Im rooting for Chad Pennington.. Here's why

Chernobyl

Chad is the type of QB that really could make this offense work...

He was terrific in 2006, and with an improved oline I really don't see why he can't be terrific again...

Chad gets the ball out quicker than Clemens.... That's the most important attribute in a QB IMO...

Clemens has one of the slowest releases around, and his accuracy is limited.

He was terrific in 2006, and with an improved oline I really don't see why he can't be terrific again...

Chad gets the ball out quicker than Clemens.... That's the most important attribute in a QB IMO...

I agree with you. Chad is my favorite player. When he had a good OL, and a good running game, he has gotten us to the playoffs, when we had no line he sucked, but if Brady or Manning had a bad OL they wouldn't be as good either.

GO CHAD!

this is probably the most incorrect quote ive ever read on this site. Do you even watch these guys play?

Chad Pennington has a quick release? lol

Maybe Leftwich has a slower one, but not too many others. Whatever the shortcomings are with Clemens (and he has them), having a slower release than Chad Pennington is not among them.

When a QB's average completion (including YAC) is under 10 yards, said QB's completion percentage isn't quite so impressive.

That's the reason he was benched. (That and his untimely picks).

• vs NE: 10.5 ypc
  • vs Mia: 8.3 ypc
  • vs Buf: 9.1 ypc (shut out for 43 minutes, then two 4th quarter interceptions in a close game)
  • vs NYG: 10.9 ypc (3 picks, including 2 in the 4th quarter in a close game)
  • vs Phi: 11.6 ypc (pick in 3rd Q of a 7-point game. No Jets touchdowns with 150 rushing yards helping him out)
  • vs Cin: 13.6 ypc (finally looked good, against a defense down to 2 LB'ers - Schlegel being one of them - and threw a 4th quarter pick returned for a TD when it was still an 8-pt game. Padded his stats with a useless TD after that when we were down by 15 with 3 seconds left in the game.)
  • vs Buf: 8.2 ypc
  • vs NE: 7.4 ypc
  • vs Ten: 10.2 ypc (threw a pick from the Jets' 20 leading to a Tennessee TD, and another from the Titans' 8. And this was one of his more prolific passing games of the season).

That is friggin' pathetic for an 8th-year veteran. If he was throwing a couple dozen TD passes via those dumpoffs, then maybe it can be overlooked a bit. But that's not the case either.

Why would anyone hope Clemens doesn't beat him out for the job?

Instead of rooting for Chad Pennington, root for the Jets as a team instead.

Word, 17TD's ant 16Int's was a terrific by Chad in 2006 huh? Scoring less than 1/3 of the teams points in 2006 with the team only scoring 316 points total was terrific huh? You guys are living in a fantasy world.

Clemens has a "slow" release huh? He nor chad had real protection last year but We've seen Chad since 2002 yet you can tell me this dude has a quick release, however, we've only seen Clemens for 7 games and all of a sudden he's bad, has a slow release etc.? I dont know what Quarterback you've been watching but if he has a quick release then you may have been watching Bret Favre and not Chad Pennington, I think you got the green Jerseys confused. The people on this forum makes me laugh. Its actually fun to argue with you people.

I agree with you. Chad is my favorite player. When he had a good OL, and a good running game, he has gotten us to the playoffs, when we had no line he sucked, but if Brady or Manning had a bad OL they wouldn't be as good either.

GO CHAD!

2 things.

#1. NEVER put Chad and Manning in the same sentence. Thats complete disrespect to the best QB to ever play the game.

#2. NEVER just be satisfied with a playoff appearance, be satisfied with atleast a SB appearance. Any cinderella can go to a playoff, only real teams go to the SB.

2 things.

#1. NEVER put Chad and Manning in the same sentence. Thats complete disrespect to the best QB to ever play the game.

I don't get it? How does mentioning Chad and Manning in the same sentance disrespect Marino and Montana?:confused0082:

The only thing Chad has going for him is his accuracy. He's an accurate pocket passer and makes good decisions out there. He lacks the range and the speed, but if you run the correct route, he'll put it between the numbers. I'll take accuracy and experience for now to get the job done.

I seriously hate it when people make comments like this. You are aware your own comment is doing exactly the same damn thing.:roll:

If Chad wins the starting job, I'll root my heart out for him. But I have to be honest. I hope we don't have to ever see those balloon passes again.

