NFL again thinking about lengthening the NFL season

faba

Last updated August 17, 2008 9:31 p.m. PT

NFL owners looking at extending season

Poor quality of games in preseason, player salaries might force changes

By MIKE REISS

THE BOSTON GLOBE

The NFL adopted the 16-game regular season in 1978, but a combination of factors is likely to lead to a change -- and it could be coming quicker than many are anticipating.

"The bottom line," New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft said, "is that I think you'll see us going to 17 or 18 regular-season games in the future."

The drumbeat on the issue has been growing louder.

In May, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell first floated the idea of extending the regular season.

Earlier this month, he mentioned it again to reporters in Cincinnati, this time laying out a reason for his thinking: He believes preseason football is a poor reflection on the NFL product.

That's probably music to the ears of fans who don't enjoy seeing second- and third-string players toil in the preseason, while paying regular-season ticket and parking prices to do so.

Yet it's not just the poor quality of the preseason that has Goodell and NFL owners discussing expansion of the regular season.

The uncertain labor forecast with players is also driving the discussion.

In short, owners feel that too much of their profits go to players. The players don't agree.

Expanding the regular season, which would be the fastest way for owners to generate more revenue, is one possibility to help the sides resolve the tug-of-war.

"We have to grow the pie; the biggest way of quickly growing the pie is in the media area," Kraft said. "The feeling is that we would get greater revenue for media if we had more regular-season games.

"Now, you'd have to balance that with the need that coaches have to develop and get a team ready to play. Could it be two preseason games, or three? I personally wouldn't be adverse to either one."

A 17-game regular season would create some scheduling issues. Which teams would get the extra home games? Or would neutral sites be chosen so there was no advantage?

Even an 18-game regular season, which would eliminate those issues, comes with some questions. Are two preseason games enough to prepare a team for such a long season? Would it lead to more injuries?

While Goodell and owners explore such expansion, not to be overshadowed is the players' role in such a discussion.

Linebacker Mike Vrabel, the Patriots' player representative, believes that any agreement to lengthen the season must include added benefits for players.

"It's always negotiable, but certainly they'd have to pay us more for 18 regular-season games," Vrabel said.

Vrabel's thoughts are tied to the fact that players don't receive their full salaries until the regular season starts.

Veteran players make $1,225 per week during the preseason, plus $200 per preseason game.

Rookies make $800 per week, with no additional pay for games.

As Vrabel pointed out, that's a nice arrangement for owners, because "they can pay us less for the preseason and they're making the same as the regular season."

So from Vrabel's perspective, if owners elect to expand the regular season, the players' salaries must expand with it.

It's hard to argue with that logic, although it could be a point of contention with owners.

In his visit to Cincinnati two weeks ago, Goodell made a few other points that indicated how strongly owners are considering expanding the season.

The commissioner said owners aren't concerned with the season running deeper into February, because they "find a longer season to be attractive" and that "we've made accommodations with our Super Bowl dates that we can move them later in the year."

Furthermore, Goodell said that the two-week window between conference championship games and the Super Bowl is preferred. He also noted that if the preseason were indeed shortened, a two-week window between the final preseason game and the first regular-season game could be adopted.

I always laugh when the player's union talks about injuries relating to more games or less time for the preseason. Meanwhile they allow their membership to compete weekly on synthetic surfaces that are really the culprit in a significant number of injuries and skin infections, plus being carcinogenic to boot. Would you want to lay your body out on ground up car tires? It's time for the union to demand that all stadiums (stadia for the purists) have natural grass fields, especially since the technology now exists to grow grass indoors. As for shortening the preseason: I like it.

I dont care what they do. They arent doing any of this for the fans, they are doing it for money.

Well... yes and no. They do want to improve the product on the field for the fans - but they want to do it with the idea in mind that it'll bring in more money. With all the mini-camps nowadays, it seems like the four preseason games are overkill, anyway.

A 17-game regular season would create some scheduling issues. Which teams would get the extra home games? Or would neutral sites be chosen so there was no advantage?

This kind of talk has been going on for a while. The 18 game season makes more sense on the surface, but the idea of the 17 game season would be that the odd game was played at a neutral site - likely an international venue. I'm sure that's the route the commisioner wants to take. He's always talking up the idea of expanding the league globally.

The commissioner said owners aren't concerned with the season running deeper into February, because they "find a longer season to be attractive" and that "we've made accommodations with our Super Bowl dates that we can move them later in the year." Furthermore, Goodell said that the two-week window between conference championship games and the Super Bowl is preferred. He also noted that if the preseason were indeed shortened, a two-week window between the final preseason game and the first regular-season game could be adopted.

I'm gonna be even happier that I'm divorced when the Super Bowl lands on Valentines Day. :-P

A lot of fans'll probably be wishing they sprung for the roof on the new Giants Stadium should the local team be playing there in early February. I wonder if they'd push off the start of free agency and the draft as well?

Well... yes and no. They do want to improve the product on the field for the fans - but they want to do it with the idea in mind that it'll bring in more money. With all the mini-camps nowadays, it seems like the four preseason games are overkill, anyway.

If they cared about the fans, preseason would be free.

I would much rather see an extended/expanded Playoff schedule. This would allow teams who are coming on strong toward the end of the season to be considered as wildcards. Or even a Playoff schedule that allows all 32 teams a shot.

Just a thought.

It would also make the regular season essentially meaningless. As it is, people have complained there are too many playoff spots, adding even more would make it an even bigger joke, and allow even lower quality teams in. You don't want to water down the playoffs. So increasing regular season allows the better teams to get in and win more games. The more games you have, the more you know whoever made it deserves it.

It would also make the regular season essentially meaningless. As it is, people have complained there are too many playoff spots, adding even more would make it an even bigger joke, and allow even lower quality teams in. You don't want to water down the playoffs. So increasing regular season allows the better teams to get in and win more games. The more games you have, the more you know whoever made it deserves it.
Exactly bad enough a 7-9 team can make it in todays NFC, last thing we need is for 3 of them to be there.

Nice way to spin that... Are you Woody Johnson?:)

When they finally implement an expanded schedule after the new stadium opens I wont be buying tickets anymore so i wont care.:)

No spin. If you have to pay full price for preseason games, isn't it better if there's fewer of them? You have to be a football junkie to appreciate the preseason and all the scrubs have to offer. And even then, it's not worth full price.

Archived