Julius Peppers for OLB

Barton

I don't think that'd even be possible considering we already have 2 OLBs making big money in Pace and Gholston and Thomas contract isn't cheap either. Also, I'm not a big fan of having him try to convert to a completely new position, late in his career, that he's never played before and giving him a huge contract on top of that. I'm two lazy to look up his exact age but my guess is that by the time he got used to the position he'd be somewhere in his 30s and starting to decline.

Its a moot point anyway cause its not happening.

Too much money invested in the OLB position right now unfortunately. It sucks too because I think he would actually have no problem with the transition. He really is an unbelievable athlete and has already proven in Carolina that he's versatile enough to play in coverage.

Right now, it's a pipe dream. Nothing more.

Pep will only agree to go to a 3-4 team AND play DE..he wants no part of OLB

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=Nfl&id=2361

The agent for Julius Peppers says his client wants to play as a stand-up 3-4 outside linebacker for his next team.

The Gaston Gazette expects Carolina to put the franchise tag on Peppers, then try to trade him. They won't worry about what position he wants to play. At 6'7/283, Peppers would easily be the biggest linebacker in the league.

3-4DE makes no sense for him, he's not the ideal weight for it and the responsibilities he would carry would waste his talents.

That being said, I think this notion sounds strange to me. Either he is posturing for a better contract or wants to be traded and would like to keep as many teams in on it as possible by displaying willingness to go to a 3-4 team.

What Ellis and Coleman are so good at DE that Peppers will be on the bench? ;)

It would not be unheard of. I cannot remember the guys name but the Steelers had a huge OLB (i.e. 280 range).

Levon Kirkland was pretty huge. Thought he played inside, though.

he really takes many pays off and in some cases games..

Maybe he's gotten sick of playing in the trenches. Maybe he feels getting out in space will be more fun, or will take some of the stress off his body and lengthen his career. Maybe he just wants to learn something new.

Let's cut Favre and see if we can't bring him in, see what he can do in the 3-4.

Let's cut Favre anyway.

Maybe he's gotten sick of playing in the trenches. Maybe he feels getting out in space will be more fun, or will take some of the stress off his body and lengthen his career. Maybe he just wants to learn something new.

Let's cut Favre and see if we can't bring him in, see what he can do in the 3-4.

Let's cut Favre anyway.

I wont argue.

here is the problem with Pep..

he really takes many plays off and in some cases games..

he TRULY doesnt want to play in NFL,,he wants to play in NBA and is kind of a sad soul

Same was said about Kris Jenkins in Carolina

yup...

the knock on jenkins was inconsistency..

sort of like jenkins last quarter of this season

You don't think it had anything to do with lack of depth and him learning a new position? Or even the scheme? He was in coverage LOL.

You don't think it had anything to do with lack of depth and him learning a new position? Or even the scheme? He was in coverage LOL.

uh, all that was there in beginning of season when he was doing good,,of course they started doubling him but thats nothing new to him,,

its his same MO,,ignore if u wish but u didnt see him every game like i did down here,,its Kris MO,,dow joneser..its his way,,nuthin u can do about it

oh ya LOL

Let's cut Favre anyway.

Unfortunately, cutting Favre only takes us 3 million under the cap. It's gonna take cutting Favre and 3 or 4 other guys to make room.

Unfortunately, cutting Favre only takes us 3 million under the cap. It's gonna take cutting Favre and 3 or 4 other guys to make room.

Correction:

1) Cutting Favre takes us a little lower than $3M under the cap.

2) It's "cutting Favre and 3 or 4 other guys" who we can certainly get by without like Barrett, Thomas, Baker, maybe Bowens, among other lesser $ players. Those 4 alone clear over $10M more.

Correction:

1) Cutting Favre takes us a little lower than $3M under the cap.

2) It's "cutting Favre and 3 or 4 other guys" who we can certainly get by without like Barrett, Thomas, Baker, maybe Bowens, among other lesser $ players. Those 4 alone clear over $10M more.

http://www.jetnation.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1141526#post1141526

Yeah, I'm aware. And yeah, you're right it isn't 3 million exactly, it's off by a few hundred thousand less than that.

Perhaps, but it's a critical first step.

I'm not against it at all. I think the ideal scenario is he retires and we don't get the bad Publicity.

Right now we're over cap by approximately 10.3 million give or take a few thousand. His cap number is 13 million, cutting him saves that entire amount as he wouldn't count as dead money.

http://www.jetnation.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1141526#post1141526

Yeah, I'm aware. And yeah, you're right it isn't 3 million exactly, it's off by a few hundred thousand less than that.

You don't know that & neither do I, and nor does that site's creator. There are millions in escalators for Eric Smith and Brad Smith and Bryan Thomas that are not on his page (as he's aware). No one knows for sure what kicks those in for each. Maybe zero. Maybe all of it. Also I hadn't seen it announced that 2009's salary cap limit was written in stone yet. It might be; I just hadn't seen it. And lastly, it doesn't take into account any 2009 money that was shifted to 2008, which we do every year. The last reason is why we probably have more than $3M in space if only Favre was cut.

Not everything is as simple as reading off his (outstanding) website.

here guys I went on jetscap.com and heres the cap savings of the following guys who could get cut

Favre(retire)- 13 million saved. 3 million until cap limit

Barret- 3,710,000 saved. 6,710,000 until cap limit

Bowens- 2,600,000 saved. 9,310,000 until cap limit.

Thomas- 550,000 saved. 9,860,000 until cap limit.

so after just 4 guys expected to be gone we would have 9,860,000 until the cap limit. with that money you can get 2 or 3 FA at 3-4 million a year that is a contract for a guy like lehonard, and bart scott.

and remember thats only 4 players cut, im sure Tanny can restructure contracts, and cut some other guys.

Id say were in good shape, maybe by cutting another 4 players we can go after peppers(but Bart Scott will do)

Archived