Herm Edwards waved to Bill Belichick's camera

Maxman

This is in the news thread but I think it deserves its own thread. Oh man...

4 years before scandal, Herm Edwards waved to Bill Belichick's camera

by Gary Myers

Sunday, March 2nd 2008, 4:00 AM

Herm Edwards is now in Kansas City and Donnie Henderson is now in Jacksonville, but they starred in a movie together in 2004 when they worked together with the Jets.

It was a Bill Belichick production called SpyGate: The Early Years.

And to show Belichick they were aware of his shenanigans, Edwards and Henderson looked right into the camera across the sideline and waved hello.

Years before Belichick had his video assistant turn the cameras on the Jets in the season opener last year that officially began SpyGate, he was illegally videotaping the Jets' defensive signals. Roger Goodell indicated Belichick was doing this at least as far back as 2000, when he arrived as the Patriots' coach.

Sources told the Daily News that early in a game against the Patriots four years ago, Edwards, in his fourth season as Jets coach, and Henderson, in his first year as the defensive coordinator, noticed a Patriots camera from the opposite sideline aimed at them to tape the defensive signals.

Edwards had made the proper adjustments before the game to avoid Belichick stealing the defensive signals. They went into the game knowing this was a practice Belichick employed and when they saw the camera, they put on a show. That story has been making the rounds in the league the last few days.

"I will leave that one alone," Edwards said from the Chiefs' offices. "No comment."

"I respectfully decline to comment on it," Henderson added from the Jaguars' offices.

This apparently was among the six tapes Belichick turned over to the league that Goodell had destroyed in September. Edwards is friends with Belichick and they speak often. Edwards apparently didn't think much was to be gained by the Patriots spying because he never turned in New England to the league office. The Patriots beat the Jets twice in 2004 - 13-7 in Foxborough and 23-7 at Giants Stadium.

The Daily News reported in September that the Jets were aware of Belichick's passion for videospying long before former Patriots assistant Eric Mangini switched sides in the Border War and became the Jets' coach.

"At times, we would wave at the guy that was filming over there," a member of that Jets staff said in September. "We just gave false signals and waved at the camera. I don't know if they picked up our signals or not. We didn't really worry about it too much."

At the Super Bowl, Goodell told the NFL Network, "One of the coaches was actually waving at the camera, so it's clear that teams, to me, recognize that taking signals from another team is something that they do, so they have very complex systems to make sure that they don't allow their plays to be intercepted."

The Jets compensated for Belichick's attempts to steal the signals by using a second coach, in addition to Henderson, to signal in the plays, with one of them relaying the real play and the other sending in a dummy signal. They also sent in plays by using the messenger system. And they occasionally called defensive formations using a number on a wristband worn by the middle linebacker. The wristband was changed every quarter.

SpyGate is going to haunt the NFL until Goodell finds a way to question former Pats video assistant Matt Walsh. If Walsh has tape of the Rams' walkthrough from the day before the Super Bowl six years ago, then newly hired assistant Dom Capers could be coaching the Patriots in 2008. But in discussing SpyGate with the Boston Globe a few weeks ago, Belichick denied he has ever taped another's team practice.

"In my entire coaching career, I've never seen another team's practice film prior to playing that team," Belichick said.

If Walsh has something that takes SpyGate to another level, it's time to see it. Give him whatever immunity he wants in return for producing evidence.

But doesn't Sen. Arlen Specter (R-Pa.) have better things to do with his time and our money? Can you imagine this getting as far as a congressional hearing with us, the taxpayers, paying the bill to bring Belichick to Capitol Hill? Goodell certainty made it seem like a cover-up when he had the Spygate evidence destroyed. To restore confidence that he's not just looking for this to go away, he must find out what Walsh has to say.

The part that I find interesting is this. Herm and Donnie knew Belly was doing this. So they had a 2nd coach sending in signals. They sent signals in with a player instead of calling them in and they changed wrist bands every quarter.

Yet people say that this did not give the Pats an advantage.

Granted this is a bad example with Herm -- but if you have an NFL caliber head coach and he takes half an hour out of his weekly routine to prepare for the different ways to send signals in -- that is an advantage for the Pats.

Now with Herm, him spending less time preparing was probably good for the Jets. But you get my point.

He said he made the adjustments before the game knowing that Belli does this, I think it's pretty funny that he waved!:rl:

:pats:

And by waving, he clued BB in to the fact that we were onto him. We could have had him CERTAIN we were going to call play 'A' and instead call play 'B' -- waving to the camera negates that. Meaning it lowers the advantage in the next meeting, which was a game we were losing 23-0 until a meaningless, late 4th quarter TD.

Even when given an advantage, Herm pisses it away by advertising it to the opponent in advance.

The part that I find interesting is this. Herm and Donnie knew Belly was doing this. So they had a 2nd coach sending in signals. They sent signals in with a player instead of calling them in and they changed wrist bands every quarter.

Yet people say that this did not give the Pats an advantage.

Granted this is a bad example with Herm -- but if you have an NFL caliber head coach and he takes half an hour out of his weekly routine to prepare for the different ways to send signals in -- that is an advantage for the Pats.

