Grading the Jets FA moves

rick34125

What grade do you give the Jets for this period of FA?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What grade do you give the Jets for this period of FA?

• A: Excellent
    • B: Good
    • C: Average
    • D: Below average
    • F: Failing

What grade does the FO deserve so far for this FA period. Obviously, you can't grade actual player performance yet, but just based on the FO's moves in FA what grade do you think they deserve in addressing the team's needs. Will all these FA acquistions prove to be shortsided and costly? Well calculated risks? Will they help us win only a few more games this year or help us go deep in the playoffs? Will the team chemistry be ripped apart by so many new FAs or will it meld together? Has the morale of the players been uplifted by all the buzz of activity or is it just about the money?

What grade do you give the Jets FA so far? A.....B....C....D.....F

Use the poll above to vote.

I'll give the FO an A so far. It was obvious that Tangini came into the offseason with a plan to improve the team and capitalize on every opportunity that became available. They were aggressive in pursuing key players to fill our biggest needs. Although most of the players were not young they were well calculated risks with plenty of upside. FA costs money and can cause serious cap problems with a bust, but with Tannenbaum's ability to manipulate the cap I'm not very concerned about it. Overall there is a buzz around the team, the upcoming season is something for fans to look forward to now, and even the players are excited about the prospects of winning this coming season.

Unless this team totally underperforms this FA period should be viewed as one of the organizations best.

Good job so far Tangini!

A - Alan Faneca, Tony Richardson

B - Kris Jenkins, Damien Woody, trading Vilma

C - Calvin Pace, Jesse Chatman

All and all to me it evens out to a B unless Jenkins shows he can be a 34 NT and Pace proves to be a 10 sack a season type performer at OLB, then it moves up to an A.

I give it an A. Clearly, this is before seeing any of these new players play one down for the Jets.

Only thing that could knock it down a little is the $ spent. Well we had a boatload of cap room, still have room left, won't have a "time to pay the piper" year where we have to drop everyone, and filled holes on the team.

If this isn't an "A" so far, I don't know what would constitute an A then. The cap space was there (with plenty left), so the only thing left to whine about is Woody Johnson's money (and I doubt we'll have many people worried about that).

People got to understand that us signing Pace is like us getting a 1st round pick. Believe it or not, we will NOT take Gholston in the 1st round. Instead, we'll be looking for that home run hitter in McFadden.

Sweet Ghost. I didn't know you were personal friends with Tangini. Tell me, whose going to win the starting Quarterback job and is Coles going to be dealt and tell me everything else you know.

If Tangini is targeding McFadden, god help this franchise.

But lets try and not make this thread into a Bust DMC vs. Need If You Want To Win Now, type thread.

Sweet Ghost. I didn't know you were personal friends with Tangini. Tell me, whose going to win the starting Quarterback job and is Coles going to be dealt and tell me everything else you know.

But lets try and not make this thread into a Bust DMC vs. Need If You Want To Win Now, type thread.

124, when did you get....smart?

DMC a bust ? Possibility but it's better than drafting a kicker in the 2nd round.

I'd give the Jets moves an B+; there are still some question marks and Pace is still a gamble. I'll change it to an A if the jets have a good draft. If they do something dumb like draft a TE @ 6 all of these movies aren't going to look as good.

I'd give the Jets moves an B+; there are still some question marks and Pace is still a gamble. I'll change it to an A if the jets have a good draft. If they do something dumb like draft a TE @ 6 all of these movies aren't going to look as good.

Remember the grade is for the FO, not the players. How good a job did they do in addressing the team's needs and improving it through FA? There is no way to judge the players now until they play. But the FO can be graded on what they did to improve the team. IMO from all indications they deserve an A.

And yes this is in reaction to all the "media experts" reporting how foolish the Jets have acted this offseason, bucking the trend of building through FA and is basically a disaster waiting to happen.

Remember the grade is for the FO, not the players. How good a job did they do in addressing the team's needs and improving it through FA? There is no way to judge the players now until they play. But the FO can be graded on what they did to improve the team. IMO from all indications they deserve an A.

And yes this is in reaction to all the "media experts" reporting how foolish the Jets have acted this offseason, bucking the trend of building through FA and is basically a disaster waiting to happen.

You base the FO's moves based on who they got and you have to take into account the risky moves that they made. At this point Pace is a huge gamble, you can't give them an A for spending big money on an unproven player.

Going into my 48th year of being a Jet fan. Needless to say I usually don't get too

excited over what they do in the offseason because I've been disappointed before,

many times.

However, given what the FO has done this month, I have to say that it's possible

that something good just might come out of all this wheeling and dealing..

I gave the FO an A and I hope I'm not disappointed again.

I know a lot of guys are down on the Pace signing but if Parcells was going to go all

out to get him there might be something there.

