Chad sucks!

lancemehl

You are just blatantly trolling here. Hype or not, Favre is easily among the top 10 QBs of all time. There is no argument on this.

He is one of the better QBs to have played the game. I definitely would put him in the top 20. Possibly on the low end of the top 10, but that is not a lock. He is a lock for the HOF.

But that is not really relevant.

Go sign Joe Montana if you want the roster to have the best QB to have ever played the game.

Favre's career is significantly better than Chad's. No comparison. No debate. Not worth discussing.

However, as we start the 2008 season who has had the best career is irrelevant. Chad is improving as a QB, Farve is declining. And at this moment in time Farve is only slightly ahead of Chad. Very good chance by next season Chad will pass him, not carrearwise but seasonwise.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He is one of the better QBs to have played the game. I definitely would put him in the top 20. Possibly on the low end of the top 10, but that is not a lock. He is a lock for the HOF.

Go sign Joe Montana if you want the roster to have the best QB to have ever played the game.

Favre's career is significantly better than Chad's. No comparison. No debate. Not worth discussing.

However, as we start the 2008 season who has had the best career is irrelevant. Chad is improving as a QB, Farve is declining. And at this moment in time Farve is only slightly ahead of Chad. Very good chance by next season Chad will pass him, not carrearwise but seasonwise.

I call bull****. I like Chad more than most on this site, but did Chad improve 2006 to 2007? He's 32, when does he plan to finally pull this rabbit out of his ass?

I saw them both throw the ball for basically the past decade and an trained monkey knows that Favre can still sling it a hell of a lot better in '08 than Chad.

If anyone really wanted him they'd have offered up a 7th just to make sure there was no bidding war for him.

Anticipating correctly that there would be no bidding war for Pennington, no one offered the Jets anything.

They trade for Pennington, even a 7th rounder, and they have to give him $6 million this year. Let him become a free agent, and they correctly figured that it would take less than $6 million to outbid everyone. Pennington's price at this moment is obviously less than it would have been in February, when he would have had time to learn the offense at a leisurely pace. Whether he would have been worth $6 milion in February is another issue-the fact is that he's worth less now than in February.

1 year $4M for a starting QB, on a brand new contract, is crap. If he was really that in-demand, other teams who have at least questionable expected-performance starters (SF, Chicago, KC, Minny) would have been falling over themselves for a shot at a known-quantity, veteran, starting QB.

Fact is, the pathetic Dolphins were the only ones that offered him a starting job.

Do we know for a fact that Minnesota didn't want him? What you say after the guy has gone to somebody else might not have much connection to whatever feelers you might have actually put out. Parcells contacted the Jets even before Chad was released, so we know that he went after him aggressively. Parcells' made every effort to wrap Pennington up before negotiations elsewhere even had much time to develop, and it paid off with Chad in a Dolphins uniform

As for that "crap" $4 million for one year, in 2007 that would have made Pennington the 16th highest paid QB in the league. As there are 32 teams in the NFL-well, figure out where that ranks.

And again, I must emphasize the timing. The last two weeks of the Favre saga people were speculating if it wasn't too late even for the likes of Brett Favre to get a contract, if there was enough time to learn the offense and get settled in. And look what Chad gets even a few days after that. Anybody who only enters the market a few weeks before Opening Day and within days emerges with both a starting NFL job and a $4 million annual salary has absolutely proved he is a valuable commodity. There is simply no possibility of talking your way around that.

Do we know for a fact that Minnesota didn't want him?

No we don't know this. It is quite conceivable that more that Pennington's first choice was Miami over the Vikings.

Favre who felt mistreated by Packer management wanted to stay in the division so he could play the Pack twice a year obstentiably to prove the management wrong.

Chad's first choice very well could have been to be a starting QB in the AFC East. The Pats certainly were not going to start him nor pay him as a starter. (Although I personally would love to have him backing up Brady, he is head and shoulders above the Pat's backup QBs) That leaves the Bills and Fins.

