JUST MAKE CHAD THE STARTER

nylarry

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The most telling sign is that with basically the talent around Chad he was able to muster up just one win, against the awful Dolphins.

With even less talent around him (Coles and Cotch werent 100% for most of the 2nd half) Kellen managed 3 wins, including against a Top 5 Defense in the Steelers.

I'm not saying Kellen is the answer or not, but of the two he is already better, and has more upside than Chad, who was damaged goods, and will always be damaged goods.

Wow, Kellen beat 4-12 Kansas City with Broken Croyle, maybe the worst QB in the NFL, starting that game and he also beat the Dolphins minus Trent Green, Ronnie Brown and Chris Chambers.

The defense won the Steelers game. That game would have ended on an int Kellen threw in the 4th quarter but the defense was able to get us the ball back. D-Rob schooled Faneca in that game for 2.5 sacks. Our defense seriously looked like the '85 Bears that Sunday.

Chad Pennington > Kellen Clemens

A FoxSports head-to-head comparison of last year:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/headToHeadResults?statsId1=7798&statsId2=5047&type=QB

Penny does have a slight advantage. But he's already reached his prime, while Clemens is only going to get better.

Well considering Clemens had the lowest passer rating of any starting QB last year he can only get better. 5 td's 10 int's and a 60.5 QB rating and Jets fans are going ga-ga over this guy like he's the next Troy Aikman. He throws interceptions in bunches and I really beleive his lack of size hurts his ability to make reads in the pocket.

I don't get what's so special about this guy.

Wow, Kellen beat 4-12 Kansas City with Broken Croyle, maybe the worst QB in the NFL, starting that game and he also beat the Dolphins minus Trent Green, Ronnie Brown and Chris Chambers.

The defense won the Steelers game. That game would have ended on an int Kellen threw in the 4th quarter but the defense was able to get us the ball back. D-Rob schooled Faneca in that game for 2.5 sacks. Our defense seriously looked like the '85 Bears that Sunday.

Chad Pennington > Kellen Clemens

It was still more than Chad would have ever done. Wasnt it against the Titans he put up a massive six points, after the D only allowed ten.

And while Kellen may not have won us many games he didnt cost us any either. You can chalk at least two of the losses from last year solely on Chad's arm, or lack there of.

I'm not crazy about Kellen, he has some big flaws and if they arent improved after this year I'm all for dumping him, but if Chad is on this team they then we wont be 100% sure, and that will just set us back another couple of years.

Cut our losses (Pennington) and lets see what we have, that way the front office can fix it next year if need be.

Well considering Clemens had the lowest passer rating of any starting QB last year he can only get better. 5 td's 10 int's and a 60.5 QB rating and Jets fans are going ga-ga over this guy like he's the next Troy Aikman. He throws interceptions in bunches and I really beleive his lack of size hurts his ability to make reads in the pocket.

I don't get what's so special about this guy.

Troy Aikman's first year starting = 55.7 QB rating (9 TD's / 18 INT's)

Troy Aikman's second year starting = 66.6 QB rating (11 TD's / 18 INT's)

Could anyone calculate the QB rating and season stats for Kellen if the Bills and Pats games were taken out?

In NE he threw one pass that was a pick before getting injured and in Buffalo he just kept lobbing passes playing catch up in the final few minutes of the game, and I believe he threw another pick there.

Not making excuses for Kellen but in the scheme of things these two situations tend to murk up the whole picture for a guy in his first eight starts.

Then why didn't they get rid of him? Clearly, this Aikman guy looked like a bust. How did he turn out? :)

Could anyone calculate the QB rating and season stats for Kellen if the Bills and Pats games were taken out?

In NE he threw one pass that was a pick before getting injured and in Buffalo he just kept lobbing passes playing catch up in the final few minutes of the game, and I believe he threw another pick there.

Not making excuses for Kellen but in the scheme of things these two situations tend to murk up the whole picture for a guy in his first eight starts.

