Houshmanzadeh & Scott

Jets1Fan

I don't understand why people want him. Everybody complains that we have to many possesion receivers and yet many want to go out and sign a big name possession receiver. On top of that he's not the youngest guy in the world and will be very expensive. Can someone please explain the point to me??

Question, anyone know or see how we could monetarily sign FA's Scott and Houshmanzadeh?? Just wondering...

We have the cap room, but I'd pass on TJ, even if he was interested. Just not sure he's the right "fit" on this team. By that, I mean the type of receiver he is. I see him as more of a "possession" guy, not a big play type guy who demands a double.

Just my opinion.

We have the cap room, but I'd pass on TJ, even if he was interested. Just not sure he's the right "fit" on this team. By that, I mean the type of receiver he is. I see him as more of a "possession" guy, not a big play type guy who demands a double.

Just my opinion.

+1

He's a perfect fit for Philly or Indy, not here.

Houshmanzadeh announced on Sirius the 4 teams he was interested in playing for and the Jets weren't one of them. I can only remember three of the four but those three were the Eagles, Colts & Giants.

I do not like the guy enough to give him stupid money. He is okay, not great. And isn't he getting long in the tooth?

Housh is not what we need right now. He doesn't provide an explosive threat.

After the release of Coles, that's not necessarily true.

Cotchery is the only WR on our roster with meaningful starting experience. We had a weak WR corp last year, and we just lost our #1 guy. I know many people are high on Clowney, but he is completely unproven. Even if we take a WR high in the draft this year, the experience factor of our receivers is a huge red flag going into the season.

After the release of Coles, that's not necessarily true.

Cotchery is the only WR on our roster with meaningful starting experience. We had a weak WR corp last year, and we just lost our #1 guy. I know many people are high on Clowney, but he is completely unproven. Even if we take a WR high in the draft this year, the experience factor of our receivers is a huge red flag going into the season.

If Coles was our # 1 guy, it was marginal at best. Statistically, he and Cotchery were almost identical.

Factor in age, attitude, and dollars, not to mention numerous concussions for Coles and I can understand why this move was made.

You make a good point, though. We are thin there at the moment, especially with this move. But I have to believe there is a plan to replace LT. I think Tanny will get another guy to better compliment Cotch, either in FA or the draft. That'll put them in a position where we don't have to count on an unproven guy like Clowney, which will also give him some time to develop if indeed he has what it takes to be a game breaker eventually.

I guess you never know but the rumors are that neither Scott nor TJ want to land here. And now that we cut LC, lost our only blocking TEs and possibly even Brandon Moore, we got a bunch of cap money and no one good to spend it on.

I'm going to withhold judgment for awhile, but this offseason is looking terrible to me so far.

If Coles was our # 1 guy, it was marginal at best. Statistically, he and Cotchery were almost identical.

Factor in age, attitude, and dollars, not to mention numerous concussions for Coles and I can understand why this move was made.

You make a good point, though. We are thin there at the moment, especially with this move. But I have to believe there is a plan to replace LT. I think Tanny will get another guy to better compliment Cotch, either in FA or the draft. That'll put them in a position where we don't have to count on an unproven guy like Clowney, which will also give him some time to develop if indeed he has what it takes to be a game breaker eventually.

With a few exceptions (like DeSean Jackson last year), receivers don't develop their first year. So we now have to basically pray that we land a major FA or this receiving group will be about as good as the Titans. Midseason you'll be wishing we had Justin McDroppins back.

Just my opinion.

With what will most likely be a young, inexperienced QB running the offense, TJ would be a perfect fit. A dependable possession receiver who has consistently caught 90 or more passes per year. He didn't have a bunch of TDs or yards last year but when you consider that he played 12 games with an inexperienced backup at QB and the only major stat that dropped off was his yards per catch I'd say that was damned impressive.

I'd take TJ in a heartbeat.

With a few exceptions (like DeSean Jackson last year), receivers don't develop their first year. So we now have to basically pray that we land a major FA or this receiving group will be about as good as the Titans. Midseason you'll be wishing we had Justin McDroppins back.

We're talking like Coles was a guy that other teams game planned against. The guy averaged about 12 yards a catch with about 5 yards of that being yard after the catch.

I don't mean to bash LC because I liked him, but he's not the same guy he was and in the worst case, I think we can get somebody to do what he did for alot less than 7 million a year.

Let's see what happens over the next few months.

And with all due respect, you or I could be playing receiver and I'd never wish for McCareins. :)

Housh is not what we need right now. He doesn't provide an explosive threat.

At this point, especially if we are going into the season with someone on the current roster at Qb, Housh is exactly who we need. Someone that can get open and has outstanding hands. We can draft a burner or give the Clown a shot.

I honestly don't think it's that big a deal. Cotchery has already proven he can equal, if not exceed Coles' production and I would bet good money that if given the #2 or #3 spot, Stuckey can improve upon his 32 catches, 360 yards and 3 tds.

Also, it's not that uncommon for receivers to put up something along the lines of 700+ yards and a handful of tds, which is good production when we are going to be a run-oriented offense with a good defense.

Besides DJax, both eddie royal and donnie avery had pretty good years. What do they all have in common?? Blazing speed and good change of direction.

