Thoughts on Kerry Rhodes

bear

All the other big name safties such as T.Polomalu,Ed Reed,B.Sanders,And R.Harrison are always know for big hits,big Ints,and all are notable run stuffers. Why do people praise K Rhodes so much?What are his major attribute ?He's good but nowhere near the talent of the above players. Discuss...

maybe if he was not lining up twenty yards behind the line of scrimmage to only drop back 15 more yards he could make a play

Absolutely. They do not use Rhoades properly.

Even so, there is no shame in not being in the same class as Polamalo, Reed and Sanders (Harrison is done). They are not just the best safeties in the NFL, they are among the top five safeties of all time.

It's part of the whole Jets thing.

Remember how John Abraham was this "great" player that we couldn't afford to lose? The guy hasn't done jack sh*t with the Falcons.

Us Jets fans tend to make our players larger than life. It's part of the pathology of rooting for a team that doesn't provide much for us to hang our hats on.

We're hungry, Bear. We're just hungry.

I don't know that Kerry Rhodes has any particular strengths. I think what's great about him is that he's just a very good all-around safety. He's got the ability to do well at anything a safety does, just not great.

What in the world is going on with him lately though?

He stunk last year, and he's not all that, this year.

I thought the secondary was going to be a strength for years to come. I guess I thought wrong (again).

Remember how John Abraham was this "great" player that we couldn't afford to lose? The guy hasn't done jack sh*t with the Falcons.

Us Jets fans tend to make our players larger than life. It's part of the pathology of rooting for a team that doesn't provide much for us to hang our hats on.

Actually J Abe is being used right for the first time this year and is having a huge impact.. just saying LOL

He was never as good as some Jets fans thought and never built upon 06. First impressions die hard..

Whenever a young player makes a positive impact, fans tend too quickly label him as "great" with the thinking that there will be continued improvement. A lot of time the improvement never occurs and many times regression actually happens. The truth is that Rhodes was never in the same caliber as Polomalu and Reed but he was young and flashed potential in 06, potential that up till now has been unrealized.

It's already happened with Keller btw, someone the other day said declared he was HOF bound. Lol...

Absolutely. They do not use Rhoades properly.

Even so, there is no shame in not being in the same class as Polamalo, Reed and Sanders (Harrison is done). They are not just the best safeties in the NFL, they are among the top five safeties of all time.

He just isn't a big hitter. He is a hand tackler and a great athlete. But his anticipation is average. He does a good job of promoting himself. I would rather have a Bob Sanders type back there. A guy who has some coverage skills but who makes receivers wary of going over the middle. Guys like that are good for a drop or two a game.

Krry Rhodes is too busy hanging out with music video whores and models to remember how to tackle.

This has been my fear with Rhodes all along. He has actually made some money acting. Not big money, but I'm sure he'd like to.

lets face it, I'd rather hang around with "music video whores" Then 265 pound ill mannered TE's who want to break my bones. I don't know, maybe it's just me?

I was fine with letting Abe go if the plan was to move to the 3-4. Particularly since we got a franchise center at 1/5 of Abraham's cap number.

But I wish one of our pass-rushers' version of "jack sh*t" was 15.5 sacks & a few forced fumbles in 14 games.

I think he's a very good safety having a very good safety. There's a reason this team is so good at defending the deep ball and so **** at defending the underneath stuff where for some reason Rhodes NEVER is. He's in deep coverage and has been on like 90% of the plays this season. I think he should be used up and around the LOS much more than he currently is. He's one of the very best safeties in the league at blitzing so why not ****ing utilize it?

I was fine with letting Abe go if the plan was to move to the 3-4. Particularly since we got a franchise center at 1/5 of Abraham's cap number.

But I wish one of our pass-rushers' version of "jack sh*t" was 15.5 sacks & a few forced fumbles in 14 games.

what pass rushers?? That is problem NUMBER ONE on this team. ANY secondary, even one with the great ed reed or troy palamalu will get ripped apart when nobody gets within a 2 yards of the QB.

what pass rushers?? That is problem NUMBER ONE on this team. ANY secondary, even one with the great ed reed or troy palamalu will get ripped apart when nobody gets within a 2 yards of the QB.

That's actually a good point. I wonder how many plays Polamalu and Ed Reed would make if they didn't have the likes of Terrell Suggs, LaMar Woodley, James Harrison, Ray Lewis, Bart Scott, Trevor Pryce, Haloti Ngata (I could go on!) etc. in front of them.

Those players not only rush the QB, forcing mistakes but also free up their responsibilities. They're both in a MUCH better situation than Kerry is!

That's actually a good point. I wonder how many plays Polamalu and Ed Reed would make if they didn't have the likes of Terrell Suggs, LaMar Woodley, James Harrison, Ray Lewis, Bart Scott, Trevor Pryce, Haloti Ngata (I could go on!) etc. in front of them.

Those players not only rush the QB, forcing mistakes but also free up their responsibilities. They're both in a MUCH better situation than Kerry is!

Lol. Come on. You honestly can't see the huge difference in talent??

Lol. Come on. You honestly can't see the huge difference in talent??

There is a difference in talent but I don't think it's as big as people make out. Kerry has made some great plays over the years too, just not as frequently this season because IMO he's not being utlized in the right way. Kerry is pretty darn talented himself.

rhodes is of the scales athletically, but has never been a big hitter. ask yourself this question;

do the jets EVER get beat deep ?

no, because rhodes is always playing deep center field

tough to do much from there

umm? The New York jets? i remember a TD against SD that Chambers was alone with a radius of 10 yards...you know the one where the announcers blamed harris and harris only. there was a TD waved off against the broncos that was right down the middle in a cover three...30 or 40 yards...

