Falcons release WR Joe Horn.

PantyHose&Furs

The Receivers do concern me. You are okay on paper with Coles, Cotch, Smith, Stuckey, Wright, Clowney\Henry.

BUT you are assuming that either Smith or Stuckey will step up and become the 3rd guy. That is a big assumption but one I can possibly live with.

The bigger issue though is what happens if (when) Coles or Cotchery misses a game due to injury. Let's say Cotch is out:

Coles - Smith - Stuckey ??

Yes, Dustin Keller will change things slightly and might be more of a target than a typical TE. Still not 100% comfortable with that group. A veteran that could contribute would be helpful.

On the downside? Do we really need someone else in here that doesn't know the offense? And he had a 5 year stretch where he was incredible. But that stretch ended in 2004. Can he still play at a high level?

The Receivers do concern me. You are okay on paper with Coles, Cotch, Smith, Stuckey, Wright, Clowney\Henry.

BUT you are assuming that either Smith or Stuckey will step up and become the 3rd guy. That is a big assumption but one I can possibly live with.

The bigger issue though is what happens if (when) Coles or Cotchery misses a game due to injury. Let's say Cotch is out:

Coles - Smith - Stuckey ??

Yes, Dustin Keller will change things slightly and might be more of a target than a typical TE. Still not 100% comfortable with that group. A veteran that could contribute would be helpful.

On the downside? Do we really need someone else in here that doesn't know the offense? And he had a 5 year stretch where he was incredible. But that stretch ended in 2004. Can he still play at a high level?

great post newbie. you should copy & paste it into the joe horn thread ;)

wow, yet another thread for the resident 12 year olds to say "sign him". :yawn:

Ever think that there may be a reason teams cut players? Or just because the player had a once well-known name that same player may have actually gotten older and less productive over the years, instead of the opposite?

Drago -

Horn's actually done something in this league. The back end of our WR corps has done very little when it matters.

I'm a fan of Stuckey's. But he's a camp wonder. Never done anything when it matters.

I'd rather have Horn and Stuckey share the load.

Coles, Cotch, Horn and Stuckey/Smith works for me.

Coles, Cotch, Smith and Stuckey is very light by NFL standards.

Horn's an upgrade. Get him at the right price and he makes lots of sense.

Drago -

Horn's actually done something in this league. The back end of our WR corps has done very little when it matters.

I'm a fan of Stuckey's. But he's a camp wonder. Never done anything when it matters.

There is no doubt that Horn has been a productive receiver in his career. If i remember right, he had a few pro bowl seasons as well. Problem is, the Saints and their high powered offense thought they could live without him and were right. Now the Falcons are in the same boat.

It's a young man's game. No reason to keep reshuffling the tired old names, let the young blood in there.

To answer anyone's question, I for one would feel way more confident with,

Coles, Cotchery, Keller, Stuckey, Smith (even taking any one of them to injury)

than

coles, cotchery, horn, keller, stuckey/smith

Horn is not the same guy as the 2000, 2001 season. He's just old.

Drago -

Horn has done something in the league. What exactly does that get us? What do Joe Horn, Keyshawn Johnson, Terry Glenn, Mike Williams and Eric Parker have in common? I'm pretty sure they had less catches combined in '07 than Brad Smith.

I would not cut Henry for any of those guys. Football is a young man's game and what somebody did in the past is meaningless. Stuckey never did anything "when it matters"? Isn't that what all the mutts were saying about Cothery a couple of years ago?

Horn has done something in the league. What exactly does that get us? What do Joe Horn, Keyshawn Johnson, Terry Glenn, Mike Williams and Eric Parker have in common? I'm pretty sure they had less catches combined in '07 than Brad Smith.

I would not cut Henry for any of those guys. Football is a young man's game and what somebody did in the past is meaningless. Stuckey never did anything "when it matters"? Isn't that what all the mutts were saying about Cothery a couple of years ago?

Got that right.

wow, yet another thread for the resident 12 year olds to say "sign him". :yawn:

Ever think that there may be a reason teams cut players? Or just because the player had a once well-known name that same player may have actually gotten older and less productive over the years, instead of the opposite?

he told atlanta to release him. they didnt release based on performance, they released him because he was unhappy with the team.

he told atlanta to release him. they didnt release based on performance, they released him because he was unhappy with the team.

He was unhappy with the team because he was on the bottom of the depth chart and has been hurt, lazy and sucked all preseason and camp. I'm sure the 20 catches and 200 yards he had last year were the kind of performance than makes teams keep aging washed up players around. They'll never be able to replace that production!

Check out these notable tidbits:

Horn skipped all voluntary workouts, conditioning and other team functions in the offseason. Shortly after reporting to training camp July 25, Horn was behind because he said he did not study his playbook. He then suffered a hamstring injury that he said was minor, but it was problematic enough for him to not play in either of the Falcons

He was unhappy with the team because he was on the bottom of the depth chart and has been hurt, lazy and sucked all preseason and camp. I'm sure the 20 catches and 200 yards he had last year were the kind of performance than makes teams keep aging washed up players around. They'll never be able to replace that production!

Check out these notable tidbits:

SIGN HIM!! SIGN HIM!!

There are some superstar names to be stuck behind! No wonder he couldn't crack the rotation.

http://www.ajc.com/services/content/sports/falcons/stories/2008/08/19/falcons_release_receiver_horn.html?cxtype=rss&cxsvc=7&cxcat=21

Horn got a guaranteed $2.5M this season that Atlanta had to eat for cutting him. They wouldn't cut him and pay him just because he was "unhappy with the team". They did it because he wasn't going to help.

so you sayin he was doin yardwork 10 days ago ;)

Archived