Jets to pursue Faneca - TFYDraft.com

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys ready for this?

Trade Sean Ellis for Shaun Rogers. Pick up Asante Samuels. Draft Gholston in the first.

Defense is done and done.

Pick up Alan Faneca. Draft Eric Young in the second. Draft the best WR available at the top of the third.

Offense is done and done.

If Vilma leaves via trade~ turn him into the best available RB.

:character0282: That's Money, Bitches

To compete again? I agree. Fixing this Offensive Line would add a couple of wins onto our 2007 win total easily. Still need to find a third receiver and some players for the front seven on defense though.

Letting go of Robertson and picking up Rubin from Iowa in Round 3 would be a steal. Team him with Pouha and we have a legit Nose Tackle rotation.

As far as NT goes, Frank Okam of Texas would be a great fit here if we can get him in rds 2 or 3.

Plus, if we get Faneca, it would allow us to take Gholsten without hesitation in rd 1 and somebody like Hardy or Sweed should be available in rd 2.

Just that could probably get us into playoff contention. Of course, just that isnt going to be all that easy, lol.

Most draft experts (aka people who get paid to speculate and are smarter than all of us) have McFadden rated as #1 or #2 prospect in this draft. That is why he'd be worth the 6th pick.

And in 98 all those people had Ryan Leaf as the #1 or #2 QB. That is why the Chargers decided to pick him ahead of Manning. How'd that turn out? The same people called Dewayne Robertson the next Warren Sapp and Dbrck the best LT since Orlando Pace. So far, neither of those have panned out to be true either.

Anyway, even if Mcfadden is the best RB in this draft, doesn't mean he'd help this team as much as another player that will be available at the 6th pick.

How do you know Mcfadden is worth the 6th pick in the draft?

Thats a rediculus question. Hindsite is the only way to determine if anyone was worth the draft pick used on them.

There isn't a person in the draft that you can say 100% is "worth" the 6th pick in the draft

And in 98 all those people had Ryan Leaf as the #1 or #2 QB. That is why the Chargers decided to pick him ahead of Manning. How'd that turn out? The same people called Dewayne Robertson the next Warren Sapp and Dbrck the best LT since Orlando Pace. So far, neither of those have panned out to be true either.

Anyway, even if Mcfadden is the best RB in this draft, doesn't mean he'd help this team as much as another player that will be available at the 6th pick.

I understand the draft is a crap shoot. But if you gotta trust someones opinion, I'll trust the guys who are paid to pour over hours upon hours of game tape to handicap the draft.

MEL KIPER JRs has McFadden ranked 1:

1. *Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas (6-foot-1, 208) | Previous: Same

The reasons for his dynamic performances throughout his career are excellent vision, very good balance, game-breaking speed and a passion for the game.

I understand the draft is a crap shoot. But if you gotta trust someones opinion, I'll trust the guys who are paid to pour over hours upon hours of game tape to handicap the draft.

The reasons for his dynamic performances throughout his career are excellent vision, very good balance, game-breaking speed and a passion for the game.

My point is that its hard to judge a player against everybody else overall. Yes, Mcfadden may be a great RB for some teams in this league, for others he'll be a bust and a waste of a pick. In the draft teams pick players based on what they have already and what they need. Thats why I dont trust too many 'draft experts' who judge the players but not the teams around them.

I'm tired of people saying the draft is a crap shoot, a crap shoot is just blindly choosing someone and hoping they pan out. The draft isn't an exact science, but hell even "science isn't an exact science," but an art. It's not pure luck that the lions have one of the worst drafts year in and year out, the rams draft guys that are pure UTs or 34 DEs to play out of position as a 43 NT and have troubles with their dline and teams like the colts and pats have succesfull drafts. Talent evaluation is a skill/art and is something our FO (clinksales and mangini) have been very effective at the last two years and i expect them to do good things. *I'm not sure if you remember, but the bills GM a couple years ago was found on tape saying "Mel Kiper...WHo is that" basically saying that this guy isn't privied to anything extra that GMs and NFL talent scouts and is relatively insignificant compared to a teams GM and talent evaluators (he is the godfather of the mock draft though so you can't bash him). They are the ones getting payed to evaluate the talent; Mel Kiper's job is too sell his website or magazine or whatever and he does so by backing players rising up the board and giving crazy mock drafts up until a couple weeks before the draft in order to create a buzz so people look at his stuff.

