Jet starting RB's worse than T Jones

lancemehl

While I'm on the subject:

Blair Thomas

Kevan Barlow

I think that's it.

Let's all keep an eye on Michael Turner. I'm very curious. I think we scrambled bigtime for this Jones dude, but I'll give them a break since they made a bunch of nice moves.

Blair Thomas

Kevan Barlow

I think that's it.

Let's all keep an eye on Michael Turner. I'm very curious. I think we scrambled bigtime for this Jones dude, but I'll give them a break since they made a bunch of nice moves.

Dude, you have to be kidding.... If this is what you think, then you really aren't much of a football guy are you.

Dude, you have to be kidding.... If this is what you think, then you really aren't much of a football guy are you.

Tell me who Jones is better than out of:

Snell

McNeil

Hector

J. Johnson

A. Murrell(most underrated RB on jets)

C Martin

That leeaves Blair Thomas and Kevan Barlow, where do I err?

Snell

McNeil

Hector

J. Johnson

C Martin

In 40+ years of history, the Jets have only had 8 starting running backs before Jones? That's where you err.

Oh, and just using your list, Thomas Jones is better than J Johnson, Murrell and Hector.. I'm not old enough to have seen Snell.

Blair Thomas

Kevan Barlow

I think that's it.

I'm sure that Jones dude will be excited to hear that you are giving him a break for the time being.

Snell

McNeil

Hector

J. Johnson

C Martin

lets see what Jones does with adecent OL...

when comparing RBs in NFL you always need to look at OL and overall team strength..

Yeah, Thomas Jones bashers on this site never cease to amaze me. Do they watch the game of Football? Obviously outside of the Jets, they do not. They would know the Offensive Line last year was HORRIBLE and that Jones with a decent line in Chicago ran much, much better. Lets see how he does with a line in 2008 thats the best line he's ever ran behind.

And for the record, the only Jets RB's I'd put ahead of Jones would be Martin, McNeil and Snell. I guess you could throw in Boozer as well maybe?

Yeah, Thomas Jones bashers on this site never cease to amaze me. Do they watch the game of Football? Obviously outside of the Jets, they do not. They would know the Offensive Line last year was HORRIBLE and that Jones with a decent line in Chicago ran much, much better. Lets see how he does with a line in 2008 thats the best line he's ever ran behind.

And for the record, the only Jets RB's I'd put ahead of Jones would be Martin, McNeil and Snell. I guess you could throw in Boozer as well maybe?

riggins also ;)

I'm starting to wonder myself 124...I read time and again how Clemens sucks TJ sucks well if you actually WATCHED the games you'd know that

1; our QB was under pressure on 3 step drops and

2; that our RB's had no holes to run through 90% of the time it was 2 yards and bam

hey there's a reason my avatar is what it is

I would agree. Boozer also had very good hands and was one of the best blocking halfback/runningbacks ever. Run and pass blocking. Snell was absolutely the best pass blocking FB ever.

Jones is an above average back..its his style thats not flashy,hes more of a recking ball than a slasher like past jet greats. He will have well over 1000 yds this year if the oline stays healthy. But Leon is a much better all around back if you ask me.

Jones is an above average back..its his style thats not flashy,hes more of a recking ball than a slasher like past jet greats. He will have well over 1000 yds this year if the oline stays healthy. But Leon is a much better all around back if you ask me.

I'll agree with that.

i agree but i dont think leon could be a guy in one runningback system. and jones ccan get 1000 even if the oline isnt healthy

Yeah, Thomas Jones bashers on this site never cease to amaze me. Do they watch the game of Football? Obviously outside of the Jets, they do not. They would know the Offensive Line last year was HORRIBLE and that Jones with a decent line in Chicago ran much, much better.

So why did Leon Washington average more than a yard better ypc last season with the same exact blockers? I'm sure you'll give the same spiel about Leon being a scat back or something like that but the truth is Leon is just a better player now - faster than TJ and has much better field vision.

Thomas Jones' seasons with Chicago are a thing of the past. This is the NFL, a league where past performance is just that, past performance. Especially at the RB position where players break down a lot faster than anywhere else. Shaun Alexander tore the league up a couple years ago - maybe the Jets should give him a chance too based on past performance.

TJ is 30 and the only way for him to go is down - if he was 23 I'd have a completely different opinion about him, trading a 2nd round pick for him and giving him a big contract.

I agree with this post. TJ will get 1,000 yards by default b/c Mangini will again run the offense around him - a mistake considering Leon is a much better RB now.

The facts are the facts PN. Leon Washington had 71 carries, Jones had 300+. Of course the player with 300+ is going to have a much smaller number than the one with 70+. Are you also going to say Michael Turner is better than LaDainain Tomlinson becuse he averaged more than LT as his back-up?