And if McCareins catches just one of the two TD passes thrown to him vs. Baltimore instead of the second one going through his hands into Ray Lewis'. Not to mention having two healthy WR's for like 2 games. Weren't his #1/#2 WR's McCareins & Smith one game?

He didn't look that great (clearly), but there were a lot of contributing factors - dropped passes, no time in the pocket to take advantage of deep passing ability, Brad Smith being used at all, gutless/obvious playcalling, etc.

There needs to be another QB capable of starting or we're gambling the whole season & all the moves we're making on one Kellen Clemens. But combining all of that above with it being his first season & the whole team knowing the season is already in the crapper by the time the job was given to him...not a really situation many would have succeeded in.

According to that logic we should just bring back Ryan Leaf and give him a second chance. Every QB who sucked the first couple years is going to turn out to be a multiple SB winning hall of famer.

According to that logic we should just bring back Ryan Leaf and give him a second chance. Every QB who sucked the first couple years is going to turn out to be a multiple SB winning hall of famer.

Actually the Bucs,Cowboys,and Seahawks already gave him his 2nd,3rd,and 4th chances.

And you know Sperm wasn't saying that Clemens will be a multiple SB winning HOFer,but that you shouldn't necessarily give up on a young QB because he struggled in his first 8 starts.

Actually the Bucs,Cowboys,and Seahawks already gave him his 2nd,3rd,and 4th chances.

And you know Sperm wasn't saying that Clemens will be a multiple SB winning HOFer,but that you shouldn't necessarily give up on a young QB because he struggled in his first 8 starts.

But we should ship off Chad Pennington for a second day pick? I'm all for moving on from Chad but I think it's more likely than not Clemens is going to suck next year and if he does I don't want our season's hopes to rest on Marques Tuiasosopo.

I think Chad will be the starter next season.

I also think he'll lead us to the playoffs.

Only if they can close the gap on defenses using that 4-3 Slant 1. If these off season pick-ups can hold the line long enough to get Thomas Jones getting at least 90 yards per game, Chad could be used in the short pass game & then it would make sence to keep him here.

As for KC, after watching him last year, I have to give him a BUST notice. He can not work himself out of the pocket & that makes him even more readable than Pennington because he can not make trick plays. Great arm but no head to make audibles makes KC a waste of money.

I still think they should go after a QB in the 2nd Round this year : Maybe go after Brian Brohm from Louisville or even Joe Falco from U/Delaware. Brohm has the brains but Falco's also got a rocket for an arm...

Irish, I think for the 1st time we've finally been on the same page....

I didn't say that. But according to your logic, based on Clemens' 8 games in 2007, Dallas should have cut their losses with Aikman after 1990 at the latest.

I have no man-love for Clemens. In 2008 if he's still at the level he played in 2007, then I want him far away from the starting job. Too much has been invested in other players, & we've waited too long for this FA/trading splurge to keep going with a guy if he sucks this badly (particularly at QB). Not to mention we're likely going to be adding a WR, an OLB, an ILB, and a CB in the remainder of FA and the draft. Further, there was no free agency or salary cap until Aikman's 5th season.

My only contention is to not give up on him prematurely because of his first half-season as starter with so little help around him. But at the same time, he cannot be the only starting-caliber QB on the roster, especially this year.

But we should ship off Chad Pennington for a second day pick? I'm all for moving on from Chad but I think it's more likely than not Clemens is going to suck next year and if he does I don't want our season's hopes to rest on Marques Tuiasosopo.

I think Chad proved last year though that we don't want our season's hopes resting on his completely uncapable shoulders.

If Clemens fails this year,we need to look into the Brady Quinn/Derek Anderson situation in Cleveland.

I think if there was one there we learned last year was that you could have put Tom Brady back there and the Jets would have still sucked that is how bad the OL was.

Neither Pennington nor Clemens did squat last year. Both were awful and both should be doubted as to being the guy to lead this team in 08.