If you guys have watched McFadden you realize everything mayock said is dead on. Yes he is a great athlete with fantastic speed and good vision, but you can't ignore the fact that his lower body is a weak part of his game. When he gets hit, he doesn't bounce off like AD does and keep trucking; in all fairness only a few backs in the NFL can run like AD, but the point is he does have flaws to his game and just because some draft "experts" have him as #1 overall doesn't mean he is the #1 on our teams' draft boards. Look at Donte whitner in the past, no mock "experts" had him going that high, but Mayock, obviously the bills and a few other NFL teams. It's apparant that the teams obviously know more about the players, because they can give them the evaluations, see all their medical exams etc.

What is that, Lunesta? Nitol?

the jets could get faneca and flozell for the same price as samuel. if they cut "the bowling ball with butcher knives", chadwick, and mccairens they have enough $ to sign faneca, flozell, and pace. they can then draft the BAP, or if htey think ellis can play NT in the 3-4 they can get him at 6. that off-season would probably make this team a competitor next year.

the jets could get faneca and flozell for the same price as samuel. if they cut "the bowling ball with butcher knives", chadwick, and mccairens they have enough $ to sign faneca, flozell, and pace. they can then draft the BAP, or if htey think ellis can play NT in the 3-4 they can get him at 6. that off-season would probably make this team a competitor next year.

I'd be just as happy keeping Drob and Chad; and signing one of Flozell OR Faneca.

OG Eric Young (who EM is excited about) or one of the falling OTs (Cherilous, Nicks, Baker, Otah, Williams, Clady) can be drafted at the top of the second... I don't think all six tackles will be taken in the first.

Damnit I really liked Andrews a whole lot. Faneca I'm very worried about. He's the type of signing that could turn into an absolute disaster, a signing that can keep a terrible team terrible for years. The Steelers weren't exactly setting the league on fire last year. I suppose no matter how bad Faneca is now he can't be as bad as Clarke...but...Faneca is like 270 or something, and Brick is like 290. That is pretty much the smallest left side you can find, even smaller than the Broncos who make up for it by just chop blocking.

I agree. I had heard the same thing about Faneca. He's listed over 300, but I heard he doesn't even come to camp over 290 and loses weight as the season goes on. That's mostly rumors from Pittsburgh sites, but nobody was speculating that Dwayne White was underweight. OTOH, didn't we hire Callahan to come in and teach them how to chop block? ;)

Clarke WAS the worst guard I have ever seen play the game of football. Leave it up to our jets to start a clown like that when we have rookies and 3rd stringers that have more talent. Just a fat slow waste of space was Clarke. Oh yeah and he single handedly about got Kellen killed in that first play against the pats in their 2nd meeting. Where we all know we woulda had a better chance with Kellen in there to give us a better look against NE.

Worst guard ever? You have a very short memory. Remember the third preseason game when Bender started there? I think Tuck had three sacks in the first drive. They benched the guy and he was basically never heard from again. A sixth round pick playing out of position and he disgraced himself badly enough that I never saw his face or jersey again. Clarke was a horror and the Jets (and I) knew it before they traded Kendall or they wouldn't have started that RT project over there during the preseason, but Bender was much, much worse.

Why draft Gholston if you're picking up Pace?

With everybody screaming about the "lessons the Giants have taught us" as if we should be studying from a 10-6 team, the shotgun approach has some merit. You can never have too many pass rushers. Even if we get them all it's quite likely that most will be useless - see Bryan Thomas and Shaun Ellis.

I agree. I had heard the same thing about Faneca. He's listed over 300, but I heard he doesn't even come to camp over 290 and loses weight as the season goes on. That's mostly rumors from Pittsburgh sites, but nobody was speculating that Dwayne White was underweight. OTOH, didn't we hire Callahan to come in and teach them how to chop block? ;)

A lot of Pittsburgh fans said a lot of negative things about Faneca this season and I can assure you that most of them are pure BS. A lot would be bitter that he was leaving (they knew he was gone) much like a lot of Jet fans bad mouthed Kendall when he was leaving.