Leon is a nice role player who can carry the ball 10 times a game, but a full-time starter he is not. Thomas Jones is a proven 1,2-1,300 yard back when he is given a DECENT line.

Washington also has the advantage of being a back who runs to the outside, barely ever hitting the hole.

The facts are the facts PN. Leon Washington had 71 carries, Jones had 300+. Of course the player with 300+ is going to have a much smaller number than the one with 70+. Are you also going to say Michael Turner is better than LaDainain Tomlinson becuse he averaged more than LT as his back-up?

Leon is a nice role player who can carry the ball 10 times a game, but a full-time starter he is not. Thomas Jones is a proven 1,2-1,300 yard back when he is given a DECENT line.

Washington also has the advantage of being a back who runs to the outside, barely ever hitting the hole.

Look I'm not going to start arguing with you about this b/c obviously you've developed an attachment to Thomas Jones ever since he came to the Jets - which is surprising considering how poorly he played last season.

Leon Washington is the better player now. I watched every game last season and he did a much better job finding the crease, he hit the hole harder and has more speed than Jones. If this is a meritocracy Leon should get most of the carries next season based on the fact that he has potential to do a lot more with the same amount of carries that Jones had last season.

I am in agreement that Washington should be given more carries and Jones less, but Washington in no way should receive the majority. He is going to be best utilized as a returner and a back taking 150-200 carries a season. I do not believe he can carry the load and its obvious the coaching staff believes that as well.

A Warrick Dunn he is not. Carrying the load led him to injuries at Florida State.

So why did Leon Washington average more than a yard better ypc last season with the same exact blockers? I'm sure you'll give the same spiel about Leon being a scat back or something like that but the truth is Leon is just a better player now - faster than TJ and has much better field vision.

Thomas Jones' seasons with Chicago are a thing of the past. This is the NFL, a league where past performance is just that, past performance. Especially at the RB position where players break down a lot faster than anywhere else. Shaun Alexander tore the league up a couple years ago - maybe the Jets should give him a chance too based on past performance.

TJ is 30 and the only way for him to go is down - if he was 23 I'd have a completely different opinion about him, trading a 2nd round pick for him and giving him a big contract.

By your retarded argument LT is a worse RB then Michael Turner, since Turner put up a better YPC average behind the same line. You can't make an argument based on a backups numbers compared to the starter. If Leon started last year without Jones pounding the defense 20+ times a game behind our **** Oline do you really think his numbers would have been any better? Stop trying to make an argument comparing their YPC average and wait to see how he does behind a real ****ing O-line. This is getting ridiculous comparing their YPC average. Guess who else average more YPC then Tomlinson in SD? Jesse Chatman. Should we start him since he's clearly better then a first ballot HOFer in Tomlinson.

Snell

McNeil

Hector

J. Johnson

C Martin

Dude, you're talking nonsense. Matter of fact, your signature is even nonsense.

Last year our defense didn't belong in the NFL, we sucked if Favre was QB

2 Years ago we were 10-6 with Chad starting every game, we got bounced by the Champs in wild card

3 years ago, chad was hurt and we SUCKED

4 years ago Chad played all year and we were 10-6 a FG away from the title game,

WHAT'S THE PROBLEM?????????????????

You got to be kidding me. Please stop using Chads less than lack luster career as some type of timeline of success.

to tell you the "problem".

This is problem #1. "4 years ago"

The game sent the Jets to the divisional round against the 15-1 Pittsburgh Steelers. In the divisional round, the Jets played the heavily favored Steelers extremely tough. While the offense struggled producing only a field goal, a punt return by Santana Moss and interception return by Reggie Tongue kept the Jets in the game. With the score tied at 17-17 late in the fourth quarter, Doug Brien lined up for a 47-yard field goal attempt that would have put the Jets up. However it hit the crossbar of the goal post just short of being successful. (You say we went 10-6 this year and we lost a playoff game by a field goal and you ask "whats the problem". The problem is that Doug Brien, Reggie Tongue which is on defense, and Santana moss all scored more points than Chad Pennington that game. Chad's offense put up 0 points and you say it like we were just "a kick away from the title game". What you should say is that we were a punt Return for a TD, and Interception return TD and "2" Field goals away from the title game cuz we certainly werent a TD pass away for 4 complete quarters. put it to you like this. The Special Teams did their Job and got us points, The Defense did their Job and got us points and Doug did his job and got us points....what did Chad's offense do to get us to the title game? Im not sh_tting on him...Im just tired of this dude quote on quote "managing" preseason, regular season and playoff games...and even more, people asking "whats the problem" like they cant see whats right in front of them. he's a back up, face it.)