I still think the whole "QB competition at TC" is nothing more than a smokescreen to hopefully maybe upgrade Chad's trade value come draft day.

I would find it hard to believe that the Jets would go back to Pennington at this point. (Although I wouldn't mind it). Sperm brings up Aikman, I'll bring up a guy like Elway who was brutal enough his rookie year in Denver that he ended up being benched in favor of Steve DeBerg back in 83.

I did not like alot of what I saw of Clemens as the year progressed. Alot of that can probably be contributed to the fact the OL was awful. I do think though that if the Jets think ANYTHING at all of Clemens then they give him the reigns in 08. If he produces then he stays, if he doesn't then the Jets are back looking for a QB in 09.

The one thing though I don't want to see is to see Clemens get the plug pulled on him the same way Nagle did.

I still think the whole "QB competition at TC" is nothing more than a smokescreen to hopefully maybe upgrade Chad's trade value come draft day.

Agreed.

Although I wouldn't be unhappy having those two QBs on the roster starting the season.

If Chad is your backup, you won't be able to pick up a cheaper/better backup so might as well keep him.

BZ

F Chad

Please reunite this hick with Hermie

If Chad starts the season this is a real bad sign

1) it means KC blows

2) it means more unwatchable football

IMHO its lookin from these pickups and the words carefully comin out of hofstra that chad wil lstart again,,i think jets have thoier eye on sleeper qb in late 1st/2nd/3rd round that they have high hopes on,,

any one know best qb's that may fill that scenario?????????

IMHO its lookin from these pickups and the words carefully comin out of hofstra that chad wil lstart again,,i think jets have thoier eye on sleeper qb in late 1st/2nd/3rd round that they have high hopes on,,

Flacco

Semper fi

Flacco

Semper fi

ugh...not a steal anymore after combine,,CNNSI has him at #20 1st round in latest mock

20buccaneers_30.gifQBJoe FlaccoDelawareSr.6-6232If this seems high for Flacco, who was one of the big stories of the combine, look at the teams that pick after Tampa Bay and tell me which one is in position to select a young quarterback who might need a couple years of seasoning? I could see quarterback-collector Jon Gruden falling in love with the idea of the big, strong-armed Flacco taking over for Jeff Garcia in 2010.

I think Chad proved last year though that we don't want our season's hopes resting on his completely uncapable shoulders.

If Clemens fails this year,we need to look into the Brady Quinn/Derek Anderson situation in Cleveland.

I think we need to look at the Brady Quinn/Derek Anderson situation now.

Now that we've signed Pace we don't necessarily need to draft Gholston at 6 i order to have a pass rush next season. We could send our 1st to Cleveland for Quinn or Anderson and still draft a pass rusher in Round 2.

I think we need to look at the Brady Quinn/Derek Anderson situation now.

Now that we've signed Pace we don't necessarily need to draft Gholston at 6 i order to have a pass rush next season. We could send our 1st to Cleveland for Quinn or Anderson and still draft a pass rusher in Round 2.

I don't think the Browns are ready to move either of them yet,and I don't see us giving up the #6 overall for Brady Quinn. I think with another year with Anderson starting,they'll be able to make a decision on who they'll keep and who they'll deal.

Maybe so. Having spent all this money, they cannot turn it over to a broken down jalopy like CP.

10-6

Backing into the playoffs

1st round elimination or improbable road upset, in which case, divisional playoff elimination

That's all Chad is good for. It is all he has ever been good for. I have had enough of that ****. Can Kellen Clemens win a Super Bowl? Who knows? Can Chad Pennington? Absolutely ****ing not. He's hit his ceiling and it ain't high enough. He is the Herman Edwards of QBs. Just get him the **** off this team. Trade him. Cut him. I do not give a ****. Just let this franchise move on from the rag-armed, put-put ****ing loser.

