Jets hire former Buddy Ryan favorite

Untouchable

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-25-doug-plank-jetsjan25,0,5576642.story

Ex-Bear Doug Plank to coach NY Jets defensive backs

By Dan Pompei | Tribune reporter

6:55 PM CST, January 24, 2009

The legacy of the 46 defense lives — in New York.

Buddy Ryan thought so much of Doug Plank that he named his defense for the number Plank wore — 46.

So it shouldn't be a surprise that Ryan's son Rex thought so much of Plank that he made him one of his first hires after he became head coach of the Jets.

Plank has been hired as assistant defensive backs coach, and the former Bears safety will work with the safeties, NFL sources told the Tribune on Saturday. Plank had been working as a roving assistant coach for the Falcons but was interested in becoming a position coach.

Most of Plank's experience has been in the Arena Football League. He was coach of the Georgia Force — coach of the year in 2005 — and defensive coordinator for the Arizona Rattlers.

In Ryan's previous job as defensive coordinator of the Ravens, he ran an attacking defense with concepts similar to those of the 46. So Plank, one of the most hard-hitting players in Bears history, should be a perfect philosophical match with his new boss.

Meanwhile, Brian Schottenheimer agreed to stay on as the Jets' offensive coordinator despite losing out to Ryan for the top job.

Hard to judge if this is good or bad news. Great player at the position he's hired to coach, but a lot of great players don't make good coaches. Has coaching experience but in a lesser league. This is his first NFL coaching job where he's in charge of something.

I would prefer a guy who has gone from team to team and improved the secondary at each stop, but every coaching staff has to have some coaches that are on their first NFL job, I guess.

Hard to judge if this is good or bad news. Great player at the position he's hired to coach, but a lot of great players don't make good coaches. Has coaching experience but in a lesser league. This is his first NFL coaching job where he's in charge of something.

I would prefer a guy who has gone from team to team and improved the secondary at each stop, but every coaching staff has to have some coaches that are on their first NFL job, I guess.

Yes I agree. I think he is going to only coach safeties though

yup, 4 guys

hell, he can't mess rhodes up any more than he was last year

Interesting that he's an ASSISTANT DB coach .

I wouldnt call it a "lesser" league, its simply a different league. the last person that I remember that came from a "lesser" league was Kurt Warner. Today he's a Superbowl winning, MVP future HOF'er.

Also, this coach was a defensive coordinator as well as coach of the year in that league...so he can coach. I think that its a cood idea for him to be a positions coach given that it is a different league. the league is different but the position is the exact same.

Sounds like a good pick up.

We already did **** the offense, we re-upped Schottenheimer.

Thank you.

Per the title - Plank was one of the most aggressive stickers I ever saw play and would knock himself out on more than one occasion. Opposing recievers really understood the term "footsteps" and you knew if your hand came close to touching the football you were going to get popped in that backfield. I'm surprised and happy to hear that he had a successful Arena career because he was never known for his smarts. The brains of the outfit belonged to Gary Fencik - his Ivy League counterpart.

I like the hire - if he can instill any part of his animal instincts on Hollywood Rhodes and his associates we will have a feared backfield.

Just found this quote by Dougie -

"I don't mind if our players want to help up the guys on the other team after the play...

...so long as they come up limping." - Doug Plank

Archived