I will always root for the starter, I find it impossible to root for a Jets QB or any Jets player to fail.

I could care less who the starter is as long as he helps the team win games.

I will always root for the starter, I find it impossible to root for a Jets QB or any Jets player to fail.

I could care less who the starter is as long as he helps the team win games.

You also got to think about the future also. Most likely Pennington won't be with us next year.

I seriously hate it when people make comments like this. You are aware your own comment is doing exactly the same damn thing.:roll:

C'mon, it was an obvious comparison. You make that statement to make Chad look better than what he is. By saying that Manning or Brady would have had the problems with this o-line is like saying that Pennington would have thrown 50 TD's last year with NE's Talent at the O-line and his prior experience with Randy Moss as well.

Bottomline is that Manning behind last years O-line would still be better than Chad's 2002 year.

C'mon, it was an obvious comparison. You make that statement to make Chad look better than what he is. By saying that Manning or Brady would have had the problems with this o-line is like saying that Pennington would have thrown 50 TD's last year with NE's Talent at the O-line and his prior experience with Randy Moss as well.

Bottomline is that Manning behind last years O-line would still be better than Chad's 2002 year.

Um no... I disagree.... it all starts up front

Get off my bandwagon! :toot:

Well we are the smart fans... Chad has proven he can play in this league.. Kellen has not... its not rocket science... Kellen can't play.... Most QB's can't... He was a reach IMO anyway... I never saw any Kellen Clemens highlight reels on Youtube.. Did you?? Chad has a bunch....

Well we are the smart fans... Chad has proven he can play in this league.. Kellen has not... its not rocket science... Kellen can't play.... Most QB's can't... He was a reach IMO anyway... I never saw any Kellen Clemens highlight reels on Youtube.. Did you?? Chad has a bunch....

Right...

The JETS do not have a standout QB right now... both are replaceable...

Lets hope one can pull off a great year... Chad or Kellen.

(I dont know why im even going to respond to something that to me doesnt make sense...thats stupid because its obvious why he has no highlights.)

Well, if Kellen had 9 years experience he would have had a highlight reel on youtube too. Its hard to have a highlight reel if you've only played 7 games. I know thats obvious to you, you just wanted something to type.

Matter of Fact. Here's a Kellen's youtube vid....well sort of :headbang:

P.S. Can anyone tell me how to embed a youtube vid inside my message?

Right...

The JETS do not have a standout QB right now... both are replaceable...

Lets hope one can pull off a great year... Chad or Kellen.

Yeah, you're right. Here's the difference though, Chad is replacable given what we've seen the past 8 years. We're able to make a conscious decision of what he's established in his career.

kellen is replacable given what he did in 7 games as a rookie (on field rookie). I dont think thats a conscious decision, especially when there's no clear cut FA QB that can do the job as well as making sure that the Jets can keep as much money.

Leftwich is probably the best FA right now, Culpepper needs the best WR in the game to be productive and he fumbles alot. Really, I'd rather see Kellens then Leftwich behind Mangold. A dude who had a team to himself and now cant get a job in Leftwich... Yet we talk sh_t about a dude who was thrown into a situation and did the best he could with it...matter of fact, did better than the damn starter did.

Like I said, Not only is Kellen "NOT" replacable but he's our future.

Kellens should wear a "HI HATER" shirt, because he has alot of'em.

My comment wasn't comparing Chad and Manning. I was saying give Manning a bad OL he won't be as good as he is now.

How is that comparing them?

You are telling a guy to stop disrespecting a player by comparing him with someone else, while you're here comparing Manning to the best quarterback to ever play the game, which is disrespecting the true best player in the game. How ironic.

GO CHAD!

I bet, even with no offensive line, Brady and Manning could manage more than the 3 whole points Chad "led" us to against Pittsburgh in '04.

Three ****ing points. With a great offensive line and the league's leading rusher. Not to mention a top ten defense.

Too bad Santana Moss and Reggie Tongue had to make big plays. Then the Penningtologists wouldn't have gotten to use Doug Brien as a scapegoat for Chad's miserable ****ing performance.

Terrific in 2006? Really?

17 touchdowns, 16 interceptions, 10-6 record (only ONE against a winning team) and 7 fumbles.

Terrific alright.

Hey, seven fumbles for the whole year is pretty good, considering the year before, he had about seven in week one.

