thejetsblog | Jets, Broncos at table again

rick34125

This DT thing between CIN and DEN might work out in the Jets favor one way or the other. Either the Jets will be able to deal Robertson to one of them for an acceptable return OR the Jets might be able to make a favorable deal in the event Dorsey or Ellis falls to them at #6.

I think it's clear denver and cinci both have interest in drob and that fact alone may cause one of them to be willing to give up a 5th rounder, so as to avoid any possible bidding war between the other team. I also think the fact that mangini and tannenbaum seem so hard to predict could make some teams be unwilling to gamble on the fact that they might actually keep him, no matter how unreasonable it seems. Man i hope this gets done, but i will most certainly not be getting my hopes up anymore than they are now.

Hopefully, we get some draft picks and not Foxworth. As the Giants proved, corners do not matter if you have a pass rush.

I wouldn't go as far as saying they don't matter, in fact Ross did a pretty good job for them last season and was their first rnd pick. A pass rush just takes a load of the pressure off of them.

Everyone looks at the Giants pass rush and simply overlooks how important the secondary can be for a defense. Yeah a front 7 is the heart of the defense but the secondary can make or break your defense.

I would love for the Jets to pick up Gholston to improve the pass rush and also draft the best CB on the board in the 2nd round to compete with Barrett and Miller.

As far as this Robertson to Denver talk goes, I really wanna see robertson on another team ASAP, We have Jenkins as our NT and Pouha as our backup... Robertson is not a DE and I cant wait to see him getting blown off the blocks on another team

Everyone looks at the Giants pass rush and simply overlooks how important the secondary can be for a defense. Yeah a front 7 is the heart of the defense but the secondary can make or break your defense.

I would love for the Jets to pick up Gholston to improve the pass rush and also draft the best CB on the board in the 2nd round to compete with Barrett and Miller.

As far as this Robertson to Denver talk goes, I really wanna see robertson on another team ASAP, We have Jenkins as our NT and Pouha as our backup... Robertson is not a DE and I cant wait to see him getting blown off the blocks on another team

The secondary is indeed important but absolutely worthless wiithout a pass rush. Any WR can get open eventually.

I wouldn't go as far as saying they don't matter, in fact Ross did a pretty good job for them last season and was their first rnd pick. A pass rush just takes a load of the pressure off of them.

The year before, Indy won with Jason David and Nick Harper.

Before that, Pittsburgh won with Ike Taylor and DeShea Townsend.

And the year before that, New England had Troy Brown in their secondary.

I am not saying we should stick two scrubs pack there, but it is pointless to keep pouring money down the drain on the position when it has been proven time and time again that you can win championships with mediocre corners, as long as you have a good front seven.

Hopefully, we get some draft picks and not Foxworth. As the Giants proved, corners do not matter if you have a pass rush.

You say CBs don't matter, I suggest you watch some clips of David Barret and some of our other CBs last year who played opposite Revis. No amount of pass rush will save you if those are the kind of guys you have out there.

You say CBs don't matter, I suggest you watch some clips of David Barret and some of our other CBs last year who played opposite Revis. No amount of pass rush will save you if those are the kind of guys you have out there.

Barrett was adequate in 2004. We also happened to have a decent pass rush then.

He is certainly no worse than Jason David.

The secondary is indeed important but absolutely worthless wiithout a pass rush. Any WR can get open eventually.

Well, our pass defense was ranked 9th in the league last year, despite having a gaping hole on one side. All I'm asking is that either through FA or preferably through the draft we bring in one quality (or potentially quality) CB and our secondary will be so elite it will start to mess with opposing game plans.

I agree, pass rush is much more needed now.. but we plug that hole at CB through the draft and re-sign Rhodes and we have an entire, quality secondary for years to come. Plenty of time to focus on other defensive needs.

Well, our pass defense was ranked 9th in the league last year, despite having a gaping hole on one side.

That's misleading. The Jets pass defense was ranked so respectively because no one needed to pass against them. Teams could run on the Jets at will, and the Jets offense wasn't a threat to score.