This is problem #2.

On January 7, 2007, the Jets played rival AFC East champion New England Patriots. The Jets had both beaten and lost to the Patriots in the regular season. While the Jets took an early 10-7 lead after a field goal and a 77-yard touchdown catch and run by Jerricho Cotchery, which was the second longest pass play in Wild Card history, the Jets were not able to score another touchdown, and the Patriots closed out the game after two turnovers by the Jets offense. The Jets postseason ended with a 37-16 loss. One notable aspect of the game was the rivalry between Patriot head coach Bill Belichick and Jet head coach Eric Mangini. The two were not on good terms, and their relationship was widely publicized before the game. Regardless, at games end, the two embraced. (First off, lets get this straight, its not like Chad threw a 77 Yard Bomb to Jerricho. Anyone who seen the game knows what happened....Great play by Jerricho, lets put it like that. Chad cannot and hasnt taken over an important game when we needed him to. Please name 1.....PLEASSSSEEEE. Chad would be the best back-up QB in the league...but thats it. He's like Stephon Marbury. A Great Back-up player....just to boneheaded to recognize their damn role. back on subject though, let me get back to facts. Jerricho broke tackles and made an amazing 77 yard TD play to contribute to a playoff game and Mike Nugent did his part as well. Where's Chad in this equation?)

Problem #3.

What else is there to this dudes career seriously? His amazing game against againt the Colts in 2002? Well Check it, Peyton has a ring...he's won meaningful playoff games on his arm and the ones he lost he wasnt (let me repeat that....WASNT) the reason why they lost. It was always the Defense not showing up to work that day or the patriots cheating there way to another round.

Solution: We have 4 QB's at camp, but only 3 should have an honest shot at becoming a starter while Chad being at best a #2.

Thats everyones problem with penny and your sig.

Snell

McNeil

Hector

J. Johnson

C Martin

I think AEC4 just took you to the woodshed. Ouch ! :P

Dude, you're talking nonsense. Matter of fact, your signature is even nonsense.

Last year our defense didn't belong in the NFL, we sucked if Favre was QB

2 Years ago we were 10-6 with Chad starting every game, we got bounced by the Champs in wild card

3 years ago, chad was hurt and we SUCKED

4 years ago Chad played all year and we were 10-6 a FG away from the title game,

WHAT'S THE PROBLEM?????????????????

You got to be kidding me. Please stop using Chads less than lack luster career as some type of timeline of success.

to tell you the "problem".

This is problem #1. "4 years ago"

The game sent the Jets to the divisional round against the 15-1 Pittsburgh Steelers. In the divisional round, the Jets played the heavily favored Steelers extremely tough. While the offense struggled producing only a field goal, a punt return by Santana Moss and interception return by Reggie Tongue kept the Jets in the game. With the score tied at 17-17 late in the fourth quarter, Doug Brien lined up for a 47-yard field goal attempt that would have put the Jets up. However it hit the crossbar of the goal post just short of being successful. (You say we went 10-6 this year and we lost a playoff game by a field goal and you ask "whats the problem". The problem is that Doug Brien, Reggie Tongue which is on defense, and Santana moss all scored more points than Chad Pennington that game. Chad's offense put up 0 points and you say it like we were just "a kick away from the title game". What you should say is that we were a punt Return for a TD, and Interception return TD and "2" Field goals away from the title game cuz we certainly werent a TD pass away for 4 complete quarters. put it to you like this. The Special Teams did their Job and got us points, The Defense did their Job and got us points and Doug did his job and got us points....what did Chad's offense do to get us to the title game? Im not sh_tting on him...Im just tired of this dude quote on quote "managing" preseason, regular season and playoff games...and even more, people asking "whats the problem" like they cant see whats right in front of them. he's a back up, face it.)

This is problem #2.

On January 7, 2007, the Jets played rival AFC East champion New England Patriots. The Jets had both beaten and lost to the Patriots in the regular season. While the Jets took an early 10-7 lead after a field goal and a 77-yard touchdown catch and run by Jerricho Cotchery, which was the second longest pass play in Wild Card history, the Jets were not able to score another touchdown, and the Patriots closed out the game after two turnovers by the Jets offense. The Jets postseason ended with a 37-16 loss. One notable aspect of the game was the rivalry between Patriot head coach Bill Belichick and Jet head coach Eric Mangini. The two were not on good terms, and their relationship was widely publicized before the game. Regardless, at games end, the two embraced. (First off, lets get this straight, its not like Chad threw a 77 Yard Bomb to Jerricho. Anyone who seen the game knows what happened....Great play by Jerricho, lets put it like that. Chad cannot and hasnt taken over an important game when we needed him to. Please name 1.....PLEASSSSEEEE. Chad would be the best back-up QB in the league...but thats it. He's like Stephon Marbury. A Great Back-up player....just to boneheaded to recognize their damn role. back on subject though, let me get back to facts. Jerricho broke tackles and made an amazing 77 yard TD play to contribute to a playoff game and Mike Nugent did his part as well. Where's Chad in this equation?)