I bet, even with no offensive line, Brady and Manning could manage more than the 3 whole points Chad "led" us to against Pittsburgh in '04.

Three ****ing points. With a great offensive line and the league's leading rusher. Not to mention a top ten defense.

Too bad Santana Moss and Reggie Tongue had to make big plays. Then the Penningtologists wouldn't have gotten to use Doug Brien as a scapegoat for Chad's miserable ****ing performance.

You're a f**king beast troll lol. Good point.

Um no... I disagree.... it all starts up front

If you switched Peyton and Chad last year, the Jets would be a playoff team but the Colts would not have been. Peyton was missing most of his starters, including his #1 WR, sporadic play from his RB, and a rotating door on the O-line. They were using random WRs towards the end, and random bodies on the OL. But Peyton is still a great QB, so he made do with what he had. Chad can not.

Yes, the O-line is important for a QB. But you can't just use the O-line as an excuse, especially when you've shown even with the league's best O-line and the rushing champion, that the best you can do is 3 points in 5 quarters against a good defense. It means you just suck. I don't care what O-line you put in front of David Carr, he still sucks.

If you switched Peyton and Chad last year, the Jets would be a playoff team but the Colts would not have been. Peyton was missing most of his starters, including his #1 WR, sporadic play from his RB, and a rotating door on the O-line. They were using random WRs towards the end, and random bodies on the OL. But Peyton is still a great QB, so he made do with what he had. Chad can not.

Yes, the O-line is important for a QB. But you can't just use the O-line as an excuse, especially when you've shown even with the league's best O-line and the rushing champion, that the best you can do is 3 points in 5 quarters against a good defense. It means you just suck. I don't care what O-line you put in front of David Carr, he still sucks.

Thank You.

Be aware, they will find a way to argue you with you. You know, Compare Penny to Manning and then say thats not what they're doing.

I never saw any Kellen Clemens highlight reels on Youtube.. Did you?? Chad has a bunch....

I prefer the Jets choose their starting QB based on his Madden rating, but I guess "number of YouTube videos," is just about as scientific.

Oh, and please dont forget that he scored less than 1/3 of the teams points. I have to rub that in.

I'm heavily rooting for Clemens over Pennington, but that's a BS stat. If you want to talk about the overall output of the offense being poor, that's fair. To say he only accounted for 1/3 of the teams points is highly misleading. I don't even know where you got your numbers. Is it because he was benched for half the year? Are you not counting drives where he was on the field that ended in a FG or (rare) rushing TD?

The man has a low ceiling. That much has to be obvious even to those who hope he wins the job. Kellen remains unproven, but the potential is there. Outside of Faneca, the Jets didn't go after many sure things this offseason. They went with boom or bust candidates with tons of upside like Gholston, Pace, and Keller. Kellen's another upside guy. I hope they go with him, too.

Look, Ive been a big Chad fan since the beginning but I think some of the recent stats are being distorted. In 2006, Chad did not do alot of things to help this team win. He threw more critical/game changing interceptions that in the entire rest of his career. Defenses crowded the line with 8 and 9 guys in the box without ever paying a price for it. In the Red zone, Chad led a FG machine. How many times, with first and goal to go, did Chad throw the ball in the endzone? Now eliminate the loopers to the sideline. Any left???Passes to the three are worthless. He never challenged the middle 80% of the endzone.

While his completion percentage is good, many are dump offs. A QB is measured by how effective he is in leading his team to victory. Do we want to challenge for the playoffs or start building a winner?

Check the stats. In 2006, Chad played 4 games against top defenses. His QB rating was under 50 in all 4. I won't even talk about 2007. The bottom line is the Jets have been a very weak offensive team for the last two years. Blame the offensive line but that's only partly true. If a defense can constantly put 8 or 9 guys in the blocks, they can blitz from many more angles than most offensive lines need to deal with. Get those extra guys out of the box and you see a safety or linebacker moving up to the line.

Also consider, how do you run the ball when 8 or nine guys are playing up. There are too many guys to block so there have to be free shots. How many times were our RB's hit in the backfield? That is also the price you pay for a pop gun offense.

We may or may not have more success this year with Chad, because it's the weak schedule year (LIKE 2006!!!!). However, against legitimate playoff teams, this offense will average 10 points. That inability to score 20 points against any legitimate playoff team means that Chad's time has passed. Unless you have a top 3 defense, you need 20 points or it's over.

Archived