Just heard from a source who said that while the Jets and Broncos are back at the table talking about a trade involving Dewayne Robertson -- even with the tumult in the Denver front office -- the deal does not include CB Domonique Foxworth. In fact, I'm hearing that the Broncos are closing in on signing Foxworth to the kind of long-term contract he's seeking, so he probably won't be signing his letters "Disgruntled in Denver" for much longer. Word is, however, that the trade could involve another Broncos player coming to the Jets instead of draft picks. Haven't heard who, though.

This is in tom rock's blog. Who would we take from denver?

Broncos angle for Jets' tackle Robertson

By Mike Klis

The Denver Post

Article Last Updated: 03/13/2008 02:09:08 PM MDT

Knowing their reconstructed defense has unfinished work at tackle, the Broncos are exploring a trade with the New York Jets for Dewayne Robertson, two NFL sources confirmed today.

In terms of need and fit, the Jets and Broncos would be an ideal match. Robertson is 317 pounds but extremely quick, a combination that made him the No. 4 pick in the 2003 draft.

However, he is best suited for the 4-3 scheme the Broncos use. The Jets switched two years ago to a 3-4. Robertson became expendable after the Jets recently acquired Kris Jenkins.

The Broncos badly need a defensive tackle of Robertson's ilk and they have extra draft picks in the fourth and fifth rounds they can deal in exchange for him.

There are two potential hang-ups, however. Naturally, money is the big issue. Robertson was the NFL's highest-paid defensive tackle last season and he's currently second after Oakland gave a new deal to Tommie Kelly.

Robertson is due a $3 million bonus on June 1, then a $9.5 million salary in 2008, so the Broncos would need to restructure his deal with agent Hadley Engelhard, who also represents Denver running back Travis Henry. There also is concern about Robertson's right knee. A deal with the Cincinnati Bengals was nixed because Robertson didn't pass a physical.

Robertson was the NFL's highest-paid defensive tackle last season and he's currently second after Oakland gave a new deal to Tommie Kelly.

Robertson is due a $3 million bonus on June 1, then a $9.5 million salary in 2008, so the Broncos would need to restructure his deal with agent Hadley Engelhard, who also represents Denver running back Travis Henry. There also is concern about Robertson's right knee. A deal with the Cincinnati Bengals was nixed because Robertson didn't pass a physical.

There was some thought that Robertson nixed that trade by refusing to redo his deal. If this is true, that Cincy backed out because of his knee, DRob has to see the writing on the wall. His days as the highest paid DT in the NFL are over forever. If he's smart, he'll do everything he can to facilitate a trade and pocket whatever million$ he can before his career comes to an end.

There's not going to be any bidding wars on this guy if he makes it to the open market.

why would a team trade for him when the Jets are more than likely going to release him in June

Piece of mind? Knowing that they have the DT covered going into the draft?

He'd have a few teams bid on him... It would happen.

After the draft, there won't be enough money for any sort of bidding war. DRob's best hope for a decent payday is to take a paycut in a trade. He could be looking at sub-$1M one year deals in June with his knees.

why would a team trade for him when the Jets are more than likely going to release him in June

1st of all need. 2nd why take a chance of losing a player that can fill a hole for them. Of course, they're probably trying to get him to restructure his contract.

- Affects their draft; particularly in round 1.

- Affects what else they do in free agency

- No bidding war with other teams for his services; no guarantee they'll get him after 6/1.

- Affects their draft; particularly in round 1.

- Affects what else they do in free agency

- No bidding war with other teams for his services; no guarantee they'll get him after 6/1.

The team that doesnt get Robertson might trade up with the Jets to have a shot at Dorsey or Ellis, if one of them is there at #6.

The team that doesnt get Robertson might trade up with the Jets to have a shot at Dorsey or Ellis, if one of them is there at #6.

Everyone talks about some team trading up with us for a shot at picking up a player at #6. Which team is this? Who is going to break their draft bank on a player at #6, which would command at least 2 1st round picks if not another late rounder. And which player in this year's draft would be worth the reach? I don't even think Mcfadden would be worth it.

Of course everyone dreams of finding a sucker to do business with, but let's be realistic.

Archived