Jonathan Vilma trade rumors (Merged 4x)

TaborJet

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
my guess is Long will show up around 270 and be a 3-4 OLB like Vrabel. A pass rusher, not a 3-4 down lineman.

One of the defenders goes to Miami (Ellis or Chris Long or Dorsey)

Jets take McFadden

Matt Ryan goes to Falcons

Raiders take the other defender

Chiefs take Jake Long

The Rams can either get Ellis, Chris Long or Dorsey plus Vilma. That's not bad to start a defense with.

its because of everything you just said that we are not successful. no one should give a **** about character. we want players

Really thats why the Giants finally won a Super Bowl when their two worst characters (Tiki Barber, Jeremy Shockey) weren't playing any more?

One of the defenders goes to Miami (Ellis or Chris Long or Dorsey)

Jets take McFadden

Matt Ryan goes to Falcons

Raiders take the other defender

Chiefs take Jake Long

The Rams can either get Ellis, Chris Long or Dorsey plus Vilma. That's not bad to start a defense with.

Dude we get it. You want McFadden. Enough already.

vilma plus 6 for Chris Long would be a sweet deal. Chris Long was tailor made for this team and this defense.

I have to agree. They are overpaying for Vilma and we get the player who best fits our 3-4. Keeping Vilma has almost zero upside unless someone will offer more and I think we all agree the JETS won't get better value. Long has the pedigree, the intangibles Tangini love and experienced in the 3-4. It will have to be a draft day deal as someone said the Tuna may want the same guy. If the Long is the there and the offer is legit they have to make the deal.

FWIW this is the second rumor of the JETS and Rams swapping picks. See link below. Could be that someone is just trying to inflate the value.

"Floating my own shameless rumor: Rams trade this slot to the Jets for the #6 pick and Laveraneus Coles, and the Jets take Chris Long here with the Rams still able to get Jake Long at #6"

http://www.realgmfootball.com/src_feature_article/78/20080129/2008_nfl_mock_draft_version_30/

All of this trade up talk is interesting.

Now, I'm callin' shenanigans on this trade "rumor" cause it just sounds like a ****ty deal for us.

But for fun, I'll play:

Moving from 6 to 2 means there are three teams the Jets want to skip over to get their guy. Pre coin-toss means the order isn't set; but that doesn't matter because we leap-frog all of them.

This would mean we want a guy that might not make it past Atlanta, Oakland, and Kansas City.

Atlanta: Getting a QB makes sense. But, if this D-Hall to NYG rumor is true they might go for Ellis, Dorsey or McFadden. Getting the #31 pick from the G-men ensures them one of the lower-tier QBs, who in this class, might turn out to be just as good. I can see them scoring Brohm at #31, or Flacco, or Henne... and feeling just fine about it.

So that means the Jets might want to secure the "premier" RB of this class (Fav-Toon, you're welcome) or one of the best DTs.

Oakland: They are also pegged to get a DT or RB. The Fargas deal doesn't mean squat to me, (1) Its only a 3-year deal, and (2) Having multiple backs doesn't hurt. However, Sapp is leaving town, and the #5 ranked Defense of '06 became a pourous turn-stile for RB in '07. OAK getting a run-stopper makes sense. Once again, McFadden, Ellis and Dorsey seem likely targets. However, in Oakland's case, a certain ex-Raider might influence a particular owner into getting a versatile, high motor-type. So Chris Long also becomes an option at #4.

Kansas City: KC drafted two highly-touted DTs last year, ('Tank' Tyler, and Turk McBride) So I can't really see them going after this year's "cream of the defensive-tackle crop". Nor can I see McFadden finding a place to play on this roster right now with LJ back. Their offense last year was similar to our '05 squad; burdened by OL injuries. So I can see them going after a premier LT, like Jake Long. Bradie Croyle may, or may not be the long term answer, but similar to Kellen; I think judgement will be reserved after an improved OL is set into motion.

So we must want one of:

McFadden, Long, Long, Ellis, or Dorsey

Which is news to me (having Gholston stuck on the brain). Of the five, Chris Long and Sedrick Ellis make the most sense to me. But neither would have the easy transition onto our squad that you'd like the #2 pick to have. Dorsey wouldn't fit... And Jake Long (who would undeniable be moved to RT) would be way too high for that position to be drafted. Means we are hoping forMcFadden, or Ellis or Chris Long.

Either of which I'd be okay with; in which case, one would surely drop to us at 6. Meaning this whole trade scenario is a bunch of bull ****.

Shenanigans. ;)

I just can't see this trade going down. Not the 2nd for the 6th anyway.

It doesn't make sense.

Long is the only player they could be interested in there.

It is a real possibility that Miami would take him.

If Vilma has been given permission to talk to other teams and that is possible, the Rams 2nd round pick is much more likely.

I like that trade better anyhow..

I just can't see this trade going down. Not the 2nd for the 6th anyway.

It doesn't make sense.

Long is the only player they could be interested in there.

It is a real possibility that Miami would take him.