The season opener won't be the superbowl. But if Chad can lead the Dolphins to a victory while embarrassing the Jets defense and Eric Mangini it may very well feel like winning the SB to him.

No matter your opinion of Chad 's abilities, he no doubt feels he is much better than Jets management and fans give him credit for. And Miami is the perfect place for him to try to prove it.

That's why a team who plays him twice a year and is run by the greatest football mind of our era picked him up in a heartbeat so the 6 other teams interested wouldn't nab him and NOT even make a competition of it, he was named STARTER but this forum is full of geniuses so he must suck!

The same genius who brought Testeverde and Bledsoe to the Cowboys? I think that had more to do with the 21st century version of Parcells being out of touch and clinging on to over the hill players that he knows. Gee, that kind of sounds like the same situation with Chad.

That's why a team who plays him twice a year and is run by the greatest football mind of our era picked him up in a heartbeat so the 6 other teams interested wouldn't nab him and NOT even make a competition of it, he was named STARTER but this forum is full of geniuses so he must suck!

Chad doesnt suck the NYJETS just needed a change and needed to move on.The opportunity to acquire a franchise QB who could also tutor the back-ups. I wish Chad the best except when he plays the NYJETS.

They trade for Pennington, even a 7th rounder, and they have to give him $6 million this year. Let him become a free agent, and they correctly figured that it would take less than $6 million to outbid everyone. Pennington's price at this moment is obviously less than it would have been in February, when he would have had time to learn the offense at a leisurely pace. Whether he would have been worth $6 milion in February is another issue-the fact is that he's worth less now than in February.

So Miami couldn't wait to sign him, they wanted him SO badly, they offered up $4M for the year, and are still probably $10-20M under the cap. But $6M and suddenly he's not worth it? A starting QB, who other teams also want so badly, who you desperately need so badly you sign him immediately isn't worth $2M in the first year?

LOL!

I guess they don't want him that badly after all to guarantee getting him over all other teams.

Do we know for a fact that Minnesota didn't want him? What you say after the guy has gone to somebody else might not have much connection to whatever feelers you might have actually put out. Parcells contacted the Jets even before Chad was released, so we know that he went after him aggressively. Parcells' made every effort to wrap Pennington up before negotiations elsewhere even had much time to develop, and it paid off with Chad in a Dolphins uniform
Total nonsense. There is no way in hell Parcells "wrapped up" Pennington without his agent speaking to every single NFL team that could have interest.

Miami was the only team in the league who offered him a real shot at starting in 2008, and that was the reason he went there.

And regarding Minnesota, it was reported at the time that they didn't make any offer to Pennington. There were like 6 teams contacted by his agent; 3 teams that had interest (Miami, KC, and NE) and only Miami said he would 100% be the backup QB.

As for that "crap" $4 million for one year, in 2007 that would have made Pennington the 16th highest paid QB in the league. As there are 32 teams in the NFL-well, figure out where that ranks.
False. That is just incorrect and if you looked it up you know it. You are using Pennington's $3.5M salary (and a $500K roster bonus) and comparing that to, say, Vince Young. Vince Young has a $1.5M salary and you're suggesting that because of that, Pennington is the higher paid QB. Meanwhile you ignore the $13M in bonuses he's received so far, the $26M of his contract that's guaranteed, and the $58M total of his contract.

But ok, Chad Pennington is a higher-paid QB than Vince Young. And he's among the top 16 paid QB's in the NFL. And it's because he's more in-demand. And that's because he's a phenomenal QB that at least 16 teams wish they had instead of their current starter.

He's also higher-paid than Matt Leinart & Jay Cutler. Because their bonuses don't count for them apparently.

On Pennington's current contract, his average amt earned is just under $4M/yr. His maximum amount earned is just under $4M/yr. His guaranteed amount is (reportedly) $3.5M (which would mean Miami guaranteed $3M of his salary plus his $0.5M RB). There is no way that is the 16th highest contract in the NFL, and no way if all 32 starting QB's were released into FA on August 10th that a hell of a lot more than 16 of them would be able to get more than $3.5M guaranteed.

