QB Competition good or bad for team

4HCrew

Did not take the beat writers long to start stirring up all of the articles over this qb competition. So now each qb will be repeatedly ask the same questions and their teammates the same. At some point is this a distraction for this team? For example say Mangini names Chad the starter going into training camp would that necessarily be a bad thing? If anything could maybe motivate Kellen more? I understand why Mangini is doing it but for whatever reason think the job is Chad's to lose to begin with. So why not avoid the distraction and move on and get this team better without distractions? And if the job is Kellen's to lose then deal with it now and not while during training camp.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
COmpetition is NEVER EVER bad.

I don't agree 100%. Maybe 90%. When competition leads to surrendering (read: wasting) valuable first-team work to Brooks Bollinger, then competition is a bad thing.

If one of the two has NO SHOT at winning the job, like the backup to an unquestioned starter, then competition is a bad thing.

Now this doesn't apply to the 2008 Jets though. Neither of these two are Brooks Bollinger and both have an equally good shot at winning the job.

In a case like this, competition is the only answer.

These beat writers are worthless. There are so many other important things I want to know during the spring/summer:

- Does D'Brick look like he has bulked up any?

- Does Woody look good at RT?

- Does it look like they will get Leon more involved in the offense?

- How does Chansi Stuckey look? Can he be a dependable 3rd WR?

- How are they using Keller?

- How does Jenkins looks as a 3-4 NT?

- Does Gholston look comfortable standing up at OLB?

- How does Pace look?

- Does Miller have all of his speed back?

- How is the competition going for 2nd CB and nickelback?

And all we are going to hear from these nitwits is the same crap about the QB situation.

I don't agree 100%. Maybe 90%. When competition leads to surrendering (read: wasting) valuable first-team work to Brooks Bollinger, then competition is a bad thing.

If one of the two has NO SHOT at winning the job, like the backup to an unquestioned starter, then competition is a bad thing.

Now this doesn't apply to the 2008 Jets though. Neither of these two are Brooks Bollinger and both have an equally good shot at winning the job.

Well if someone has no shot of winning the job, it's not technically competition :)

Only bad things happen within the team when there is a "QB Competition".

Especially when the media gets involved and starts taking sides. (i.e Todd vs Robinson).

I would rather Mangini make a decision here. You turned the keys over to Clemens and giving them back to Chad is basically telling Clemens "you are done here".

QB Controversies divide and destroy alot of teams. I don't like the idea one bit.

It should be good also because this way both QB's will get a lot of reps with the starters and second string guys. It can get everyone comfortable with each other. Since it's only two of them this can be good. If it was like that four way debacle a couple of years ago it gets ridiculous.

These beat writers are worthless. There are so many other important things I want to know during the spring/summer:

- Does D'Brick look like he has bulked up any?

- Does Woody look good at RT?

- Does it look like they will get Leon more involved in the offense?

- How does Chansi Stuckey look? Can he be a dependable 3rd WR?

- How are they using Keller?

- How does Jenkins looks as a 3-4 NT?

- Does Gholston look comfortable standing up at OLB?

- How does Pace look?

- Does Miller have all of his speed back?

- How is the competition going for 2nd CB and nickelback?

And all we are going to hear from these nitwits is the same crap about the QB situation.

I think it's a bit early to answer all those questions except for maybe D'Brick.

I can't see how not having a competition for every spot isn't a good thing. I know money/vets will most of the time win out, but it shouldn't.

Can't, not, isn't? Too many negatives, my head hurts. ;) I think there are instances where a QB competition can be a bad thing. IMO that goes beyond the amount of reps each gets with the first team. QB is generally a mental position. I think having a competition can undermine a QBs confidence and more importantly the team's confidence in the QB. That can be particularly true in a situation where there is a young player ready to step up and an aging vet in the way. In the Jets case I don't think there is anything wrong with it. Neither of these guys deserves the job. One of them has to step up and take it.

I think it's a bit early to answer all those questions except for maybe D'Brick.

Of course. I am talking about this QB drama crap dragging out all the way thru the final training camp. Until the pre-season games start, many fans have to rely only on the info they get from the beat writers. I am sure a lot of casual fans (less fanatic than us - LOL), don't even know they can go to Internet message boards like this and get camp reports from knowledgable fans once the Spring Training Camp starts.

Normally, I would always been on the side of competition at every position, but I'm beginning to suspect that QB is a little different. Equal reps probably benefits Penny for the simple fact that he has played for several years more than KC. As a young QB without many starts, KC needs as many first-team reps as he can get to improve, so the sooner he wins the starting spot the better for him.

Well if someone has no shot of winning the job, it's not technically competition :)

Plus with all the wide open receivers every time they run a crossing route, will they even be able to judge the QBs?

Why was over a week's worth of training camp dedicated to giving Brooks Bollinger all of the first-team snaps then? For show, or because had a legitimate shot at winning the job?

He was setting the tone for future years. Nothing is handed out based on reputation.

Of course. I am talking about this QB drama crap dragging out all the way thru the final training camp. Until the pre-season games start, many fans have to rely only on the info they get from the beat writers. I am sure a lot of casual fans (less fanatic than us - LOL), don't even know they can go to Internet message boards like this and get camp reports from knowledgable fans once the Spring Training Camp starts.

Yeah, unfortunately the QB is always gonna be the story because it sells. It's the "sexy" story. I also don't see that changing since there is an open competition for the starting spot. I think it's good that they're competing since neither deserves much after last season but it is going to get ridiculous with the media.

