Source: Jets won't pursue Brett Favre

TaborJet

BY GARY MYERS

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Saturday, July 12th 2008, 10:23 PM

amd_favre-throws.jpg

The Jets will not go after Brett Favre if the Packers decide to release him.

Brett Favre came much closer to being a Jet in 1991 than he will in 2008. They have virtually ruled out pursuing him if the Packers trade or release him.

"It's a long shot right now that the Jets have any interest. I wouldn't spend any time on that," an NFL source familiar with the Jets' thinking told the Daily News Saturday. "I can't rule out 100% they won't have interest, but I would say it's 90%-95%. I would be very surprised if he wound up with the Jets."

Despite their 4-12 record last year, the Jets will follow through with their plan to let Kellen Clemens, who finished last year as the starter, and Chad Pennington, who began last year as the starter, battle through an open competition in training camp to determine who starts Sept. 7 in Miami.

Why don't the Jets want Favre? The source says there are four factors:

Salary: $12 million this season

Packers Trade Demands: The source says he expects Green Bay to want at least a second-round pick.

Commitment: Is Favre coming back for one more year? Two years? Would he get in the way of progress?

"Of course, if the Packers cut Favre and he's willing to play for the minimum, things could change," the source said. "But that's not going to happen."

Favre, who retired in March and has been waffling on his decision for the last four months, asked the Packers on Friday to release him. Not surprisingly, the team said Saturday they will not do that. The Packers are committed to Aaron Rodgers and even though Favre would give them a better chance to win, if Favre returns to Green Bay, the Packers have indicated it will be as a backup. That makes a trade the most realistic option, although as of Saturday, Packers GM Ted Thompson said they had not received any inquiries from other teams. The Packers reportedly were willing to take Favre back in late March, weeks after he retired when he told them he wanted to play again, but Favre then changed his mind and decided to remain retired - until now.

Because the Vikings and Bears, the Pack's competition in the NFC North, would be expected to pursue him, it's inconceivable Green Bay will cut him. It's more likely the Packers will give Favre's agent, Bus Cook, permission to speak with other clubs and then try to accommodate him. If the Packers agree to trade Favre, then the Bucs, Panthers, Ravens, Dolphins and Redskins would appear logical landing spots.

The Jets would seem to be a good fit, too. They went on a wild spending spree during the offseason and are in a win-now mode. Favre is an upgrade over Pennington and his presence would allow Clemens to learn from him for a year or two. Although Jets owner Woody Johnson told the Daily News in March that coach Eric Mangini will be back in 2009 regardless of the team's record, he will be in line for a long-term extension after this season if the Jets do well. Mangini is going into the third year of his four-year deal and a bad season could mean just a one-year extension.

For Favre, coming to the Jets would allow him to finish out his career in the biggest market in the country. In the '91 draft, the Jets had a deal worked out with the Cardinals allowing them to jump one spot over the Falcons to take the future Hall of Famer early in the second round. But the Cards backed out at the last minute and Atlanta took Favre one spot ahead of the Jets. The Jets took Browning Nagle instead and Atlanta traded Favre to Green Bay after a disappointing rookie year.

Dammit. I'm sick of sh*t QBs. I wish we'd gotten Matt Ryan, or Colt Brennan in the draft. I have no idea how anyone could pass on Colt Brennan that many times, he had I believe 59 TDs last year. Who cares if he got hurt, he's recovered now and had some decent numbers at the combine.

yeah god forbid the Jets have a championship caliber qb.... but sure spend 40 million on a LB that has proved next to nothing in the NFL

I agree 4HCrew. I cant understand how NYJETS fans dont realize we have a need at QB.Brett Favre would fix that need NOW.Has being a NYJETS fan warped these individuals minds and do they want to win is what I question? Clemens is not the answer.DAMMIT

Yeah, lets not spend $12 million, maybe more if he wants to play past 2008, on one of the best Quarterbacks to win the game, a Quarterback who over the years (prior to 2007) has won multiple games with little at the receiver position (and after Coles & Cotchery, thats exactly what we have). Lets, as 4HCrew said, dish out the money ($42 million over six years) to an Outside Linebacker whose biggest sack total in a season so far is 6.5.

Don't you just love this dumb**** organization?

Dammit. I'm sick of sh*t QBs. I wish we'd gotten Matt Ryan, or Colt Brennan in the draft. I have no idea how anyone could pass on Colt Brennan that many times, he had I believe 59 TDs last year. Who cares if he got hurt, he's recovered now and had some decent numbers at the combine.

It had nothing to do with the fact he got hurt, it had to do with the fact that he has a weak arm and the fact he played in a stat frenzied run and shoot offense. The same offense that made guys like Joey Harrington and Akili Smith look all world in college. Colt Brennan sucks.

i like Colt brennan too................................but he comes from an offense where guys by the name of Timmy Chang and Nick Rolovich

Ashley Lelie and Chad Owens looked like star recievers.

the Run and shoot is and awesome point scoring offense, but your Qb gets killed and his numbers are inflated comparable to his talent

btw the combine is what killed his draft stock, he was woefully inaccurate.

all that being said if Jim Zorn is the coach in 3 years for washington, i think C.B will be challenging Campbell for the job. mainly because of the offense he runs

The reason the Jets won't go after a trade with Green Bay is simple - CHAD PENNINGTON.

