini T Cincinnati

5 134 Casey Dailey LB Northwestern

5 141 Doug Karczewski G Virginia

5 146 Blake Spence TE Oregon

5 149 Eric Bateman -- Brigham Young

6 163 Eric Ogbogu DE Maryland

6 174 Chris Brazzell WR Angelo State

6 183 Dustin Johnson RB Brigham Young

7 195 Lawrence Hart TE Southern University

1997 - New York Jets

1 8 James Farrior OLB Virginia

2 31 Rick Terry DT North Carolina

3 88 Dedric Ward WR Northern Iowa

4 102 Terry Day DE Mississippi State

4 104 Leon Johnson RB North Carolina

5 131 Lamont Burns G East Carolina

5 145 Ray Austin DB Tennessee

6 164 Tim Scharf -- Northwestern

6 191 Chuck Clements QB Houston

7 202 Steve Rosga DB Colorado

7 229 Jason Ferguson DT Georgia

1996 - New York Jets

1 1 Keyshawn Johnson WR USC

2 31 Alex Van Dyke WR Nevada-Reno

3 62 Ray Mickens CB Texas A&M

5 133 Marcus Coleman CB Texas Tech

6 168 Hugh Hunter -- Hampton

7 210 Chris Hayes DB Washington State

In two drafts we've seen Tangini make 14 picks and produced at least FIVE very good players (Revis, Harris, D' Brick, Mangold, Washington) with Revis, Mangold, and Harris showing Pro-Bowl potential. Going in to this off-season they'll be in the range of $30 mil under the cap.

As a coach I take Parcells over Mangini based on what one has proven and the other hasn't. Running an organization? Tangini.

Also we must include Thomas Jones in the 'Draft " because he was gotten for a 4th rounder..ridiculous steal..No question Tangini!!

Parcells, as a GM, is a clown. His drafts are horrible.

Here is his "success" formula:

He finds a team that has more talent than most people suspect. He brings in his veterans to fill spots and provide leadership. He is a heckuva coach. So he has a few good years and then he bolts.

And now he is not even going to be the coach? You gotta be kidding me.

He did not run the Jets in 96... how were his drafts in NE and Dallas? Also how long has he been in this game, what resources does he have like Ron Wolf as compared to Tangini? Parcells was one of their resources!

Didn't he leave NE because they wouldn't let him "buy the groceries"? My bad on the 96 thing. I was thinking of an interview Keyshawn did after Parcells was hired but I forgot that wasn't his rookie season.

The drafting he did in Dallas was better than what it was with the Jets but nothing outstanding. Passed on Steven Jackson to take Julius Jones who isn't bad. Although he's been very injury prone and nowhere as good as Jackson.

Again, better percentage of quality players taken thus far, and no tendency to spend tens of millions over the cap because everything is done in three year increments.

Didn't he leave NE because they wouldn't let him "buy the groceries"? My bad on the 96 thing. I was thinking of an interview Keyshawn did after Parcells was hired but I forgot that wasn't his rookie season.

The drafting he did in Dallas was better than what it was with the Jets but nothing outstanding. Passed on Steven Jackson to take Julius Jones who isn't bad. Although he's been very injury prone and nowhere as good as Jackson.

Again, better percentage of quality players taken thus far, and no tendency to spend tens of millions over the cap because everything is done in three year increments.

..and for some unknown reason on the way out the door, he crippled the Jets cap by giving huge contracts to Moe Lewis and Bryan Cox

Leon Johnson was not a scrub!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My bad...I forgot about that season when he was robbed in the MVP voting with 185 yds rushing.;)

Actually he was a solid player but could never stay healthy...which qualifies him for bust/scrub status

The 97 and 98 drafts were incredibly bad in retrospect. You have to blame those drafts for some of the decline in the Herm/Bradway years. That being said, he still did build a very good team that almost made the super bowl and then lost its starting QB the next year.

Look at some of the drafts Parcells had with the Jets. Absolute Disasters.

--Dorian Boose

--Passed on Orlando Pace

--James Farrior played out of position and took four or five years to develop

--Whatever season it was that Jason Ferguson was drafted the Jets had a riddiculous number of picks and Ferguson was the ONLY one who was any good. You wouldn't even remember the names of most of the guys they took that year. Remember the HUGE contracts to Mo Lewis and C-Mart that crippled that cap situation?

You are absolutely correct. That is why Parcells took a 1-15 team and 2 years later was one Wayne Chrebet dropped pass in the endzone away from going to the superbowl and destroying the Falcons for the second time that year. I'd take Tangini any day over that.

You are absolutely correct. That is why Parcells took a 1-15 team and 2 years later was one Wayne Chrebet dropped pass in the endzone away from going to the superbowl and destroying the Falcons for the second time that year. I'd take Tangini any day over that.

I disagree. If you're talking X's and O's I'd take Parcells. If we're talking about Parcells running a draft, I'd take Tangini. I can't really say much about Sparano because he hasn't done either in the NFL. Never coached, never ran a FO so to me it's Parcells vs. Tangini running an organization. I take Parcells to coach, Tangini to draft/sign players. To each his own though.

Bill Parcells drunk and high is a better GM than Tangini.

Based on what body of work as a GM? What percentage of players that he's drafted have been productive players and what type of cap manager is he? From what I've seen (and shown) he's absolute garbage. Tangini has been above average at the very least.

I prefer the young guys and the long term approach. Parcells will come and go. Hopefully, the Jets FO is in this for the long haul and once it gets going the Jets will compete and be strong every year.

Why even ask? How could Parcells have anything to do with the Jets at this point? Are we that desperate for topics?

So a team that goes 4-12 in year two, going into year 3 is worse than in year one, and yet Tangini has done a good job? Come on now.

Drafting good players also means building a winning team. 4-12 in Year two means you didn't do a very good job at building a winning team. And how have the free agents worked out for the Jets?

I'd take Parcells any day. People credit Parcells all the time and bash Herm for living off his coattails. Yet when you mention Tanni or Mangini it's assumed they are doing the right thing. Yeah so far it sure doesn't look like it. The object is to win games, not lose 12 games.

I'd take a guy who makes the playoffs and gives the team a chance over a regime who takes the team to 4 wins in Year two.

Based on what body of work as a GM? What percentage of players that he's drafted have been productive players and what type of cap manager is he? From what I've seen (and shown) he's absolute garbage. Tangini has been above average at the very least.

Tangini's record is 14-18 and if it weren't for the inept Dolphins giving them 4 regular season cupcake wins their record would be even worse. How the *uck is that above average at the very least?

The 2006 draft was extremely overrated. They had a much better draft this year but the Thomas Jones trade was a bust and the Jets have a 4-12 record this year to show for it.

Parcells rebuilt the Jets in the late 90's into a competitive team and built the Cowboys into a very good team that should still be playing.

Name me one good free agent signing Tangini has made. Just one. Please. I want to hear it.

Archived