Our Boy Gholston

Favorite_Toon

No one with his workout numbers or physique could possibly be "the laziest SOB I’ve ever seen." You wanna see lazy? I'll post a pic of me with my shirt off. :flex:

Do you have any faith in the coaching staff? That's what it really comes down to. You got some experts here anxious to be able to say, "I told you so," down the road. Even the worst of the quotes say he has the ability to do what he wants to do on the field, he just doesn't. Maybe Bob Sutton doesn't exactly warm my heart, but I'm sure the head coach is going to be paying some attention to the team's #1 pick. I think Bryan Cox might be riding his ass just a little bit.

Gholston is a boom or bust pick for sure, but no less than McFadden. Jake Long's supposed to be the surest thing in the draft, but even he could turn out to be Robert Gallery. Who knows?

Oh great another Jets fan with a friggin agenda we're gonna have to deal with all year-We KNOW you wanted Mcfadden but have a little faith in the team's ability to do what's right

Why would anyone do that when it's so much easier to hate your own players and rip them before they even put the pads on. Dammit, it's Gholstons fault we didn't get McFadden.

You left off the article where his head coach raves about him and explains the whole "takes plays off" talk.

Found it >>> http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/ny-spjets295667283apr29,0,894692.story

Just because we didn't get McFadden like you wanted, please don't flood the boards with anti-Gholston articles without posting the positive ones. Support the players on the team you supposedly root for.

Are you going to be crying over us losing McFadden all year?

I dont have agenda.. i seen a story and I posted it...

and seeminly highlighted/colored all the negatives. I have an agenda too...I chear for the Jets and hate the Pats, yours just happens to be you chear for McFadden and hate the Jets without him.

Forgetting Tressel's comments explaining what gholston's role was, forgetting that he still hasn't played a snap in the NFL and forgetting that the best drafting teams President Bill Polian said he absolutely loves gholston to death, the thing that really bothers me is how you remain to be one of the most agenda-oriented and obnoxious posters i see...i question whether you even watch football or read an article and than post it. Have you ever seen mamula play?? do you know his situation?? i explained this a while back and no one ever listened...let me explain it again so i dont have to hear this **** for an excuse again, especially out of you...

Mike Mamula was a 6'5 250ish pound DE (who dipped to 250 or high 240's during the course of the season) who's best place to play would have been as an OLB not DE. Even though he had considerable strength he wasn't nearly powerful enough to go up against men that outweighed him by 50+ pounds on every single snap of the game. He was idiocally played out of position by the eagles and suffered injuries in just about every year he was in the league, all of which he played through, and ended up with a mediocre first season but came into his own in his second year posting 52 tackles 8 sacks and 3 forced fumbles.

If I were gholston (who is a smart football player) I wouldn't mind being compared to this man, becuase he had tremendous talent. The only thing this story does is show how idiotic these stupid draft experts can be and it's actually an indication of the poor drafting by the eagles that many years ago. The only person i've ever hear say that it wasn't mamula's fault but the eagles was Jaworski..probably the only one who really gets football out of that bunch of guys.

Ok, well i've gotten that out of my system and now i really hope to not here about how he is the next mamula again, except for in terms of physical ability in a positive way. (And i really wish people would remember some of the concerns with the a lot of the best players nowadays...almost every DE was rumored to be a potential bust and how he was lazy...i remember hearing it about peppers, mario williams etc.. it's just the nature of the beast, the only people who know what the DE should be doing is the coach, and if Tressell has high praises for gholston than i'd take his word for it.

I don't care if he takes plays off once in a while as long as he's racking up around 15 sacks a season. Randy Moss still took plays off in New England, how'd they do? Three minutes away from a title? Not too shabby.

