Why not bring in Simms for a shot at qb?

4HCrew

Most fans seem to want to give the existing qbs a shot at the starting position. Why not try to bring in Chris Simms to see what he has left and add some competition? He would come cheap and you never know what can happen.

I'm all in favor for bringing in one vet to compete with our guys. Not some huge trade for anyone, but just bring in a vet like simms or leftwich. And have there be a qb battle. I just don't want to hand it over to one guy. If stafford falls to us though, then take him. I just don't see that happening though.

Most fans seem to want to give the existing qbs a shot at the starting position. Why not try to bring in Chris Simms to see what he has left and add some competition? He would come cheap and you never know what can happen.

The argument, IMO, is not one of "Why Not?"

It's one of "Why?"

The burden shouldn't be to prove why he (or any other Vet) is a poor choice, the burden should be why Simms (or any other journeyman castoff) IS a legitimate good choice to aquire, and why.

So tell me, what does Chris Simms career tell you, as it translates to becomming a success in New York? I mean other than him being Phil Simms son.

I am OK with bringing in a relatively low cost younger vet like Simms who still has a potential upside.

I can't see bringing in a vet like Leftwich, Garcia, Anderson, Vick (GOD forbid) who have no more upside than Chad. It is now pretty obvious that Chad can only take a team so far. Why bring in one of these other guys who are no better than Chad? Unless, of course, the Jets have no faith in the kids, which I do not believe is true.

And not to say I see anything special about Simms. But injuries and circumstances have limited his chances, so there is a small chance he could still show something. I don't see the others, who will cost more, having any chance of ever being better than they have been at some point in their careers. And that ain't good enough to waste time and money on.

The argument, IMO, is not one of "Why Not?"

It's one of "Why?"

The burden shouldn't be to prove why he (or any other Vet) is a poor choice, the burden should be why Simms (or any other journeyman castoff) IS a legitimate good choice to aquire, and why.

So tell me, what does Chris Simms career tell you, as it translates to becomming a success in New York? I mean other than him being Phil Simms son.

Because like almost every other QB in the history of the NFL, he took a little time to pick up the pro game before beginning to show signs of being a quality NFL starter.

The only reason he lost his job was due to injury and a clear philisophical difference with his HC from day 1. Gruden did everything he could to not play Simms.

He's still young and would probably come at a relatively cheap price and be given the opportunity to prove he's as good as many thought he was coming out of college.

Unlike other potential young QBs, he's got somebody in his corner to help him through the jungle that is the NY media and fans if in fact there is a time when he needs it.

Low Risk, High Reward

Because like almost every other QB in the history of the NFL, he took a little time to pick up the pro game before beginning to show signs of being a quality NFL starter.

Well, depends upon your definition of "Quality". Even at his best moments, he was still rather average thus far in his career, pre-serious injury. No better than others of his level, like say, Kyle Orton. Not sure I'd want Orton right now either.

The only reason he lost his job was due to injury and a clear philisophical difference with his HC from day 1. Gruden did everything he could to not play Simms.

Well, Gruden IS a bit of a nutbar, especially when it comes to QB's. But with that said, clearly he never felt Simms was worthy, and did everything he could do to replace him with any and every JAG who rolled by his door.

The value of that negative opinion depends on your opinion of Jon Gruden.

He's still young and would probably come at a relatively cheap price and be given the opportunity to prove he's as good as many thought he was coming out of college.

We assume he'd be cheap, we don't know that for sure, but you're probably right. That cheapness comes due to two things.....no resume of quality play, and a quite severe injury history. Add in all the time off he had whilst hurt and benched, and he is likely quite rusty as well.

Also, my memory was not one of him being particularly well regarded out of college.....was he a top 10 pick? I forget honestly, btu I though he was a mid rounder....like Clemens and Ainge, for example. When was he picked?

Unlike other potential young QBs, he's got somebody in his corner to help him through the jungle that is the NY media and fans if in fact there is a time when he needs it.

Low Risk, High Reward

I can only assume you mean notorious Jet-Hater Phil, his pops. Signing a QB based on who his father is, and what his father might offer, is not my idea of msart personal decisions, but to each their own.

I would say Simms is Low Risk, Moderate-journeyman-hold-the-fort-guy-at-best reward. Which is why I won't cry if we aquire him, but I prefer not to.