Going into my 48th year of being a Jet fan. Needless to say I usually don't get too

excited over what they do in the offseason because I've been disappointed before,

many times.

However, given what the FO has done this month, I have to say that it's possible

that something good just might come out of all this wheeling and dealing..

I gave the FO an A and I hope I'm not disappointed again.

I know a lot of guys are down on the Pace signing but if Parcells was going to go all

out to get him there might be something there.

I see everyone being pretty positive here. We're arguing over it being an A or a B offseason. That is like one side saying the offseason has been "awesome!" and one side saying "no, it has been GREAT!"

All and all to me it evens out to a B unless Jenkins shows he can be a 34 NT and Pace proves to be a 10 sack a season type performer at OLB, then it moves up to an A.

What he said

You base the FO's moves based on who they got and you have to take into account the risky moves that they made. At this point Pace is a huge gamble, you can't give them an A for spending big money on an unproven player.

Pace is not a big gamble. Anyone who has seen him play last year will tell you he was a good pick up. He can play the 34 and will instantly improve our defense. From what I understand the Jets want to use him inside and outside much like adalius thomas is used. will pace be as good as thomas? who knows, but talent wise i wouldnt call that a big gamble because i dont' think that's necessarily their expectation. money wise perhaps, but so what they can afford it.

Pace is not a big gamble. Anyone who has seen him play last year will tell you he was a good pick up. He can play the 34 and will instantly improve our defense. From what I understand the Jets want to use him inside and outside much like adalius thomas is used. will pace be as good as thomas? who knows, but talent wise i wouldnt call that a big gamble because i dont' think that's necessarily their expectation. money wise perhaps, but so what they can afford it.

That is a very optimistic view and I hope pace plays up to what they think is his potential. But it is not a given.

That is a very optimistic view and I hope pace plays up to what they think is his potential. But it is not a given.

I hope so.

Remember though we're grading the job of the FO this offseason. Did they gamble on Pace? Did they take too much of a risk in acquiring him? IMO the answer is no. In fact they improved the team. They got a younger, faster, more versatile player for the 34 than the one he's replacing in Victor Hobson.

I hope so.

Remember though we're grading the job of the FO this offseason. Did they gamble on Pace? Did they take too much of a risk in acquiring him? IMO the answer is no. In fact they improved the team. They got a younger, faster, more versatile player for the 34 than the one he's replacing in Victor Hobson.

That is true. He is certainly an upgrade over hobson.

I gave them a B because I like what Cleveland did with their defensive line better. I love the other signings on the Jets though.

Yeah, Cleveland probably had a better off-season TBH.

Rogers, Williams and Stallworth were all great signings on an already talented team.

What he said

I agree, pretty much.. except I think the Jenkins signing will be an "A" when we see what he can do out there. Never mind his skills, (which he has plenty of, clearly!), just look at his size and tell me that doesn't instantly make David Harris better. It's hard to even imagine Harris being any better than he was last season, he is going to destroy out there.. and thats what Jenkins will bring.

Better than your game grades, I'll give you that much.:lol:

I'll give them a B+

After thinking about it, I like the Jenkins move more than I initially did. I'd rather have him at NT than any of the players in this draft and the contract he got is reasonable. I'm not in love with Faneca or the money they gave him, but I can't deny he's a significant upgrade to our run blocking. The Pace move is mediocore and they seriously overpaid for him. I can't see him being any better than that one good year Bryan Thomas had. Woody's a solid addition and should be much better than Clement. Richardson for 1 year is solid and he should help open up some holes for our RBs. Chatman is an OK depth signing. What I like most overall is the flexibility this gives us come draft time and also that we don't have to force a rookie to start along the o-line.

^ I agree.

I'd say "very good" rather than good or excellent. How the draft goes will tell me how well they did in FA. They shored up both lines, which was critical. Brought in maybe the best pass rusher available (even though I see the BT signposts with this guy, too), and added a couple more blockers/depth at the FB and TE positions.

Had they acquired a playmaker in the passing game, I'd give them an A. Unfortunately, I don't think they'll find an impact receiver in the draft. Not one that has an impact as a rookie, anyway.

I do think it's possible that they've lined themselves up for DMc.

Calvin Pace was an A signing to what looks to be a D or F contract.

what do you mean it was an A signing to a D or F contract. If the guy is an A doesn't that make him worth the contract? besides the Jets don't have to eat most of the contract if he turns out not to be that good.

Incomplete, no way to give them a grade right now. With th exeption of Fanaca we don't know what we got. Jenkins was a top 3 DT when he was healthy but that was in a 4-3 and while I think he will translate well to the 3-4 nobody knows. Woody is a question mark, and the Pace signing seems crazy but you gotta think the FO knows more about him than any of us.

Archived