I don't care if he takes plays off once in a while as long as he's racking up around 15 sacks a season. Randy Moss still took plays off in New England, how'd they do? Three minutes away from a title? Not too shabby.

those were a great 3 minutes;)

those were a great 3 minutes;)

Oh yes indeed they were. \:D/

But hey, the point was, we havn't come close to sniffing a championship since '98. Lets see what the kid does for us. He has all the upside in the world and you've got to have faith that Mangini can get him hard more than Tressell could.

I mean, Mangini's a man. He wears polos not ***** ass sweaters like Jim T does at Luckeye State. ;)

hwat are you talking about!!! that wasnt me highlighting that stiuff!!! thats the way the post is!!!! I copied it and pasted it.... omg..really now..

I dint mind the gholston pick... You have it all wrong... I actially copied that article from a scouting website.... already highlighted!!

hwat are you talking about!!! that wasnt me highlighting that stiuff!!! thats the way the post is!!!! I copied it and pasted it.... omg..really now..

Who highlighted in Green & Red then? Darren McFadden? C'mon dude. ;)

This was all they could do. Because they won a meaningless Week 17 game the Jets were picking #6 instead of #3 and were essentially at the mercy of the teams choosing ahead of them. With that said Vernon Gholston is a great talent who can really rush the passer and still has a ton of upside. He is also a nice fit at outside linebacker in their 3-4 scheme. A guy such as Darren McFadden would have had a bigger immediate impact on the franchise in 2008 but based on what was available at this point Gholston was absolutely the right way for them to go. As J-E-T-S fans would probably agree though, McFadden would have looked pretty good in green...

Thats from draft countdown...

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/results/results1.html

This was all they could do. Because they won a meaningless Week 17 game the Jets were picking #6 instead of #3 and were essentially at the mercy of the teams choosing ahead of them. With that said Vernon Gholston is a great talent who can really rush the passer and still has a ton of upside. He is also a nice fit at outside linebacker in their 3-4 scheme. A guy such as Darren McFadden would have had a bigger immediate impact on the franchise in 2008 but based on what was available at this point Gholston was absolutely the right way for them to go. As J-E-T-S fans would probably agree though, McFadden would have looked pretty good in green...

Thats from draft countdown...

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/results/results1.html

I strongly doubt the Jets would have drafted McFadden even if Crazy Al didn't.

Just can't see Tangini drafting a guy with 15 fumbles. All it would have ment, is the Jets would have had to trade out, and NE would have drafted Gholson, I'm very happy the way it went.

At any rate it's a moot point. HE IS A RAIDER

This scares me to death

If LT could do it smoking crack, .... I see nothing but positivity in that. The only negative is the perception, by so called experts of an attitude that can easily be adjusted just by stepping onto an NFL field. or fighting for a job. Everything else is nothing but awe and praise. If the "laziest SOB can get picked 6th overall, out of the top defense in the country, that means is upside is neverending and he's a monster.

I love what I just read.

We actually may watch the jets collapse some pockets this year instead of watching our D-line disappear stage left every play.

Interesting how even the people who talk negatively about him essentially admit (though not in these words) that he has not just pro-bowl, but HALL OF FAME potential.

Now, anyone who has such hall of fame potential and plays a position of need is worthy of a 1st round pick IMO. Bust risk be damned.

You left off the article where his head coach raves about him and explains the whole "takes plays off" talk.

Found it >>> http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/ny-spjets295667283apr29,0,894692.story

Just because we didn't get McFadden like you wanted, please don't flood the boards with anti-Gholston articles without posting the positive ones. Support the players on the team you supposedly root for.

Are you going to be crying over us losing McFadden all year?

I especially liked the part where Tressel said Gholston dominated Long all day long,not just on the sack that was shown over and over.:):):)

Amazing, I said this 4-6 weeks ago, and everyone thought I was an a..hole.

Just to let you know, people think you're an ahole... because you are an ahole. Just like people think I'm a dick, because I am a dick. It's okay nothing wrong with being an ahole or a dick, just accept it and move on or better yet embrace it.

Archived