And lastly, you're comparing a new contract given in 2008 to contracts given in 2006, 2004, etc. Meanwhile teams like the Dolphins have an adjusted cap number of over $120M in 2008. 3 years ago it was like $80M.

And again, I must emphasize the timing. The last two weeks of the Favre saga people were speculating if it wasn't too late even for the likes of Brett Favre to get a contract, if there was enough time to learn the offense and get settled in. And look what Chad gets even a few days after that. Anybody who only enters the market a few weeks before Opening Day and within days emerges with both a starting NFL job and a $4 million annual salary has absolutely proved he is a valuable commodity. There is simply no possibility of talking your way around that.
I call bull***t. You find ONE place that wrote Brett Favre even MIGHT not be able to get a contract even if he was released August 31st. Favre would be able to get a contract if he was released in October.

Pennington does not get a $4M annual salary technically. He got a $500K roster bonus and $3.5M salary for 2008 and if he's not cut he gets $3.9M for 2009.

And that doesn't prove he is a valuable NFL commodity. That proves he is a valuable commodity to the Miami Dolphins (whose GM drafted Pennington, and who play the Jets twice this year). 31/32nds of the NFL didn't feel that way, but you go right ahead and draw a conclusion that because the Dolphins gave him $4M for 2008 that it is a natural extension to say the entire NFL would give him the same thing.

So it seems it was pretty easy to "talk my way around that" because it's such obvious horse***t. The Miami Dolphins, coming off a 1-15 season, are not representative of the desires and needs of all 32 NFL teams. Yet you are making a silly argument as though that was so.

Chad is a solid QB who has gotten a bad rap from the media and fans. Farve is a solid QB that the media has overhyped.

In some areas Chad is better accuracy, game management, and avoiding turnovers. In other areas Brett is better durability and arm strength. In total Farve is a slightly better QB. But Farve being better than Chad in some areas doesn't equal Chad sucking. Anymore than the fact that Farve is significantly less talented than Peyton or Brady means that Farve sucks. Farve is without question the most overrated player in the NFL and Chad is probably the most underrated QB in the NFL.

Favre is not inaccurate-he is just a risk taker. He is a better passer in every department. As far as Chad's "accuracy" is concerned, that is overblown: he throws the ball 10 yards and under 80% of the time. Game management? Don't make me laugh. Favre teams score way more TDs than Chad teams, and as the great Big Tuna says, the name of the game is geting the ball in the end zone. Managing a game is an excuse that inferior talents use to explain why their team scored only four field goals against a mediocre opponent.

Favre is not inaccurate-he is just a risk taker. He is a better passer in every department. As far as Chad's "accuracy" is concerned, that is overblown: he throws the ball 10 yards and under 80% of the time. Game management? Don't make me laugh. Favre teams score way more TDs than Chad teams, and as the great Big Tuna says, the name of the game is geting the ball in the end zone. Managing a game is an excuse that inferior talents use to explain why their team scored only four field goals against a mediocre opponent.

thank you.

Of course the media over hyped Favre. Why else would the entire sports world stop when Favre decided to play football again.

Plus Chad took the Jets to so many playoff games & so many SBs that it's not even funny. Oh wait....he would have if he wasn't always injured.

I for one would love to get rid of Favre & have Chad back!!!!!!!!

:bwahaharoll::bwahaharoll::bwahaharoll:

Also as far as 4th quarter comebacks are concerned........when was the last time Chad drove the team down field for a potential comeback win & DIDN'T get intercepted??

PUT THE CRACK PIPES DOWN PEOPLE!!!!!

False. That is just incorrect and if you looked it up you know it. You are using Pennington's $3.5M salary (and a $500K roster bonus) and comparing that to, say, Vince Young. Vince Young has a $1.5M salary and you're suggesting that because of that, Pennington is the higher paid QB. Meanwhile you ignore the $13M in bonuses he's received so far, the $26M of his contract that's guaranteed, and the $58M total of his contract......