I think the reason we don't give up a lot of deep plays is more because we drop everyone back so far the offense is more than willing to rape the **** out of us underneath.

Please god. Please fire bob sutton. Hire a big stinking cow turd...i don't care...just fire him.

Maybe I should have called them our (quote-unquote) "pass rushers"?

Well Ellis has 8, which is a ton for a 3-4 end. Pace's 7 isn't a hideous number, figuring he'll get 1 or 2 more over the last 2 games. But Thomas' 4.5 is disgusting. Even more appalling than the gross total is that he hasn't had once for 9 straight games (and counting).

Gholston better make huge strides between now & next season. Because Thomas isn't worth the $5.0M he's scheduled to hit the cap with next year. That # drops to $3.2M if we cut him right after the season, or $1.85M after June 1st. I think both outweigh the full amount of having him around. He doesn't get to the QB, and he balances that out with a total inability to cover anyone on top of that. We'd be no worse off swapping Gholston & Bowens in & out of there.

I will say this as far as the gross number for all of them: it's not like they're all being sent to bull-rush the QB every pass play & are still coming up empty-handed.

Maybe I should have called them our (quote-unquote) "pass rushers"?

Well Ellis has 8, which is a ton for a 3-4 end. Pace's 7 isn't a hideous number, figuring he'll get 1 or 2 more over the last 2 games. But Thomas' 4.5 is disgusting. Even more appalling than the gross total is that he hasn't had once for 9 straight games (and counting).

Gholston better make huge strides between now & next season. Because Thomas isn't worth the $5.0M he's scheduled to hit the cap with next year. That # drops to $3.2M if we cut him right after the season, or $1.85M after June 1st. I think both outweigh the full amount of having him around. He doesn't get to the QB, and he balances that out with a total inability to cover anyone on top of that. We'd be no worse off swapping Gholston & Bowens in & out of there.

I will say this as far as the gross number for all of them: it's not like they're all being sent to bull-rush the QB every pass play & are still coming up empty-handed.

Bryan Thomas should be moved to ILB. Bowens is w/o question a better pass rusher.

Kerry Rhodes is a good athlete who is solid in most areas, but doesn't excel in any specific area. He's more of a finesse player than a hungry ball hawk with a nose for the ball.

He had a promising 2006 season, but disappeared for the first half of 2007 before turning it back on to finish the season strong. He has been a major disappointment in 2008. Whether that is due to our schemes or not, the guy needs to make some plays out there and he has failed miserably. I have seen way too much bitching and moaning coming from Rhodes this season, and very little action to make a play himself.

To compare Rhodes to Polamalu and Reed at this point is laughable. These guys are play makers who raise the level of play of their entire defensive units. Rhodes has been a liability this year and has been one of the problems with our weak secondary.

They were still great without most of those players, Lewis has been around for a long time.

And the Steelers never seem to retain talent, and I don't think they are that great anyway. I just think they have creative blitz packages and also blitz a lot, not that the pass rushers are particularly great.

Hell, didn't Lewis have his MVP years before Ngata even got there? I'm pretty sure Ngata was drafted only a couple of years ago, and Ray hasn't been nearly as dominant as he was a decade ago.

Its so funny how quickly people forget the years past.

Troy P. has had back to back mediocre years. He is going ballistic this season and now everyone is on his jock again.

Same can be said about Ed Reed.

Bob Sanders cant stay on the field.

Rhodes is not being used properly, plain and simple. I watched every minute of the Steelers and Ravens game....and have watched a bunch of Steelers game because they are are on Nat'l T.V. all the time....next time you see those teams play, watch how they use Reed, and Troy P. We dont use Rhodes anything like that at all.

And FTR, his stats arent that bad. He already has more tackles this season than he did last year. He only has 1 less sack. He hasnt had a good season for INT's...down 3 from last year.

We just havent had a big play from him, so everyone thinks he sucks now. I will admit he seems to be playing a bit soft this year, but people are acting like the guy sucks and its just not the case. I think its more scheme than anything else. Its obvious that the CS doesnt trust the other safeties in coverage so they use Kerry as the big play stopper and use the other guys in the box and on the intermediate routes.

Its so funny how quickly people forget the years past.

Troy P. has had back to back mediocre years. He is going ballistic this season and now everyone is on his jock again.

Same can be said about Ed Reed.

Bob Sanders cant stay on the field.

Rhodes is not being used properly, plain and simple. I watched every minute of the Steelers and Ravens game....and have watched a bunch of Steelers game because they are are on Nat'l T.V. all the time....next time you see those teams play, watch how they use Reed, and Troy P. We dont use Rhodes anything like that at all.

And FTR, his stats arent that bad. He already has more tackles this season than he did last year. He only has 1 less sack. He hasnt had a good season for INT's...down 3 from last year.

We just havent had a big play from him, so everyone thinks he sucks now. I will admit he seems to be playing a bit soft this year, but people are acting like the guy sucks and its just not the case. I think its more scheme than anything else. Its obvious that the CS doesnt trust the other safeties in coverage so they use Kerry as the big play stopper and use the other guys in the box and on the intermediate routes.

I agree. But mediocre years for Troy and Ed Reed are way above anyone else. Sanders does get injured a lot.

I don't know about that, man. Abe apparently has been a FORCE in ATL, and is 3rd in the league in sacks...

Maybe I just missed some sarcasm?

Archived