10-6

1st round elimination or improbable road upset, in which case, divisional playoff elimination

That's all Chad is good for. It is all he has ever been good for. I have had enough of that ****. Can Kellen Clemens win a Super Bowl? Who knows? Can Chad Pennington? Absolutely ****ing not. He's hit his ceiling and it ain't high enough. He is the Herman Edwards of QBs. Just get him the **** off this team. Trade him. Cut him. I do not give a ****. Just let this franchise move on from the rag-armed, put-put ****ing loser.

POTW nom!

10-6

Amen

Ya think CP can peel off my dead skin, I burned real bad here

He might just be a great peeler.

10-6

I disagree. 10-6 was the Chad of 2 years ago. Now he is the 7-9 Chad at best, even with all of our changes. An nfl team simply cannot be so limited at the QB position. the windows are too small for Chad now. How many checkdowns can you throw in a game?

we will win 10 to 12 games this year. and Chadwick will be the Starter. a great O-Line and a running game, jones/DMC Hopefully! / Neon Leon. and we will have a solid Defense. boys, you want chad out there managing the game, dinking and dunking, handing the ball off to our 3 RB's.

he's the only QB on the roster thats worth starting with all our New pickups! we can not, I repeat CAN NOT! go with clemens this year.

Chad can not win a superbowl. You can give him the 85 bears defense and walter payton to run behind a all pro offensive line and he would still lose the game bu throwing a pick in the 4th quarter and lose 3-0. Chad can not score points, period. He might have been able to before his old age and shoulder injuries, but he is unable to score anymore.

we will win 10 to 12 games this year. and Chadwick will be the Starter. a great O-Line and a running game, jones/DMC Hopefully! / Neon Leon. and we will have a solid Defense. boys, you want chad out there managing the game, dinking and dunking, handing the ball off to our 3 RB's.

he's the only QB on the roster thats worth starting with all our New pickups! we can not, I repeat CAN NOT! go with clemens this year.

If Chad is the starter, we will win 7 games max, and they will all be wire to wire. Chad cannot play from behind anymore when the clock is a factor. He cannot throw the out pattern into a small window. He used to be able to do it with timing, throwing the ball before the reciever made his cut. Now he would have to throw the ball before it is snapped to get it there in time. DBs are sitting on those routes.

A few good points, but the only way we are better off with Chad is if we run first throw second just like the old days. If the passing game is to set up the run game we need Clemens to loosen up the box.

Chad can not win a superbowl. You can give him the 85 bears defense and walter payton to run behind a all pro offensive line and he would still lose the game bu throwing a pick in the 4th quarter and lose 3-0. Chad can not score points, period. He might have been able to before his old age and shoulder injuries, but he is unable to score anymore.

you base that all on last year, befor last year he had one of the best redzone/TD ratios in the NFL EVER! Almost everyone on the jets besides, harris, revis and leon were horrible, nothing went right.

A few good points, but the only way we are better off with Chad is if we run first throw second just like the old days. If the passing game is to set up the run game we need Clemens to loosen up the box.

old school football, thats what I liek to see. I think with our new aditions to our D, and our new Oline, we can play that style of football. sure Clemens can throw the deepball, but he's not accurate, chad can throw 30 to 40 yards, Schotty just never called any deep plays last year, it seemed he wanted to run the same plays over and over! if I can sit here ( an average Joe "thats my name by the way LoL") and know almost every play, then yes! the DB's will know and jump the routs! it seemed we only scored when we were in teh hurry up and chad was calling most of the plays. or atleast had a option of 2 or 3 plays. I don't think you need to be able to throw the ball 60 yards to be a good QB in the nfl, but thats just my opinion. I really belieave we can do somthing this year with Chad as our QB, I think with clemens were in for a long year yet again.

bottom line, were gonn have a great running game this year behind our Oline, and chad is great at playaction. even if we only score 17 points a game on average. I think our D will hold up. but with clemens making mistakes "only becos he's so young" I just dunno if our D can hold up. if Chad is the starter and throws more than 10 picks this year, I'll burn his jersey and never mention his name again. i really believe he's going to have a great year, I really do with all my heart.

Archived