......But ok, Chad Pennington is a higher-paid QB than Vince Young.

He's also higher-paid than Matt Leinart & Jay Cutler. Because their bonuses don't count for them apparently.

I did look it up. Rotoworld seems to list contracts only team by team and I simply did not have the time to go through the listings off all the players on 31 teams to arrive at the QB salary. So I went to the USA Today database and all they had was the 2007 salaries, which is why I took pains to point out that I was using 2007 as a basis for comparison. The purpose of the statistic was to give a ballpark figure as to where Pennington would stand, not to give a precise placement. Knowledgeable fans know the salaries go up a little each year, so his rank would likely be a little lower. With all the anit-Chad fans hysterically hollering that no way does Pennington start for any other team, a fan might think his salary was at the bottom of starting QB's and this is clearly far from the actual case.

Here is the listing from USA Today.

QBrank.jpg

Now here is the listing ranked according to "total salary". Remember this is for 2007 salaries, the latest year listed in USA Today's site.. When the difference in salary is listed as less than 10K, I consider the amount negligible and listed the QB's as tied in rank. So P. Manning and Favre are tied for third and the next on the list, Leinart, is fifth. I apparently miscounted slightly and Pennington's 2008 total salary of 4M ties him for 17th place.

1. Bulger 17.5M

2.Young 13.1M

3. P. Manning 11M

3. Favre 11M

5. Leinart 10.4 M

6. Cutler 8 M

7. Schaub 8 M

8. Delhomme 7.4M

9. Palmer 7.25M

10 E. Manning 6.4M

11 Brady 6M

11. Hasselbeck 6M

11. T. Green 6M

14. McNabb 5.5M

15 P. Rivers 5M

16. J. Garcia 5M

17.McNair 4M

17. K. Warner 4M

17 Pennington 4M

Note that Young's bonus is indeed counted and he is listed as second. Please note that, contrary to your assertions, Cutler and Leinart are also listed far higher than Chad.

If you have a problem with this list, fine, but I'm going with the only readily available list. By all means, give us your list if you have one handy.

So Miami couldn't wait to sign him, they wanted him SO badly, they offered up $4M for the year, and are still probably $10-20M under the cap. But $6M and suddenly he's not worth it? A starting QB, who other teams also want so badly, who you desperately need so badly you sign him immediately isn't worth $2M in the first year?

LOL!

I guess they don't want him that badly after all to guarantee getting him over all other teams.

It worked, didn't it? So why the sarcasm? I always thought sarcaasm was for when something didn't work. Oh well.

Total nonsense. There is no way in hell Parcells "wrapped up" Pennington without his agent speaking to every single NFL team that could have interest.

Miami was the only team in the league who offered him a real shot at starting in 2008, and that was the reason he went there.

Pennington was released on 4 PM Thursday. On Friday evening it was announced that Miami and Pennington had come to terms. Clearly, what we have here is Parcells getting on the horn to Chad's agent and saying: "Time is running out and I want him down here now. I'm offering the starter's job this year at $4M and it goes off the table in 24 hours."

After which the agent contacts other teams, or they contact him. If a team calls up and asks about Chad, the conversation goes like this:

TEAM: I'm interested in offering him something like starter's money and the chance to start if our current guy doesn't straighten his act out soon".

AGENT: I've already got an offer to start now at $4M".

TEAM: I can't gurantee the starter job, only the strong possiblility he gets it.

AGENT: We'll get back to you if this other thing falls through.

TEAM: Fine. Incidentally, unless you get back to me, this conversation never happened.

And regarding Minnesota, it was reported at the time that they didn't make any offer to Pennington. There were like 6 teams contacted by his agent; 3 teams that had interest (Miami, KC, and NE) and only Miami said he would 100% be the backup QB.

Which means some reporters asked the Minnesota GM, "Did you contact Pennington's agent"?

And the GM said back, "Agent? What agent? We have complete confidence in Tavaris Jackson and look forward to starting the season with him under center". Which only means that if he did contact Pennington's agent and didn't get him, he sure as hell isn't going to tell the press about it. Would you? If you don't get Pennington, you've just broadcast to your team and the fans that you are wavering in support of your team's leader a few weeks before Opening Day. Not good.

