Berrian wants to get paid!/Jets are interested

InstantClassic

Berrian eyes more than Bears have offered

Free agency starts tonight, with receiver seeking Branch-like deal

February 28, 2008

BY BRAD BIGGS bbiggs@suntimes.com

Here's the bottom line for the Bears' attempt to re-sign wide receiver Bernard Berrian: Their most recent offer -- $8 million in bonus money in a five-year, $25 million package -- wasn't enough to get a deal done.

Free agency begins at 11 tonight, and Berrian is seeking a payday well in excess of that -- $24.5 million in the first three years of a contract -- though general manager Jerry Angelo last week called the Bears' offers to Berrian and linebacker Lance Briggs ''aggressive.''

It's unknown how much room the Bears have to improve that offer for Berrian, who is expected to be courted by the Minnesota Vikings. It's also unclear whether Berrian and agent Drew Rosenhaus will be able to get another team -- the Cleveland Browns, New York Jets, Oakland Raiders and San Francisco 49ers also are thought to be interested -- to meet his asking price, which probably would require a signing bonus of more than $12 million.

Berrian is aiming to top the six-year, $39 million deal former Super Bowl MVP Deion Branch received from the Seattle Seahawks last fall. That contract pays Branch $23 million in the first three years.

If the Bears don't step up and retain Berrian, it might create a scramble at Halas Hall to replace him with some experience on the depth chart. Angelo has said the focus of the team's offseason is to invest in its own players, and the Bears' success will be judged on their ability to keep Berrian and Briggs.

The Arizona Cardinals' Bryant Johnson doesn't have the speed the Bears would need in a replacement for Berrian. The Bears haven't shown interest in Marty Booker. The Jacksonville Jaguars traded for Troy Williamson to replace Ernest Wilford, so that shows what they think of Wilford.

The Houston Texans' Andre Davis fits the speed profile but has yet to put together a season like Berrian. Then there are castoffs such as the Jets' Justin McCareins, the Washington Redskins' Brandon Lloyd and the Kansas City Chiefs' Eddie Kennison, an ex-Bear.

Briggs is thought to be seeking $20 million guaranteed in a deal that will average more than $7 million annually. The Redskins tried to trade for him last year, but they reportedly are tightening their belt when it comes to free agency, perhaps the result of busting out on a few too many players.

The 49ers have been linked to Briggs since last fall. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers reportedly have $44 million in cap space, and the Cardinals could use an impact defensive player.

The Bears sent qualifying offers Wednesday to wide receiver Rashied Davis and safety Brandon McGowan, both restricted free agents. Davis was tendered at the low level of $927,000, and because he was not a draft pick, any team signing him to an offer sheet would not have to give the Bears a pick if the Bears opted not to match. He might be a good fit in San Francisco, where offensive coordinator Mike Martz is looking for multiple receivers.

It's unknown if the Bears tendered McGowan at $927,000 or at the intermediate level of $1.417 million, which would provide them with right of first refusal and a second-round pick as compensation. No team is going to swap a second-rounder for McGowan, but he might generate interest at the low level, considering he also was an undrafted free agent and the Bears would have only right of first refusal on an offer sheet.

The New York Giants' Gibril Wilson might be the most talented safety available in a thin free-agent market. Angelo called the class of safeties in the draft ''anemic.''

[-o<

Unless the Jets are planning to ship Coles out of town there is no reason to give Berrian that kind of money. He's not a starter in New York right now with Coles and Cotchery under contract. Ship out Coles and sign Berrian? Fine, why not. Keep Coles and sign Berrian? Stupid when you could find cheaper options. The Jets don't need a starting receiver, they just need a speed, slot number three receiver.

As long as he comes cheap i'll nail him to be our #3 guy

Well I don't know that I'd have sex with him to be our WR, but I like the whatever it takes attitude lol. JK ;)

Personally I am weary about guys like Berrian. Any WR who becomes the team's #1 target over the season is going to put up good numbers. When they get the spotlight though they tend to fade away. I don't feel Berrian is ever going to be a standout superstar WR, so there's no reason to pay him like one. We all saw what happened once Branch got his money and the attention.

Well I don't know that I'd have sex with him to be our WR, but I like the whatever it takes attitude lol. JK ;)

Personally I am weary about guys like Berrian. Any WR who becomes the team's #1 target over the season is going to put up good numbers. When they get the spotlight though they tend to fade away. I don't feel Berrian is ever going to be a standout superstar WR, so there's no reason to pay him like one. We all saw what happened once Branch got his money and the attention.

:bag: me haha i did not think about that sentence till i actally saw your reply haha

Apparently the Jets are interested in every single free agent on the market. Did the NFL agree to increase the roster size to 150 this offseason?

i gotta say though G-DNA-I like this approach a lot more than the one we've seen for the past 10 years of showing NO interest...we have to be pro-active we have a steep hill to climb now in our division-not only are we going up against Belichick but also Big Bill too and they are going to want to prove something

Unless the Jets are planning to ship Coles out of town there is no reason to give Berrian that kind of money. He's not a starter in New York right now with Coles and Cotchery under contract. Ship out Coles and sign Berrian? Fine, why not. Keep Coles and sign Berrian? Stupid when you could find cheaper options. The Jets don't need a starting receiver, they just need a speed, slot number three receiver.

Exactly, he only had 70 catches for 950 yards and 5 td's. He is wanting to get paid like an pro bowler and he's not.

Exactly, he only had 70 catches for 950 yards and 5 td's. He is wanting to get paid like an pro bowler and he's not.

The few times I've seen him play I've been very impressed with him. Is it really fair to judge a WRs #s when he has Rex Grossman throwing him the football and a RB averaging less than 4 YPC to open up the passing game. Numbers don't always tell the whole story.

i gotta say though G-DNA-I like this approach a lot more than the one we've seen for the past 10 years of showing NO interest...we have to be pro-active we have a steep hill to climb now in our division-not only are we going up against Belichick but also Big Bill too and they are going to want to prove something

Unfortunately, rumors in newspapers are one thing and actual signings are another. Hopefully thet will be very active, but I could certainly live without Berrian.

That's perfection.

Unfortunately, rumors in newspapers are one thing and actual signings are another. Hopefully thet will be very active, but I could certainly live without Berrian.

Berrian's style of football doesn't fit what we do-he's good on fly patterns and other long passes which we do like twice a month-get me Chad Johnson on the Jets and I'll be a happy clam-also has the board had any updates on Max's scoop about Chad and Coles to KC?

I'm with you. He's supposedly looking for around $24M over the first three. That's $8M per. Ouch. We'd save around $11M by dumping Coles, so it's not that bad, but it's not my first choice. I don't think I'm ready to jump up with that much cash for Berrian.

Weary? Young girls, they do get wooly...

I'd rather have Bryant Johnson personally. He's young, got size, experience, good hands and could be a solid #2 when cotchery moves to our #1. Yes, I know cotch isn't a true #1, so we'd essentially be playing with 2 young number 2's until we can find a legit #1. I honestly wouldn't expect that much of a dropoff in production from him to coles.

Archived