Eddie Royal; 91 receptions, 980 yards and 5 tds.

Donnie Avery; 53 receptions, 674 yards and 3 tds.

There's no doubt in my mind, with DHB's combination of speed, quickness and size, he could put up very similar numbers.

For a quick reference here are all there combine numbers:

DHB - 6'1.5", 210 lbs, 4.3 40, 38.5" vert, 4.18 shuttle, 6.8 3cone

Djax - 5'9.5", 169 lbs, 4.35 40 (combine), 34.5" vert, 4.19 shuttle (proday), 6.82 3cone (pd)

Avery - 5'11", 192 lbs, 4.43 40(combine) 4.34 (proday), 37.5" vert, 3.91 shuttle (pd), 6.3 3cone (not sure if thats correct)

Royal - 5'9.5", 184 lbs, 4.39 40, 36" vert, 4.34 shuttle, 7.07 3cone

Compared to three of the most, if not the most sucessfull rookie receivers DHB clearly has the best size. He has the fastest 40 time, best vertical leap, 2nd fastest shuttle time and second fastest 3cone (if avery ran a 6.3 that's the fastest ever recorded by far).

It seems as though the shuttle and 3cone drills have been the best for spotting talent. I'm not saying that these numbers make him a guaranteed stud, but they don't hurt.

I honestly don't think it's that big a deal. Cotchery has already proven he can equal, if not exceed Coles' production and I would bet good money that if given the #2 or #3 spot, Stuckey can improve upon his 32 catches, 360 yards and 3 tds.

Also, it's not that uncommon for receivers to put up something along the lines of 700+ yards and a handful of tds, which is good production when we are going to be a run-oriented offense with a good defense.

Besides DJax, both eddie royal and donnie avery had pretty good years. What do they all have in common?? Blazing speed and good change of direction.

Eddie Royal; 91 receptions, 980 yards and 5 tds.

Donnie Avery; 53 receptions, 674 yards and 3 tds.

There's no doubt in my mind, with DHB's combination of speed, quickness and size, he could put up very similar numbers.

For a quick reference here are all there combine numbers:

DHB - 6'1.5", 210 lbs, 4.3 40, 38.5" vert, 4.18 shuttle, 6.8 3cone

Djax - 5'9.5", 169 lbs, 4.35 40 (combine), 34.5" vert, 4.19 shuttle (proday), 6.82 3cone (pd)

Avery - 5'11", 192 lbs, 4.43 40(combine) 4.34 (proday), 37.5" vert, 3.91 shuttle (pd), 6.3 3cone (not sure if thats correct)

Royal - 5'9.5", 184 lbs, 4.39 40, 36" vert, 4.34 shuttle, 7.07 3cone

Compared to three of the most, if not the most sucessfull rookie receivers DHB clearly has the best size. He has the fastest 40 time, best vertical leap, 2nd fastest shuttle time and second fastest 3cone (if avery ran a 6.3 that's the fastest ever recorded by far).

It seems as though the shuttle and 3cone drills have been the best for spotting talent. I'm not saying that these numbers make him a guaranteed stud, but they don't hurt.

Jon McGraw 3-cone = 6.51 seconds. Heading into this combine, it was still the 5th-fastest ever.

The record-holder is the great Sedrick Curry at 6.45 seconds.

Jon McGraw 3-cone = 6.51 seconds. Heading into this combine, it was still the 5th-fastest ever.

The record-holder is the great Sedrick Curry at 6.45 seconds.

yep he was worth it

There's always going to be a few players who have good numbers like this who don't pan out, but from what i've seen, the short shuttle and 3cone drills have been a better estimation of future production than just a 40.

DHB has good college production in the situation he was in, great straight-line speed to go along with some fantastic agility numbers.

I can't speak for Curry or McGraw, but DHB performed quite well during the WR drills. His gauntlet performance was awesome.

There's always going to be a few players who have good numbers like this who don't pan out, but from what i've seen, the short shuttle and 3cone drills have been a better estimation of future production than just a 40.

DHB has good college production in the situation he was in, great straight-line speed to go along with some fantastic agility numbers.

I can't speak for Curry or McGraw, but DHB performed quite well during the WR drills. His gauntlet performance was awesome.

I copied these lists of 1999-2007 combine records. Some good names in there, but not too many. It doesn't exactly read like a "who's who" of the top NFL players.

Fastest 20-Yard Shuttle Times

3.73 - Kevin Kasper, (WR), Iowa - 2001

3.76 - Deion Branch, (WR), Louisville - 2002

3.78 - Dunta Robinson, (CB), South Carolina - 2004

3.79 - Champ Bailey, (CB), Georgia - 1999

3.82 - Dante' Hall, (RB), Texas A&M - 2000

3.83 - Jason Allen, (FS), Tennessee - 2006

3.83 - Kevin Bentley, (OLB), NorthWestern - 2002

3.83 - Terence Newman, (CB), Kansas State - 2003

3.84 - Justin Beriault, (FS), Ball State - 2005

3.84 - Carlos Rogers, (CB), Auburn - 2005

3.84 - Troy Walters, (WR), Stanford - 2000