PFT.com| Elam signed with Browns

hoping4ASuperBowl

The Browns have reportedly signed restricted free agent S Abram Elam to a one-year, $1.5 million offer sheet.

The Jets were willing to retain Elam for the $1.01M low tender, but it's hard to say if they'll match. Rex Ryan has no history with him and the Jets are well set at safety with former third-round pick Eric Smith behind Jim Leonhard and Kerry Rhodes. They'll have to decide if a fourth safety is worth $1.5 million.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/10/mangini-makes-a-move-on-elam/

if we would give him 1.1 why not go up 400,000 thousand? hes a good player, hard hitter. plus we screw mangini haha

1.01.. so it's going up 500K (490). You have to determine if Elam is worth 1.5M, or can you get something similar for the price? The extra cap hit is 490K, and Im sure the 1.5M is guaranteed. It's only 1 year so I'd match

The Browns have reportedly signed restricted free agent S Abram Elam to a one-year, $1.5 million offer sheet.

The Jets were willing to retain Elam for the $1.01M low tender, but it's hard to say if they'll match. Rex Ryan has no history with him and the Jets are well set at safety with former third-round pick Eric Smith behind Jim Leonhard and Kerry Rhodes. They'll have to decide if a fourth safety is worth $1.5 million.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/10/mangini-makes-a-move-on-elam/

Set at safety with Smith?!?? :rl::rl:

I'd like them to keep Elam, but if they decide he's not worth the extra 1/2 million then so be it. Either way, they need something more than Smith for depth at safety, but if that means picking up someone else, taking someone in the draft or even an UDFA if that's how they want to go about it then so be it.

The kid was always making killer plays. He started to make more of those that killed the opposition rather than us. I hope we come up with the 400k and keep him. He will do a much better job with Ryan's go beat their ass D then Tubby's read and react.

Just a little insight for those talking about how the Jets should do it since its "only" another .5 mil, here's a few things to keep in mind: The Jets could've tendered him at 1.5 million if they wanted and then he would be theirs unless someone was willing to give up a second round pick for him (not happening). Clearly at the time, they chose that extra money wasn't worth it. While its "only" that much more, that amount is nearly 50% more than what the Jets currently offered him. When you consider it that way, its a big difference.

Don't get me wrong, I certainly wouldn't have a problem if the Jets decided to match, but I'm also not going to be overly shocked if they choose not to.

I hope the Jets dont match because Elam is terrible in coverage and not as good as everybody thinks as a tackler. He would prohibit Rhodes from taking chances in the secondary with his terrible coverage, and limit our defense. Time to move on....he would be easy to replace.

Archived