Well, depends upon your definition of "Quality". Even at his best moments, he was still rather average thus far in his career, pre-serious injury. No better than others of his level, like say, Kyle Orton. Not sure I'd want Orton right now either.

--Orton doesn't have the arm strength or mobility that Simms has. I'd take Simms. JMO.

Well, Gruden IS a bit of a nutbar, especially when it comes to QB's. But with that said, clearly he never felt Simms was worthy, and did everything he could do to replace him with any and every JAG who rolled by his door.

--I always liked Gruden, but I have to wonder about a guy who brings six QBs in to camp and continually punishes those who perform well (Simms is not alone, Jeff Garcia should have played more than he did in his time with the Bucs)

We assume he'd be cheap, we don't know that for sure, but you're probably right. That cheapness comes due to two things.....no resume of quality play, and a quite severe injury history. Add in all the time off he had whilst hurt and benched, and he is likely quite rusty as well.

--I didn't realize he was still under contract with Tenn. My bad. I thought an incentive laden FA deal would have gotten it done.

Also, my memory was not one of him being particularly well regarded out of college.....was he a top 10 pick? I forget honestly, btu I though he was a mid rounder....like Clemens and Ainge, for example. When was he picked?

--Last pick on Day 1, later than I thought, but I do remember hearing a lot of praise for him coming out of college with the biggest knock being that he couldn't win the big game...kinda like Peyton Manning coming out of Tenn.

I can only assume you mean notorious Jet-Hater Phil, his pops. Signing a QB based on who his father is, and what his father might offer, is not my idea of msart personal decisions, but to each their own.

--I don't see Phil as a Jet hater. I've heard him speak highly of several Jet players and I think he just tells it like it is. Let's face it, anyone who tells it like it is and does so in talking about the Jets, is going to come across sounding as if they hate the Jets. Sometimes the truth hurts. I'd say having a dad who has been there is a check in the "pro" box as opposed to the "con" box. Never said a guy should be acquired based solely on who his relatives are, that would be moronic. How far would a team go with Jared Payton as their starting RB?

I would say Simms is Low Risk, Moderate-journeyman-hold-the-fort-guy-at-best reward. Which is why I won't cry if we aquire him, but I prefer not to.

--I have no idea how he would perform if given another shot to play inthe NFL. Nobdy does. However, for the tools he has, the game experience, youth, price and bloodlines all combined, I'd be happy to see him brought in. Although I realize this probably won't happen, this is just an opportunity for quality sports discussion thanks to Phil and JetNation.

Take it from me...you don't want him on this team.

I know he's got limited experience but he did lead a team on a playoff run in his first season as a starter and after throwing 4 INTs in his first two games, threw only only three over the final nine games of the season. Not bad for a first year starter IMO.

I know he's got limited experience but he did lead a team on a playoff run in his first season as a starter and after throwing 4 INTs in his first two games, threw only only three over the final nine games of the season. Not bad for a first year starter IMO.

He is not an NFL QB. He wasn't even a college QB.

He is not an NFL QB. He wasn't even a college QB.

Well, the fact that he is in the NFL who was drafted after playing at a high level in college makes him both of those things regardless of how you feel about the guy.

He may be a great big steaming pile of crap before all is said and done. All I know is that up to this point, based on actual playing time and performance, he's done as much as I'd expect an inexperienced young QB to do. In his only real time on the field he did well enough to lead his team to the playoffs. A lot of "NFL QBs" play for years and never achieve that. He did it in his first season and didn't turn the ball over down the stretch. I'd say he's worth a look, but we can agree to disagree.

I like Simms, but if we are going to bring him in then we have to bring in a more proven veteran as well. Nobody too expensive, but a Byron Leftwich, Rex Grossman or Kyle Boller would be nice to make it a 5 man competition.

my gut tellls me titans will keep simms and jettison VY

The same gut that told you Herm's job was safe after this season ended? lol.

Unless there's some new breaking off-field story coming out, or someone offering up a first round pick (:rl:), there is absolutely zero chance Vince Young with his $2.16M salary is getting cut or traded by the Titans this year. Zero.

Next year? His salary alone jumps to $7.5M and $8.5M the year after that. So it's a possibility then. But barring some other personal-stuff news coming out, there is no way they dump their #3 overall pick while his salary is still low just so they can sign both UFA Kerry Collins and UFA Chris Simms to new contracts.