I have no idea if Minnesota contacted Pennington or not. I just don't believe their denials of it. Nor would I believe any denials of any other team that no starting offer was made, considering they have very sound reasons not to want that information to get out. We can be pretty sure Pennington wouldn't be in the Patriots' starting plans but how do we know how deep Herm's commitment really is to Brodie Croyle?

Let's face it. All this "it's only one team that wanted Chad" business is just a desperate face saving measure for all the anti-Chad people to try to divert attention from the fact that they were saying all along that NO team wanted Chad besides the Jets, and they've been proven dead wrong. I guess they figure that unless someone produces affadavits from other NFL front offices that a starting offer was made, they've actually won a moral victory. Forget it guys. You lost the argument.

Can we PLEASE stop all this Chad Pennington crap? He is a Miami Dolphin now. The only time we should be talking about him and his 6 year old arm is when the Jets are facing Miami. Lets deal with whats going on right now at the Cornerback and Wide Receiver positions for this team and about the important match-up with the Giants coming up in four days.

My, that sounds ominous.

You have access to some vaporizer ray or something?

lol

I can't dissect your post this morning, but suffice to say you are making a number of massive assumptions, many of which are not even reasonable ones:

- the salaries from one year to the next for an individual player are the same. You don't take into account increases from one year to another one one contract, and I don't mean an average 10% increase or whatever. I mean like when Pennington was making $1M or whatever in year 4 and then it jumped to $5M in year 5 of his rookie deal. You are assuming 2007 salaries to be the same as 2008. A lot of the highest-paid QB's just signed massive deals in the past 1-3 years. Those first 1-3 years the salary is intentionally dropped and the big money is instead given in a signing bonus. This is intentional by both parties; the team doesn't give up a giant $15-30M SB plus a $5-15M salary in year one, and for the player it provides security by back-loading the deal & getting SB money instead, so they become un-cuttable without the team taking an 8-figure dead cap hit. We went through that with Pennington after his first shoulder injury, and again after his 2nd one. We couldn't cut him because we would have had to absorb (depending on the season) a $15M or $12M dead cap hit. As it is right now we have to absorb a $6M dead cap hit ($3M in '08, $3M in '09).

But the gyst of it is you're making a massive assumption that none of the players above the 2007 $4M level and none of the players below the 2007 $4M level make as much as $4M, in addition to glossing over a rookie QB who just got a $12M/yr deal and another that got a $6M/yr deal.

- "Clearly, what we have here is Parcells getting on the horn to Chad's agent and saying:"

- "Which means some reporters asked the Minnesota GM, "Did you contact Pennington's agent"?"

Neither of these things are assumed to be or known to be correct. As I recall, it was Pennington's agent who listed the teams that had shown interest, not the Minnesota GM. You're saying these imaginary things & conversations as though they actually happened and using these imaginary statements as a basis for an argument.

NO free agent QB speaks to only one team & that's that. Miami offered up the best deal & best possible chance at starting. Partly because Parcells wanted him (for whatever that's worth these days) but mostly because they had no one else who they could envision starting the full season. If (when) Pennington gets injured or screws up or their season is (mathematically) in the crapper, then they can bench him for one of the two younger guys & release Pennington after the season with no cap penalty.

- Saying something worked out (for Miami) does not in any way mean there was this tremendous demand for Pennington, nor does it mean that Miami had their hearts set on Pennington. An opportunity presented itself for Parcells, and after seeing a little bit of the QB's he's got he felt that Pennington was the better option. But Parcells has made many bad QB moves in the past, even if he got lucky on a couple like Testaverde in '98 (which was more BB telling BP to bring him in) and Tony Romo. But he missed on a whole lot of others (Glenn Foley, Bledsoe with Dallas, Testaverde with Dallas, Drew Henson, Chad Hutchinson, etc.). He has a track history of having an unhealthy affinity for his former players & they don't work out quite a bit (Keyshawn, Aaron Glenn, Jason Ferguson) while players he absolutely didn't want (Owens, drafting Terry Glenn, and others) but got overruled by the GM/owner, gave him instant success he never would have gone after.

