Our Boy Gholston

Favorite_Toon

Just to defend Favorite_Toon...

You guys said he "had an agenda" because all the negatives were in red. You failed to notice that the positives were colored in green.

And clearly, by what he said afterwards (someone else highlighted the words, he supports the Gholston pick), he has no agenda but a pro-Jets agenda.

You guys said he "had an agenda" because all the negatives were in red. You failed to notice that the positives were colored in green.

And clearly, by what he said afterwards (someone else highlighted the words, he supports the Gholston pick), he has no agenda but a pro-Jets agenda.

I agree, but it's going to take a while for him to live down his pre-draft performance. He didn't deserve the bashing for what he posted here, but he deserved this and more for the past months worth of BS.

As for AEC, I don't think Arsis should be encouraging him to embrace being an a-hole. He's a smart guy, but if this is what he's like trying to be liked I don't think I want to see him embracing *******dom. Something tells me he's not too worried about keeping the masses happy anyway.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft0...fri&id=3371140

Gholston was exactly the kind of player Jets head coach Eric Mangini needed for his 3-4 defense. The Jets already added two significant defensive players in the offseason -- nose tackle Kris Jenkins and outside linebacker Calvin Pace -- and now they get an explosive pass-rusher with tremendous upside. Sure, several analysts have knocked Gholston for not playing hard on every down, but the Jets will find a way to change that immediately. The bottom line is this kid was good enough to register 21½ sacks in his final two years at Ohio State. He'll be just as devastating in the NFL.

As for AEC, I don't think Arsis should be encouraging him to embrace being an a-hole. He's a smart guy, but if this is what he's like trying to be liked I don't think I want to see him embracing *******dom. Something tells me he's not too worried about keeping the masses happy anyway.

There's a huge difference between actually being smart, and telling people that you're smart though ;)

I think most here know what aec's all about anyway. He can be the biggest a-hole in the world (well, he can't be higher than second since Satan is #1 up in New England), but as long as he cheers on the Jets he's fine in my book.

This was all they could do. Because they won a meaningless Week 17 game the Jets were picking #6 instead of #3 and were essentially at the mercy of the teams choosing ahead of them. With that said Vernon Gholston is a great talent who can really rush the passer and still has a ton of upside. He is also a nice fit at outside linebacker in their 3-4 scheme. A guy such as Darren McFadden would have had a bigger immediate impact on the franchise in 2008 but based on what was available at this point Gholston was absolutely the right way for them to go. As J-E-T-S fans would probably agree though, McFadden would have looked pretty good in green...

Thats from draft countdown...

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/results/results1.html

I agree with you that McFadden would have been a good player here (he'll be ruined in Oakland) but there is no way the Jets were taking him unless they were doing a trade-down with the Cowboys.

We're paying Thomas Jones a ton of money and Leon is the 3rd down, change of pace back.

They said the same things about Mario Williams. But instead of taking plays off, he supposedly took games off.

Workout warriors come along all of the time. The question is, did they show potential on the field or not? Many don't and are still picked simply because of their measureables. DRob really was never a great DT in college. Not even sporatically. And he never should have been drafted where he was. Mario Williams and Gholston have phenominal athletic ability and showed great football ability in college, albeit not as consistently as the nervous nellies would like. Guess what? They were growing kids and were still learning the game.

Gholston will be incredible.

all of these 'scouts' opinions are worthless once they start playing games for real. we will see exactly what this kid can do next september.

i just hope if he starts slow the fans and media don't start labeling him a bust after 4 games. look at mario williams - first season nothing, 2nd season dominance. the transition to the nfl is difficult. that being said, 14 sacks at ohio state a school record. last time i checked ohio state had some pretty good players over the years and gholston had more sacks than all of them, as a junior no less.

You realize that you wrote this while logged in as GL and not FT right? Either way, nice work.

I did that a couple of time, posted something on one of my other name thinking I was Arsis. and before you think I'm someone dumb like kobe or 128, my other username on here is thor99.

You realize that you wrote this while logged in as GL and not FT right? Either way, nice work.

If you actually read either mine or Toon's posts, you'd see a huge discrepancy in both style and writing ability. But why let the obvious get in the way of a good fabrication?

You know, I thought coming onto this "forum" with my fellow Jet fans would be a positive experience, one of community. Instead I've come away less enthusiastic about the football team I've rooted for since 1982 since every Jet victory means *******bags like you will be able to enjoy your Sundays. Kind of disappointing.

By the way, while we're on the subject, there is not one among you more enthusiastic or passionate about the Jets than Favorite Toon, I promise you. He's a Jet fan, not a McFadden fan and I guarantee that he will be ecstatic to see Gholston succeed, even if it means that he will have been proven wrong.

This is probably my last post. I'm sure my brother will keep posting.

BTW, I still believe the defense is WAY ahead of the offense and would have taken a shot on McFadden if he were available and it was up to me, but now he's a Raider, I hope he flops and that Al Davis lives to 120 so he can f*** up his disgusting franchise for another fifty years.

Yeah this guy looks really lazy.

07-09-01-FB-0080.jpg

McFadden would have been a terrible pick. Get over it.

This may be the dumbest thing I've ever read, but maybe not, let me try to follow THIS piece of logic:

Vernon Gholston likes to lift weights in a gym so therefore he doesn't ever take plays off on a football field. No, you're right it makes perfect sense. It's kind of like looking at some intentionally unemployed guys from my old neighborhood that would work out for three hours in the middle of the day while the rest of the modern world was working, take a picture of them - hose veins ablaze, hold it up and go, "Yeah right, tell me THIS GUY is lazy!"

I don't know whether the dude above is lazy or not, takes plays off or not. I'm rooting like hell that he won't, because he's obviously talented. But your logic is well... flawed so as a consequence, I really can't trust your opinion on the McFadden thing either, you're just not a trustworthy source. You may turn out right, but even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Thank you bro.. I appreciate that...

And as for the jets never taking mcfadden... I can say this for certain... if the raiders didnt pick him at 4.. he would be a jet...

But im over it.. and time to move on and get ready for the season... I am very excited.. I think the D wil be a monster.... and I have very high hoped for Dustin Keller... I got a really good feeling about him..

Just to let you know, people think you're an ahole... because you are an ahole. Just like people think I'm a dick, because I am a dick. It's okay nothing wrong with being an ahole or a dick, just accept it and move on or better yet embrace it.

Sounds reasonable to me...

Archived