Yahoo's Jason Cole calls Erik Ainge a "waste of a pick"

GIJet

Bottom line: C. Jets fans at the draft were thrilled when their team grabbed Gholston to give them another outside pass rusher, another piece in an aggressive offseason. But there are plenty of people around the NFL who contend that Gholston is the biggest potential bust of the first round. There are concerns about whether he really likes the game. That

The Jets FO deserves the benefit of the doubt. They have drafted well and do their homework. Time will tell. I have the same concerns about Gholston and posted here about it often - but the CS and FO must have felt pretty comfortable about him in order to pick him.

The sad thing is that I think he's right.

I really did not like Ainge in college and don't rate him at all.

Ainge was the only pick I really liked other then Gholston. Honestly, you don't get as big as Gholston or get as many sacks as he did over a two year period being lazy. This lazy thing has taken on a life of it's own. Actually, I'm glad he's being called that. It will light a fire under him, to prove them all wrong. I think we could have got Ainge in the 6th, but even in the 5th, that's where you take a chance on a player like him. rounds 5-7 are normally project picks.

First, Jason cole is by no means a pro scout, but he does watch a fair amount of college football. Having said that, i was very dissapointed with his analysis of our draft, especially gholston and ainge. Disregarding the gholston pick, I actually really liked the ainge pick..and here's why;

I believe he was drafted for the sole reason to be a backup and eventually provide competition for clemens. If the jets were truly in despair about their QB situation they wouldnt have let henne, brohme or o'connel get away from them. They instead traded down and waited for the 5th pick to select ainge.

Secondly; he has prototypical size, with a good arm and can read a defense very very well. He isn't athletic, but he could come into our team with a hopefully good oline. He has good pocket awareness, which brady shows can be better than superior mobility with a good oline.

Peope like cole flip out because they can't see him starting this year or the next, but i dont beleive thats why he was drafted. I beleive the jets think pennington will be gone and they'll be in need of a solid backup QB who has the ability to come into the game keep a lead and not lose a game for you. Ainge has that ability and i 100% beleive he could be a starting QB if he becomes more consistent.

Let's just put it this way..if mumbles said he liked ainge for these reasons alone, cole would most likely have praised the pick.

Honestly, I didn't like the Ainge pick. I was very upset when we passed on Colt Brennan twice.

in my opinion Ainge will be a much better QB than Brennan.

The day I listen to a yahoo sports writer for a scouting report is the day that I endorse Rich Kotite as the next Jets Head Coach!

Let me get this straight, the Jets pick a qb in the 5th round when we have QB needs and it's a wasted pick, but the Pats pick one in the 3rd when they have Brady but that's NOT a wasted pick? Their QB will probably never see the field and they used a 3rd rounder on him? Insane reporting.

Bottom line: C. Jets fans at the draft were thrilled when their team grabbed Gholston to give them another outside pass rusher, another piece in an aggressive offseason. But there are plenty of people around the NFL who contend that Gholston is the biggest potential bust of the first round. There are concerns about whether he really likes the game. That

Gholston will be treated like DROB in 3 yrs.. mark my words.

I'll go on record as saying you are wrong. I liked Gholston for the Jets before the draft. He does have the highest "bust potential". Big ****ing deal. I think at a minimum he will be a very solid pass rusher and he has no ceiling. The Jets have plenty of decent LBs but nobody scary. It's about time we have somebody physically superior on D.

The Jets FO deserves the benefit of the doubt. They have drafted well and do their homework. Time will tell. I have the same concerns about Gholston and posted here about it often - but the CS and FO must have felt pretty comfortable about him in order to pick him.

I am curious about that.

I understand why many Patriots fans take the "In Bill we trust" attitude (4 AFC Championships, 3 Super bowl rings, etc). I doubt many Giants fans would be second guessing Tom this draft after winning the super bowl and how well last year's draft picks turned out (although many were questioning him until the end of the season.) Same with a Dolphin fan's giving all benefit of doubt to turnaround Tuna at least for a little while.

But what has the Jets FO and Eric done to deserve the benefit of the doubt?

Gholston will be treated like DROB in 3 yrs.. mark my words.

no way, we didn't trade our whole draft to pick him. D-rob was dealt a ****ty hand, he walked into a town where he had to be all pro every play, every game to be good enough in our eyes.

Gholston needs to get 7 sacks a year to be considered good enough. Even if he is a bust we traded nothing to get him, we took a shot and if we missed, well it was only one draft choice.

Who cares if he "loves the game." Your standard couch potato loves the game, doesn't mean he's any good at it. Antonio Gates doesn't "love the game" he wanted to play basketball. But he was pretty damn good. And then Michael Jordan apparently wanted to be a baseball player because he "loved" the game, but that didn't work.

I think it's more important that you are good at what you do. Gholston looks like he's damn good at what he does, and will do.

just plug that article right on Ainge's locker. whatever happens, happens.

We did not waste a pick...it was the 4th round and he is well worth that... I am from Memphis and I have seen him play...he has not always been that impressive...but he does have talent and the right coach could make him productive...

Archived