So to sum up, there is no way Chad Pennington is the 16th-highest paid QB. And by inference of that salary (which I think is the reason you brought it up in the first place) that he is the 16th-most "in-demand" QB in the NFL.

If Chad was good, wouldn't a team like the Vikings have gone after him? Someone who could be a 'good QB' away from the Super Bowl?

Chad Pennington is better than anyone the Dolphins have at the moment, he was better than Brooks Bollinger and Vinny Testeverde also, 2005 was a hell of a year. He's in these two situations, he's the equivalent of the Special Olympic Gold Medalist.

He's holding the fort for anywhere between 8 games and 2 seasons depending on progression for Chad Henne, that's all...

In what world is Chad 'improving' as a QB?

The statistics would severely disagree with that statement, in fact, every single year, Chad has gotten statistically worse, it's a noticeable trend.

Favre had two bad seasons, and then last year, a season that Chad could only dream of... 38 yr old Favre >>>>> 31 yr old Chad, landslide.

If Chad was good, wouldn't a team like the Vikings have gone after him? Someone who could be a 'good QB' away from the Super Bowl?

Chad Pennington is better than anyone the Dolphins have at the moment, he was better than Brooks Bollinger and Vinny Testeverde also, 2005 was a hell of a year. He's in these two situations, he's the equivalent of the Special Olympic Gold Medalist.

He's holding the fort for anywhere between 8 games and 2 seasons depending on progression for Chad Henne, that's all...

I pray you are right. Chad Henne is a poor man's Chad Pennington. He's not going to make anybody in Miami forget Dan Marino.

No we don't know this. It is quite conceivable that more that Pennington's first choice was Miami over the Vikings.

Favre who felt mistreated by Packer management wanted to stay in the division so he could play the Pack twice a year obstentiably to prove the management wrong.

Chad's first choice very well could have been to be a starting QB in the AFC East. The Pats certainly were not going to start him nor pay him as a starter. (Although I personally would love to have him backing up Brady, he is head and shoulders above the Pat's backup QBs) That leaves the Bills and Fins.

The season opener won't be the superbowl. But if Chad can lead the Dolphins to a victory while embarrassing the Jets defense and Eric Mangini it may very well feel like winning the SB to him.

No matter your opinion of Chad 's abilities, he no doubt feels he is much better than Jets management and fans give him credit for. And Miami is the perfect place for him to try to prove it.

If Chad is truly the 'winner' and 'warrior' and 'competitor' that so many claim him to be, than being vindictive would come in second to playing for a team that gave him a legitimate shot at a Super Bowl title.

Instead, he ends up playing for a team that won 1 game last year... Maybe he felt comfortable, because him and the Fins had that in common.

I pray you are right. Chad Henne is a poor man's Chad Pennington. He's not going to make anybody in Miami forget Dan Marino.

Your second sentence is correct, the first is not.

Chad Henne has a huge arm and limited accuracy, he's the 'anti-chad'.

Your second sentence is correct, the first is not.

Chad Henne has a huge arm and limited accuracy, he's the 'anti-chad'.

.double post.

I was going to say... stop yelling at me! I haven't followed too much college ball the past couple of years, but Henne's arm didn't look so hot to me. I only remember watching the Ohio St. game. Even if you are 100% correct, please rephrase the "anti-Chad" comment. I don't want to read thousands of posts clamoring to trade for him.

I'm not even concerned with your mental health in still loving chad...i'm more concerend that you think parcells is one of the greatest football minds of this generation. lol!!!!

only time he ever made a superbowl was when BB was coordinating. What has he done since 96? oh yeah...nothing but lose any big game he stumbled across...lol...parcells is probably worse at being a GM than chad is at being a QB.

