Jonathan Vilma trade rumors (Merged 4x)

TaborJet

Quote from the NY Daily News 2.21.08:

JETTING OFF? LB Jonathan Vilma admits on his Web site that he's in the dark about his future with the Jets. "As for playing in 2008, I have no idea what is in store for me as far as what the Jets are thinking," he writes. Vilma, who has one year remaining on his contract, could be dangled in trade talks, perhaps as soon as this weekend at the scouting combine in Indianapolis. Three months removed from major knee surgery, he says he has started jogging and hopes to be sprinting in about a month. Vilma, rehabbing in Miami, visited team doctors last week and "things went well." He expects to be 100% by training camp in July.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quote from the NY Daily News 2.21.08:

JETTING OFF? LB Jonathan Vilma admits on his Web site that he's in the dark about his future with the Jets. "As for playing in 2008, I have no idea what is in store for me as far as what the Jets are thinking," he writes. Vilma, who has one year remaining on his contract, could be dangled in trade talks, perhaps as soon as this weekend at the scouting combine in Indianapolis. Three months removed from major knee surgery, he says he has started jogging and hopes to be sprinting in about a month. Vilma, rehabbing in Miami, visited team doctors last week and "things went well." He expects to be 100% by training camp in July.

I think he'll leave but wouldn't be surprised if he ended up staying TBH.

Mangini obviously loves him.

I think he'll leave but wouldn't be surprised if he ended up staying TBH.

Mangini obviously loves him.

Well what seems apparent, though he would be due, is that the Jets have expressed no interest in extending him. You don't just let a mediocre player who has trade value linger for a year. The team isn't any better with him than without him (he gets WAYYYYYY over-glorified here for being better than he was, even in a 4-3). Makes little sense to rent him for one more year instead of a draft pick unless, simply, no one is offering anything.

I think he'd be a great 4/3 LB but alas his talents are being wasted here. I think both he AND the Jets would benefit if a deal for him can be worked out. ::GoJets:

I agree

There is almost no way he will resign with the Jets after this season, He would be stupid to,

I hate to see him go, He is a class act, and a very good MLB.............in the 4-3

It is a win win situation for both sides to have him traded. He will never fulfill his potential in the 3-4.

Well what seems apparent, though he would be due, is that the Jets have expressed no interest in extending him. You don't just let a mediocre player who has trade value linger for a year. The team isn't any better with him than without him (he gets WAYYYYYY over-glorified here for being better than he was, even in a 4-3). Makes little sense to rent him for one more year instead of a draft pick unless, simply, no one is offering anything.

right, thats why he was defensive rookie of the year a few years back, cause he is highly over-rated

how do you trade someone who will not even be able to sprint for another month? if you trade damaged goods you get less in return...he is not costly I can see him playing out this year with the Jets

They are not trading him now. If he moves it will probably be on or about draft day. That's still a couple of months away. I'm not sure how much Mangini likes him. He's sure invested a lot in ILB for a guy alleged to be in love with Vilma.

how do you trade someone who will not even be able to sprint for another month? if you trade damaged goods you get less in return...he is not costly I can see him playing out this year with the Jets

He is going to be 100% for Traning Camp, apparently. Teams will have their own doctors evaluate him and if it is confirmed that he would be 100% or close to it for camp, teams will trade a Day 1 draft pick for him. That is what the Jets should be seeking. A second or third round draft pick. If its a third maybe, a Day 2 pick as well.

There is no reason to keep him for 2008.

Either its get something now or get nothing.

Looking at what has been given to other "marquee" players not sure he is first day bait...what did the Eagles give up to get Spikes who is a much better LB than Vilma?

Spikes was coming off a worse injury than Vilma if Vilma can have surgery in November and be back to 100% for Training Camp. Plus, Spikes was older when his trade occured (30 years old).