Now with Herm, him spending less time preparing was probably good for the Jets. But you get my point.

exacto mundo...

this is the 'hidden' piece of 'advantage' the pats enjoyed,,the part the nfl is trying to 'hide'

FOXSports.com

Updated: March 2, 2008, 4:08 PM

According to a report in the New York Daily News, the New York Jets were aware of New England Patriots head coach Bill Belichick's videotaping shenanigans as far back as 2004.

Sources told the Daily News that Herm Edwards, then the Jets head coach, and his defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson not only noticed a camera aimed at them from the opposite sideline during a game between the Jets and Patriots.

They waved at it.

Both Edwards and Henderson declined to comment for the story.

The News' report also said the videotape was apparently one of six tapes that Belichick turned over to the league and that were subsequently destroyed by the order of NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.

The News had reported in September that the Jets were aware of the Patriots' videotaping practices before former Patriots assistant coach Eric Mangini became New York's head coach prior to the 2006 season.

The emergence of the Spygate scandal has largely been attributed to Mangini's inside knowledge of the Pats' videotaping practices. But according to the News' source, not only were the Patriots taping the Jets' defensive signals well before Mangini switched sides, but the team was well aware of it.

"At times, we would wave at the guy that was filming over there," a member of that Jets staff said in September. "We just gave false signals and waved at the camera. I don't know if they picked up our signals or not. We didn't really worry about it too much."

FOXSports.com

Updated: March 2, 2008, 4:08 PM

According to a report in the New York Daily News, the New York Jets were aware of New England Patriots head coach Bill Belichick's videotaping shenanigans as far back as 2004.

Sources told the Daily News that Herm Edwards, then the Jets head coach, and his defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson not only noticed a camera aimed at them from the opposite sideline during a game between the Jets and Patriots.

They waved at it.

Both Edwards and Henderson declined to comment for the story.

The News' report also said the videotape was apparently one of six tapes that Belichick turned over to the league and that were subsequently destroyed by the order of NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.

The News had reported in September that the Jets were aware of the Patriots' videotaping practices before former Patriots assistant coach Eric Mangini became New York's head coach prior to the 2006 season.

The emergence of the Spygate scandal has largely been attributed to Mangini's inside knowledge of the Pats' videotaping practices. But according to the News' source, not only were the Patriots taping the Jets' defensive signals well before Mangini switched sides, but the team was well aware of it.

Herm was the coach then.

You know how much Herm loves cameras. He jsut waved and smiled

Is that why we liked burning time outs and our defense tended to look confused most of the time?

Well congratulations Captain Jerk Chicken, instead of being considered whatever Mangini is considered for standing up for his team and getting back at the Patriots, you get to be considered an honorable idiot according to the Pats fans. They still think you're an idiot, but they will pretend to support you and claim they like you, all the while ****ing you up the ass harder than Smizzy does to Sperm every weekend.

Meanwhile, we're making all these beneficial trades and getting top tier FAs. Clearly FOs and players do not hate Mangini as the media would lead us to believe. Apparently if the unwritten rule was broken, the players and FOs choose to ignore it when it comes to any repurcussions. The one guy that did complain? Issues a formal apology the next day, had a public mutiny by his players, and ultimately lost his job. Maybe Ray Lewis and co. didn't like the idea of you knowingly allowing New England to steal those signals? Just a thought you dunce, you can think it over while waiting for Hermy to lose his job in KC so you can take over there.

Surprised no thread on this.

I laughed so hard when I read this but I was also pissed at Herm.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2008/03/02/2008-03-02_4_years_before_scandal_herm_edwards_wave.html

Sources told the Daily News that early in a game against the Patriots four years ago, Edwards, in his fourth season as Jets coach, and Henderson, in his first year as the defensive coordinator, noticed a Patriots camera from the opposite sideline aimed at them to tape the defensive signals.

to show Belichick they were aware of his shenanigans, Edwards and Henderson looked right into the camera across the sideline and waved hello.

That's Herm in a nutshell right there.

Surprised no thread on this.

I laughed so hard when I read this but I was also pissed at Herm.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2008/03/02/2008-03-02_4_years_before_scandal_herm_edwards_wave.html

That's Herm in a nutshell right there.

There was a thread on this last week. If Herm knew about it then so did every other Coach. It wasn't like the Pats were hiding what they were doing.

The Patriots broke an NFL rule and were punished for it.

Sucks to be a fan of a team whose recent superbowl wins mean nothing at all... unless of course you think Bonds breaking the record was fair.... do you?

Sucks to be a fan of a team whose recent superbowl wins mean nothing at all... unless of course you think Bonds breaking the record was fair.... do you?

You can hate on the Pats all you want but those Super Bowls are in the record books.

I love Barry Bonds. He is my hero.

You can hate on the Pats all you want but those Super Bowls are in the record books.

I love Barry Bonds. He is my hero.

I dont hate them, I feel bad for their fans... they forced you guys to love a tainted team...

I wouldnt be proud to tell my children about Tom Brady BB and the Steroid taking, videotaping Pats of the 2000's.

Archived