Now before anyone goes after me over the "CHAD IS THE MAN" issue, he's not...

...What is the issue is his contract against our cap.

We would have to box him up in a trade deal the moment after we signed Favre in order to lower our cap space...

...and there's the real reason they are not going after Brett... :confused:

I agree 4HCrew. I cant understand how NYJETS fans dont realize we have a need at QB.Brett Favre would fix that need NOW.Has being a NYJETS fan warped these individuals minds and do they want to win is what I question? Clemens is not the answer.DAMMIT

there are two brett favres, old favre, and young favre. Old Favre is what we would be buying, he would probably get us to the playoffs but would not get us any championships.

there are two brett favres, old favre, and young favre. Old Favre is what we would be buying, he would probably get us to the playoffs but would not get us any championships.

Old Favre is still better than anything we've got, sadly.

We can try raiding a team's backup QB at some point I guess. Not very many teams are going to let a starting caliber QB go though.

I am so disappointed that the jets won't even look into aquiring Farve. It's true that Farve isn't the same qb he was 5 years ago, but he is still better then anything that we have. This team has an improved line, on paper anyways. Which will help both the run and the pass. It has an improved d line. The two spots we need help at are cb and qb. Here's a chance to get better and the jets thumb their nose up. Very sad.

The Jets could easily dump Pennington in order to bring in Favre or perhaps they could try to work out a deal where they would send him to Minnesota. Most likely the way it would go would be to just dump him and let him sign elsewhere. The Jets could easily bring in Favre if they wanted to. A second round pick is not a high asking price for him, especially the 2nd or 3rd round pick we're likely to receive for Jonathan Vilma.

Favre could also reduce his salary by taking a pay cut. He'd be playing in New York making millions and millions from endorsments. The Jets can easily make this work with the money, lets not be foolish.

With Favre this team is a Top 4 team in the AFC along with New England, San Diego and Indianapolis. That late 2nd round pick wouldn't matter, at least not to me. A 60th or heck maybe even a 64th overall selection or Brett Favre. Hmmm, boy thats a toughy.

The Jets could easily dump Pennington in order to bring in Favre or perhaps they could try to work out a deal where they would send him to Minnesota. Most likely the way it would go would be to just dump him and let him sign elsewhere. The Jets could easily bring in Favre if they wanted to. A second round pick is not a high asking price for him, especially the 2nd or 3rd round pick we're likely to receive for Jonathan Vilma.

Favre could also reduce his salary by taking a pay cut. He'd be playing in New York making millions and millions from endorsments. The Jets can easily make this work with the money, lets not be foolish.

With Favre this team is a Top 4 team in the AFC along with New England, San Diego and Indianapolis. That late 2nd round pick wouldn't matter, at least not to me. A 60th or heck maybe even a 64th overall selection or Brett Favre. Hmmm, boy thats a toughy.

This is quite true. But knowing the old Jet luck, even if we did all this, Favre would get injured for the season on his first snap.

The reason the Jets won't go after a trade with Green Bay is simple - CHAD PENNINGTON.

Now before anyone goes after me over the "CHAD IS THE MAN" issue, he's not...

...What is the issue is his contract against our cap.

We would have to box him up in a trade deal the moment after we signed Favre in order to lower our cap space...

...and there's the real reason they are not going after Brett... :confused:

The Jets are not hurt financially by letting Pennington go. Since it's already after June 1st, no matter what they do with him (keep him for 1 year, keep him for 2 years, or cut him at any time) he counts salary + $3M in 2008 and 2009. Of course if he's traded/cut, the salary is zero & it's just the $3M alone each year.

What about swapping Pennington and a 3rd for Favre. Sperm whats it looking like for cap #s. Since I'm pretty sure the bonuses for both would get washed and Pennington could provide a solid back-up and mentor for Rodgers

If we did an even swap like that then the net for the Jets is that Favre costs $6M more than Pennington (Favre salary is $12M; Pennington's is $6M). Bonuses don't factor into it because Pennington's SB cap hits are now set in stone no matter what we do with him.

Only GB absorbs Favre's signing bonus and I think that's already done anyway. I'm a little hazy on the salary cap rules from way back in 2001 when he got his mega-deal, but I thought they could only stretch the SB over 7 years (which means it's all been absorbed by now). Even if they were allowed to stretch it over the 10 years of his deal, it wouldn't be much. $3M total, and if that's the case, it already accelerated to GB's 2008 cap when he retired.

So the net result is what I stated at the beginning: salary is the only variable. The signing bonus plays zero factor for GB in any move (or if kept) involving Favre and zero for the Jets (if moved or kept) in any deal involving Pennington.

We cant just cut Pennington... Parcells would jump all over that.

BY GARY MYERS

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Saturday, July 12th 2008, 10:23 PM

amd_favre-throws.jpg

The Jets will not go after Brett Favre if the Packers decide to release him.