The trade was Spikes and Kelly Holcomb for Darwin Walker. Holcomb ended up then being traded to Minnesota and Walker was sent back for a draft pick that I cannot remember what it was, and then was dealt to Chicago.

my point is what has Vilma really proved in the NFL? he can make a zillion tackles on bad teams? he is a name at this point. So what that being said he needs to prove he is fully healthy and then maybe he can go to a team like Cincy..but it would be for a 4th rounder or so.

He's proved that in the 43 he can be effective and make plays. He was very deserving of his Pro Bowl birth and his ROTY award, both received while playing in the 43. That, and a team like the Bengals are very, very hungry at the position and should be willing to part with a 3rd round pick for a guy like Vilma and his history in the 43.

There is no reason in my mind that the Jets can't get a 3rd round pick for him. No reason at all. I'd like to think they could talk a team into a type of deal where the Jets receive that teams 2nd round pick and the Jets give them, along with Vilma, a 5th or 6th round pick.

He is going to be 100% for Traning Camp, apparently. Teams will have their own doctors evaluate him and if it is confirmed that he would be 100% or close to it for camp, teams will trade a Day 1 draft pick for him. That is what the Jets should be seeking. A second or third round draft pick. If its a third maybe, a Day 2 pick as well.

There is no reason to keep him for 2008.

Either its get something now or get nothing.

We can get a first round pick for him.... If doug jolley can get one..so can he....

They are not trading him now. If he moves it will probably be on or about draft day. That's still a couple of months away. I'm not sure how much Mangini likes him. He's sure invested a lot in ILB for a guy alleged to be in love with Vilma.

Faba, You're mistaken!

He could be the very thing we could dangle to get the 3rd pick without loosing anything else but our 6th - Especially if at this weekend's combine the Raiders get that pick!

- Then let the negotiations for Chris LONG begin!

Guys

Get off the Crack pipe

No team will offer ANYTHING for a player coming off MAJOR KNEE SURGERY.....NO TEAM

That being said, the best thing for the Jets to do is see if he comes back and plays at a high level. If so, we can franchise, or tender an offer next year

But the smart thing here is to wait and see

Faba, You're mistaken!

He could be the very thing we could dangle to get the 3rd pick without loosing anything else but our 6th - Especially if at this weekend's combine the Raiders get that pick!

Thats nice but first the raiders would love to get howies boy... second... Chris Long is not a defensive Back!!!

Guys

Get off the Crack pipe

No team will offer ANYTHING for a player coming off MAJOR KNEE SURGERY.....NO TEAM

That being said, the best thing for the Jets to do is see if he comes back and plays at a high level. If so, we can franchise, or tender an offer next year

Do you understand what cleaning out bone chips is?? It is not major knee surgery. Microfracture is major knee surgery. I've been working in an orthopedics lab and PT rehab center for 2 years know and have seen just about every knee injury there is and this is not a bad one by any means, especially for a pro athlete with all the treatment in the world. It's also one of those things where you can come back even more healthy, if the doctors check him out, which they can now to see how he's healing etc. than i fully expect him to go for a 2nd. You guys will call me crazy, but this is my guarantee, if he gets traded this offseason it will be for atleast a 2nd.

Faba, You're mistaken!

Do you understand what cleaning out bone chips is?? It is not major knee surgery. Microfracture is major knee surgery. I've been working in an orthopedics lab and PT rehab center for 2 years know and have seen just about every knee injury there is and this is not a bad one by any means, especially for a pro athlete with all the treatment in the world. It's also one of those things where you can come back even more healthy, if the doctors check him out, which they can now to see how he's healing etc. than i fully expect him to go for a 2nd. You guys will call me crazy, but this is my guarantee, if he gets traded this offseason it will be for atleast a 2nd.

Second wouldnt be bad.. but like i said before.. we gave up a first round pick for Doug Jolley... ya telling me we cant get a first round pick for Vilma? maybe even a team later on... like the cowboys or giants packers?

my point is what has Vilma really proved in the NFL? he can make a zillion tackles on bad teams? he is a name at this point. So what that being said he needs to prove he is fully healthy and then maybe he can go to a team like Cincy..but it would be for a 4th rounder or so.

valid point that Vilma may just be a name, but in this league sometimes that is all it takes. Randy Moss is the exception to the rule, but he was coming off issues where character was the question, which will never enter the conversation with Vilma and the Bengals.