Simms has thrown a grand total of 2 passes in the past 2 seasons combined, and Tennessee's going to dump Vince Young off for him? lol.

The same gut that told you Herm's job was safe after this season ended? lol.

Unless there's some new breaking off-field story coming out, or someone offering up a first round pick (:rl:), there is absolutely zero chance Vince Young with his $2.16M salary is getting cut or traded by the Titans this year. Zero.

Next year? His salary alone jumps to $7.5M and $8.5M the year after that. So it's a possibility then. But barring some other personal-stuff news coming out, there is no way they dump their #3 overall pick while his salary is still low just so they can sign both UFA Kerry Collins and UFA Chris Simms to new contracts.

Simms has thrown a grand total of 2 passes in the past 2 seasons combined, and Tennessee's going to dump Vince Young off for him? lol.

well it did take 2 weeks for Peeoli to can him

How many games has he started in the NFL? Besides looking like a homo and failing at every stop and had he not been Phil's kid, what has he done?

Who is he? Teams have given him "shots", too many, actually.

Quote:

" but just bring in a vet like simms or leftwich."

SIMMS is a vet?????????

Chris Simms gives us ZERO upgrade to what we have, at least we are "mostly positive" Clemens sux, with Chris it's pretty much proven.and had it not been for daddy I doubt he'd be anywhere right now.

How can you compare what Simms did when given an opportunity to what Clemens did when he got his? I get that Clemens had no chance to succeed and have said many times that I look forward to seeing him play with a decent supporting cast. However, when Simms got his shot he looked good for a first year starter. Can't say I'm a big fan of this "light it up from day one or you're a bust" mentality. Especailly for a QB.

I am OK with bringing in a relatively low cost younger vet like Simms who still has a potential upside.

I can't see bringing in a vet like Leftwich, Garcia, Anderson, Vick (GOD forbid) who have no more upside than Chad. It is now pretty obvious that Chad can only take a team so far. Why bring in one of these other guys who are no better than Chad? Unless, of course, the Jets have no faith in the kids, which I do not believe is true.

And not to say I see anything special about Simms. But injuries and circumstances have limited his chances, so there is a small chance he could still show something. I don't see the others, who will cost more, having any chance of ever being better than they have been at some point in their careers. And that ain't good enough to waste time and money on.

Question for you about Leftwich, could he have done the same thing the Ben did in the superbowl? I think yes, looking at QB's that have upside and can compete from your list I'd say we could bring in simms, leftwich, or garcia. I'd say no anderson and hell no to vick.

Question for you about Leftwich, could he have done the same thing the Ben did in the superbowl? I think yes, looking at QB's that have upside and can compete from your list I'd say we could bring in simms, leftwich, or garcia. I'd say no anderson and hell no to vick.

No, I honestly don't think he could have done what Ben did. He is not bad, but he is immobile (Favre) and injury prone (Chad). Been there, done that.

Garcia is simply too old. Done that too.

No, I don't think Leftwich could've done that. Big Ben is a throwback. Everything he does looks ugly as hell, but in the end he makes plays. Leftwich lacks that creativity, and his release is ridiculously slow.

Of those guys you listed, I wouldn't mind Simms, but have no interest in Leftwich or Garcia. The only reason I don't want Anderson is the fact that he'd cost a pick, and I'm sick of the Jets trading picks away. Otherwise he'd fit the bill for me. I want a younger guy with a few starts under his belt. I'd give J.P. Losman a look, too.

I'd be hoping that one of the QB's on our roster could beat out any of these guys, but if they can't I think it'd be good to have one of them available.

I would think that Simms being a lefty causes protection issues. Woody rather than DBrick would have his blindside. It would also cause an adjustment to the playbook for running plays because of the way handoffs are made.

For a guy simply competing for the starting job while the organization hopes that Clemens/Ratliff win it, that's a lot of adjustment.

Yeah, I agree. Ben does everything ugly, but man he gets it done. I think we need to bring in a vet to compete and be a leader in the locker room. If we're no on lefty, garcia, and no to anderson because I don't want to give up a pick for him either. Who do we bring in? Maybe Warner? He's not going to want to compete for a spot though. I'm thinking he's going to want the job coming in. Would you guys feel comfortable going in with the three we have?

Archived