As a young QB without many starts, KC needs as many first-team reps as he can get to improve, so the sooner he wins the starting spot the better for him.

That's my take. Competition is always a good thing, but in this case; the sooner it's over, the better.

IMHO, it's Kellen's job to lose. I think if the Jets could've gotten any value for Chad in a trade he'd already be gone. I'd install a bunch of bootlegs and bombs into this mini-camp to help end the competition ASAP.

In our specific instance it's not a good thing for a few reasons.

• KC can use all the reps he can get to develop. It isnt like any more practice is going to help Chad develop. He's done developing and is more of a Popeye "I ams what I ams." The exception to this is Pennington does need to work out with new plays and players in the event he is the QB.
  • Chad isnt going to lose the job in practice sessions. The reasons he isnt the answer aren't going to be sufficiently exposed in a typical training camp. He's in his wheelhouse and will be much less likely to make the mistakes that he does make in game pressure situations. He stands only to look good by doing the things he's very accomplished at doing which are just about everything that occurs before the ball in snapped.

I personally am ready and willing to accept a little less accomplishment before the snap to achieve some better results after the snap - but thats just me.

The big bogey here is what kind of plays they want to introduce. If the play selection is made based on Penningtons known inabilities - Clemens might as well go get a good pair of tweezers because he'll be pulling bench splinters out of his azz until Chad ultimately takes his annual "one for the Gipper"

In our specific instance it's not a good thing for a few reasons.
  • KC can use all the reps he can get to develop. It isnt like any more practice is going to help Chad develop. He's done developing and is more of a Popeye "I ams what I ams." The exception to this is Pennington does need to work out with new plays and players in the event he is the QB.
  • Chad isnt going to lose the job in practice sessions. The reasons he isnt the answer aren't going to be sufficiently exposed in a typical training camp. He's in his wheelhouse and will be much less likely to make the mistakes that he does make in game pressure situations. He stands only to look good by doing the things he's very accomplished at doing which are just about everything that occurs before the ball in snapped.

I personally am ready and willing to accept a little less accomplishment before the snap to achieve some better results after the snap - but thats just me.

The big bogey here is what kind of plays they want to introduce. If the play selection is made based on Penningtons known inabilities - Clemens might as well go get a good pair of tweezers because he'll be pulling bench splinters out of his azz until Chad ultimately takes his annual "one for the Gipper"

They dont know how Chad will play with this team... this Oline... this defense... ect ect

I think this just shows that none of the QB's on the JETS roster will be here in a few years...

They dont know how Chad will play with this team... this Oline... this defense... ect ect

I think this just shows that none of the QB's on the JETS roster will be here in a few years...

eC... I was wondering where you were buddy. I even checked to see if you had been on as you had not entered anything in this weeks editions of the neverending story. I was tempted to start a thread honoring your new found restraint - but that would have just ended up like all the rest of them do.:P

Why was over a week's worth of training camp dedicated to giving Brooks Bollinger all of the first-team snaps then? For show, or because had a legitimate shot at winning the job?

While I think he'd have a hard time starting for a D1 team that runs a pro style offense, he did start the last X ( I forget how many) games the previous season....

eC... I was wondering where you were buddy. I even checked to see if you had been on as you had not entered anything in this weeks editions of the neverending story. I was tempted to start a thread honoring your new found restraint - but that would have just ended up like all the rest of them do.:P

haha

Working hard my friend... and cringing at the Bulls offseason so far...

Arent these Chad threads crazy? I will try my best to ignore them!

Good for kellen? yes

Bad for Chad? YES

It will only prove that Chad doesn't have it any more and that Kellen will be handed the starting Job. All of thier teamates will see that Chad's Better days are past him and they will see that with a little protection that Kellen can get it done. Unlike Chad with all the help in the world.His Arm went Bye-Bye 3 years ago.

Good for kellen? yes

Bad for Chad? YES

It will only prove that Chad doesn't have it any more and that Kellen will be handed the starting Job. All of thier teamates will see that Chad's Better days are past him and they will see that with a little protection that Kellen can get it done. Unlike Chad with all the help in the world.His Arm went Bye-Bye 3 years ago.

What does that prove?

Kellen beat a washed up no arm neverwas?

Try again.

With your logic (Chad sucks) Kellen winning mean nothing... If anything it means he sucks for even having to compete for the job.

What does that prove?

Kellen beat a washed up no arm neverwas?

Try again.

With your logic (Chad sucks) Kellen winning mean nothing... If anything it means he sucks for even having to compete for the job.

No it means that since chad is such a swell guy/teamate that they will not crush his ego and give him one last shot ,mean while in the back of thier minds they know they are not going to start this Bum.I bet Kellen already knows he is going to start and that's why Shottie let chad call for the coin flip in camp LOL.

I think in this situation it's ridiculous. The Pennington era is clearly over, in my mind. Hand the starting nod to Clemens at the outset. Make it Clemens' job to lose during the season, don't make it his job to win in camp.

I think in this situation it's ridiculous. The Pennington era is clearly over, in my mind. Hand the starting nod to Clemens at the outset. Make it Clemens' job to lose during the season, don't make it his job to win in camp.

I disagree, they should battle for it.

If he can't beat Chad out then he really has no place out there on the field. I've said it before, the better QB should start, it's up to them to prove who that guy is because it's by no means a foregone conclusion for either player.

That logic makes no sense... what if he sucks?

They just spent a ton of money on Vets... they arent just handing the team over to Kellen...

Archived