I watched a lot of Steelers games this year and Faneca was by far their best O-lineman (not saying much I know). He's not great in pass protection but solid, in run blocking he's simply spectacular and also great at pulling from left to right (his agility makes him a weapon on screen plays too, imagine that with D'Brick too).

I wouldn't listen to Pittsburgh fans too much TBH.

They are gonna be forced to give him much more than he's worth.

"Worth" is relative. His worth to the Jets in replacing Adrien Clarke, upgrading the running game, improving the pass protection and mentoring Mangold and D'Brick is extremely high.

A lot of Pittsburgh fans said a lot of negative things about Faneca this season and I can assure you that most of them are pure BS. A lot would be bitter that he was leaving (they knew he was gone) much like a lot of Jet fans bad mouthed Kendall when he was leaving.

I watched a lot of Steelers games this year and Faneca was by far their best O-lineman (not saying much I know). He's not great in pass protection but solid, in run blocking he's simply spectacular and also great at pulling from left to right (his agility makes him a weapon on screen plays too, imagine that with D'Brick too).

I wouldn't listen to Pittsburgh fans too much TBH.

I watched about three Steelers games this year and I was not impressed. I spent at least one specifically looking at him and didn't see anything to get too excited about. Nothing bad about the guy, he did not get blown up, but he's not a player I'd be looking to throw big money at either. If we didn't have a gaping hole at LG nobody would even think about him. If we still had Pete Kendall would anybody want to give this guy a big contract? I certainly don't think he's above 290 pounds. Look at him.

Steelers fans seem more realistic than Jets fans (everybody is either awesome or awful) in my experience.

If he was healthy, he would put Moore right on the bench. Second round pick an OT, the Jets go from one of the worst OL to one of the best,

I am not sure about one of the best. It is possible, I am on board though -- the level of improvement would be huge.

I think of it like this. Right now the Offensive Line is the biggest problem on this team. If they were able to sign Faneca and take a RT in Round two, they would have a starting five that they would be very happy with.

That leaves them round one to actually take the best player available. You get a right tackle that can start on day one as well and they would be in MUCH better shape.

More of a Right Tackle prospect. He was horrible while playing Guard in the Preseason. Thank christ the coaching staff did not throw him in there during the Regular Season. He and Clement could battle for the RT job this Training Camp if the Jets cannot find their guy via the draft. There arn't many Tackle's left in Free Agency.

Ugh, that would be bad. BAD. If they go into camp next year with the battle being Clement\Bender that is not good. They need to upgrade this position.

I watched about three Steelers games this year and I was not impressed. I spent at least one specifically looking at him and didn't see anything to get too excited about. Nothing bad about the guy, he did not get blown up, but he's not a player I'd be looking to throw big money at either. If we didn't have a gaping hole at LG nobody would even think about him. If we still had Pete Kendall would anybody want to give this guy a big contract? I certainly don't think he's above 290 pounds. Look at him.

Steelers fans seem more realistic than Jets fans (everybody is either awesome or awful) in my experience.

I agree. D-Rob sh*tted on him in that Pittsburgh game for 2.5 sacks. I'm not in love with the idea of giving Faneca $70 million to just be a better than average Guard.

Jets are probably better off signing someone younger or trading down and drafting Albert or even draft Shuening in round 3.

Arizona is in the worst cap shape in the league right now. They are about 2M over.

VERY GOOD POINT.

What a player wants to do and what they end up doing are two different things. He wants to play in Az with his old coaches. He NEEDS to get paid.

Need trumps want just like paper beats rock!

I agree. D-Rob sh*tted on him in that Pittsburgh game for 2.5 sacks. I'm not in love with the idea of giving Faneca $70 million to just be a better than average Guard.

Jets are probably better off signing someone younger or trading down and drafting Albert or even draft Shuening in round 3.

Not all of those sacks were on or even involved faneca.

if we were able to draft albert and the BC offensive tackle i would be doing back flips. To do that we need draft day trades, or to unload the dead weight that is chad.

Archived