Imagine you are Bengals, you have tons of trouble with the law with about 5 starting players. That's a quater of your starting team seeing jail time. What would you pay for one of the most upstanding people in the NFL? Vilma is of great character, and some believe (i'm on the fence on this) that he is an all-pro linebacker in the 43.

Someone will pay the king's ransom for this guy, and all signs point to Cincinati.

Faba, You're mistaken!

? First of all, I'm not Faba. Second of all (as Toon points out) your sig is wrong. Chris Long is a DE, not a DB. Third, there is an excellent chance that #3 isn't going to do it for Long. IMO he will go 1st or 2nd. The Rams seem to have a hard on for him and most of their fans are convinced he won't even be there when they pick.

Second wouldnt be bad.. but like i said before.. we gave up a first round pick for Doug Jolley... ya telling me we cant get a first round pick for Vilma? maybe even a team later on... like the cowboys or giants packers?

Delusional. First of all Jolley was a trade down. Just like Thomas Jones. It was the equivalent of a third. Second of all, the fact that a stupid trade occurred in the past does not mean that anybody will be that stupid again. If anything it discourages people from making similar moves. I am telling you that we can't get a first round pick for Vilma coming off an injury and with only one year left on his deal. It's all about the contract. Why would anybody give up a first for a one year rental on Vilma?

right, thats why he was defensive rookie of the year a few years back, cause he is highly over-rated

The trouble with that argument is that while the award is an honor, its no guarantee that a player wont end up being average or slightly above average. Go back and look at the list sometimes. Along with great players you'll find the names of a few duds. You win the award for being the best rookie on defense in a year, not the best defensive player in a year. You are only competing against rookies and one big advantage is being on a sucky team like the Jets where you get to play from day 1 (Demeco Ryans in 06 was another good example).

DROY is not a reason to hang on to a guy with some injury issues and who hasnt played very well the last two seasons.

The time to trade Vilma was last off season. He would have had value then. The Jets will either trade him for less this off season or play him and then see him walk at the end of the season.

If Mangini doesnt get at least a 2nd for Vilma the teams handling of him is another in the growing list of personell mistakes this FO and coaching staff have made.

Just a thought but isn't Ray Lewis due a large bonus this off season, and Vilma would thrive in their 4-3. The ravens also need a QB, what about Pennington and Vilma for a draft pick or two. Now I have done no homework on this idea so it may just be a mute point.

Sounds good to me... I think Chad and Coles to the vikes for there first round pick... they can use both and makes the most sense..

#1. Vilma's knee surgery was not that major.

#2. Linebackers have been dealt before and given big contracts before after knee injuries.

I am so tired of hearing that Vilma is damaged and yada yada yada. This was not a torn acl / pcl / mcl type injury. Relax. He was not hurt that badly if in four months he's running full speed and if by June / July he's ready to play NFL football at 100 percent. Enough already. Teams will trade for him as soon as they see him workout next month / into April.

He will be dangled around all week at the Combine and teams will express interest and will want to see more when he's ready to run in March.

Nobody thought a RUNNING BACK coming off of what Willis McGahee was coming off of, would be selected in Round 1. Look how that one turned out.

JonE, back to the Baseball forum.;)

One scenario in which I may be happy with keeping Vilma is if we brought in a monter NT to help free up room for the LB's. As bad as Vilma was he was still playing behind a pitiful front 3. If we could get someone like Shaun Rogers to take up blockers Vilma could be effective again. If not he needs to go.

Guys

Get off the Crack pipe

I agree with this. We are in the drivers seat here. Just because Vilma's deal is up doesn't mean we can't franchise him and then trade him next year. His trade value will go up at that point just because he won't be rehabbing an injury like he is now and especially if Mangini can get him to look usefull and healthy out there in 2008.