I was going to say... stop yelling at me! I haven't followed too much college ball the past couple of years, but Henne's arm didn't look so hot to me. I only remember watching the Ohio St. game. Even if you are 100% correct, please rephrase the "anti-Chad" comment. I don't want to read thousands of posts clamoring to trade for him.

Funny...

The UM/OSU game was not a fair indication of Henne as a QB... from a style perspective... also, he was hurt.

lol

I can't dissect your post this morning, but suffice to say you are making a number of massive assumptions, many of which are not even reasonable ones:

- the salaries from one year to the next for an individual player are the same. You don't take into account increases from one year to another one one contract, and I don't mean an average 10% increase or whatever. I mean like when Pennington was making $1M or whatever in year 4 and then it jumped to $5M in year 5 of his rookie deal. You are assuming 2007 salaries to be the same as 2008. A lot of the highest-paid QB's just signed massive deals in the past 1-3 years. Those first 1-3 years the salary is intentionally dropped and the big money is instead given in a signing bonus. This is intentional by both parties; the team doesn't give up a giant $15-30M SB plus a $5-15M salary in year one, and for the player it provides security by back-loading the deal & getting SB money instead, so they become un-cuttable without the team taking an 8-figure dead cap hit. We went through that with Pennington after his first shoulder injury, and again after his 2nd one. We couldn't cut him because we would have had to absorb (depending on the season) a $15M or $12M dead cap hit. As it is right now we have to absorb a $6M dead cap hit ($3M in '08, $3M in '09).

But the gyst of it is you're making a massive assumption that none of the players above the 2007 $4M level and none of the players below the 2007 $4M level make as much as $4M, in addition to glossing over a rookie QB who just got a $12M/yr deal and another that got a $6M/yr deal.

- "Clearly, what we have here is Parcells getting on the horn to Chad's agent and saying:"

- "Which means some reporters asked the Minnesota GM, "Did you contact Pennington's agent"?"

Neither of these things are assumed to be or known to be correct. As I recall, it was Pennington's agent who listed the teams that had shown interest, not the Minnesota GM. You're saying these imaginary things & conversations as though they actually happened and using these imaginary statements as a basis for an argument.

NO free agent QB speaks to only one team & that's that. Miami offered up the best deal & best possible chance at starting. Partly because Parcells wanted him (for whatever that's worth these days) but mostly because they had no one else who they could envision starting the full season. If (when) Pennington gets injured or screws up or their season is (mathematically) in the crapper, then they can bench him for one of the two younger guys & release Pennington after the season with no cap penalty.

- Saying something worked out (for Miami) does not in any way mean there was this tremendous demand for Pennington, nor does it mean that Miami had their hearts set on Pennington. An opportunity presented itself for Parcells, and after seeing a little bit of the QB's he's got he felt that Pennington was the better option. But Parcells has made many bad QB moves in the past, even if he got lucky on a couple like Testaverde in '98 (which was more BB telling BP to bring him in) and Tony Romo. But he missed on a whole lot of others (Glenn Foley, Bledsoe with Dallas, Testaverde with Dallas, Drew Henson, Chad Hutchinson, etc.). He has a track history of having an unhealthy affinity for his former players & they don't work out quite a bit (Keyshawn, Aaron Glenn, Jason Ferguson) while players he absolutely didn't want (Owens, drafting Terry Glenn, and others) but got overruled by the GM/owner, gave him instant success he never would have gone after.

So to sum up, there is no way Chad Pennington is the 16th-highest paid QB. And by inference of that salary (which I think is the reason you brought it up in the first place) that he is the 16th-most "in-demand" QB in the NFL.

It's a good thing you didn't have any time this morning. :lol:

The greatest football mind of our era signed Bledsoe and Testeverde in Dallas, genius.

It's amazing to me that people still talk about chad..hes gone and yes it is bittersweet czu chadreally did give evryhting he had to the jets and us as fans....fact is we went as far as we ever could with chad and i think everyobody knows that Favres here, let it go, chad will always be remembered a jet for bad or for worse

Archived