If Vilma has been given permission to talk to other teams and that is possible, the Rams 2nd round pick is much more likely.

I like that trade better anyhow..

If we didnt have to win a meangles game atthe end of the season..we wouldnt even have to spend a vilma to move up cause we would already be there..

(LB Jonathan Vilma) has received permission from the Jets to shop himself for a potential trade, the Daily News has learned.

I know the possibility of a trade has been talked about before on this board, but just thought some may find this interesting.

And if this has been posted already, I aplogize, I couldnt find it.

This is great. It makes so much sense for everybody. Even a third round pick is a starter on the Jets. Sad but true.

actually, cimini is wrong. vilma doesn't walk away for nothing, the jets get a compensatory pick for losing a FA. if vilma signed a big contract as a FA the jets could recoup a 3rd rd pick for him.

if i was the jets i would take a 3rd or better this year.

As much as I love Vilma and would love to keep him on the team, he is an all-star MLB but only in the 4-3 system, and if Mangini will not implement it then i think we will have to see him out.

I think Mangini has to trade him or change the system, which wouldn't be that bad, cause it seems we are still better suited to a 4-3. I would love to be proven wrong, but I just don't see Vilma with the size and strength to play solid ILB in a 3-4.

actually, cimini is wrong. vilma doesn't walk away for nothing, the jets get a compensatory pick for losing a FA. if vilma signed a big contract as a FA the jets could recoup a 3rd rd pick for him.

if i was the jets i would take a 3rd or better this year.

That is true only if we don't add any FAs. If we lose Vilma but sign a FA, we get nothing for him.

Still, those picks come at the end of the round, so it's literally the crappiest 3rd round pick you could get, and still, I beleive some comp picks come after rounds 4, 5, 6 and 7.

That is true only if we don't add any FAs. If we lose Vilma but sign a FA, we get nothing for him.

Still, those picks come at the end of the round, so it's literally the crappiest 3rd round pick you could get, and still, I beleive some comp picks come after rounds 4, 5, 6 and 7.

You are right. Plus, the pick would come a year later and should be appropriately discounted.

Sorry if this was posted already...

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2008/02/22/2008-02-22_jonathan_vilma_can_fly_away.html?ref=rss

Jonathan Vilma can fly away

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Friday, February 22nd 2008, 4:00 AM

Jonathan Vilma Weissman for News

Jonathan Vilma

Jonathan Vilma's days with the Jets are numbered.

The popular linebacker, whose star has dimmed in two seasons under Eric Mangini, has received permission from the Jets to shop himself for a potential trade, the Daily News has learned. It doesn't mean a trade is a certainty, but it's a tacit acknowledgement from both sides that Vilma and Mangini's 3-4 scheme aren't a match.

Vilma, with one year remaining on his rookie contract, also is looking for a long-term deal. Now, with the Jets' blessing, he has the ability to speak with any team. If he agrees to a new contract, it will be up to that team and the Jets to negotiate trade compensation. The Jets could keep him, but they know they won't receive anything next year if he bolts as a free agent. A team spokeman declined comment.

It's unclear what the Jets are seeking, but there's no doubt that Vilma's value took a hit because of major knee surgery last November. Vilma has started jogging and hopes to be running full speed in about a month, he wrote this week on his Web site. If he can show he's healthy before the April 26 draft, it will greatly enhance his stock. Sources believe the Jets could get a third-round pick, perhaps slightly higher, for a healthy Vilma.

The Jaguars and Saints are believed to be among the potential suitors. The Saints have made no secret of their desire to acquire a middle linebacker, as they've already made an offer to former Dolphin Zach Thomas. Former Jets defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson was recently hired by the Jaguars as an assistant, which explains their interest.

Under Henderson, who ran a 4-3 defense, Vilma was named the NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year in 2004. In 2005, he made the Pro Bowl as an alternate, looking like one of the Jets' best first-round picks in years.

When Mangini arrived in 2006 and switched to a 3-4, Vilma's production suffered. Hiding his frustration, at least publicly, he vowed to adapt his sideline-to-sideline style into the more restrictive 3-4 scheme. But he got off to a slow start and suffered a mysterious knee injury in the seventh game, sidelining him for the remainder of the season.

Neither Vilma nor the club explained the nature of the injury, but it was related to a pre-existing condition that required complicated surgery. In the meantime, rookie David Harris flourished in Vilma's role as the defensive signal-caller. In fact, the overall defense improved with Harris in the lineup on a full-time basis.

Mangini was vague yesterday when discussing Vilma at the scouting combine in Indianapolis. He said Vilma is "making some good progress" in his rehab, but when asked if he still considers Vilma a starter, Mangini replied, "It's one of those things where you're going to have to evaluate it as we go and hope everything works out. But Jon's a good player. He's a smart player. He's been very productive for us and he's incredibly competitive."

Vilma's agent, Mitch Frankel, was traveling to the combine and couldn't be reached for comment. Vilma, on his Web site, said he hasn't heard anything from the club with regard to his future.

Archived