Brett Favre came much closer to being a Jet in 1991 than he will in 2008. They have virtually ruled out pursuing him if the Packers trade or release him.

"It's a long shot right now that the Jets have any interest. I wouldn't spend any time on that," an NFL source familiar with the Jets' thinking told the Daily News Saturday. "I can't rule out 100% they won't have interest, but I would say it's 90%-95%. I would be very surprised if he wound up with the Jets."

Despite their 4-12 record last year, the Jets will follow through with their plan to let Kellen Clemens, who finished last year as the starter, and Chad Pennington, who began last year as the starter, battle through an open competition in training camp to determine who starts Sept. 7 in Miami.

Why don't the Jets want Favre? The source says there are four factors:

Salary: $12 million this season

Packers Trade Demands: The source says he expects Green Bay to want at least a second-round pick.

Commitment: Is Favre coming back for one more year? Two years? Would he get in the way of progress?

"Of course, if the Packers cut Favre and he's willing to play for the minimum, things could change," the source said. "But that's not going to happen."

Favre, who retired in March and has been waffling on his decision for the last four months, asked the Packers on Friday to release him. Not surprisingly, the team said Saturday they will not do that. The Packers are committed to Aaron Rodgers and even though Favre would give them a better chance to win, if Favre returns to Green Bay, the Packers have indicated it will be as a backup. That makes a trade the most realistic option, although as of Saturday, Packers GM Ted Thompson said they had not received any inquiries from other teams. The Packers reportedly were willing to take Favre back in late March, weeks after he retired when he told them he wanted to play again, but Favre then changed his mind and decided to remain retired - until now.

Because the Vikings and Bears, the Pack's competition in the NFC North, would be expected to pursue him, it's inconceivable Green Bay will cut him. It's more likely the Packers will give Favre's agent, Bus Cook, permission to speak with other clubs and then try to accommodate him. If the Packers agree to trade Favre, then the Bucs, Panthers, Ravens, Dolphins and Redskins would appear logical landing spots.

The Jets would seem to be a good fit, too. They went on a wild spending spree during the offseason and are in a win-now mode. Favre is an upgrade over Pennington and his presence would allow Clemens to learn from him for a year or two. Although Jets owner Woody Johnson told the Daily News in March that coach Eric Mangini will be back in 2009 regardless of the team's record, he will be in line for a long-term extension after this season if the Jets do well. Mangini is going into the third year of his four-year deal and a bad season could mean just a one-year extension.

For Favre, coming to the Jets would allow him to finish out his career in the biggest market in the country. In the '91 draft, the Jets had a deal worked out with the Cardinals allowing them to jump one spot over the Falcons to take the future Hall of Famer early in the second round. But the Cards backed out at the last minute and Atlanta took Favre one spot ahead of the Jets. The Jets took Browning Nagle instead and Atlanta traded Favre to Green Bay after a disappointing rookie year.

This is called a smoke screen just to not get Jets fans hopes up. Of course Woody will make an offer, but he doesent want us fans to be dissapointed when we dont get him, so hes acting like hes nothing to the organization.

We will trade for him.

I liked Colt a lot as a college QB but he has some SERIOUS accuracy problems not to mention that his body would NEVER hold up to an NFL season. He was passed over that many times for a reason.

Colt Brennan? You're really complaining about Colt Brennan? There was a reason he was taken 186th overall.

College success has nothing to do with NFL success. Remember Kliff Kingsbury and Ken Dorsey? Probably not.

Colt Brennan? You're really complaining about Colt Brennan? There was a reason he was taken 186th overall.

College success has nothing to do with NFL success. Remember Kliff Kingsbury and Ken Dorsey? Probably not.

Brennan is still a huge upgrade to Brennan. Ainge might be too, but I honestly never payed attention to him when he was in college. Was he good?

I for one rather the Jets wouldnt touch Farve just on the reason that it would only be a bandaid to our bigger problems than a real cure and all it would do is hurt the team because it would take away the confidence of the qb's we already have as well as wreck team chemistry, which is already somewhat strained due to the QB controversy already.

I liked what I saw from Clemens last year and think he deserves the chance to show us what he's got when the pieces are in place. Bringing Farve in would only be a one year fix that might get us to the playoffs but not much more than the qb's we already got.

I did not like what I saw at all from Clemens.

I saw a little from him, I'm not saying lets carve a bust for him in Canton already, but I think he did enough to garner a chance to earn the job. he was 3 and 5 should have been at least 4 and 4 with an awful oline and hurt recievers most of the time. I just think having given him the tools this offseason I think he can make it work and be a decent QB.

Bringing Farve in, aside from bringing down his confidence, would deprive us of seeing what we really have over the course of a 16 game schedule, and set us back even further in the long run.

If Clemens really sucks, I want to know now so we can address it come draft time (unless Ainge makes some strides), not next year where we would just have to keep putting of the decision until we waste the talent we already have here.

If we don't pursue him, then I think we're making a mistake.

I honestly believe adding Favre would turn this team from a Playoff Contender to a Superbowl Contender. When you have an oppurtunity to do that to your team, you ****ing well take it.

Archived