Problem #3.

What else is there to this dudes career seriously? His amazing game against againt the Colts in 2002? Well Check it, Peyton has a ring...he's won meaningful playoff games on his arm and the ones he lost he wasnt (let me repeat that....WASNT) the reason why they lost. It was always the Defense not showing up to work that day or the patriots cheating there way to another round.

Solution: We have 4 QB's at camp, but only 3 should have an honest shot at becoming a starter while Chad being at best a #2.

Thats everyones problem with penny and your sig.

Dude, cut this **** out! There are plenty of threads to berate his irrationally high rating of Chad. This is the thread where we bash his irrationally high rating of all past Jets running backs.

Dude, cut this **** out! There are plenty of threads to berate his irrationally high rating of Chad. This is the thread where we bash his irrationally high rating of all past Jets running backs.

Im starting to get the feeling that you're stalking me...or you have like a football crush on me. I think though you tell me to cut it out that you actually get excited when you see me post given that I usually see you post right after.

:funny_post:

Oh, and for the record, I'll speak about whatever I want to speak about....as long as I know that I have a fanbase...lmao (joking.....but seriously)

TJ in Chicago might be in the past but he basically carried their anemic Offense the year before last and tore it up in the Super Bowl. Then he came to the Jets last year and had no OL and no passing game and still managed about 1200 yds. Tj is not nearly as worn down as Shaun Alexander or any of the other HB's that are over 30. He has never shown any signs of that. If anything he has gotten better over the last few years (last year would have been a task for any HB with that OL). He has only started a few years and he is in tremendous shape.

Also they didn't trade a 2nd round pick for him and $5 mill a year is not all that much for a starting HB in this era. They swapped picks in the 2nd rd to be exact. They also still landed David Harris in the 2nd rd and drafted Revis early on last year as well. How exactly is there a complaint about what was given up for TJ?

Now when TJ really tears it up this year with a good OL and more blocking depth at TE and FB (not to mention a play-action passing game that may actually work) we can stop this nonsense. Of course I am hoping that Leon gets worked in more as well but complaining about TJ is the last thing a Jets fan needs to be worried about right now. HB is a solid and deep position on this team. TJ is a very good HB.

Im starting to get the feeling that you're stalking me...or you have like a football crush on me. I think though you tell me to cut it out that you actually get excited when you see me post given that I usually see you post right after.

:funny_post:

Oh, and for the record, I'll speak about whatever I want to speak about....as long as I know that I have a fanbase...lmao (joking.....but seriously)

Who are you?

#27Dominator is a child, who cannot deal with light and/or good-natured teasing. Plus he also (allegedly) has both male and female genetalia.

I don't care what you say, I am not adopting this as my new sig! Besides, it's not all true! That was one time. The female genitalia was not mine! I was holding it for a friend!

By your retarded argument LT is a worse RB then Michael Turner, since Turner put up a better YPC average behind the same line. You can't make an argument based on a backups numbers compared to the starter. If Leon started last year without Jones pounding the defense 20+ times a game behind our **** Oline do you really think his numbers would have been any better? Stop trying to make an argument comparing their YPC average and wait to see how he does behind a real ****ing O-line. This is getting ridiculous comparing their YPC average. Guess who else average more YPC then Tomlinson in SD? Jesse Chatman. Should we start him since he's clearly better then a first ballot HOFer in Tomlinson.

Wow, you're actually comparing Thomas Jones to Ladainian Tomlinson. You're an idiot.

Wow, you're actually comparing Thomas Jones to Ladainian Tomlinson. You're an idiot.

No, but it's the same concept. I'm saying you're an idiot for comparing a primary runner who gets the ball 20+ times a game to a secondary runner. You claim Leon Washington is a better runner because his YPC average, but Michael Turner and Jesse Chatman both averaged significantly more then Tomlinson behind the same line in SD. I'm not saying Jones is on the same level as Tomlinson but I am saying the basis of your argument is ****ing stupid. Why don't we wait to see what he can do behind a O-line that isn't the laughing stock of the NFL, before we pass judgment.

If the line stays healthy he'll have 1000+?

He had over 1,000 last year without Faneca, Richardson, Franks or Woody on an offense with a very poor passing attack.

I just realized, did you know he had only 2 fumbles last year on 310 carries, neither of which was lost?

Archived