Totally agree. And I was happy when they picked him. I loved his speed. It is all horizontal though. Awful blitzer, never a negative yardage guy. You would think with his quickness he would slip through for some plays. They have to unload him. If he is not going to be on the field (and he should not be) he has to be moved. He says he will be sprinting by spring so the injury should not hold things up. I just pray someone is interested. Some of the posters here think people will be drooling for him. I do not. If we get a 3 I will be giddy.

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Friday, February 22nd 2008, 4:00 AM

amd_vilma.jpg

Jonathan Vilma

Jonathan Vilma's days with the Jets are numbered.

The popular linebacker, whose star has dimmed in two seasons under Eric Mangini, has received permission from the Jets to shop himself for a potential trade, the Daily News has learned. It doesn't mean a trade is a certainty, but it's a tacit acknowledgement from both sides that Vilma and Mangini's 3-4 scheme aren't a match.

Vilma, with one year remaining on his rookie contract, also is looking for a long-term deal. Now, with the Jets' blessing, he has the ability to speak with any team. If he agrees to a new contract, it will be up to that team and the Jets to negotiate trade compensation. The Jets could keep him, but they know they won't receive anything next year if he bolts as a free agent. A team spokeman declined comment.

It's unclear what the Jets are seeking, but there's no doubt that Vilma's value took a hit because of major knee surgery last November. Vilma has started jogging and hopes to be running full speed in about a month, he wrote this week on his Web site. If he can show he's healthy before the April 26 draft, it will greatly enhance his stock. Sources believe the Jets could get a third-round pick, perhaps slightly higher, for a healthy Vilma.

The Jaguars and Saints are believed to be among the potential suitors. The Saints have made no secret of their desire to acquire a middle linebacker, as they've already made an offer to former Dolphin Zach Thomas. Former Jets defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson was recently hired by the Jaguars as an assistant, which explains their interest.

Under Henderson, who ran a 4-3 defense, Vilma was named the NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year in 2004. In 2005, he made the Pro Bowl as an alternate, looking like one of the Jets' best first-round picks in years.

When Mangini arrived in 2006 and switched to a 3-4, Vilma's production suffered. Hiding his frustration, at least publicly, he vowed to adapt his sideline-to-sideline style into the more restrictive 3-4 scheme. But he got off to a slow start and suffered a mysterious knee injury in the seventh game, sidelining him for the remainder of the season.

Neither Vilma nor the club explained the nature of the injury, but it was related to a pre-existing condition that required complicated surgery. In the meantime, rookie David Harris flourished in Vilma's role as the defensive signal-caller. In fact, the overall defense improved with Harris in the lineup on a full-time basis.

Mangini was vague yesterday when discussing Vilma at the scouting combine in Indianapolis. He said Vilma is "making some good progress" in his rehab, but when asked if he still considers Vilma a starter, Mangini replied, "It's one of those things where you're going to have to evaluate it as we go and hope everything works out. But Jon's a good player. He's a smart player. He's been very productive for us and he's incredibly competitive."

Vilma's agent, Mitch Frankel, was traveling to the combine and couldn't be reached for comment. Vilma, on his Web site, said he hasn't heard anything from the club with regard to his future.

Looks like he is definitely out then. Hopefully the Jags or The Saints (or whoever) are really desperate, I still believe JV has decent trade value and could bring in something decent. I liked Vilma and do wish him all the best wherever he goes, he obviously gave 100% for his franchise and whether I thought he played well or not I knew he was giving it his all. He was never going to reach his potential and hopefully elsewhere he can (except when playing the Jets of course;-)).

If he does indeed go to Jacksonville, I think he will be amazing. That maybe the best situation possible for Jonathan, Playing behind Henderson and Stroud. He would have lots of free space with those two taking up blockers.

Then it'll be a decent draft pick or nothing at all. A team who comes to an agreement on a long-term deal with Vilma clearly sees him as having major value & isn't concerned about the knee. So they'd have difficulty trying to justify a low pick b/c of the knee & then give him big money in a long-term deal.

Archived